Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Being British is something I'd prefer to keep quiet, if possible

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Embarrased to be British

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Ashamed to be British

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
Forget brand ..use your eyes/ears ....best suits I ever bought bought, from a greyhaired old guy in Vienna...best shoes from his grey haired 'cousin' in Budapest ....next best from an old and small manufacturer in the Lakes who takes them back every couple of years and for peanuts puts a brand new sole and lining on and in....they'll outlast me ...what's the common ingredient...it takes time to develop the very best expertise and it takes control of size to keep it

Matalan sales are also good. I bought 7 good quality "Easy" shirts for £3 each!

JTrader said:
Primark rules!

I recently bought 5 pairs of jeans for £4 each!, 3 pairs of trouser £8 each, 2 belts for £3 each. I know they were probably all made by poor chinese girls working 16 hour shifts in sweat shops, which is wrong, but if they keep on supplying them, people will buy them. Let's face it, many people in this country cannot afford to pay much more for clothing anyway, so perhaps shops like Primark & Poundland are a necessity.

I think TKMAXX items can be quite pricey. If people go in there expectig everything to be a bargain, they'll be surprised. Though I have picked up some real bargains in the footwear and skiwear sections.
:)

Did somebody mention TKMAXX...? Watch out for your balances guys...

Atilla said:
Did somebody mention TKMAXX...? Watch out for your balances guys...

Never use credit cards - never use internet banking. Did you know its against the law to refuse payment for goods and services for cash ?

JTrader said:
Matalan sales are also good. I bought 7 good quality "Easy" shirts for £3 each!

Look JT, I'm getting a terrible picture of your dress sense. Those shirts have fly away collars.

AsifA said:
Never use credit cards - never use internet banking. Did you know its against the law to refuse payment for goods and services for cash ?

The question is who will refuse cash in hand? :cheesy:

Having said that at this rate I think many people will be refusing $s soon.

AsifA said:
Look JT, I'm getting a terrible picture of your dress sense. Those shirts have fly away collars.

I'm past caring about dress sense Asif. Clean, fits well, cheap (preferably reduced) smart & casual, thats all I require!

Last edited:
British interpretation of dressing for dinner abroad: a new Nike tracksuit. Proud to be British.

Best purchase I made was a pair of Church's brogues for around £250 about 18 years ago. Still look immaculate (cost around £500 new today). However, I returned the first pair the following day as the finish was really bad.

Grant.

AsifA,

Re your concern about JT, doesn't the converse also apply? Someone spends a fortune on the latest designs but they still look a bag shti, eg celebs, footballers (the worse).

JT,

My only concern is "smart casual". Sports commentators, I'm afraid.

Grant.

JTrader said:
I'm past caring about dress sense Asif. Clean, fits well, cheap (preferably reduced) smart & casual, thats all I require!

I am proud to be british.

these are words running round my head as I tuck into a McDonalds hamburger.

I even have "Proud of british culture" embroidered onto my baseball cap. :LOL:

grantx said:
AsifA,

Re your concern about JT, doesn't the converse also apply? Someone spends a fortune on the latest designs but they still look a bag shti, eg celebs, footballers (the worse).

JT,

My only concern is "smart casual". Sports commentators, I'm afraid.

Grant.

Yes I agree with the looking like a bag shti...

I'll tell you why... My dear mum used to be so embarrassed when I used to have tears or holes in my clothes that she would immediately mend them if she could or throw them away. What would peopel think, God forbid.... :rolleyes:

Now when I go shopping I see shirts, jeans, jumpers and coats slashed by someone no doubt pretending to be Edward scissor hands. Simply slashed to pieces.

ANDDDD :!: :!: :!:

they cost more than the ones not ripped apart. :confused:

So imho, fashion now means to dress like a pauper and wear no labels on your clothes and to wear the crotch on your jeans hanging round your knees with your crevice showing is all the rage. Who ever you are dressed as such you are with the in crowd. :LOL:

Smart and clean is too straight. That person may well as wear a John boy Walton tank top and nerdy glasses. He is out!

