Crime and punishment

Why is that funny?

Oh please don't try and sap the humour out of what could be an otherwise very dry thread :)

I take it you have not served in the emergency services, military or police, where humour is a fact of life, regardless of the circumstances?

:D:cheesy:

P.S. Should that be M.A.S.H. -- yes I think it should :D or even M*A*S*H

If the largest proportion of people in a country are forced to live in extreme poverty, while the rich live in plenty then you have a recipe for violent upheavals which provoke repression. Any banana republic will testify to that.

I would suggest a happy country is one where everyone has enough like Sweden. A happy country has the support of most of its citizens and is a prosperous, successful country. The rich have to be seen as generous with their wealth to be tolerated.

If the largest proportion of people in a country are forced to live in extreme poverty, while the rich live in plenty then you have a recipe for violent upheavals which provoke repression. Any banana republic will testify to that.

I would suggest a happy country is one where everyone has enough like Sweden. A happy country has the support of most of its citizens and is a prosperous, successful country. The rich have to be seen as generous with their wealth to be tolerated.

Have you seen the real Swedish news recently? The once highly regarded utopian society is fraying at the edges at least, major cities are undergoing change for the worst, Malmo appears to be the main focus for change.

Have you seen the real Swedish news recently? The once highly regarded utopian society is fraying at the edges at least, major cities are undergoing change for the worst, Malmo appears to be the main focus for change.

Oh !!
What has gone wrong to spoil the Swedish Utopian dream ?
Hasn't been on the news that I have read.

First time use of batton rounds by police on British mainland, a sign of increasing violent crime? Next stop.....m.i.l.i.t.a.r.y. (done in the style of MASH :LOL:)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...bber-bullets-knife-crime-pitsea-a8628571.html

Or maybe a sign of increasingly violent police. However “necessary” it might be I hate the sight of overtly armed police on our streets and the military style armed police squads in their helmets and black uniforms.

I once wandered up to the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Geoffrey Howe, and said hello when he was enjoying a cup of tea in an airport cafe. Can’t do that nowadays. Aside from the fact that he’d never be allowed sit at the table l’d probably be bludgeoned to the floor as I approached.

As the human race evolves I thought it would become more civilised not less. Another pipe dream I supppose :LOL:

Down here in the south-west, Devon & Cornwall Constabulary backed away recently from a merger with Dorset as local politicians involved in overseeing policing objected. The Chief Constables and presumably their senior colleagues in both forces were for the merger.

Though this sounds like politicians looking after themselves, but they might also have recognised that such a piece-meal merger is just an expensive sticking plaster. When what might be really cost-effective and lead to more efficent policing would be a merger of all the local police forces in England - Scotland has already done this and its been the situation in Northern Ireland for a century. Meanwhile in England and Wales we have 43 police forces of about county size each

Anyone on the site with experience of policing in Scotland or NI and how it might compare?

Didn't take long for the police to end up in court.

The public wants something done about moped crime and yet when something is done, the enforcers are stopped and the criminals carry on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46440172

Absolutely. The Police were full of bluster and bravado about ramming mopeds but it has been country-wide policy for years not to do so and to abandon all pursuits where the riders are unhelmeted or take off their helmets. I have seen this on several occasions on these fly on the wall cop programmes like Road Wars and Police Interceptors. If it was a dangerous practice then, it's still dangerous now and how could they be so cynical as to think they could kid us all that they had a plan to deal with this sort of crime? Another case of the police doing themselves no favours and leaving us in the dark.

I would strongly support a scheme to have everyone's DNA on computer including immigrants.
Easy to round up sex attackers and other criminals.
Only the criminals and their fans would object. Probably use the ole "invasion of privacy cant " excuse.
No doubt that the current wet politicians would find some excuse.

Don't know where to stick this but as it is a criminal offence to fly droids over Gatwick thought this thread fits the bill.

I smell something really fishy about Gatwick being grounded. I find it difficult to believe it is because of the droid.

In the news the police are appealing to people to help identify it? REALLY?

