A new (lulz) high

Hakuna Matata

357 209
Also, for the record, let me state that I have NEVER had active usernames in parallel. I've always created a new one once the present one has been banned (mostly, ironically, for being a multinic).

VielGeld

Experienced member
1,421 179
Also, for the record, let me state that I have NEVER had active usernames in parallel. I've always created a new one once the present one has been banned (mostly, ironically, for being a multinic).

I won't personally ban a member who has positive contributions to make to T2W (when in good behaviour... :whistling), so you won't see me banning you just yet.

If you can stick to this one account and behave, I think you're fine. :)

Reactions: Hakuna Matata

Lightning McQueen

4,935 788
I won't personally ban a member who has positive contributions to make to T2W.

the flaw in that approach is it can likely give scammers a free run. it's a perfectly fine approach for the exclusion of lulz/sport etc. due to the monetary nature of the site, if the scope of how you view this isn't widened out considerably, then member safety is compromised.

out of interest. in your guidelines, does tackling lulz come above member safety in the order of things?

trendie

Legendary member
6,858 1,416
The last time these kinds of things were discussed (years and years ago), one proposal was to list the members previous nics as part of their details, on teh left-hand side, under their avatars.
Obviously it would be a manual activity by mods.

That way some degree of transparency could be had, and previous convictions listed, allowing members, esp newbies, some visibility of the character of the member concerned.

VielGeld

Experienced member
1,421 179
out of interest. in your guidelines, does tackling lulz come above member safety in the order of things?

Member safety should be #1, no? Lulz are fine so long as they don't derail a thread, imo.

It's also about common sense. We know who contributes and who doesn't. Among vendors, the ones I know positively contribute can be counted on one hand. Any other needs to prove themselves first.

Lightning McQueen

4,935 788
Member safety should be #1, no? Lulz are fine so long as they don't derail a thread, imo.

It's also about common sense. We know who contributes and who doesn't. Among vendors, the ones I know positively contribute can be counted on one hand. Any other needs to prove themselves first.

well in light of the latest mr sb lulz you've now to address the issue that a member who it seems was posting in a friendly manner for at least several days and not the several hours posted in the thread!! was later indeed proven to be a not so friendly multinic who rips off forum members. a multinic who laughs in the face of, and abuses the ripped off once he has their money.

there were no post reports it seems in the debacle. indeed it appears posts warning of identity were deleted in efforts to keep the thread on track. there now has to be a rethink of priorities surely? I have been warning for a long time now post reporting cannot be relied on. when is the moderating going to proactive rather than reactive, and when is someone going to listen properly to the message instead of ignoring it :rolleyes:

Lightning McQueen

4,935 788
an admin says in the thread he wasn't aware, really!!?

see pic courtesy of mr google of his first posting. (30th may)

Attachments

• mr sb but not spotted.PNG
    mr sb but not spotted.PNG
    72 KB · Views: 210

barjon

Legendary member
10,705 1,809
..................and when is someone going to listen properly to the message instead of ignoring it :rolleyes:.............

And just when are you going to stop ignoring the fact that people have been damn well listening and doing their damned best to get it right. If that's falling short, and continues to fall short, of the perfection you reckon you can achieve, then damn well come back and help out. Until then, just let us get on with doing our feeble best.

I'm sick to death of clever buggers, armed with the 20/20 vision of hindsight, telling me what I should have done. Constructive suggestions are one thing - much welcomed and long may they continue - but the continual " ha, ha, you got it wrong again and it was so obvious" is pretty wearing and dispiriting.

Reactions: VielGeld

Lightning McQueen

4,935 788
And just when are you going to stop ignoring the fact that people have been damn well listening and doing their damned best to get it right. If that's falling short, and continues to fall short, of the perfection you reckon you can achieve, then damn well come back and help out. Until then, just let us get on with doing our feeble best.