Trendie old boy,

I think you have an identity crises... Shouldn't you be tucking into good old fish and chips and have "Proud of british culture" embroidered onto your Andy cap... :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Don't know about you guys but I'm just stepping out for a kebab... :cheesy:

Atilla said:
Yes I agree with the looking like a bag shti...

I'll tell you why... My dear mum used to be so embarrassed when I used to have tears or holes in my clothes that she would immediately mend them if she could or throw them away. What would peopel think, God forbid.... :rolleyes:

Now when I go shopping I see shirts, jeans, jumpers and coats slashed by someone no doubt pretending to be Edward scissor hands. Simply slashed to pieces.

ANDDDD :!: :!: :!:

they cost more than the ones not ripped apart. :confused:

So imho, fashion now means to dress like a pauper and wear no labels on your clothes and to wear the crotch on your jeans hanging round your knees with your crevice showing is all the rage. Who ever you are dressed as such you are with the in crowd. :LOL:

Smart and clean is too straight. That person may well as wear a John boy Walton tank top and nerdy glasses. He is out!

Trendie old boy,

I think you have an identity crises... Shouldn't you be tucking into good old fish and chips and have "Proud of british culture" embroidered onto your Andy cap... :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Don't know about you guys but I'm just stepping out for a kebab... :cheesy:

I know what you mean.

I learnt when i was a child that buying expensive designer tosh was not a route to hapiness. In fact, when i buy something expensive, i'm slightly reluctant to use it in case it gets damaged!

I've always taken pride in veing sensible with money, and having a good eye for a bargain.

I sort of laugh at people i know who spend over the odds on cars (£30k for a Porsche Boxter, when you can buy a good used vectra for £1500. You certainly get a lot more car for your money!), £50 on tops, £40 on aftershave, £80 on jeans, £120 on trainers, £400 on skis etc. etc. when I can buy things just as nice, and just as effective, for probably a maximum of 20% of the price, just by shopping around, and stocking up at the right times.

Atilla,

What about hand-me-downs? Fine from an older brother, the problem is when they are from an older sister. Then again...

Grant.

grantx said:
Atilla,

What about hand-me-downs? Fine from an older brother, the problem is when they are from an older sister. Then again...

Grant.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Dare I ask if we are talking underwear or else and did anybody notice? I mean like was this when you were a baby todler or little boy? :cheesy:

JTrader said:
Generally speaking, as a 21st century British citizen, are you proud of GB, and proud to be a GB citizen - in terms of what to you GB offers, and what to you GB represents?

If you live overseas and meet these prats you will be embarrassed. :(
I'm still proud to be English though. :cheesy:

Why are the Brits the great? Why was their empire the most loved (but also hated?) why would Gandhi side with the enemy(Brits) to fight the WW2?

Because there are some things ONLY a BRIT can do;
You now have a First Islamic Business Bank account in the UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6518433.stm

Would Saudi Arabia or Pakistan allow a Christian Bank? LOL

Huh Talk of integration! - this is taking a backward step! I think?

Marwan2010 said:
Why are the Brits the great? Why was their empire the most loved (but also hated?) why would Gandhi side with the enemy(Brits) to fight the WW2?

Because there are some things ONLY a BRIT can do;
You now have a First Islamic Business Bank account in the UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6518433.stm

Would Saudi Arabia or Pakistan allow a Christian Bank? LOL

Huh Talk of integration! - this is taking a backward step! I think?

You are mistaken Marwan,

The Islamic bank is not just for the UK citizens it's an international bank.

It is planned to attract all those profits from high petrol prices back in to the UK.

This is pure business dude... Don't mixit up with all that other business.

Why not I would ask?
What will you gain from it?
What will you lose from it?

Think of it as integrating with the World. No man or country is an Island. Think big and think globally... :)

What do you expect!? They have tequila, we have skol!