I'm surprised officials haven't spotted the droid, identified make and model and determine signal frequency. Even if they can't, the signal whether encrypted or not can be traced. Military intel can capture and decodes signals of all sorts. We can track planes high in the sky miles away on the other side of the continent. We can track submarines and listen to them deep under the ocean.

Here we have droid and worlds leading high tech country and police ask citizens to help identify device.

They've got to be kidding?

Anyhow, I suspect there is some other reason for shutting down Gatwick as I find this droid fiasco unbelievable!

As for the punishment, well I'd employ him in GCHQ so he can teach them boyz how to evade capture. If Brexit wasn't enough we now have airports under siege from lil droids. What ever next? :(

Don't know where to stick this but as it is a criminal offence to fly droids over Gatwick thought this thread fits the bill.

I smell something really fishy about Gatwick being grounded. I find it difficult to believe it is because of the droid.

In the news the police are appealing to people to help identify it? REALLY?

I'm surprised officials haven't spotted the droid, identified make and model and determine signal frequency. Even if they can't, the signal whether encrypted or not can be traced. Military intel can capture and decodes signals of all sorts. We can track planes high in the sky miles away on the other side of the continent. We can track submarines and listen to them deep under the ocean.

Here we have droid and worlds leading high tech country and police ask citizens to help identify device.

They've got to be kidding?

Anyhow, I suspect there is some other reason for shutting down Gatwick as I find this droid fiasco unbelievable!

As for the punishment, well I'd employ him in GCHQ so he can teach them boyz how to evade capture. If Brexit wasn't enough we now have airports under siege from lil droids. What ever next? :(

It waz dur Rusians wot dunnit innit.

Incredibly relaxed response from security services so far, as well as incredibly unprepared planning.

Drone sightings started Wednesday evening. Latest sighting was 1625 Thursday, despite police and security unit search and observations. Military not called in until mid-pm Thursday (sunset occurs just before 4pm this time of year in the south-east).

This is not the first drone incident at Gatwick (12 reported incidents in 2 years to July 2018 when new no-drone zone came into force). Seems hard to believe the police had planned so poorly for such a "denial of service" attack that they did not realise until the next day that they could not deal with drones at Gatwick, there's been ample chance to rehearse this. Seems like their policy has been to drive round and look for an anorak with a remote control unit in his hands, or wait for the batteries to run out and for the operator to get tired and p1ss off home.

Who's put that f-ing advert in my post? Why.

Oh boy, never seen you so angry dear Tom!

Think first time I'm reading an expletive from your good self. I'm in shock.

Don't hold it in. Do let it out.

Deep breaths. :p

Any members with cars - when was the last time you were stopped by a UK police car/bike?

Last (and only) time for me was about 1976.

I posted this 12/11. Anyone in the UK even seen a traffic stop since that date?

Oh boy, never seen you so angry dear Tom!

Think first time I'm reading an expletive from your good self. I'm in shock.

Don't hold it in. Do let it out.

Deep breaths. :p

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

F-ing christmas. Never fails to wind me up. Starting with that f-ing awful trite music. F off bing Crosby.

F-ing christmas. Never fails to wind me up. Starting with that f-ing awful trite music. F off bing Crosby.

Get yerself a SAD light, get some sun in your eyeballs, vit D also, a couple of beers, maybe something for the weekend sir? It all helps o_O

Oh dear... Dare I say I enjoy the festive season and listening to crimble music too. Perhaps less said the better. :)

The impact of Gatwick however, is literally 100s of flights and 100s of thousand commuters, friends and relatives impacted.

Your write up of the police response is not far from the truth. The government or the military aren't taking this seriously.

Alternatively, they are doing exactly as planned and watching the fall out from whatever cell's activities are disrupted, watching and tracing extra comms as a consequence collecting intel. I do hope it is not incompetence but a coverup to something else.

I posted this 12/11. Anyone in the UK even seen a traffic stop since that date?

They normally stop drivers for speeding and do breathalyser tests around this time of the year.

Don't drink and drive! Or else!!! :eek::eek::eek: