Quotes from the Good & the Great of Trading

Justin Mamis, The Nature of Risk

There is, in fact, little spontaneous about intuition

It is, as the dictionary tells us, "immediate,"

but that's clocking the reaction, not where the reaction comes from

Although it is "nonarticulatable" no time, no language it derives over time from experience distilled into concentration

It is illusrated by the actor who is "an overnight success," after having worked at his craft for the previous 20 years

Intuition is an intense discipline, not really as emotional as it seems. One takes the risk without being distracted

Justin Mamis, The Nature of Risk

George Soros
"I don't play the game by a particular set of rules; I look for changes in the rules of the game."

Variant perception explained as eloquently as it can be explained.

In my early days as a trader I was exceptionally lucky to have a mentor. A man of senior years, kind manner and with the sharpness of wit and presence of mind only a veteran trader has. “Trading.” He said. “In no other field of human endeavor of which I have experience do so many enter with expectations of achieving immediate and overwhelming success, but with no intention, desire or expectation of expending the tremendous effort necessary in acquiring the appropriate level of skill, knowledge and experience required to ensure that success. And while initial underestimation of the amount of effort required can be forgiven, what stuns me still, is when they are given guidance from those who know as to just how much graft is required, they still believe they can do it without. Why is that?

I know quite a few traders. That is, a few who have been trading a significant length of time and are consistently successful. I have also known a far higher number of ‘bright stars’ who burst upon the trading firmament, only to be engulfed by their own incandescence a short while after reaching their zenith.

Trading is not a get rich quick endeavor. Or if it is for you, the probability of you keeping your new found wealth over any usefully appreciable amount of time is very low. If you’re in that happy and dangerous situation - stop now and do something else! Anything else.

The only successful traders are those who have been doing it for a long while and they are successful because they have been doing it a long while. Circular? Yes. Helpful? Not at first glance. If you’re looking to find the Holy Grail you should switch off at this point.

For those who want to learn, they need to listen. And listen in a very different way to that which they are used to.

In the same way the human ear must physically detect acoustic vibrations to hear sounds, so must the trader train him or herself to detect information from across all the physical senses and from the supra-physical senses too.

Some will call it “traders’ intuition”, others “being in sync with the market”. But it goes much further than that in that. You must develop skills in order to develop skills. Do you understand this? The skills you must develop in order to develop the skills you need for trading successfully are focus, concentration, awareness and absolute and total commitment. To understand the difference between awareness and perception. And to train yourself to delay the transition of one into the other. This is just the start. If I were to tell you, honestly and simply the process you will have to go through, the effort, the hours, the physical and mental strain and the contortions of mind you will need to perform – you would either not believe me or if you did, would choose not to do it. Who in their right mind would? But for those few who have no choice, who are burning with the passion to trade, the absolute need to trade, they will willingly follow and inwardly recognize and comprehend that what I am saying is true. Because they know it can’t be that easy. Or every fool and his dog would be doing it. These are the sensible ones. The ones that can learn.”

This didn’t work for me. I didn’t want to go through all that hassle. I just wanted to trade. And quite frankly, I didn’t need to go through all that. Why? Because I could do it quicker, easier and make more money more quickly. Because I was special. Above average.

Years later and after serious initial capital losses, I realized I was the successful trader I had started out wanting to be. Through my own route. Ending up at that same destination my mentor had tried so hard to tell me about. I had learned my way. The hard way. The expensive way. I attempted to trade before I developed the characteristics of a successful trader. The wrong way round. The way most would-be traders do it. And he was right. If I had known just what would be involved I would never have undertaken the journey.

Has this put you off? Good. Because if my just telling you this can do it, you would never have lasted the journey anyway. I've saved you time, money and torment.

If however, you have no choice in the matter, you're probably made of trader stuff. Not only will you learn to trade, you will have had to develop skills that will have a value to you far greater than mere trading profits.

I'll post again when I get the time and develop this thread further.

Last edited:
ASC - How do you learn to trade successfully?

Find those traders who are long-term, consistently successful. Watch what they do and how they do it. Listen to what they say. And then you do the same. Simple. Your probabilities of success are going to be so much higher than most others who have not had the opportunity. How do you get to watch successful traders? Ask them! Sure some will say “no”, but not all of them. And if you haven’t got the chutzpah to simply step up to the plate and ask – forget trading – because you’ll need to be far more brazen with yourself than you ever will with anyone else. Find out, perhaps even from these boards which traders seem to have what it takes and ask them if they’d be willing to let you come watch them trade for a day, an hour – whatever. Don’t assume if they say no they’re no good or mean. Some folks feel comfortable helping in this manner, some don’t. That’s all.

If you can’t get free time with a trader, buy time with a trader. If there are professional trading coaches or mentors and they have a good track record – buy some time with them. You may encounter a degree of anti-commercial feeling from some on this issue, but I’ve never understood why this is. You don’t resent any other professional charging for their time, efforts and skill. You don’t refuse to pay for a book written by a trader. Just make sure the trainer is going to give you what you want or at least – you know what you’re going to get. With a book you can skim thru it to make sure. You can do much the same before spending money and time with a trainer. Ask around. Of course, getting it free is going to a whole let better on your bottom line and if you’re lucky enough to get contact with one or more mentors on a friendly basis, you get all the good feelings that come from a non-commercial relationship too. There’s no guarantee paying for training will put you in any better position or do so more quickly than other method, but if that’s all that’s open to you and all the appropriate due diligence is carried out, treat it as an investment.

What if your time, free or not, with your trading mentor or trainer turns out to be less than useful? Depends. How do you know it was not useful? What have you learned you haven’t realized you’ve learned? What aspects do you feel were not covered? Why not? Whose fault was that? Right! Start taking responsibility. While you’re a recipient of free knowledge from a mentor you need to observe the appropriate conduct and etiquette for your position, but you can still ask questions you want answers for. Might not always get them, directly, but you can ask. With a paid trainer you can be more direct, though politeness is always in order. Sign of a pro trader. A real pro trader. Politeness is the sign of a pro in anything.

If you can’t find a mentor who will work with you or can’t afford to buy time then you’ll need to use books and bulletin boards. Books are a very cost effective way to learn about anything, especially if you use a library. Bulletin boards also, but you may need to cut thru a deal of chaff to find the seed you’re looking for. Knowing which is which is harder than you might imagine. Writing style counts for little. It’s tough, much tougher than getting time with a pro, but it can work.

Concentrate on the characteristics of trading personality first and foremost. Do not allow yourself to become dazzled by systems and methods and indicators and talk of big profits. The profits come as a consequence of conduct and personality. They don’t come before. Actually, sometimes they do come before. But that’s a big mistake. Profits accrued ‘accidentally’ are normally given back to the markets a few times. That’s the harder way to learn. Your choice of course.

Is cultivation of your personality going to be easy and fun? No! Are you going to be able to stay focused enough to do it? Unlikely. Maybe one in a one thousand will. I’m plucking that figure from the air, but it is based on what I feel, with a great many years in this business, represents a reasonable approximation based on the numbers of would-be traders I’ve met compared with those who have made it. There will be an almost unbearable desire to get back to what attracted you to the markets in the first place: easy profits, easy living and the patterns! What you are going to need to do is to remodel your personality in order to accommodate the raw information presented to you by the markets. Without judgment. You are going to need to understand in an almost visceral way, the basic mechanics of the markets and the role each of the market participants play within those markets. There’s no way round this if you are truly seeking success in this endeavor. To say it is painful – physically and mentally – is not hyperbole. The impact on your currently ‘normal’ life will be immense. People who know you well now, friends, relatives, family will wonder what is happening to you. The dedication required to this art is nothing less than everything you have right now. And you will probably not understand me when I say the effort you will eventually have had to put into the exercise will be so far beyond your current comprehension of what you think is humanly, physically possible for you that if I were to give it all to you in one go – you’d think me mad. If you don’t already. You will exist, while trading at any rate, in a universe quite different to the mass of humanity.

Are traders born or made? It is quite pointless to enter into the Nurture v Nature debate on development of successful trading skills or any other topic. It has been demonstrated to me quite conclusively this is impossible to prove one way or the other. We can but try. Ability and opportunity. Control.

While it’s true successful traders do usually have a quite distinct and quite separate trading personality to there everyday personality, they don’t normally start out attempting to develop it as a separate entity – it just ends up that way for the most part. But there’s nothing stopping you doing exactly that. I would recommend you do precisely that.

What are the personality characteristics of successful traders?

Unassuming. Modest. Almost serene. Aware. Objective. Not at all the ‘Wall Street Trader’ macho, dog-eat-dog type portrayed in the movies. More the Robert Redford type in the movie “The Natural”. Good movie. Analogy and metaphor are very powerful. And you can use them on yourself just as easily as others. I recognize these traits among pros in many, quite disparate areas of enterprise. Not just in trading. You get it a lot in those people who develop skill in craftwork. I don’t know what that connection is. As I said above, it’s almost like a separate personality. In the bar, at the game – they are amiable, quiet, confident, intelligent. Good company. When trading – they appear to others as direct, almost brusque. A hard edge. You see, it isn’t a game. They are quite Selfless when they trade. It isn’t ‘them’ that you see or experience (the ‘them’ you were with in the bar or at the track).

They keep their own counsel. You’ll feel as if they’re holding back. They are. And it’s not what you think. There isn’t a special system or method they’re not going to tell you about (although they’re not likely to divulge all their secrets) what it is they’re not sure about is how much you’ll understand. Giving you something you don’t understand is not the major cause for concern. Giving you something you think you understand is. If they’re considerate and kind, they’ll give you what they think you can take. But beware pushing too hard – you’re in a privileged position and at any point the trader personality is potentially going to snap back and metaphorically kick your butt out if you get in the way of too much of his/her action.

My advice if you find yourself in this lucky position is simply to watch and to make a note of what you want to ask when the trader isn’t obviously busy. Try to focus on their approach, mindset, what they might be thinking and saying to themselves. Sometimes, it’s not what is explicated, but what is unconsciously intimated that makes the difference. By all means note what they are doing in the basic platform sense – how they trade – what markets, instruments, indicators (if any) etc. But don’t allow your primary focus to be taken off THEM. They’ll normally initiate conversation with you when they remind themselves of your presence. If they seem a million miles away – they are! A good method for discussing things with your mentor is to note them down during the time you have with them and then either rerun them later – out of trading hours or during a quiet spell – anytime they look ready to talk. Email can also be a good medium for kicking around stuff that would take too much time, effort or energy during trading time.

The traders mindset is very simple. You could try and emulate what you ‘see’ the trader doing and what they say, the way they say it – and that’s a good start. But the essence of what they are doing on the physical plane comes from a mental construct.

It’s an attitude of mind. The correct manner of physical and mental comportment – internally and externally. An understanding that you will be willingly and unconsciously pushing yourself to your physical and intellectual limits and taking on, from your current limited perspective, far more than you could possibly ever imagine. This isn’t just about trading – this applies equally to any endeavor in which you wish to excel. If I can give you just one small hint as to the core of developing the necessary attitude of mind it is this: Not Caring.

If you wonder why it’s so difficult to read my words, that’s OK. It’s meant to be. If I gave it in neat little, easily comprehensible parcels you’d think you understood – which you don’t. You can’t take this stuff head-on consciously. It has to slip in the back door, unconsciously. You’ll know the feeling – you’ll feel puzzled and confused. That’s what you’re looking for.

For those of you who find yourselves impatient at me prattling on about this ‘stuff’ and eager to get to indicators and systems and such like, I will get to them in due course. But not before you’ve lost patience.

I am reminded of a Zen story about a monk who wanted to become a chess master. He was very proud of his quick mind and his ability to follow his opponents move in a flash with his own. His chess teacher, a wise old monk of very advanced years (they’re always wise old monks of very advanced years) decided to teach him how to become the master he wanted to be – and could be. When he played the young monk, he would take a little more time with each successive move. Until it became almost unbearable for the young monk to play the old master. Hours and hours would stretch away from him in absolute quiet and blankness – quietness of spirit - as the old monk considered what to any novice chess player would have been the obvious and only single move open to him.

