Another Thread Closed!

You're missing the dynamics. The individual who regularly attempts to disrupt threads does so for the attention. Therefore, he will continue to hammer away until he gets it. If those whose attention he seeks try to "ignore" him, he doubles and redoubles his efforts until he gets a reaction, even to the extent of using caps, ever-larger fonts, color(s), etc. At some point, whoever is trying to carry on a substantive discussion no longer sees the point of the effort and withdraws.

Theoretically, your suggestion makes sense. Practically, it has never worked.

Db

I think you've hit the nail on the head for me here - most of the posts I've read where there has been abuse between members there's always been a common element - and that is socrates. The posters who are trading insults at socco are perfectly behaved on other threads.

I've only had a brief encounter with socco - and on his first post I found his comments quite insulting, he unsuccessfully tries to hide his insults with elaborate English, not refering to the person he is insulting by name, but it doesn't take a genious to read between the lines. Had he not demonstrated his total lack of trading ability in the vanilla options thread I might have granted him a little leeway.

I don't think there is anything the moderators can do here, I don't think we should ban him - I'm sure there are some people who want to read his posts - however I suggest those of us who are tired of the attention seeking simply do not bother to participate in his threads/post - no matter how insulting or ridiculous they may look.

Let us see if you and I can have a discussion between us without being interrrrupted.

Socrates, I will send my reply to you via PM. The decision to copy and post it here is entirely at your discretion. This thread has unfortunately, although not unexpectedly, taken a direction I had never intended.

The main thing with taking someone to task, as is the case with Soco; and will happen in every single thread he starts is the simple thing of being 'found out'

As I have said before, I like a lot of what soc says. People now read his posts because they like and enjoy the controversy that his posts encourage.

But. I will say that he was caught out big time with his options thread. It started out with him proving he was right... or so we thought. Very likely he was. In the beginning in any case.

But... There are a few people on here who could 'see' his 'trades' going through because they have the Liffe screen and they actually trade options themselves. I don't have it anymore because I haven't traded options for a number of years. Case being that the Liffe screen is the only place where these trades would have gone through.

He has never answered any questions as to why his trades did not appear on the 'screen'.
In fact he has never answered any pertinent questions regarding his trading full stop.
Instead he berates the accuser in large 'pink' tainted letters and accuses 99.9% of the people on here as being morons.

He could have used the route of sb's or binaries, but this is not what socs would have done, as he himself says; he is old school, and these are mickey mouse vehicles.

Soc always has an answer: But it is never the one to your question:

General Observation

Its funny how on a site like this two long-serving members can never come into contact with each other.

For example, i don't think I've ever come into contact with the notorious Socrates in any threads I've been involved in etc. I don't recall having read any/many of socrates posts either. Therefore I'm oblivious to all the fuss that surrounds Socrates............:)

The same can be said about a few other long serving members who's path I have yet to cross :| .

General Observation

Its funny how on a site like this two long-serving members can never come into contact with each other.

For example, i don't think I've ever come into contact with the notorious Socrates in any threads I've been involved in etc.

The same can be said about a few other long serving members who's path I have yet to cross :| .

Some members go out of their way to find Socrates :idea:

The main thing with taking someone to task, as is the case with Soco; and will happen in every single thread he starts is the simple thing of being 'found out'

As I have said before, I like a lot of what soc says. People now read his posts because they like and enjoy the controversy that his posts encourage.

But. I will say that he was caught out big time with his options thread. It started out with him proving he was right... or so we thought. Very likely he was. In the beginning in any case.

But... There are a few people on here who could 'see' his 'trades' going through because they have the Liffe screen and they actually trade options themselves. I don't have it anymore because I haven't traded options for a number of years. Case being that the Liffe screen is the only place where these trades would have gone through.

He has never answered any questions as to why his trades did not appear on the 'screen'.
In fact he has never answered any pertinent questions regarding his trading full stop.
Instead he berates the accuser in large 'pink' tainted letters and accuses 99.9% of the people on here as being morons.

He could have used the route of sb's or binaries, but this is not what socs would have done, as he himself says; he is old school, and these are mickey mouse vehicles.

