Cricket World

No interest in this Test Series I'm afraid.

2 mediocre and lacklustre teams fighting a meaningless battle.

It will take Flintoff's bar-room antics to liven things up.

Me too Yacorob1 I am afraid...though apparently it costs £65 to get into Lords for the privilege of watching it

Thirty two years ago ..............on the road to perdition with Packer in '77.

Aside from the Australians, and the truly great Warne and McGrath in particular, the standard of players across the world, and in the county championship in particular, is light years below what it used to be. As for England's next opponents, the West Indies...

I prefer to remember the great sport it used to be.

not the ability to play, the ability is even grreater due to technical knowledge today compared to yesteryear.........the passion isnt the same............but, then, those earlier players came out of a very harsh period and they had a grit, they had balls because the period made them agressive, there was a level of psychology that they and I grew up with and THAT level doesnt exist now..........of course it is going return.........until then, slick n' slicker the sport gets because money makes the game go round.........take away the money and you'll see spirit return...........how many traders you know who sit behind a screen have the same character as a pit/floor trader ?

I don't think the game has changed, just that, part of the game has taken center stage.........as in all things emphasis comes from the mass .........Daryl Hare, ex-umpire, paid the price for not going with the "flow" .........a murdered trainer .........wow, amazing stuff..........

didnt know Tom Hanks played cricket

the ability is even grreater due to technical knowledge today compared to yesteryear

I wish that was true Joules. I would still be watching if it was.

The overall standard of county cricket across the country is much, much lower. If I take my county Leicestershire, not one of the current players would get into the side of the '70s or 80s or even late nineties when they last won the County Championshire. They might be better athletes, but they are not in the same league as cricketers.

There are of course still some top players around in test cricket, but not the overall quality, and I am not just referring to the current joke who call themselves the West Indies...

Sorry to be harking on about the past again, but the cricket season used to have a regular, lovely rhythm.

First test starting on the first Thursday in June. Real tours from the touring team, with competitive matches against each county. 10 day gaps between tests. And, most importantly of all, only 3 one day internationals.

What now? Touring teams arrive to play no competitive matches against the counties, back-to-back tests which can start on any day of the week, followed by 5672 one day internationals. None of which anybody can ever remember...

Maybe not the greatest attack in the world but full credit to the Captain ........
He'd been pelted with bricks maybe right maybe wrong but there's only one response to doubters and thats PERFORMANCE!

Perhaps there's a personal aspect to all of this but I shared his joy :D

Maybe not the greatest attack in the world but full credit to the Captain ........
He'd been pelted with bricks maybe right maybe wrong but there's only one response to doubters and thats PERFORMANCE!

Any batsman worth a quarter of his salt could score a 100 against the insipid bowling attack served up by that shower, as evidenced by the number of England batting centurions already in this "Test" series.

Strauss is probably the only non-centurion, but of course he is weighed down by the awesome responsibilities and pressures of captaincy, isn't he, so we can forgive him.

It was these special responsibilities and mind boggling pressures that caused dear Flintoff to enter into a life of drunken debauchery wasn't it ?

Panesar will probably score a century later today.

Even the 12th man might get in on the act ...................

Sorry, Strauss is no longer Captain is he ?

His continued batting failure must therefore stem from the certain knowledge that should Michael -Jonny Wilkinson - Vaughan get injured again ( which is as certain as night following day ) then the unbelievably harsh pressures of captaincy will once again be thrust on his fragile shoulders. How can anyone be expected to bat under those conditions ?

I bet Gordon Brown is thanking his lucky stars that he is about to become Prime Minister and not Captain of the England cricket team.

Becoming PM is a relatively stress free option compared to the momentous alternative and the mind-boggling pressures that are associated with it.

Can England wrap up victory at Headingley against Bangladesh in between the downpours.......

(Sorry...did I say Bangladesh?......I meant the Windies)

Bangladindies rolled over for us and the great British public are expected to be impressed if the reaction by Wilko-Vaughan et al is anything to go by.

And so, on to the next sporting farce where I will be demanding a century from Montgomery Panesar himself.