Last edited:
ASC - Initital Motivation

My motivation to start this thread was to provide help in direct response to a poster on another thread who felt those that were trying their best to help him there, weren’t really connecting with him, or others in his position, in a way that was immediately useful to them. This is nobody’s fault. It’s very difficult to make clear in plain language, precisely what it is someone new to trading and even more so a trader with a little experience, really needs to know about trading – and more importantly about themselves in relation to the reality of trading. Looking back over my last couple of posts, valid as I believe in all openness they are, they’ve not been that much more useful, if at all. The gulf between the current platform of understanding for many traders and the vital necessity they have, but don’t yet realize they have, to occupy an absolutely central location within the undifferentiated continuum of the real universe in which a consistently successful trader exists is too wide. And as deeply as I know the subject matter (too deeply for my own good I’m sure), I’m not skilled or trained nor do I have any experience in relaying that knowledge to others. This is only a reflection of my inability and none whatsoever on those I am attempting to assist. We all started where we all start.

There are two options which immediately spring to mind in these circumstances: Give up or carry on regardless. Giving up is absolutely unacceptable to me. Having voluntarily opted to assist, I must do my best to fulfill that obligation. Quality is key in all you do. If it’s not, make that a priority today. And every day thereafter. Nothing else comes through as clearly. Especially by its absence. Carrying on regardless is equally unacceptable. Doing what you’re doing when you know it’s not working has a certain lunacy associated with it. I speak more of this below. By the way, I spend a great deal of time offline preparing my posts – I don’t write them in one go while on the boards. They evolve over a few days. Get modified. Re-read. Re-written. That’s how I know what’s coming next or later – because I’ve already written it. I’ve just come back up here to add this preface as the last part of my post before I go online and post it. Just thought you’d like to know. If you think my writing style is impenetrable, you should see the first drafts. So I need to change what I’m doing and the way I’m doing it to obtain the result I want to obtain. You don’t need to do anything, yet. I don’t know the exact method, but the general direction I need to go in for now has become clear to me.

My posts thus far have been largely devoid of any basic trading related information and that’s because it’s the least important thing you need to concentrate on in becoming a successful trader. But in trying to work out an approach by which I can be of help to the widest group of people, with varying degrees of experience and development, it occurs to me I perhaps need to consider ‘grounding’ what I’m going to be talking about in subsequent posts, in something a little less ‘far out’ and provide a framework using subject matter more obviously related to the ‘normal’ traders’ universe. By ‘normal’ I mean your normal – not mine. Mine is quite different. I assure you I’m taking this route only to lull you into a false sense of security and hook you into playing along with me until such time as I can let you have it full force, point blank. You have been warned. We need to get down to a common enough denominator in order to develop these ideas and build up to a level to which few have ever considered – let alone attained. I don’t see why this isn’t possible. To do this in this medium. I am going to lose a few along the way. Unavoidable. But this is not going to be an easy journey. Feel free to duck out at any point. Let’s get down to trading basics – just for now, to help us move back a step in order to move forward.

It is of absolutely no real interest or use for you to know why other traders trade what they trade or how they trade. Their methods. Their systems. Their magic indicators. Their magic numbers. The phase of the Moon. Gann, Gartley, Fibonacci, Pivots, Support, Resistance, Elliot Waves, Ocean Waves, Wyckoff, coin toss, trends, reversals. You always trade for yourself. What you select to trade and how you trade them are your business. Quite literally. Sure you can try on other traders’ systems, markets, instruments, indicators and see what you get out of them, but never assume you’ll be able to just adopt someone else’s ideas to fit you. Actually, I’d counsel you to always take as an active hypothesis that nothing anyone else gives you is ever going to work for you. That includes advice. Especially mine. Challenge all. Challenge everything. Think for yourself. It sounds glib and obvious but I promise you truly, few actually do. Because it takes energy and effort. Going out on your own.

With the best will in the world and assuming positive intent all round, you can be sure, in anyone else’s system, commercial or freely given, they will have quite unconsciously left one or more vital factors out of the definition/description/programming of their system and will personally be utilizing it with varying degrees of discretional and subjective interpretational slants of which you have absolutely no cognizance. Because neither do they.

Does this tie in with my recommendation you find a trading mentor and for you to mirror them? Of course. I keep stressing, you are striving to develop the mindset, the attitude, the conduct, the internal and external comportment - the day-to-dayness of what they are doing is of secondary interest to you. Probably it isn’t if you’re not already successfully trading on a consistent basis. You’re more likely hooked on these secondary issues. Wake up. It’s the attitude and conduct you are looking to emulate. These are much harder to identify, to recognize and to inculcate. That’s why you’re less interested and precisely why you shouldn’t be. You’re perhaps expecting me now to come up with a way for you to do this. I don’t know of one. I especially do not know of a way of helping you achieve this without actually working with a trader. But I will think about a way of doing it if it can be done. And I think I’ll need to go round the houses to do it. I still recommend you do as I suggested and simply ask a trader if you can come watch them trade. You’ll benefit enormously from the experience, but you’ll still have to do the hard bit – the personal development bit, yourself. No way round that.

While you are wondering just what you should or could be working with at the basic mechanical level, make a shortlist from stocks, indices, futures, options, currencies – from all, one or more of these categories and others. Whatever takes your fancy. Review them periodically to ensure they meet your volatility, range, volume, price criteria. Bring in new ones that do. Drop old ones that don’t. Select only from those that you have on your shortlist. If you don’t know what I’m talking about or haven’t considered what relevance “volatility, range, volume, price criteria” might have on your trading, go do some research. It will pay dividends. And don’t imagine by volatility I necessarily mean high volatility. If you did, you’re switching to perception too quickly. Like that young hot-shot chess playing monk. How might low volatility be tradable? I don’t need an answer. I want YOU to think about it. In answer to the question ‘How often should I review them?’ – you’ll know. There isn’t any set time period. They go stale. You’ll simply know. Having said that, I have instruments in my shortlist that have been in it since year dot. I recommend concentrating your active attention on no more than 5 or 6 instruments at a time. That’s what I do. At any point in time I have a shortlist of a couple hundred. Out of those couple hundred I have a scanner that will pick up those that are most likely to be of interest over the forward period of time I’m interested in looking at. Every now and again I’ll look at my shortlist and anything that hasn’t ‘featured’ in the last few months – goes. Additions to my shortlist occur thru the standard accretion of impinging on my conscious domain repeatedly over a short period of time thru whatever channels it chooses to adopt to do so. I’m not going to discuss scanners (do your research, I built my own) or what constitutes ‘interest’ on my part (of absolutely no use to you). From those highlighted from my shortlist I actively concentrate on 5 or 6 maximum. What does it mean to actively concentrate? I’ll post on this subject another time. It’s a big topic and tough enough to adequately describe to another - even in person, and using my hands. I find when I try and actively concentrate on more than 5 or 6 my performance suffers. But experiment. Try handling 100 instruments at a time. Don’t assume my limitations are your limitations. Or they will become so without you ever having tested your own capability envelope. But this is a way off.

An Edge. Having a system that statistically provides you with more winning trades than losing trades and where your average profit is greater than your average loss – is your edge. Some would argue that you don’t even need to have more winning trades than losing trades with proper money management, and I never argue with anyone. But for my part, I like the comfort and confidence of being right more than being wrong. This is not ego – it is commercial commonsense.

While I am mentioning money management (and while I’m at it risk management and risk-reward) these are all vital to your trading plan and covered so well and so fully just about everywhere that I don’t need to get into them here. As I write this I wonder just why these issues are covered so comprehensively and occur to frequently? Why would this be? Is it because it is so important and each new wave of traders needs to be told? Yes. I think it is. It’s all so very important and if you haven’t studied these aspects of trading then do so now. It’s wrong to call them aspects of trading. They’re not limited to trading. It’s basic business. Trading is a business. Luckily you don’t need an MBA. Personally, I think you should. So your edge is ratio of winning trades to losing trades (more winners than losers!) the profit on each winning trade on average should be larger than the average loss on each losing trade. Your money management should ensure you are not taken out of the game and your exposure at any time is survivable if the donkey runs off with your boots. Your risk management should ensure you only take trades which have a high probability of fitting within your criteria for winning/losing trades and average win/average loss.

I’m not going to say more about these basics of trading. If any of this is new to you, or news to you, do some research.

Indicators. I’ve made money in the markets using indicators. I’ve made money in the markets without using indicators. I have found it’s also just as easy to lose money in the markets using indicators and equally easy when not using indicators. It doesn’t make a great deal of difference if it gives you an edge. Don’t get side-tracked into arguments about which way is better – there isn’t one better way – it’s what works for you. True, all indicators are derivatives of a combination of time/price/volume. They can’t be anything other. But if one line or 20 lines of indicators helps you better understand what the markets are doing and most likely will be doing, then use them.

Anything which attracts you to spending more time looking at price action and charts is a good thing while you’re learning to develop your ‘eye’. If you like lots of colored lines and histograms and such, why not. You can even color them in with crayons if it does it for you. Nobody’s business but your own.

Timeframes. Don’t think you need to work the intraday markets like the ‘big boys’ do. I am one of the ‘big boys’ and I trade whatever timeframe makes most sense. And intraday isn’t necessarily where it’s at anyway. I can quite comfortably take opposite positions simultaneously on the same instrument in different timeframes. I can handle that. Time is an extremely flexible concept once you get it. Until you find your feet, it makes most sense for you to experiment and work with a chart that doesn’t move too quickly. Use multiple timeframes to confirm and consolidate your view of the market by all means. But to trade or experiment with – pick one that you can easily accommodate. If you stay with me, you’ll come to learn your view of the market – take any snapshot now – will be radically different using that same snapshot after you’ve got what it is I’m trying to help you find, if you manage to find it. But it’s going to be tough enough. Don’t put any additional pressure of yourself by going for the 1min or 5min charts – that’s macho, that’s ego, and that can kill your trading.

Why do so many not see the obvious? They keep doing the same thing the same wrong way. With the wrong result. Or worse, with the occasional ‘right’ result just often enough to keep them from having to consciously face the awful truth about their incompetence and the lies they tell to themselves unconsciously and to keep them hooked on trading as a potential means to limitless and easy wealth. Potential wealth. Not real. It will never materialize for gamblers. They don’t change anything. Just keeping doing it and expecting it to suddenly work for no particular reason they can think of. And this is rarely due to stupidity. I haven’t met too many stupid people who want to trade. The basic interest level and subject matter seems to attract those with above average in general intelligence I’ve found. There is a big difference between focused perseverance and dogged stupidity. Making money in the markets is easy. I made it really complex in the beginning. The more I got it wrong the more I loaded up on things I just knew I simply should have had before so as not to have been so wrong – and managed to get it even more wrong. Even something as simple and useful to me still as channels. I did the exact opposite of what you should be doing. And it still felt right! I didn’t know I was going in the wrong direction and yet all the signs were there for me to see – clear as day. And when they do see the obvious – they ignore it. Why is that? The more I write the more I know I need to write. I’ll cover awareness and perception as part of active concentration in another post. That’s important.

What I do want to finish off with in this post is what it is you aren’t getting. We are like narrow band receivers. The subset of all possible data we are aware of is limited by our physical abilities (as humans) and within the set of humans, by our own individual limitations and excellences. We accept those limitations. We ‘hear’ only a narrow range of acoustically produced vibrations which impinge on our ear drums and register as ‘sound’ We ‘see’ only a very narrow range of the electro-magnetic radiation spectrum which impinges on the rods and cells in our eyes and register as light and color. We ‘feel’ another small sub-range of the electro-magnetic radiation spectrum as ‘heat’. There are those that have developed the ability to ‘see’ outside the normal spectrum of visible light, to ‘hear’ outside the normal spectrum of acoustic sounds, to ‘feel’ and ‘sense’ beyond the bounds (which are really not bounds in any true sense at all – that’s a vital aspect which you will have to experience for yourself to understand and to believe) which we typically accept as normal. You need to think about what ‘average’ means. What has to exist for the average to exist? We have developed words which ‘mean’ things to us. We think thoughts and are so busy with the content of the thought, we rarely give any consideration as to from where they really originate or what their purpose may have been. Past tense. Thoughts are always in the past. That’s partly, only just very partly, why you will come to learn that what you ‘think’ of the market is actually quite useless. Even dangerous. Detach. We sometimes have ‘feelings’ which we can barely register consciously and even more rarely, verbalize. These ‘feelings’ are in the present. Now. Pay attention. By the time you ‘think’ about these feeling they are also in the past. You need to be working on that instantaneous flash right now rather than waiting to think about it. Or react to it. Too late. No matter how quick your reactions are, they’ll always be too late for trading. And I’m really not talking about scalping, looking to take a few ticks in a flash of time. Not at all. You need this instantaneousness even if you’re trading daily chart. Actually, especially when you’re trading daily charts! I can’t think of any way at present to explain this aspect of what I will be developing further later than to indicate it isn’t waiting for time to flow past that is where you want to be. You are not a passive subject ‘of’ time, unless you choose to be. Nor are you a detached objective observer ‘of’ time. You need to be ‘in’ time. If this makes no sense to you right now then you’re doing just fine.

