Cricket World

Hook

No mate, you're not the only one, I've been trying to stay awake the last 3 nights but its hard work watching us get mullered.

Anyway, with the aussies not enforcing the follow-on, we might be able to bat out and get a draw ;)

Bring back Monty !!

I watched it live on TV until half way through the second session on the first day, when it suddenly became abundantly clear that, not only was the 1st Test lost, but the Series and the Ashes as well.

A very sad and sorry performance from the most obvious bunch of sporting losers ever to leave these shores.

Can they cancel the rest of the Series please to avoid further embarrassment ?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

yacarob1 said:
A very sad and sorry performance from the most obvious bunch of sporting losers ever to leave these shores.
Excepting last year's England World Cup squad, obviously.

A close run thing I have to admit.

Could it be something to do with both sides ( football and cricket ) having non-English management or is it a complete lack of application, preparation, concentration, focus and natural ability ?

These guys would make lousy traders.

yacarob1 said:
A close run thing I have to admit.

Could it be something to do with both sides ( football and cricket ) having non-English management or is it a complete lack of application, preparation, concentration, focus and natural ability ?

These guys would make lousy traders.

Having just watched the pitiful English rugby team lose (again) - I think we can rule out non-English management as the cause of all our sporting woes.

Personally I think it's because we win something, proclaim ourseleves as sporting gods, then immediately rest on our laurels and let the rest of the world catch up and overtake us. It's happened in rugby, world cup three years ago, cricket, Ashes two years ago and soccer, world cup 42 years ago. And yes, I believe it's this mentality that we absolutely must have an Englishman as manager that displays our sporting self-agrandissement at its worst.

pogle

It doesn't help that the English ( probably ) invented these sports does it ?

Tends to feed the air of complacency.

Yes, I think the nationality of the management is probably irrelevant.

The English are just pretty crap at all sports at the moment.

Hey cricket lovers nice to see yah.......

Dicey one at The Gabba but remember 1981 !
ig offering 1.5 for the draw with make up of 10............ but we probably need some weather assistance for even that.

Anyway I thought that McGrath geezer was over the hill..........he looks like he could be top wicket taker of the series.......

Hey I'm getting carried away one match doesn't make a trend but the signs are ominous!

Did any of you see the highlights last night (Friday) when Boycott ripped into that reporter..........out of order .. really vicious! Thank God for Tony Greig's interjection is all I can say............

Hook

ig offering 1.5 for the draw with make up of 10............ but we probably need some weather assistance for even that.

If we get the draw it will probably snow in Brisbane in mid-summer.

My prediction is 5-0 for the series to Oz unless we have lots of rain, and I mean lots........................

yacarob1 said:
If we get the draw it will probably snow in Brisbane in mid-summer.

My prediction is 5-0 for the series to Oz unless we have lots of rain, and I mean lots........................

... unfortunately I think Australia is in the middle of the longest drought since records began ...

morning all. much better day for Angleterre this morning. collingwood gave his wicket away, and as for Ferdy. Dear god the press have convinced him he is a better batsman than he really is.

all down to KP, our Australian keeper and the King of Spain. now.

if they can get through to lunch losing 1 wicket or less, then the pressure will start to really kick in, and boy, if we draw this, then it will be the biggest psychological hammer blow since, err, err, errr. you got me.

roll on the 2nd test. bring in Joyce and Shah from the academy and lets do some damage with some proper batsman.

FC

Sporting Odds are quoting England at 125-1 to win.

Anybody care to wager £ 8,000 to bring in a cool million ?

On the other hand, you would need to wager £ 25 million on Oz at quoted odds of 1-25 to bring in the same result.

The Draw is quoted at 7-1 which means that you can probably also get 7-1 on aliens from Outer Space invading the Brisbane pitch and causing the match to be abandoned or indeed, on violent tropical snow blizzards preventing any further play.

to be fair, that 125-1 looks a good price to me.

apart from the odd couple of cracks on a length, its not really misbehaving all that much.

McGrath is injured and it showed in his bowling today, Lee is too inconsistent to hit the right length.

which basically means it boils down to Warne v KP tomorrow.

300-odd runs in a day isnt beyond the realms of sensible batting, and who knows, if we go into the last session with 4 wickets in hand and only needing 120, then it could be tight.

bearing in mind the aussie win is far from a formality, partly for the bowling reasons mentioned above, and also that i still am troubled by nightmare from the tour to New Zealand about 10 years ago when Danny Morrison (a true member of the Number 11 club) managed to bat out an entire day to deny england victory.

these things can, and do happen.

plus, it would possibly make this test go down as the greatest in history (yes, better than Headingly 81, Edgebaston 2005 etc)

gotta stick it to Pontins.

:)

Fettered

What you are saying is all valid but it is probably the biggest "if" in the entire history of sport since time immemorial.

I shall say my prayers before I go to bed tonight. :LOL:

balls, the boys let me down last night.. no change there then.

still, lets see if Fletcher and Flintoff can borrow some brain cells and work out that to win a match you need your best team on the pitch. to pick Giles at 8 to "bolster the batting" implies that there is something wrong with the batting in the first place.

lets go crazy.

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Jones (yes, i know)
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Read
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar

pick Jones for his batting. a bit of pinch hitting up the order could rattle Dad's Army.

takes some of the pressure of KP and Ferdy in the middle order

Collingwood has a history of marshalling the late order so lets play the extra batsment and bowlers who can win matches. Harmison, Flintoff and Panesar are matchwinners. Hoggy is a great new-ball bowler, and then there is Collingwood, KP and Bell to give the others a bit of a rest for a few overs.

that is a strong batting lineup, without any of the pie chuckers that we keep player. Im looking at you Anderson and Giles.

thoughts?

fc

FetteredChinos said:
lets go crazy.

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Jones (yes, i know)
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Read
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar

thoughts?

fc

Nice line up, I like your thinking of putting Jones up front and Collingwood further down the order, however, I wouldn't have 2 wicketkeepers, so Read would have to go and be replaced by either Joyce or Dalrymple.

I think that we're shuffling chairs on the titanic.........sure we have got to make the best of what we have but in all truth we don't have that much......... freddies bowling Kp's batting then a plethora of happy hookers....

Bring Monty back ........ mmmh good choice at Adelaide but...... we might have a repeat of the Harmison saga ....... The Aussies are ready for him and they might destroy him (his spirit at least) before he can get into his swing.

As Boycs said batsmen have to do their job ...... and that includes you Freddie!

And so, onwards and upwards ? to the 2nd Test.

Let's be positive here.

I think that provided our losing margin is less than 277 runs in the 2nd Test, then English cricket will have made progress.

If we can get the losing margin to less than 100 runs or less than 5 wickets ( say ), it may just signal the beginning of the end for Australian cricket.

And please everybody, offer up your prayers for inclement weather.

Just over 24 hours to go to the next cricketing extravaganza / disaster - depending on whether you are an Aussie or a Pom.

My expert prediction this time is for another heavy English defeat.

Not quite as heavy as in the 1st Test but heavy nonetheless.

Chances of rain are probably higher in Adelaide than in Brisbane so keep your fingers crossed for plenty of thundery "draw-making" showers.

Let's hope wide boy Harmison is nearer the mark this time.

So far so good lads and Colly and KP do the biz once more...... yeh real good feeling to see the lads put on a show. Sure it's only day I .......but you gotta take your pleasures where you can ........ and the spreadies are saying they will get 475-90 ........ let's hope eh

Come on Colly nearly there boy!