After all, I am pretty sure that my dog could score a century against this lot so surely I can expect dear Monty to oblige.

Come back snooker, crown green bowling and darts, all is forgiven.

After all, I am pretty sure that my dog could score a century against this lot so surely I can expect dear Monty to oblige.

Makes a change from Boycs promoting the batting prowess of his mum :cheesy:

Classic Yaca
Thx:LOL: :LOL:

If my dog was batting I am not quite sure where the leg side would be because if he was standing at an angle then surely both sides would then be the leg side.

Might well confuse the off spinners, hmm.

If my dog was batting ...........
You've surpassed yourself.
I'm having whatever you're on... :cheesy:

But seriously... I feared we might get an inconclusive outcome to the Woolmer death story and that's how it has turned out ... My gut says murder most horrid but maybe they could not put together a strong enough case...... so it's been watered down to the "acceptable" verdict of natural causes ! Sad but who knows what was going on behind the scenes .. on this investigation ?

Yeah, really strange goings on in the Woolmer case.

Beats me how you can be strangled by natural causes.

Mind you, Michael Hutchence had a good shot at it.

P.S. Been practicing my off breaks against my dog in the garden. I was right...it is totally confusing. I reckon they will need to rewrite the lbw laws to take account of 4 legged batsmen.

It comes down to whether you believe a British autopsy expert versus a Jamaican one who is now in disgrace. I know who I'd put my money on. They thought he'd been strangled because of a broken bone in his neck, but this could happen as he fell or as the body was being moved. Secondly, the body was apparently up against the door, so if he had been killed whoever killed him couldn't have left the room. And finally there's a lack of a motive. Anyone who watches cricket knows that the idea of the Pakistani captain doing something in a fit of rage is highly implausible. He's a big guy who's never hurried or stressed, though he did grumble a lot that the universe was conspiring against him.

It's actually quite shocking the spin the media put on it throughout focussing on the movements of the Pakistani team and how their DNA was taken, almost presuming that they were to blame without saying as much.

You've surpassed yourself.
I'm having whatever you're on... :cheesy:

But seriously... I feared we might get an inconclusive outcome to the Woolmer death story and that's how it has turned out ... My gut says murder most horrid but maybe they could not put together a strong enough case...... so it's been watered down to the "acceptable" verdict of natural causes ! Sad but who knows what was going on behind the scenes .. on this investigation ?

It comes down to whether you believe a British autopsy expert versus a Jamaican one who is now in disgrace. I know who I'd put my money on. They thought he'd been strangled because of a broken bone in his neck, but this could happen as he fell or as the body was being moved. Secondly, the body was apparently up against the door, so if he had been killed whoever killed him couldn't have left the room. And finally there's a lack of a motive. Anyone who watches cricket knows that the idea of the Pakistani captain doing something in a fit of rage is highly implausible. He's a big guy who's never hurried or stressed, though he did grumble a lot that the universe was conspiring against him.

It's actually quite shocking the spin the media put on it throughout focussing on the movements of the Pakistani team and how their DNA was taken, almost presuming that they were to blame without saying as much.

Takes different views to make a market and you may very well be right - who knows ?

The chief investigator in Jamaica is from Uk (Scotland Yard ?) and by all accounts was considered a bit of a star. I take that to mean a rush to judgement about "murder" would seem an enormous gamble and an "interesting" career move unless it could be substantiated....

After all if he'd have said "natural causes" most people would have swallowed that ... but he went for murder .... implying he felt he had grounds to do so...........

Whatever happened very sad.....

Just when it looked as though the Windies might put up a bit of a fight in this one...they have capitulated again

(Credit to Chanderpaul though, who has a very good test record against England)

Cricket is certainly not attracting much interest amongst T2W members!

Not surprising - the ECB's half-arsed decision to award four tests to the woeful Windies, and only 3 tests to a much more talented India was, as I say, half-arsed. The first test was decided by the weather. In what is effectively a two test series the Indians are batting England out of the "series" as I type.

With the tedium of 7 one-day internationals to come, most of which will probably be fixed by Asian betting rings, it is all eyes on the Premiership from tomorrow.....

Who's touring in 2008? Who cares!