Anyone else who lived through the tumult of the 60s will resonate with my inability to cohesively describe what it is precisely I’m trying to get at here, but ‘getting with it’ comes to mind. As does ‘letting go’. I don’t want to get too Learyesque here (yes I do really), but I know of no better way to access the core of what you need to do right now than to suggest you simply turn off, tune in and drop out of your normal mode of thinking. Even if you just start with just 5 minutes today. No thought. Not thinking. And not thinking about not thinking.

What next? Active concentration is key, but this is way too soon. There needs to be a way of getting started in understanding what it’s really all about and to do that, I need to back right up and pull it all apart - what you think you’re really doing right now and what you think it’s really all about and re-engineer it in a way that makes sense to you right here and right now before I open the trap door and provide you with the opportunity to allow yourself to fall into what only appears to be the void. I need to do, or rather you need to do if you’re interested, some exercises if you’ve a mind. Next post. I need time to work this out. And I shall enjoy discovering how. This will be fun.

If there are any experienced traders reading this beginners thread who intuitively know what I mean, who know exactly what I’m talking about and where I’m coming from, they’ll be little to keep you interested I suspect. Except perhaps an intellectual curiosity as to how the heck I am going to attempt to do what you yourselves know needs to be done. And even perhaps a certain amusement as I struggle with what is for me, uncharted waters. To show others that which can’t be directly taught, but which can only be experienced personally, and without direct contact, will require techniques which I am not sure I currently posses. I’m not even sure I know what they are. It all hinges on pointing without using anything to point with, or at, and without awareness of pointing, from either the person who under normal circumstances would have been doing the pointing and the person who is looking at what they are not pointing at and what they are not pointing with. I hope I assure you when I say this is not thru any sense of ego or hubris on my part, but a deep interest in the intellectual gymnastics I am going to have to go thru to get where I want to get to and as deep a desire to see if it can be done. I expect for my part, to pick up some exquisite learnings myself along the way. I’m extremely interested, from an objective viewpoint, in how this is all going to pan out, in time.

Last edited:
Zen

Fxmarkets – if I say “Zen good” or if I say “Zen bad” there are those folk who will take it to heart, whichever it is, when in reality neither is, and think that what they need to do is adopt the same stance as me, in order to get at what I’m trying to get them to get. It’s not just a case of being too Black-or-White. It’s the implication that it’s possible or more worryingly, necessary to make a bridge between entities which are physically separate, which is always illusory. It’s all the same. Connected.

I’m very careful mostly to avoid being prescriptive or specific. I am only ever as specific as I really need to be to get a point across. Generalities work far better because they allow others to make the trip themselves. Generalities also have the apparent downside of sounding like generalities and are therefore superficially far less useful. But only superficially. Their very superficiality allow the artful and crafty to make those secret but vital points that bypass conscious thinking in their obvious banality and slip in the back door. Very useful.

If I thought that everything I did and didn’t do – and have done and have not done, plan to do and plan not to do, have seen/not seen, heard/not heard, thought/not thought, felt/not felt were all you needed to do whatever you want to do, trading, whatever, I’d gladly tell you. But I’m not convinced it is. I’m more of the view that it’s immaterial. Completely immaterial to you or anyone else. If you could map my life – trees climbed, friends’ names, waking dreams and sleeping dreams – if I could map my entire life onto you – would you want that? I don’t think so. If I had a choice, I wouldn’t have it either. There’d be a number of tweaks I can assure you.

If you tell someone ‘focus on Zen’ that may do it for them. It may not. No harm done? But there is always a cost in doing anything - and in not doing something. Inescapable. I’m not willing to have anyone take a side road or diversion on the basis that what has worked for me ‘might’ work for them. I’m far more interested in looking a level above what worked for me and finding it out how it did what it did to me to make me do what I did (or didn’t do), how it has worked for others and how it might be fashioned and fitted to work effectively for others. Efficiency. We each of us have a responsibility to think thru what it is we are doing and how this might impact others. You need to think it thru. It isn't always first flush right. It's rarely first flush right.

Hadn’t planned any posts today, but I felt I needed to address that one quickly.

The 3-bar System Exercise

This next exercise is a lot easier. It’s for those who don’t use indicators. And for any of you indicator types who have just carried on reading, no cheating – go back and do the indicator exercise - that’s why I put the indicator exercise first. Integrity. It’s key.

What you can choose to do is to play the 3-bar trade setup game. Your parameters are the same. You’re going to work out what has to happen to price and/or volume over whatever timeframe you’ve chosen in order for the following things (1) to happen and (b) to not happen. For each of the possibilities of (1) and (2) happen/not happen for your 3-bar system, you need to classify them into what will cause (a) entry (b) exit (c) stay out (d) stay in. I haven’t repeated myself, I really do want you to do a ‘what will have to happen for me to stay in/stay out/go in/come out AND what will have to not happen for me to stay in/stay out/go in/come out. You do this for 20 instruments of your choice. You’re going to do 4 times as many instruments as your over-loaded indicator cousins in order to even out the load. You really didn’t think it would be that easy did you? This exercise will run for a long time regardless of your chosen timeframe. You need to be aware for all 5 instruments what will have to happen and will have to not happen for those other 4 trade entry/exit/stay criteria to be met for the next upcoming bar/candle/line/XO – whatever. You will need to know not what to expect, you have no expectations. You just need to know what will have to happen/not happen in each of the scenarios given. You will need to write this down. For each bar/candle/line/XO. You wont be able to remember it. As each time period rolls over – you do the entire process again.

As for the indicator exercise, you are not discussing this with anyone else either publicly or privately. You are looking for 2 things. You are looking for (i) discoveries and (ii) you are looking for what it is you think I am primarily trying to have you discover by doing this exercise.

You can PM me. I am not interested in your chosen 3-bar system, or your timeframe, or your results. I am interested in what you are discovering and what you think it is I am trying to primarily have you discover. I will guide you. I can’t give you the answer. Nobody can. You need to discover that for yourself. But I can guide you. I can’t promise more than a Yes/No type response, but if you’re really onto something I will offer a tiny hint by way of additional guidance.

For those of you waiting for me to tell you what the 3-bar system is, there isn’t one. You make it up. Doesn’t matter what you choose to do, I don’t want to know. It’s only important you know. Make it as wacky as you like. Profits, wins aren’t important at all for this exercise so you can relax and forget all that worrying P/L and bottom line fluff and just concentrate on the mechanics of the exercise and what it’s about.

Final Word

Neither of these exercises is any substitute for real time with a pro trader, but I have a hunch they may take you where you need to be going. Even though you don’t yet realize you’re not going to like it at all at some point very soon.

I have one other ‘exercise’ which anyone can play and is real easy. It’s more a game than an exercise. You are offered a chance to be on the “Apprentice 3” TV show with a Trading Wizard. The Donald Trump of trading. He will assist you attain your goals in trading. Well, your purely financial goals anyway. He’s nothing like me and has a set of magic indicators. (No, they’re not for sale – this is just a game). You only ever get to use one of these indicators. They each have varying degrees of difficulty in learning requirements. There is an approximate but reasonably direct relationship between the difficulty, and therefore the time needed to learn, how to use any of these indicators and their effectiveness in trading. The easiest indicator takes only 6 months to learn to use with a probability of winning 60% of all your trades. The most difficult indicator will take, we are not surprised to hear, 5 years to learn. But will give you a 100% probability of winning all your trades. You will start your trading career with the same amount of capital whenever you start. The number of trades you can make per period of time is also directly proportional to your trading indicator difficulty/profitability. The 6-month indicator gives trade signals about once every week. The 5-year indicator generates signals about once every 3 months. For the purposes of this ‘exercise’ you can take it that it’s as easy to fill a large order as a small one, there’s no slippage, you get filled immediately at your price and it doesn’t hurt when you fall over. There’s no commission or costs either – let’s keep it real simple.

You can only opt to learn one of the indicators. For ever. That’s it. You don’t get to learn the 6-month, then the 9-month. No. You choose. Up front. That’s it. Decision made. There’s no progression and there’s no re-training.

Which do you choose? What logic, what rationale did you use to justify your decision?

Looking for Significance

This post is only ever so lightly relevant to trading so if you’re in a hurry, or busy, you can skip it without worrying about missing anything at all.

I received an email this morning from a long-time friend and fellow trader. I have much respect for this guy. In his email he made the statement “Looking for significance tends to lend significance to that which is otherwise unremarkable.” He claims to have been the originator of this gem and although I will never doubt his honesty or integrity, he has the most deadly dry sense of humor and I may well be on the receiving end of it with this one. But in any event, it’s a good line. I’ll not be in the habit of bringing one-liners to your attention as it clutters up the place, but there’s something real efficient and effective about the good ones. And it also ties in with something else on these boards a while back. The “Man in the Coffee Beans” or some such. Can’t remember where I saw it. The poster suggested you look at a picture and see just how quick you could spot ‘the man’ amongst the coffee beans. The apparent emphasis being that the speed with which you could accomplish this ‘feat’ was a positive skill and how that in some way means a specific side of your brain was ‘more developed’ than the other, which presumably was also a ‘good thing’. And if you were ‘deficient’ in attaining some arbitrary time check how that ‘meant’ you should eat more protein or minerals or whatever. And the subsequent implication being you were lacking or deficient in some way. What a great way to start the day.

There followed a number of posts of which I looked at perhaps the first half dozen. The mini sample ran thru the expected spectrum from ‘I did it real quick’ to ‘I failed miserably and must hack out that under-performing part of my brain’. I am being overly dramatic, but you get the picture. What I find interesting about these types of diversion is that people fall for whatever is being laid out for them. And this wasn’t even a deliberate trap. But they don’t think it thru. I’m not criticizing the poster or the participants in this puzzle – it was with interested and playful intent I’m sure that he/she posted and they all participated. And it was just in fun and I’m being a humbug looking too deeply into it all. But there is a serious side to my post. Most I imagine, really felt, without further consideration or review, it was ‘better’ to see the man more quickly than more slowly, or not at all. Why would that be? Is quickness of perception a good thing? In some situations. Yes. For sure. Hunting tyrannosaurus. Avoiding tyrannosaurus. Recognizing tyrannosaurus hiding behind rock. And in some situations even more relevant to our current eco-time. But on a financial trading board, where topic content will presumably or inherently be expected to relate in some manner to trading the financial markets, should you really be looking for snap abilities of this nature?

The other thing I find quite amazing is the acceptance of what is being laid out without challenge or query. What is it that you don’t get when you ‘solve’ the problem quickly? There’s always a flip side, a down side to consider. How many of those who did manage to find the man within 3 yoctoseconds actually hung around a while longer to appreciate the rich dark-brown color and warm texture of the beans themselves? And to imagine the deep, dark smell of roasting coffee? Or to think about those good times when you’ve sat down with friends over an aromatic pot of the good brew and talk for hours about nothing much at all? Sometimes, you miss by being too quick than by being slower. There’s a time to be quick. And there’s a time to be slow. Real slow. Over-development of any part of your anatomy sounds like a bad deal. Out of whack. By definition, for me, ‘over’ means problem. ‘Under’ also means problem. Just like Goldilocks – I like mine ‘just right’. Be good to find something that showed the perfect balance you need to have – and how to get it would be even better. I’m still looking. Let me know when you find it.