I'm sick to death of clever buggers, armed with the 20/20 vision of hindsight, telling me what I should have done. Constructive suggestions are one thing - much welcomed and long may they continue - but the continual " ha, ha, you got it wrong again and it was so obvious" is pretty wearing and dispiriting.

it's no good getting the hump mate, you know full well that you need to look for it. and you know I know. all I see is everyone looking at threads that don't need looking at and never looking for what they should be looking for. being proactive means looking at new threads with iffy titles that give away the intent, also looking at "new" members with iffy nics and looking regularly through the "new post" lists. it's not rocket science to check them through.

it's not hindsight stuff to say that it should be easy to check if someone is really ig or not. that actually being one of the easiest for obvious reasons. 2 checks from modcp is all. and you did that right? and saw nothing untoward?

you can't get away from the fact that you lacked a post report to act in a timely manner, this somewhat proves the point of current lack of proactivity.

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
7,370 1,194
I've suggested this many times before over 12 years, but maybe the answer is PAID mods on rota duty so someone is always reading the posts, though they would have to be very very sane to survive ! Also have anonymous mods, just simply labelled "moderator" and unidentified so they won't feel personally got at or criticized.
Problem solved.

Trader333

8,655 981
LM,

I am not sure why you are intent on the constant attacks and now implying that I am a liar. What I said was that I was not aware of who they were and I wasn't because it was not flagged by normal means of detection. You have also conveniently not read what I said and that was at the point where he claimed to be an employee of IG was the point where I knew something was fake and not before.

Your idea that I am somehow covering this up is laughable and pathetic as I have done an enormous amount behind the scenes to rid the boards of tons of this sort of stuff. You pick on one situation and have ignored all the others that were got rid of.

Like everyone else here, I am part time and have enough to do and don't have the time to be investigating every particular incident on the boards. I am also not a moderator and the best I could have done is report my suspicions when aware of them.

Lightning McQueen

4,935 788
LM,

I am not sure why you are intent on the constant attacks and now implying that I am a liar. What I said was that I was not aware of who they were and I wasn't because it was not flagged by normal means of detection. You have also conveniently not read what I said and that was at the point where he claimed to be an employee of IG was the point where I knew something was fake and not before.

Your idea that I am somehow covering this up is laughable and pathetic as I have done an enormous amount behind the scenes to rid the boards of tons of this sort of stuff. You pick on one situation and have ignored all the others that were got rid of.

Like everyone else here, I am part time and have enough to do and don't have the time to be investigating every particular incident on the boards.

I think you have missed the point, I have not said, or have meant to imply anything of the sort. all I'm implying is that you read a thread, and replied to a thread. there you must have seen a new member as your reply was right after his. his first post doesn't look like a new member style of posting to me. and as the tech mod isn't it your task to root out this kind of thing? you weren't at all curious? you would have checked him out if that's the case. then that would have been an end to it and lee's thread would not have been trolled

anyway I think it's the other way round, feels as I'm the one getting attacked here. what is wrong with being proactive? or suggesting being proactive, and why does everyone seem to beat around the bush when answers are sought? case in point this thread, I ask VielGeld about the guidelines he follows, the answer I get from him is what he thinks it should be rather than what it actually is :confused:

so why is the suggestion of being proactive ignored and shunned?, what rules are now in place that seems to require post reports to do something about rule breaking. previous guidelines for mods allowed the mod to act on sight, has this changed?

Lightning McQueen

4,935 788
here's a thread case in point, doubt there's any reports at all, yet you have a promo problem, or a potential problem at least depending how the rules are interpreted. any multinics in that thread?

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/educational-resources/152768-review-ftseday-com-16.html#post2106316

a new offshoot ftse trading room is started on march 21, 2013

the ftseday thread is bumped back from the grave on apr 2, 2013 with glowing praise of the mods who were in the old ftseday room.

then the posting starts dissing the original room, and ends with an absurd posting where the defender of ftseday gives his praise and naming the new room run by the old mods.

was anybody following that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock