Cricket World

Poor old Monty..but still 8wks

Gilchrist was awesome...........but how he didn't then go on to get 11 from 6 (or maybe 7 deliveries) was completely beyond me........ I had my little mobi ready to tape the historic moment but alas...was not 2B.

IVA still reigns .... just......but the writing is on the wall.

England ? lets move on ......- there's always the World Cup ..... then WIndies in the summer .......... They should roll them over....... not a patch on the greenidge, haynes, Richards, lloyd ...and the fearsome battery of quicks from days of yore.......but that's a high benchmark for any team!

yacarob1 said:
No way will it be a draw with 12 wickets falling on the first day.

For this to be a draw we will need at least 2 days of rain.

I agree that Australia will probably get a massive 2nd Innings score but they always possess the ability to bowl out England very cheaply indeed.

What can I say..............flawless! :cheesy:

England to be all out for circa 200 and Australia to win by around 300-350 runs.

Reckon you might get decent odds on that , but there again.................

Mr Gilchrist entertained me hugely over breakfast this morning. I salute the maestro.

evening all, first or all, condolences to the king of spain. terrible news regarding his partner.

onto todays play though. are we on the verge of seeing possibly the greatest finish to a cricket match ever?

3 ways this can go.

1) flintoff and KP are dismissed in the first hour, then the aussies wrap it up soon after lunch

2) flintoff and KP do the hard part, batting til lunch without loss, giving us a hint of a victory, before flintoff chases a wide one in the first over after lunch and the EnglandBattingCollapse (TM) resumes normal service

3) flintoff and KP rack up 200 by tea, leaving us circa 100 to get in the final session. within sight of the finishing line we have a mini collapse, before Sarge and Monty see us home with some thrilling play.

the aussies dont play too well under pressure (viz their comparatively poor record of chasing sub 150 totals) sadly, we havent as yet put them under any pressure.

this pitch is playing ok at the moment, and with a bit of application, chasing down 300 in a day isnt a problem. just dont look at the scoreboard. hit the bad balls, and dont pad up to the straight ones.

come on angleterre, if new zealand can bat a day without losing their final wicket, we can do the same with plenty to spare.

wonder which scenario we will see in a few hours, i wish it were 3, but it will be 1 , wont it?

fc

As a Lancastrian I would love Freddie to stuff all those criticisms back where they came from.......

If Gilly can come back from "obscurity" then why not our Freddie - come on FRED the nation needs you....
Now is the time to show those who thought you were the next Botham that the comparison is just about ...........still valid

As for Cook - I'll need to keep an eye on you my son -4 tons before 22y not bad especially for a Pom!

Yes Hook Shot, I have today also broached the subject of a possible England win and concluded that for this to happen, both Flintoff and Pietersen would need to stay together until the tea interval.

This is quite possible but not a high probability event.

I think Scenario # 2 is the most likely outcome. Those two can hang around until lunch but sooner or later at least one of them is going to go for a real slog and get out.

But an England victory ( currently 20/1 against ) is a possibility but not a trade that I would consider taking.

Low probability and high risk of loss doth not a good trade make.

Current prices at Sporting Odds :-

Australia 1/7

England 20/1

Draw 13/2

Says it all really doesn't it ?

Hail Shane Warne, The King.

England are just a bunch of clueless, cretinous wa*n*kers, aren't they ?

:cry:

yacarob1 said:
Hail Shane Warne, The King.

England are just a bunch of clueless, cretinous wa*n*kers, aren't they ?

:cry:

I'm trying to find some positives to take from this current "turmoil".........
As traders we know these things move in cycles :cheesy:
One day England will be good again....... but until that period comes back we have to disply a buddhist detachment with regards to the current England woes.......... it's meant to be this way for a period at any rate...

One day Tiger will struggle to win a tournament .... never mind a major
One day Federer will be beaten more regularly.........one year he won't even win a grand slam
One year Chelsea won't finish in the top 5

In their heyday to think that Liverpool would go years without winning the title would be ridiculous but here we are........

Hope springs eternal ........... :)

its getting ridiculous now.. yet another paltry first innings score, followed by a lack of killer instinct with regard to finishing off symonds and the tail.

looks like we will be facing a 250+ deficit minimum now. and barring a miracle, im afraid its going to be 4-0.

it has been abject. truly appalling. i can only hope that we dont shift the team around too much (the guys do have talent) and just see how we do against the indies (both versions) this summer. i have a feeling that although we havent been good enough for the Aussies, we havent turned into a bad team.

i fear that the majority of the problems stem from Freddie. woeful with the bat, average with the ball, and yet he hasnt got the nous to shift the batting order around to protect him (why not go in at 8 or 9 for example?)

cook really does have to look at his technique though. no offence to the lad, and he has got 4 more test hundreds than i have, but the aussies have already found his weakness (not that it wasnt obvious). He has the temperament, but not the technique to open the batting. he plays at too many wide ones. as does bell. as does collingwood.

hopefully the guys will prove me wrong tonight, but i fear the pressure of needing 300 or so just to get to parity is going to be too much for them. it will need a big opening stand, a couple of 150s and some decent support from the morons who inhabit slots 6-11.

you never know, we may win the one-day series?

;)

maybe im in denial as well.

fc

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, England go 4-0 down after the most shameful and abject performance of all time.

Losing by an innings and 99 runs inside 3 days is not good is it ?

I suppose the good thing is it gives Flintoff 2 extra drinking days.

Any takers for a 2 day Test in Sydney ?

shambolic...

it reminds me of the 1989 series, when the aussies were so confident of bowling us out inside 60 overs with Terry Alderman doing his thing, that they used to bat on so long as to make the game completely dead, and yet we still would capitulate.

how can professional sportsment, on what was a fairly benign wicket, manage to get skittled out for sub 200 twice inside 3 days..

tragic.

and the worrying thing is, i think this is one of the better teams we could put out. problem lies with the gameplan, and for that, ferdie and fletcher need to be questioned.

wonder if they will drop read now after he had a pretty exemplary game. wouldnt surprise me.

but, in the spirits of sportsmanship, i salute you Shane.. he plys his trade how it is meant to be played. with passion, enjoyment, intelligence and incredible skill and determination. I think i would struggle to name one current england player who has all those attributes..

Joules, have you got shane's number ;-)

fc

Flintoff will be ok though.

As we speak he probably has his head immersed in a trough of beer.

Any takers for an England victory in the final Test ?

Sporting Odds are now offering :-

Australia 3/10

England 5/1

Draw 7/1

So they are still heavily favouring Australia which is not surprising is it ?

My guess is that this will be a close game for up to 3 days and after that Australia will rip the guts out of England once again and win with time to spare so that Flintoff can get to the pub by opening time on Day 5.

Anybody having a Whitewash Party in their street ?

Flintoff must be overjoyed at the end of Day 3 because the whole thing will be done and dusted during Day 4, leaving a full day for boozing on Day 5.

Good on ya Fred !!!

And the final insult from Sporting Odds....

Australia 1/30

England 16/1

Draw 100/1

Right then lads, we are in the final of the One Day Series against that Australian shower.

Never mind the Test Matches and those Ashes - this is the real thing.

Never mind the betting ( Oz 1-8, Poms 5-1 ) - we are gonna make em grovel - in the immortal words of Tony Greig.

And pigs will then fly over the moon and there will be snow storms in Barbados.

I remember grovel unfortunately windies refised tp co-operate ....especially IVAR - really should have got 300 in that match though!

Negative psychology aside - this run chase is gettable...... EngerLand!!!