The other thing is that when something like this goes out into general circulation, it underlines the quite inappropriate and erroneous in my view, basis of current day education in the western world. Probably not just only education either when you think about it. There are two camps. Binary. You’re either ‘good’ or you’re ‘not good’. Those who didn’t find the man quickly enough are ‘not good’ ‘deficient’ ‘lacking’ Those who did are AOK. Either way, it’s not good. Those who were ‘not good’ go around looking for confirmation. Guess what, they will find it. Always will. Those who did AOK are going to do the same and unless they’re really totally AOK (I’ve never met anyone who is, all the time) they’re going to find out the hard way – it was just a picture puzzle.

My hat off and congratulations to all who managed to complete the exercise in record time. It is a remarkable feat and well done. As long as you don’t allow yourself to be fooled into thinking this can be directly applied to trading the markets, or anything else for that matter or that this in some way makes you a better trader. My genuine concern is that you, or those who were impressed by your accomplishment, might feel that is the way to trade. Snap. Buy. Snap. Sell. Snap. Broke. I’ll get to intuition, and the part it has (and has not) to play in trading in a future post. My hat off also to those who took a little longer or didn’t ever find the man – and are truly relaxed about that. You’re unlikely to make as many snap decisions in your life. Might have killed you a few tens of thousands or even a few thousands of years ago, but you’re a little safer today. You’re an example of evolving homo sapiens. It’s more of a feat to not be swayed or cowed by unsubstantiated claims or the need to abide by what only appear to others to be ‘rules’ or to accept without question the ‘meaning’ that others ascribe to this or that or to feel the need to rise to any challenge - and to have done it your way, with no regret or anxiety or second-thoughts. And finally big hats off to those who never found the man because they got wrapped up in all the other good stuff they found in that picture, associations with coffee, color, smell, memories, taste – whatever, completely forgot about what it was they were doing or just decided it wasn’t what they wanted to be doing right then, and then simply moved on with their lives without a second thought. Completely unaware they should, in a totally just universe, have been bearing the almost intolerable burden of shame in not having spotted the man in the beans and worse still, of not even having wanted to. These ones are close. Real close. No prizes, but a glad hand for all to the people like me who don’t ever bother to even think about playing games. Or more correctly, recognize a game for what it is and found we’ve already decided not to play it before it even hits our conscious awareness sufficiently to have registered as a decision made consciously. Because it wasn’t. Perception. It’s deadly. Always too late. We’re deficient, we’re ‘not good’, we’re no fun, we’re not good sports and we’re definitely not one of the gang. And on top of all that, we’re all gonna get eaten by a tyrannosaurus real soon. Bad. On the other hand, our ability to instantaneously decide quite unconsciously, if something is ‘worth’ doing or not, might be something to hang on to by way of avoiding a total loss on the situation. I’ve given everyone no matter how they did or didn’t do in this, a hats off and a congratulations. And it’s genuine. Everyone wins in my universe. You get to choose your universe. Or construct one. Whether you believe that or not, you do.

Which brings me back full circle to my friend’s comment and what is really the whole point of this post. “Looking for significance tends to lend significance to that which is otherwise unremarkable.” It happens in the markets all the time, every day. Don’t you do it too. You need to develop the ability to instantaneously differentiate to the extent you won’t even realize you haven’t wasted any time thinking about things that don’t need thinking about. Looking for significance is a form of caring and that leads to perceptions and judgments. You can’t afford that.

A personal note to those engaged on the exercises: you are all to varying degrees busy or busier than you were this time yesterday. I did make clear that the exercises are in addition to everything else you normally do. Sure you can prioritize and shunt things around, but no putting anything on a back-burner. The whole point is to overload. Which is why I’m just going to carry on and continue to post and seem to perplex you. Things happen in parallel. Real Life. It just carries on carrying on – even when, especially when, you most want to put the brakes on. However, the fact that you have less spare time today than you did yesterday and you still got to this point in my post indicates you ignored my advice in the first paragraph. You went against what would have made ‘sense’ (not a particularly relevant post – don’t have much time anyway) and went with your instincts. Well done. It’s precisely that independence of spirit you need to continue to nurture. For those that took my initial advice and have come back later to read this post, also well done. You’re working things out to suit yourself. But if you’re comfortable at the moment, something’s wrong. We all get to choose the route. And when, where and if, we get on or off. But some things have to happen fast or slow. Not everything. And you need to challenge and experiment to find out which is which for you. But there are some things that are for some reason very specific. I don’t know why this is. They are not interchangeable. The speed with which traders get to the point where they feel like giving up seems variable. Some reach it quickly (weeks), others more slowly (decades). Those that come thru the other side, which is an incredibly small percentage of those that gave up and stay ‘given up’, have no choice in the matter. I don’t know why this happens and what happens during the nauseous-when-I-even-think-of-trading phase. But it is in my experience too common not to mention here, now. You do need to give up and not care before it falls into place – if, it’s ever going to fall into place. Almost like the need to sleep and dream in order to have your unconscious sort out your waking thoughts into something that makes sense. I had this thought when responding to someone by PM recently on this exact same topic which is why I seemed so primed for it. All you need is something to push you over what only appears from your current perspective, to be an edge. Keep using the same metaphor. Wonder why.

Last edited:
Don’t Delude Yourself

This thread has become something of a scratch-pad for random ideas, disparate allusions to what might be useful to traders, suggestions for further research along what might be considered ‘alternative’ routes and general soul bearing. Which is great if it’s getting you where you need to be going. But beware the attraction of brain-dumping stream-of-consciousness onto others unless it really is with genuine intent. Intent is everything. It may seem to some like I’m just brain-dumping my s-o-c onto you all, but I assure you, that’s just due to basic inability, ineptness and mind-numbingly irritating limitations on my part. I actually spend a lot of time to make it all this confusing. Remember, we each of us have a responsibility to think thru what it is we want to have happen. ‘Plan for what you want to happen’. I’ll expand on that phrase in another post – it covers a lot of ground and many angles. When you post something on these boards, especially on this thread given the nature of the discourse going on here, you need to be thinking about what result you want to have happen – for others. What’s going to happen in their head? Not just as a cathartic process for you – as useful as that can be. Think it thru. And not just on these boards – but in everything you do. Does this mean you have to think everything thru? Yes, it does. Mull things over where you have the chance. In trading, you don’t. Or rather, you wont need to if you’re operating from a position of calm, quiet confidence. In the Zone. Alpha state. All good descriptions. All the mulling has happened long before. That’s where I want you to get to. Some things you have the luxury of taking time over. Enjoy them by doing them real slowly. Other things you will not be given that opportunity. Sometimes you have the choice and can choose to get them over with quickly. Train yourself to develop skills to differentiate. It’s important. You need to learn to differentiate before you will learn you can learn skills to control what needs to be differentiated, unconsciously. Not the other way round. By all means contribute your thoughts to others – they are always welcome. And it gives me feedback too, so great, I know I’m either on track or off beam. But take the time and trouble to compose what you need to say to make happen in our heads what you want to have happen. It’s how the masters wrote their masterpieces. A few still do. Read James Joyce. You’ll get a flavor for what one can do with the written word to your brain and your thinking. Work backwards from the result you want to have and decide for yourself how you can bring that about. And don’t try and tie this up with any hidden analogy to masterful trading.

Anyone seen the spoof movie “Mystery Men”? Loved the characters, especially The Sphinx played by Wes Studi (you will know who I mean if you search him or the movie and see his picture). There are so many lines from this movie that are priceless: “We've got a blind date with Destiny - and it looks like she's ordered the lobster” and “I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines” (sounds like a president I know). The Sphinx has an ability to drop pithy aphorisms (why are they always pithy?) into the conversation and they are usually completely out of context. And hilarious. But the best part is where one of the other characters (Mr. Furious) ‘works out’ The Sphinx’s ‘formula’ for constructing these apparently meaningful sayings. Some gems from The Sphinx: “To learn my teachings, I must first teach you how to learn” and “He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions”. Meant to sound deep, but isn’t – don’t do it. It’s pure BS and is easily detected and detracts from your message. Don’t be like The Sphinx. He was scripted to sound stupid and contrived. Say what you mean, the best way you can. But do it your way. Plain. Natural. Don’t add veneer. It obfuscates. It happens a lot on bulletin boards and I’ve even seen it in some threads on this site. You should be aiming to get your point across as simply as possible without adding anything extraneous. Forget style. Forget impact. The impact is in what you have to say – not the way or manner you say it. And keep it grounded. Irony. Although I aim at doing precisely that it mostly comes out as a jumble. I guess it’s down to you to pick out what I’m really saying. I hope you can all ‘read between the lines’ and get what I’m attempting to say as my writing style is not that conducive to easily comprehend everything. Some think that’s a skill only useful in reading. Of course, these issues aren’t just about trading – they are vital in setting about enhancing and refining your character as an on-going process (not a decision) to be more in line with what a master of any discipline is really all about. You want to be a master as well. Of your own destiny. Forget the lobster. And why limit it to just trading?

In taking the process back aways in having everyone move toward where I started off from in this thread in order to start progressing from there again, it occurs to me the mechanical aspects of trading are where we need to get back to as a lowest common denominator in moving forward together. Things are going to have to speed up considerably as you can’t learn slowly. Wont work. The pros, if there are any other pros reading this, are going to be aghast at what I’m about to do as it breaks all the rules. I’m not going to be telling, just taking you real close to where the action is, but without pointing it out to you. I mustn’t. If I’d did you’d most likely miss it, ignore it, not believe it was that simple and then forget it. You know yourselves, the only way you ever really learn anything is when you discover it for yourself. I’m going to give you a system to play with. You don’t have to play with this of course, but if you do, I’d prefer you not to discuss it publicly. If you do want to have a go, this is in addition to everything else that’s going on in your life at the moment. If you’ve ever experienced the shock of playing 3D chess for the first time you understand me completely – you’ll need to stretch away and upward from that to come even close to beginning to understand where you’ll need to start, to have any chance of ending up where this journey will take you, if you allow it. The system is called – “Don’t Delude Yourself”. It’s a channel breakout system (pros are beginning to sweat). You are looking at three different instruments. Each has a developed a price action channel. You have identical price action within the channel in each one of the instruments. The channels are each exactly the same in dimension: Y units deep/wide and each are of constant size of X bars along their length. Timeframe is immaterial. In instrument-1 (I-1) the channel is flat; I-2 it is rising; I-3 it is falling. The price action is currently totally contained within the bars for each instrument.

What price action would constitute a breakout on each instrument? What price action constitutes an entry signal on each instrument? For any given entry signal, what is your target calculation/criteria and what is your stop calculation/criteria? What is your exit criteria? How did you calculate them? Why am I saying calculation/criteria for target and stop? Would you change your target and stop once in the trade and if so, how and why? If you find yourself needing to invent actual data - Don’t. Do not use actual values (such as ‘well, if we say the channel is $1 wide, the target is $1.50…’), no. If you find you need to use your metaphorical/mental hands to manipulate this one, use only general formulaic expressions such as channel depth (D), target 5D or 0.5D, stop is Q% of Z where Z is range width or last R or S (resistance or support) - whatever. Use general terms – not specifics. Don’t use specifics. This is important for you. What is it in this exercise that I’m specifically not mentioning? What is it that I am deliberately not drawing your eye towards? Do you find you need to go back and do this again when you find out what is was I was hiding from you? Or had you already unconsciously taken that into account?

Last edited:
Active and Passive Concentration

Concentration is what you are really looking for. It was just a little way back that I first mentioned Active Concentration as an important, actually vital, aspect of character development for anyone wishing to progress in the discipline of trading and raise their proficiency to a level of true mastery. Consistent success. I am convinced that anyone who wishes to make the effort and put in the work, do the hard yards – use whatever metaphor takes your particular fancy - can become masterful in any chosen endeavor. We’re specifically interested in trading, but the skill development process is precisely the same for all disciplines of which I have any experience and knowledge. There are no minimum entry requirements other than your total and absolute willingness to work hard at it, to stay with it and to develop the correct mindset and attitude. This mindset is quite independent of trading which is why much of my writing will tend not to attract those who wish to find a quick fix to their trading problems or to find the one and only indicator they’ll ever need for all instruments in all markets across all timeframes and in all market conditions. If any of you on that particular path do find what you’re looking for – please do let me know. Anyway, back to concentration. There have been a few posts since in which I have veered away from this more esoteric area of trading personality development in order to ground what I am saying in a more basic mechanical level of trading functionality. I’ve done this as an attempt at finding common ground from which those that are interested can move forward with me. I appreciate some will not like taking what only appears to them to be a backward step. That’s fine. They either do or they don’t and they either will or they won’t. I have no control over any of this. I’m just giving you what I’ve got in the best way I can in the hope it helps. I don’t know if I’m doing it correctly – the right way. I don’t even know if there is a right way. I am making this up as I go along. I have never attempted to help other traders in this way, in this medium before. Some will welcome my lengthy posts as a welcome diversion from a trading career that has perhaps turned out for them to be less than the meteoric rise to riches they initially envisioned. And those who have tried and not met their, I suspect overly optimistic goals, are due a restful break too. But only from trading. The hard work is just about to begin.

It’s still a little early I feel to get into Active Concentration, but I do want to give you a starter into this very deep and difficult to explain concept by briefly bringing up the term ‘Passive Concentration’ for your review. By the way none of these terms exist, as far as I know, anywhere except in my head. There’s no course or programme (more of this later) to teach these as the ‘standard’ lessons of trading. There are none. If you think of a better word or phrase than me that meets your idea of what I’m talking about and makes more sense for you personally – by all means, use it. I don’t believe there is a one size fits all in this or any other worthwhile endeavor. Use what works for you. Mantra. I also mentioned more recently the phrase “Plan for what you want to happen”. Awareness. Perception. These two are key. Intuition. Surprisingly. Only surprising in that it most likely will not be in any way or context you have ever imagined it might apply to trading. I could have covered intuition in the “Don’t Delude Yourself” post, but that would have been way too obvious – you would have been ready for me – seen me coming – and it would not therefore have worked. I wont be able to cover any of these topics in this post as there isn’t enough time (yes, I’ve just come back up here after writing the final part of this post and it’s already too long even by my standards). I’ll save these topics for future posts. I promise I will cover off all of these as we move into and thru Active Concentration.

Talking again of concentration, I have to mention an encounter I had with a professional musician. I know relatively few professional musicians. Those I do know, interest me greatly and all for the very same reason. While they inhabit the same planet as me, arduous activities with their instruments over long hours along with frustration, exhaustion and desperation which tend to weed out the hopeful from the amateur and finally from the professional – make their take on life quite different to mine. But only in relation to our respective primary fields of endeavor. This comes across in the way they comport themselves. If you’ve ever met a professional, you’ll have known it and recognized ‘it’ immediately. Even if you are not in any way involved or interested in their genre, or even aware of what that might be, you will have clearly and quite easily observed a certain presence. Something a little ‘different’ about them and their manner. That’s the interesting thing – totally different fields of operation yet there is a central and identical core of behavior and attitude and bearing, a recognition of which each has in the other which is as instant as it is ineffable. You know what I mean. We got talking about my attempts and frustrations at my current inability to do what I am doing on these boards in attempting to help those at the beginning of their trading career with the taking on board of what they needed to do to become professional in method, if not in name, in trading the financial markets. The fascination with systems themselves rather than the primary importance of development of the person, the Self in which the sought for excellence can reside. Flowery stuff. This chap, a violinist and conductor of apparent renown laughed at my intellectual impasse. Not in deprecation of my feeling of lack, but in pure and absolute recognition of my plight. He commented that it would be equivalent, he said, to amateur musicians discussing among themselves, with great passion and verve, the various merits of which type of string to use and where to buy it and how best to tune it without any basic realization they first needed to learn the nature of the instrument and how to play it and to acquire the knowledge of how to play it and to practice playing it. With amateur musicians though, there is an inherent understanding that to learn from those who were already professionals was the only way to progress to becoming professional themselves. He added that a musician only becomes truly notable in their execution of a piece and recognized for their ability once they have learned who they are and what it is in them that comes thru them and into their music. I don’t think he was trying to be deeply allegorical – just honest.

He did suggest by way of helpfulness that I suggest to you all at some juncture the use of baroque music with a steady 60 bpm at barely audible levels to assist with the rapid induction into the state of the master trader. I’ve never tried this, but you never can tell with these things. Maybe somebody needs to do an ‘Accelerated Learning CD for Master Traders’? Not necessarily my thing. Now jazz is. It has a pleasantly discordant interrupt mechanism on normal thought processes. It’s free and still legal (for the moment) I’m not suggesting you get into jazz or play it at just audible levels while you’re trading, or feign an interest in it, but in passing, it does tend to cause a conscious bypass within me of those areas of my being that would otherwise be strung out from time to time. And never be fooled into thinking any trader is totally unemotional the whole time. No matter how experienced they are and how good they are, there will be times when the flush of a superbly managed trade, well played, where the target is hit spot on and just as you close, the price immediately reverses direction. Perfection. Sometimes, when this happens, the pleasure of your success and clear evidence of your sheer brilliance will filter up to conscious levels and cause a smile of pure satisfaction to appear. Equally, the grim reaper of traders’ dark souls with manifest groan of momentous stupidity that bad timing along with risk mismanagement and complacent arrogance that come shortly after the question we sometimes ask ourselves “Why on earth did I do that?” will occasionally come sit beside you at your screens. It happens to the best. The master trader will “treat those two impostors just the same” and simply carry on as if neither happened. Never, ever beat up on yourself. Because then you’ll have to hide round the corner waiting to get even with yourself at some point. It never ends. Don’t do it. That’s how it all started in Sicily.

I’ve got a little exercise you can play with. You can play this one whenever you want. As often as you want. Until you don’t need to any longer. I haven’t ever done it myself. I’ve just devised it yesterday as a useful way for you to experience what a master trader ‘mostly’ experiences with all his/her trades. I’m going to suggest you don’t use real money – but I’m not your mama. It’s called the “Long/Short Exercise”. Pick an instrument. Any instrument at random. Absolutely one you have not recently traded and of which you are quite unaware of recent price action or news. Zero expectations, knowledge of or feelings towards this instrument. Before you choose it and look at a 5min chart of the instrument (no indicators on your chart for this one please, just price – no volume) – before you look – choose either Long or Short. That’s important. When you’ve chosen entry direction, look at the instrument on the 5min chart. Immediately take the trade in your randomly selected direction. No cheating. Do not be swayed by current price action. Stick to your choice. Integrity. Honesty. If you feel unhappy with your chosen direction given current price action, take it as a positive indication of your better than average skills at reading market action, but do not switch. Note the price you got filled at. 60 minutes later – exit the trade. There are no stops and no targets. You either scratched, made a profit or made a loss. None of these outcomes were as a direct result of your trading – you did it because I told you to do it. Right? So, how do you feel about that trade? Neutral? Good. That’s the way you need to feel about ALL of your trades. The ones you put on yourself too. You wont always get it, but that’s what you’re aiming for. Why am I giving you all this personal insight into what a pro trader feels like or does when we know all the action is in discussing systems? Because the last thing you need to be thinking about is systems. What you might want to consider doing, as I’ve said in other posts, is to start thinking, acting and behaving like a pro trader – first. Do this exercise as often as you need to learn to disassociate from all your trades.

Before I get back onto talking about passive concentration, I pondered long and hard the comments of another poster on this thread regarding concentration. I thought about why it was I wasn’t taking a different approach in my posts to accommodate those whose concentration or attention spans were limited. And I am borrowing wholesale from the PM I wrote the poster on this. The thing is, the very essence of what I am trying to work toward is the development of the skill of focused concentration. Those who 'lack concentration' are the ones I'm talking to. My posts end up looking like they have been deliberately crafted to befuddle and confuse. They seem off-puttingly long posts by standards of these boards. It's just the way they come out - eventually. I think I can best get those who are not trading with active concentration to work comfortably toward attaining the mindset and the mental attitude which will help them develop more fully their trading skills within that mode. If he, or you, or anyone else is finding it difficult to concentrate on my posts, that's probably exactly what I was aiming for – I’m not sure. It’s possibly a good thing. I thank rudeboy for that feedback. But if you can’t see the connection between that young monk, sitting at the chessboard, hour after hour, waiting for the old master to make the only possible move open to him (from the young monk’s perspective) and the ability to commit in an flash to action or inaction, without conscious thought, then you’re probably on the right track. Benevolent, benign responsibility. As a mode of living, and trading and even as a mode of discourse. Inseparable. I’m sure there is a fancy word for this oneness of being as it applies to everything one does, but as my skills in this area (of trying to describe the indescribable) are virtually and obviously lacking, I’ll leave that to others.

For those who have already mastered the art of active concentration, a post like these of mine pass in a flash and is fully comprehended – almost as if they knew what I was going to say in the sentence after the one being read now. I know it, because I can see it in others. They are most likely also aware of the various devices I am using to push the point home, repeatedly in every and each post. Perhaps they could let me know because I am at a complete loss as to what I’m doing when I’m writing. The irony is, those who already have those skills will unlikely be reading this thread. And those that would possibly benefit from them most are unlikely to have the mental stamina to begin with to even start the process. It's difficult. And I’ve already in all honesty with you explained I haven’t done this before and don’t know any other way to do it than simply following my instincts.

Another poster came up with some excellent points too. Also borrowing from my PM to him, I’m not convinced his short précis of a post was any better/worse compared with my extremely awkward verbosity as it didn’t really help anyone with what it is I’m trying to get across get any further forward to where he/she needs/wants to be (consistently successful), or find out trading isn't for them, any quicker or any more easily or with less financial loss in my view. But points well put and clearly with positive intent. At least you didn’t have to wade thru oceans of words to get on to the next post. But I do want to develop pitscum’s thoughts a little further, a little more deeply.

With the other professions/jobs he exampled, there's a clear career development path, training, education. Signposts all the way. Opportunity to assess ability/suitability all the way. Not so with trading as an independent. You have no graduated career development path. There are no officially regulated training programmes for you to choose from. For instance, you might choose to learn to fly (pilot). You’d start off with flying lessons provided by a qualified flight training instructor and you’d put in the hours. Your ability would be assessed by your mentor and you’d get immediate and fairly obvious feedback on your abilities. You’d also experience the reality of flying and decide for yourself if you really wanted to carry on doing it. You’d take written tests and hands-on tests leading to your first solo. Further training and guidance is undertaken until you achieve a standard level of competence which is deemed adequate to ensure your safety, the safety of others and you are granted the privilege to fly a plane – in restricted conditions. VFR. You can then choose to progress with further training in simulated environments or by using special in-flight devices to attain the next significant level of aptitude – IFR. You can now fly in more difficult conditions where you can’t necessarily see what’s right in front of you. You need to rely more on more on your instruments and your instrument reading skills. Of course, from there you can choose any number of further flying career development paths; courier, navy; army, commercial and progress to multi-engine, rotary, jet and so forth. But each step of the journey you are subjected to further intensive training, guidance, mentoring, review, examination and in addition to all of this, you will be re-tested, depending on age, experience and flying milieu, on a regular basis. You are required to continue to develop your skills. It doesn’t stop when you attain your required level of mastery. You are still required to put in the hours to keep current, to keep your ‘touch’ to keep your eye in and to maintain standards. Just like a professional musician or a master trader.

Does any of this happen within the trading development of an independent trader in the financial markets? That is where the poster, helpful as his post was and with the obvious good intent of cutting to the chase to save everyone’s time from the horror of reading any more of my expansive verbiage, was a little too quick to post. He did not think thru what it was he was attempting to say. Having an intuition to be a grocer, dentist, geologist, pilot, and you simply go do it – there is no parallel with trading unfortunately. Just because you like to do those other things, you can’t ‘just’ do it (well, OK maybe the grocer you could. But even then you still need basic business training if you wanted to succeed). In all of them you are required to embark on training, education, practice, examination, review and certification. But any fool can decide they want to ‘buy and sell’ on the markets and go right ahead and do that. No controls. No balances. No checks. I wonder if that’s because all the other professions have impact (quite literally in the pilot’s case) or require the buy-in of customers/clients/others? Trading does not. You’re on your own. Useful thoughts and my thanks to the poster who triggered them.

Anyway, concentration. You’re walking in the woods. I tend to get lost in the woods often. Deliberately. When you’re off the well walked tracks and into the uncharted areas of any wood, things take on a different appearance. What you’re looking for are different types of tracks. Animal tracks. Not scat or paw-prints. Just the gentle indentations on the forest floor which indicate small animals have gone this way – a number of times before. You don’t necessarily know in which direction of course. But sometimes. Even those signs are clear. Anyway, they go this way and that often enough times to leave a visible track. But it’s only really visible when you’re not specifically looking for it - or at it. It appears, to me at any rate, as I’m looking over the entire landscape – which will be variable in depth and breadth as time passes and limited by my environment depending on how deep I am in the woods – as a ‘difference’ from everything else. It rather makes itself known to me by being ever so slightly different to everywhere else. It might only be a few blades of grass, I don’t know, I’m not a born tracker, but a few blades of grass here, absence of other things, such as twigs there – all indicate as the picture builds – a path through the woods.

This is passive concentration. Hanging on to what it is you want to find or find out, as time unfolds even though your mind will be jerked this way and that by internal thought processes and external events – which trigger internal thought processes. Not necessarily keeping it in the forefront of your mind – in fact, absolutely not keeping it in the forefront of your mind – it needs to be out back. Awareness occurs – perception piles in to let you know what it thinks you want to think of that pure awareness that impinged on your senses before you intellectualized it. It’s a Long Thought that gets interrupted countless times and only seems to get taken off the track numerous times – then to come back to that which is your central point of interest. You need to bring it gently back. You obviously also need to remember or remind yourself you had something to think about in the first place. Life will take you into the fast lane without your permission and you need to deal with everything that comes your way. It’s not easy to keep any thought central to your being, all the time, until it resolves. But to ‘have’ that central point of interest to be brought back to - that is key. It’s key to passive concentration and will prove to be key to active concentration. If you have no single point of thought, goal or target or point of enquiry, you are just a subject of time and allow if to move you along and consider whatever it hands you as a series of unrelated events ‘of time’. A difficult post. Don’t worry.

Overload

I promised one member in a PM a few days ago I’d be posting on the topic of differentiation yesterday. So why is this post today then titled “Overload’? Because in order to make good my commitment to this person, I had to do a great deal more than I expected to have to do in the same period of time to maintain my schedule and deliver – to them and to myself. I don’t say this in any way to blow my own horn, quite the opposite. What happened to cause me to overload and my estimates to get busted? Life. Things occur and need to be fixed, to be sorted, to be addressed. Doesn’t matter how much contingency you build in. As an aside, always planning in contingency is an unnecessary overhead, it leaks energy, time and profits – avoid. When you don’t use a contingency that’s been formally planned in and formally costed in, it rarely goes back into the pot. It just dissipates. Waste. Far better to plan to tight timescales and estimates and expect occasionally be forced to push the boat out and hire in the gang. More gets done that way. Just a personal view based on experience using both methods. But Life keeps happening. It’s always going to be that way. For me. For you. Strength of Character. The more you get to handle the better you get at handling. I’m not banging on about just stepping up to the plate or any other macho type statements with which us traders are ‘supposed’ to resonate. I’m talking about quietly and efficiently getting on with what needs to be got on with – and doing it with a good heart. If my expressions seem a little old fashioned that’s because nothing better has come along since. Having finally completed the writing and about ready to go on-line with this post yesterday, it occurred to me to not do so – and to turn it into an exercise by its non-appearance.

Anyhow, differentiate. I’m also going to cover a number of other issues of key significance in a way that will I hope be subtle enough so that after you’ve read this post you wont necessarily feel the need to consciously remember what I’ve discussed with you and you’ll move on, quite comfortable with the fact that you have hopefully taken enough of it on board to have made your own effort worthwhile. Completely and utterly off at a tangent, I wonder if I can ask you all a favor? Should that have been a question? After all , I was just wondering and not asking. What is it that drives us to ask the Who, What, Why, How and When of most situations yet when we come to trading most don’t. If you can figure this out, do let me know.

Differentiate. What does this mean? I could go down the path of describing the various meanings of the word in the physical sciences. Potential Difference in electrical energy, kinetic energy, gravitation, pressure, temperature, time, gradient. But you’re all already too well aware of these aspects of the meaning of differentiate and difference to need to think it thru, now. How about the math slant within the area of calculus. Differentiation. Ever tried differentiating your indicators? Guess where you end up. Forget Liebniz. Most of us do. What about the Greeks? Delta, Gamma, Theta, Vega, Rho. Now that is Differentiation almost as a pure art form in itself. Low volatility/High volatility. As a trader you’ll encounter many Greeks. Some are more useful than others. Delta and Gamma will do you just fine - although they do tend to change over time. Why do options writers have all the fun? Because they’re at a premium. They were just a couple of low volatility jokes. Differentiate. You need to learn to differentiate before you will learn you can learn skills to control what needs to be differentiated, unconsciously. That needs restating – often. Most set about trying to learn how to differentiate before they decide how to determine what needs to be differentiated. Catch-22? No. You’re using your conscious mind – that’s the problem. It’s the decision that makes it wrong.

In order to have you experience what it is I mean by differentiate, just take a moment to consider the difference between awareness and perception. You’re sitting on your porch in the cool morning air – actually, it can be bracing morning air this time of year – and you feel a zephyr of a breeze gently brush the hairs on your arm. What’s awareness and what’s perception? Don’t cheat. STOP. I asked you a genuine question. Think about this and come up with something you’re not ashamed of in terms of having a reasonable stab at an answer before just passively reading on hoping I’m going to tell you. Because I might be wrong. And how stupid will you be to just take my word. Think. What’s awareness and what’s perception?

What is the point BETWEEN awareness and perception? What happens there? And who is the who that is doing the ‘thing’ that happens there? At the risk of sounding like a random question generator, last one for a while now, what is the purpose of the activity that converts awareness into perception?

Raw information is presented to you from innumerable sources every second of your waking, and sleeping, life. You don’t process it all consciously. You couldn’t. How do you choose what to take notice to and what not to? And who is the ‘who’ that takes notice? OK. Answers. The you that notices things is the conscious you. A useful, vital even, component of your personality. It nods knowingly when expected and laughs in all the right places at jokes. It also dodges out of the way of speeding vehicles and moves appendages away from things that have got way too hot for it. It also thinks it thinks. How does your conscious mind decide what it needs to process? Ever wondered? If the conscious mind does THE thinking, what decides what the conscious mind gets to think about? I’m on commission for the number of question marks I can put in this post. Seriously though, what is the ‘thing’ that decides what’s going to enter into your conscious domain and what is not? And what happens to the stuff that doesn’t make it into consciousness? Attention. That was a response not a command. Your attention decides what gets passed up to your conscious mind for conscious processing. So where does attention live? Can’t be in the conscious mind, can it.

Clarity and depth of thought from those doing the exercises. Like a snowball, starting off slow and small, rolling down the slope, gathering speed, momentum and mass. There’s a relationship. More and more. Faster and faster. They’re enjoying the ride, but that’s only because they don’t know where they’re going yet. While I’m up here in the high peaks, I’ll keep the snow metaphor going and suggest what you may ultimately be looking for (and that’s why you and me are here, now) is the mental avalanche, the letting go, the breaking away, the splitting which is, or causes, the mindset you need, to do what you want to do, at a level of pure excellence. That sudden breaking away. The splitting off. I have no other way to describe it. If that were just my experience in striving to develop excellence in trading I should just keep quiet about it. But it seems the experience is a common one based upon those few I have talked to who have also reached the high plateau of their art. This isn’t just traders. I mentioned previously the close kinship master craftsmen in the arts have with master traders. And with master physicians and master scientists. You can read up on any of the greats in any field of endeavor and find they all point to the same experience of breaking away – a splitting off – in the development of themselves in their chosen career or path or discipline. Prior to this breaking away event is the period of the most absolutely desolate discomfort, unhappiness, depression, weariness, nausea and mental strife bordering on madness. If you knew what was coming after (and now you do to some small extent) you’d be a little less unhappy – or perhaps not. Perhaps it is that very cauldron of the emotions that is vital in the process. This is what I feel you may not wish to experience. And who would blame you? Who in their right mind would deliberately seek such a state? Many (most?) will prefer to continue the way they are and trade the way they do. And good for them. Decision made. But for some, a very few, and this is not elitist in the slightest, just honest fact, a very few will be aware, but thru no common thought process, that what they are hoping to experience is a growth of awareness about their chosen area of specialty. For us – it’s trading. And they are willing to exert themselves to achieve it. Come what may. I want them on my team.

Many reports of those seeking enlightenment thru Rinzai Zen which makes use of Koans (paradoxes which must be ‘solved’) for the single purpose of enlightenment, allude to the days, weeks, months or even years preceding that moment of enlightenment (of which incidentally, reports are also remarkably similar across the board) as almost identical to that which I am discussing here. Those involved in testing the physical boundaries of the body, once it is realized the block, the brick wall to greater physical achievement is only a mental one, rather than physiological (body) or physical (universe out there) one - also confirm of the same experience. It appears almost, and only almost, a universal given that this process which leads first just to an appreciation of what it is that can be achieved, and then an irrevocable, unstoppable avalanche which propels you with breathtaking speed (but in only an instant of time) to a quite different level, is a required apprenticeship of sorts. Once achieved, you simply know you are operating from the only place that makes sense in your new environment. That single central point within you from which all things spring. A universal experience. I have no idea if this is a purely mental experience, or physiological or both – or neither – or something else completely different. I say only almost all experience this same process and event as I know of one person, just one person mind, who has never experienced any of ‘The Turmoils’ and yet is inexplicably fully connected and totally centered the whole time and operates in the way for which I have failed to ever find adequate description. But we can recognize it. And she is not a trader. For those who persevere and make it, the journey will have been worthwhile. But the level of discomfort and disruption leading up to the event itself is significant. Why am I cranking on about this issue so much? Because I want to put those off who feel they are unlikely to weather the storm of physical and mental discomfort that will be involved. There’s no shame or dishonor in that. It shows an appreciation of limitations and an unwillingness to commit to a line of development for which the probability of a successful outcome it low. Make that decision now and don’t waste your time. I’d want someone like that on my team too. But also don’t plan on a long term career as a consistently successful trader either. I’m not saying you can’t bang on for years at whatever level you’re currently at, many do – most do. And some manage to pay the bills. I’m only addressing those who think it’s worth a shot at excellence. Before I pass from this specific issue, there is one more person I want to mention. He went down this same route of struggling with an impossible schism of a quite different type to that which we are primarily interested in here, today. Nothing to do with trading and everything to do with Quality. I’m big on quality. In any event, he resolved his issue and ended up dissolving his Self in the process. But his description of the same breaking away experience I am finding so hard to describe was as valid as it was, in his case, sad. Unfortunately for him, the process cost him dear. When you have a few low-sunlight weekend afternoons to while away, take the chance to read “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” by Robert Pirsig. I first read it in 1976 which I believe is when it was first published, and have read it many, many times since.

Let’s relax now, just for a moment and consider a different view based on something a poster on another thread asked us all. It was a question largely addressing the whole point of what we do. What was the point of trading. It’s also useful to me in helping to remove you for just a few minutes from the tedium of my vapid musings and to focus on something more akin to what traders really want to talk about. Buying and Selling. Yeah! We’re going to be buying and selling - Hogs and Chickens. In the old days, it was a lot simpler. You had a hog you didn’t need and chickens you did. You agreed an exchange rate and transacted the deal. I gave you a hog – you gave me 5 chickens. The amount of chickens per hog was pretty much fixed. It did change, depending on the availability of hogs, and chickens and how much folks wanted either, but you generally knew how much your hog was worth to you. It got a little more difficult when some folk wanted to buy fighter jets and aircraft carriers. The calculation of how many hogs and/or chickens got unwieldy and quite frankly, the whole hog & chicken barter scenario became a problem. So we invented money. Now we had a thing, let’s call it a Dollar for argument’s sake, and we pegged the value of products and commodities to this Dollar. (I appreciate the US did not ‘invent’ currency, but I’m going to use the Dollar anyhow. Don’t take it personally). A hog was worth $5 and a chicken $1. The transaction rates were about the same for the underlying products. So if you wanted to buy an aircraft carrier for your farm, you knew ahead of time just how many chickens you’d need to be raising. By and large that’s how it still works. Produce and commodities have a very general ‘value’ which makes it easier to buy and sell. I highlight ‘value’ because there is no inherent value in anything – it is worth precisely what someone wants to pay for it and what someone wants to sell it for – or it doesn’t get sold. It is not what the seller values the goods at that makes the price. It’s not what the buyer values the goods at that makes the price. Remember that. There’s not much else we need to know before we go to market with our hogs and for our chickens, except that there are other forces than just supply and demand which determine what we pay for product and commodity. Governments, powerful industrial and commercial interests, black market forces and organized crime (in no particular order because I’m not sure each is any different from the other – or indeed, even other than one) set artificial limits to some products, keeping some artificially high and some artificially low – for their own purposes. The concept of ‘value’ to the consumer is completely out of the window in these cases and you just live with it. Or else you’re out the window too.

What would you do if you wanted to sell your hogs and buy come chickens? You might want to consider if there was any time of the year, any month or even time of day that was better than any other to sell your hogs. Maybe even a better place? You’d maybe do a little research. Ask other farmers (probably not other hog farmers, they aren’t going to let you get their best prices) and maybe read a little. You might even get some charts of live hog prices over the years and see if you can find a pattern, or two. You might even begin to think outside the sty and wonder what might lead folk to want to pay more, or less, for hogs in general. If you were a smart farmer (and there really isn’t any other kind – just degrees of smartness), you’d be putting in the effort to find the best time and place to sell your hogs. You’d do pretty much the same for those chickens you want to buy. Looking to pay the lowest price. Same thing applies. Research. Of course, as your experience increased and as the years rolled by, you’d get pretty slick at knowing when and where – you’d even be helping the up and coming farmers as best you could. But would that be enough? I mean, you wouldn’t want to be getting involved with the cereals and grains as well would you? Or would you? It’s worth bearing in mind that the guy on the other side of your deal is also doing his homework in order to buy your hogs cheaper than you want to sell them to him for and another looking to get a much better price for his chickens than you had hoped to pay him for them. It’s wise to assume you are up against a transactor of equal or better skill than yourself. Your edge in this situation it experience, research and effort. Lot’s of effort. That way, over time, you end up being one of the perhaps top 1% of farmers in terms of knowing your way around the market. Which means you have only a 1% chance of coming up against another guy of equal or better skill. You have a 99% probability of getting a better deal because you’re smarter than 99% of the other people in the market.

The reason you thought you weren’t interested in grain prices was because you’re not growing or selling grain. The crop grower ‘is’ however, very interested in the weather. Rain or wind don’t hurt hogs or chickens. Unless it’s a lot of wind. Or a lot of rain. Or both at the same time. But a crop farmer will be looking real keenly at his met data. However, your chickens will need feed. When do you stock up your feed inventories – now, when you don’t need it and it’s expensive. Or do you wait until it’s at a seasonal low? Maybe you could just accumulate the stuff at a low level. Just a bushel or two now and again. Nothing big. Nothing ostentatious or obvious. You wouldn’t want to attract the attention of your neighboring farmers now, would you. It’s a balancing act between carrying all that low-price inventory and potentially paying a higher price for JIT feed. Maybe you need to have a crop farmers hat on too. Wouldn’t hurt too much. Just a little more effort produces a lot more information. Dig. If you’re thinking that everything is your responsibility – right down to the potential fluctuation in feed prices, you’re going to get into a better position than the farmer down the way who is less aware. They certainly weren’t paying attention.

Why do I feel you might have been interested in all of the above? Because it might help some get back in touch with the basics of what they are playing with. All those instruments, those lines and bars you trade are related in some manner or form with real life exchanges of goods, products, services, commodities and exchanges of risk inherent within those exchanges for forward dates - and abstract upon abstract, the exchange of risk itself and exchange of interest rates and exchange of pure volatility and the exchange of one type of currency for another. This last one probably rates your interest. While I don’t expect you all to suddenly start pouncing on fundamentals, I reckon it does no harm to consider what’s happening in the real world. Not news, that isn’t real. I mean the real, real world where things are grown and made, bought and sold and people live. News is what you might want to consider using to work out what the ’other’ folks will likely plan on doing. The majority. The contributors. Or as some like to call them, the donors. Unkind.

Let me get back to ‘Value’. Value is a derivative of perception. I wish I could find a way to physically underline that last statement. It’s so important. Harks back to what I said about neither the buyer, not the seller setting the price. There is never one side of the deal equation which always, by definition, has control. It’s a dynamic interchange and interplay of relative needs until the pressure is equivalent for both parties. Sometimes the pressure is never equalized and the deal is not struck. Between these two parties. Remember the control of the deal rests with the party with the least need to transact the deal. They control the price until their need to transact equals the other parties need to transact. This control is normally achieved by changing the bid (if they are the buyer) or the offer (if they are the seller). And the changes to bid or offer are motivated by the seller and/or buyer having their perceptions modified – which is real easy most of the time. Level-2 manipulation is a game in its own right. Can be fun too. But it’s not just as the micro-management level of the deal that this manipulation occurs. There are many influences on what cause folk to form and modify their perceptions of the relative value of something - anything. Incredibly, most of the time, buyers and sellers are influenced by the majority of what they perceive as other buyers’ (if they are buyers) or perceive as other sellers’ (if they are sellers) action or inactions. Lack of attention will lead to a false perception and buying or selling at the ‘wrong’ price. (Actually, you can’t have a false perception – that’s a tautology). So how do you get that fixed? If the least need controls the deal – how do you trump complete lack of need – not caring? You need to fix your attention. Not this post. You know, as I write these posts, I get a dozen new things that come to mind that I know I need to write about next. And by the time I’ve got to the end of my post it’s always already way too long to do anymore. Can’t see how I’m ever going to get finished unless I get super-smart and take a shortcut thru the back roads.

Differentiate. What is that and what the heck has it to do with attention? A good place to start is to be unselfconscious. You can’t differentiate if you’re in your own picture the whole time, with your ego forming you a nice, handy, pre-digested perception. However a conscious act of attempting to be unselfconscious completely defeats the object of the exercise. How do you do it? How do you get yourself out of your own picture (and out of your ego) and stop yourself snapping to perception so quickly, or even at all? You couldn’t care less. You’ll need to meditate yourself – on that One. There are some lines from Kubla Khan

“And from this chasm, with ceaseless turmoil seething,
As if this earth in fast thick pants were breathing,
A mighty fountain momently was forced :
Amid whose swift half-intermitted burst
Huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail,
Or chaffy grain beneath the thresher's flail”

Now I’m not going to suggest you need to puff the same pipe as Coleridge did to get to the place he was at then, and I have no idea if he was letting us know of his own internal breaking away, but he gave us, in his own special way, a descriptions that’s pretty darned close. The act of not caring leads to unselfconsciousness. It leads the attention to considering not the air, the wind, the hairs on your arm or the time of day or the porch. It leads away from all of those things so that your attention can be placed on pure Awareness. I’ll need to talk about Attention and Awareness more fully in a future post, but if you want to get down and dirty and headed off right now on the road to unselfconsciousness, you have to first consider focus, concentration, and absolute and total commitment to, and belief in, your ability and the opportunity at any point in time to control what it is you are going to allow to develop into a perception. You obviously need to be training yourself to do this ahead of the ‘thing’ perceived – otherwise, it’s too late - you’ve lost. Assume the internal and external characteristics of a master (trader), pretend you are that master (trader) with an attitude of mind, maintaining the correct manner of physical and mental comportment – internally and externally and simply not care about any outcome. Unassuming. Modest. Almost serene. Aware. Objective. If you really desire to learn to be able to instantaneously unconsciously differentiate, start small. Just one thing at a time. Train yourself to not perceive quite so quickly what is going on around you. Just let it be. I’d suggest you practice this somewhere quiet where folk wont disturb you and you aren’t going to be needing to do anything – even as much as appearing to be normal, as you wont be able to carry that one off while you’re practicing this. And to not give yourself too much input to ignore. Quiet mountains, woods, forests, deserts and wildernesses are great for this. But you’ve probably already had more than enough of all this totally irrelevant to trading tom foolery and want some real trading type stuff. So, I’m going to suggest forget the ‘somewhere quiet’ scenario (as useful as that would be) and substitute your trading desk. Sit comfortably. Pull up your favorite instrument with your favorite chart(s) and favorite indicator(s) (if you use them). Just sit. Look but don’t plan on seeing anything. You’re certainly not going to be doing anything. And don’t judge. Anything. Even the thoughts that will come into your mind. Let them pass without trying to follow their train. No obvious exercises this post so you can just relax now. You might find it helps to deliberately diffuse your focus. You’re going to watch your screen without seeing anything and without trying to perceive setups or even movement. Allow your attention to be drawn where it will. But do not follow any thoughts or use any effort to prevent them lingering either. You’ve probably inadvertently experienced something similar to this a few times in the past when the market has willfully not done what you assured yourself it must - and you’ve felt a sense of deflation. Close. But this is without any emotion. Or thinking. It’s a weird sensation unless that’s how you normally trade – in which case you wont for much longer because your screen will die as the power company disconnects you for not paying the bills because you never place a trade and don’t make money – you’ll not be able to do it for too long to start with. Persevere. Do you know what you’re going to have to do to tell the difference yet? I said I wont handle attention this post, but if you have the mind to push and understand what it is I’ve been saying, you wont need to read my post where I do. And for those worried about becoming comatose zombies thru ending up never perceiving anything anymore, complete with drool and vacant expression – my posts achieve a similar effect – you need to understand that you do need to learn to differentiate those things and events for which you do need to form a perception for you to function in a conscious way - and those events of pure awareness which are much better left unintellectualized, allowing the real you to use your full range of unconsciously inculcated capabilities and facilities . Of which, you will probably currently have little to no cognizance. If you’ve read carefully, you’ll now appreciate this decision process, this differentiation which is required can only operate quite unconsciously.

Trading Wont Make Your Life OK

I’ve explained previously how the journey to becoming a master trader will likely be long, hard and difficult. So you’ll need to get your life in order ‘before’ you even think about attempting it. Same as before you undertake any lengthy journey – you get your affairs in order and you prepare for the trip. Trading wont make your life OK. Doesn’t work that way round. Even masterful trading wont make your life OK in and of itself. But I do know for a fact that if you have mastered trading, or anything else for that matter – you will have already taken control of your life - and mastered that. No other way. They kind of go together. It’s akin to the advice (and I’m possibly paraphrasing here because I can’t remember with total clarity and can’t find the original quote anywhere) - “If you wish to paint the perfect picture, first, you must make yourself perfect. Then paint”. I know of no master traders or any other types of true master in any field who have anything other than an ordered and controlled existence outside their main field of excellence. Their life is a function of their art – and their art of their life. You need to live right first. There’s a lot of scared money out there being traded by folk who should really know better. Don’t you be one of them. I titled this thread “Unfashionable Advice” because that’s exactly what I’m giving you all most of the time. It ain’t sweet, it ain’t easy and it definitely ain’t glamorous. You still get to do the chores. Still need to get your finances balanced. The house and car and yard still require maintenance to be done. Everything you have and are and own and do is a reflection of the person you are. Inside and outside. If you’re house needs a lick of paint – get to it. If the car could use a clean up, inside and out – get to it. Keep it clean. Keep it sharp. Goes for everything. If you’re troubled by finances you’ll need to get on an even keel. You really can’t have anything else on your mind when you get deeply into this stuff - or you simply wont. You need to develop personal mastery before you go out there and master anything else. There needs to exist about you a sense of Quality that others can feel - in who you are and what you do and they way you do it. And this isn’t style or veneer – that’ll soon wane or peel away – it has to be the real thing. And above all, if you need an income – get a job or just do something, anything to bring in the minimum to cover you while you’re learning your skills. Trading isn’t going to do that for you just yet. If you’re a rank beginner or a hot shot on that final losing streak, you shouldn’t be using money right now anyhow. Time enough for you to fill your saddle bags further down the way. There’ll still be plenty left for you – whenever you get there. I mention money and income and finances a great deal because seems to me most new to trading traders are getting into trading to ‘sort their finances out’ or ‘get a good income’. This is unlikely to happen. The final and most important item on the list of things to keep in order – your body-mind. They’re a single entity far as I can tell. Put good stuff into yourself – that’s good food, water and education. Clean environment, good friends and exercise. Effort only requires discipline until you reach the next level. That then becomes your baseline. There’s no going back. And you’ll never want to. Keep your thoughts positive at all times. And keep everything (body and mind) tuned up to high-performance level at all times. You never know when you’re going to need that extra torque. I’m not suggesting you turn into a vegan who works out in the gym 10 hours a day and spends the rest of the time in quiet contemplation. Just get sensible with what’s going on in your body and your mind. The Quality thing start right inside you and works it way out into what you do and how you do it. It manifests itself in your entire life spectrum – and beyond. Attitude. Comportment.

Anyone still reading this post? Not very heartening so far, was it? There may be a few who haven’t given up and have decided to do exactly what I’m suggesting. A few of these few will go even further and actually do it. But there may be one or two who have carried on reading this with no intention of bothering with all that old baloney because it isn’t to do with real trading. There are people who know they have a lot of real life stuff to fix, but as that has no bearing on real trading they can ignore it. Trust me, some folk just want to stay broke. For those I may have depressed ever so slightly I have a question. Have you ever really been at the end of your rope? I mean really depressed. You come up a notch from the self-pity stage and the just looking at your boots stage and you’re at the point where you decide it’s you against the rest of the world - and a hard edge develops - you’ve had enough. You don’t want to chit-chat. You don’t want to waste time. Yet you’re not yet quite sure what you need to be doing. A cross-roads. Pent up and coiled up with all the tensions of a pent up coiled up thing with tension in it. It comes across. You walk into a bar, gas station or a store in this mood. You’re not mad at anyone. Just ready and waiting and deep inside yourself. Alone but not lonely. Like I say, a right hard edge does develop. And just by the way you walk, stand, talk, don’t talk, look – people ‘notice’ you. You’re not deliberately projecting anything, but your presence is so out of the ordinary, folks ‘notice’. It’s a very different comportment. Your intent is way inward not outward, but that doesn’t stop it. What is the energy that’s hitting those folk? I’ve already mentioned it. Presence. In this case it’s a pretty negative energy that’s being projected and you have no control over that. But the same mechanism that produced that energy can be tailored to a more useful purpose in relation to operations of influence and interaction in an area in which we may, as traders, be more interested. More later (or maybe another post depending on stamina – mine, not yours). It’s important only in that this force of presence works over a distance – and surprisingly, over time too. And this energy is ‘detected’ not just by other people. There is a very fine web of energies which tie ‘us’ and ‘it all’ together. Actually is doesn’t do that at all – we ‘are’ the web of energies as is everything else. All connected. Whether you believe me or not it’s true and by the time I’m done, if you’re still with me, I wont need to prove it to you anymore. These energies are arbitrarily split into this type of energy and that type of energy, just to make it useful for our everyday physical needs. Different scientific disciplines will cut the cake whichever way suits whatever it is it’s trying to prove. Light, heat, X-rays, sound, pressure, touch, thought. They are merely convenient models of the reality of what really ‘is’. It’s a model that has us accepting without thought there is a separate ‘us’ and ‘it all’. And take light itself - we even have two useful models for how light ‘works’ – wave and particle, quite incompatible with each other. But they are useful depending on what it is you want to ‘do’ with light. Want diffraction – use wave. Want photovoltaic – use particle. Use whatever is useful – even if it doesn’t make sense to you right now. The undifferentiated continuum of all energy. We need to tie that in with Intent. I’ve already mentioned unselfconsciousness so we should be ready to go real soon. Remind me if I forget. It’s real important.

Based on my experience with new traders, most look ‘at’ their screens rather than ‘into’ the market. They fail to look deeply enough. It’s too dimensional. Subsequently they end up trading what’s on their screen - their own reflection - of the market, rather than the undifferentiated reality of the underlying market itself. How can be set about attempting to fix this?

When your attention is drawn to a bird noisily taking off from the pond you were so quietly sitting beside, it was your awareness of that bird that established your attention on it. Your attention to it did not exist prior to having your awareness of it. Couldn’t have. You can’t put your attention on something of which you are not aware. Can you? If you care just for a moment to take a position that it’s possible to swap that normal cause and effect around, your could consider the possibility that your attention can be ‘tuned’ to await the awareness event of the bird noisily taking of from the pond. It doesn’t get any simpler than that. Your attention precedes your awareness. Your attention is what brings awareness to your consciousness. You need to prime your attention in readiness. We normally do it the other way around. We are aware of something and then ‘give it our attention’. But this is just a figure of speech – this form of attention is the awareness event that lets our conscious thinking ‘us’ take notice of an event that has occurred and has been brought to us by our unconscious. You need to be ready to accept what occurs. Ready to experience it. Not be surprised by it. Most do it the other way round. You can tune your attention to anything you wish. And any number of things or events. Just takes practice and intent. And of course, unselfconsciousness. You don’t care if the attention that leads to the awareness event ever occurs. It may. It may not. You really don’t care. As we’ve already discussed, the location of Attention or rather which location it isn’t in (can’t be the conscious mind otherwise it wouldn’t be on a position to feed what’s interesting to our conscious mind) isn’t the issue. What we want to know is how do we get to it to let it know what we what to be nudged ‘awake’ by? Well, how do you think you do it already? You need to figure this one out for yourself as the figuring is the process and not just the means to the solution. I will help you by PM but only yes/no type stuff. You need to think it thru. I’ll give you one small hint before moving on: work backwards from what you are doing right now, sitting at your screen, reading this post – and work back to what it was that brought you to this post, on this thread, on this bulletin board at this very point in time. Attention is a filter (or trigger) between unconscious awareness of ‘all that is’ and the awareness event which is what we get to think about consciously. If you thought you just caught me using the term unconscious awareness, you did. And no, not this post. What causes you to notice the things you notice? You set your own attention filter. How do you do that?

While you’re giving all that your attention, in your experience, which is more likely to occur: a reversal or a continuation? What does the price have to do first to warrant being called a trend or a consolidation? What does it have to look like or be doing. Easy enough. What then has to happen for it to be considered to no longer be classed as it just was? How far back, in terms of number of bars, do you need to go to know it’s changed its nature, or not? If the same price mechanism works in all markets across all timeframes, and this is just for argument’s sake of course, what would you have had to have done to know with reasonable probability the price was going to have done what it did in say just half the number of timeframes you previously needed?

It occurs to me that I can usefully demonstrate something which I want to develop next post with one simple exercise. If you have more than one entry setup. Pick one. Doesn’t matter which. But one which you have traded for a period of time either on paper or with real money. What’s your win rate? As a percentage. If you’ve kept a log of all these trades (and if you haven’t, that’s OK, but for the purposes of this question, start logging them now if you want to play along and come back in a couple hundred timeframes to look at this again). You also need to compile a list of your numbers of consecutive losses against total number of trades up to the point that particular string of consecutive losses occurred. There is a list example thumbnail below. In my example I’m saying after 15 trades I had 2 consecutive losing trades occur (trades 14 & 15). After 35 trades I had a run of 3 consecutive losing trades occur (trades 33, 34 & 35). And after 101 trades I had 2 consecutive losing trades occur (trades 100 & 101). OK? Someone might ask, so I’ll specifically mention, a single losing trade does not constitute a consecutive losing trade. Seriously, some folk (statisticians mainly) will insist on including single loss trades as valid if they think they know where I’m going with this one. It’s highly unlikely they do, as I have only the faintest of notions myself. So it’s cumulative trades to date with a list entry trigger each time you have more than one loser in a row.

Do you think the more trades you make with any given system which has a known and fixed win rate and more specifically with your chosen system for this exercise will:-

(a) have no impact on the frequency of consecutive losses of similar number
(b) increase your chance of having multiple consecutive losses of similar number
(c) decrease your chance of have multiple consecutive losses of similar number
(d) increase the probability of you having even longer runs of consecutive losers
(e) decrease the probability of you having even longer runs of consecutive losers.

Don’t limit yourself necessarily to choosing just one option, but unless you have some interesting variant on my way of thinking (if so, I want to hear from you), you’ll probably not choose more than one option from (a) thru (c) and no more than one from (d) or (e). Might be fun to share your thinking with others on the boards if you wish, but equally valid as a personal thought exercise. If you do decide to post – think it thru first. Remember what you want to have happen in the other person’s head. Don’t PM me with any of your work on this, unless it’s got nothing to do with the apparent object of the exercise. You don’t need to discuss with me the various merits/demerits of the 5 options or your rationale. That’s for you and others to tackle. That’s the purpose.

(see thumbnail below)

Trading before mastery is different to trading after mastery. You still chop wood and carry water, so the physicality of ‘what’ you do is exactly the same-ish, but the experience is quite different. You can I am sure draw your own parallels with that statement in your own experiences elsewhere in your life where you have already attained a degree of mastery in some endeavor or skill. Until you develop that quiet, motionless, quite thought-less center of operations, you need to trade very cannily. For as soon as you get an inkling of emotions riding over the conscious horizon you need to snap to attention. Emotions will kill your trading and your bottom line. You are striving to trade without ANY emotion. How can you train yourself to tackle just this one area of trading as you develop your mastery? OK, try this. You’re trading SR levels in a bull move and each previous potential resistance level is being ignored and plowed thru as the price action powers on up - and you’re in a Long position. You’ve been Long since the exact starting point of the rise. You’re on a roll. The world is good and you’re the boss. (What was that sound?). The momentum begins to slow coming up to the next key level, and a tension begins to manifest itself in you in the way only you know, and you now hear more clearly that sound – it’s the distant thud of hooves. These are the runaway emotions of your own greed and fear. So the world was good and you were the boss were you? They’re riding out to meet you, the market and that line of potential resistance (potential resistance??? You kidding me man! There’s nothing potential about that line. It’s real! That darned line is actually growing thicker and darker and more foreboding and impenetrable by the second – that’s clear to anyone, surely? Just looking at it is making it more so by the second) and those emotions are looking mean and they’re getting real close now - what do you do? You close your position. You then watch the price development with totally unemotional detachment and objectivity. You can now do this once again, because there’s no cash riding on it – no ego – no emotion - and you’ve already booked some profit. When the price confirms the level was just a rest and the resistance is now support – you can chose to go in Long again if you’ve a mind. It costs you spread plus support confirmation at most. If the level holds as resistance, you’re not Long and you might consider a Short - or not. Either way you’ve shown yourself to be a smart operator and can feel good, but only as long as you realize feeling good, or anything else about that trade, is holding you back from never having to experience emotion in trading ever again. What would you rather have – feel good/feel bad – makes losses. Or feel nothing – make profits? It’s a trick question. My counsel to you if you are ever in that situation and take my advice, after you exit – go do something else. Not as punishment, but as a recognition of your growing control over your own emotions. That’s a lot more important in your journey than attempting to grab the next ride up or down. How many times are you expecting pull that one in succession anyway? Treat yourself to a cup of coffee and watch the sun shining thru the trees, or the rain dripping from the roof. Take a walk out back. Whatever. Treat yourself. You deserve it. As an aside, when it’s gray and cold, why does it always look better with rain as well?
Attached Thumbnails

Forget the news, remember the chart. You're not smart enough to know how news will affect price. The chart already knows the news is coming.

Buy the first pullback from a new high. Sell the first pullback from a new low. There's always a crowd that missed the first boat.

Buy at support, sell at resistance. Everyone sees the same thing and they're all just waiting to jump in the pool

Short rallies not selloffs. When markets drop, shorts finally turn a profit and get ready to cover.

Don't chase momentum if you can't find the exit. Assume the market will reverse the minute you get in. If it's a long way to the door, you're in big trouble.

Exhaustion gaps get filled. Breakaway and continuation gaps don't. The old traders' wisdom is a lie. Trade in the direction of gap support whenever you can