Soc always has an answer: But it is never the one to your question:

Options,

This is the reason why threads get derailed. There was another thread specifically created for the Plain Vanilla issues. Why then, does THAT subject keep appearing in threads that have nothing to do with options trading? Why does SOCRATES keep getting blamed for derailing threads? Seriously...why?

Lest my earlier posts get lumped in to the "all pile on Socrates" bandwagon that seems to have taken off here, I would like to state for the record that I have never had any problem with him or anyone else on this board myself - at least that I can recall. My comments were all general in nature and intended to be applicable to anyone who opts to be a distraction of the sort we've been discussing. I have not been all that active here in recent months, so I don't know what's been happening of late, but I do know that Socs isn't the only high profile member who's run afoul of the mods over the years, and I'm sure there are a number of lower profile one's who have proven a nuisance as well.

Last edited:
Lest my earlier posts get lumped in to the "all pile on Socrates" bandwagon that seems to have taken off here, I would like to state for the record that I have never had any problem with him or anyone else on this board myself - at least that I can recall. My comments were all general in nature and intended to be applicable to anyone who opts to be a distraction of the sort we've been discussing. I have not been all that active here in recent months, so I don't know what's been happening of late, but I do know that Socs isn't the only high profile member who's run afoul of the mods over the years, and I'm sure there are a number of lower profile one's who have proven a nuisance as well.

Here is the link
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=17926&highlight=banned+members

Options,

This is the reason why threads get derailed. There was another thread specifically created for the Plain Vanilla issues. Why then, does THAT subject keep appearing in threads that have nothing to do with options trading? Why does SOCRATES keep getting blamed for derailing threads? Seriously...why?

SHORT ANSWER SON:

HE HAS NOT ANSWERED ANY QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO HIS ACTIVITIES.

Why does SOCRATES keep getting blamed for derailing threads? Seriously...why?

Because of all the threads he's derailed. You're new. You don't know the history. And since there's been so much editing and so many deletions, reconstruction is impossible, though anyone who'd even care to try has way too much time on his hands.

You happen to think he's great, and that's just fine. What is it to anyone else? And if he'd stop hijacking threads simply for the sake of instigating fights, then peace would reign in Happy Valley. But he can't stop. So there you are.

Here is the link:~

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=23221

To all the posters on this thread and all the lurkers and visitors and all the other contributors please read the first four pages of my thread PLAIN VANILLA first.

Read these first four pages CAREFULLY AND ATTENTIVELY.

When you do this you will really discover who the real detractors, decievers, derailers and persistent bullies are in reality and then tomorrow we can discuss this further:~ why they do it, what is their hidden agenda, what in fact is the the real mob agenda and why attempts are being made to hide this from you.

You have to do this FIRST before you can have any opinions whatsoever, so first just do it and then come back and we will discuss it.

dbphoenix vbmenu_register("postmenu_341609", true);
Legendary Member

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader
Why does SOCRATES keep getting blamed for derailing threads? Seriously...why?

Because of all the threads he's derailed. You're new. You don't know the history. And since there's been so much editing and so many deletions, reconstruction is impossible, though anyone who'd even care to try has way too much time on his hands.

You happen to think he's great, and that's just fine. What is it to anyone else? And if he'd stop hijacking threads simply for the sake of instigating fights, then peace would reign in Happy Valley. But he can't stop. So there you are.
user_offline.gif
vbrep_register("341609")

TRUTH WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL OVER DECEPTION AND LIES, YOU WILL SEE.

Here is the link:~

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=23221

To all the posters on this thread and all the lurkers and visitors and all the other contributors please read the first four pages of my thread PLAIN VANILLA first.

Read these first four pages CAREFULLY AND ATTENTIVELY.

When you do this you will really discover who the real detractors, decievers, derailers and persistent bullies are in reality and then tomorrow we can discuss this further:~ why they do it, what is their hidden agenda, what in fact is the the real mob agenda and why attempts are being made to hide this from you.

You have to do this FIRST before you can have any opinions whatsoever, so first just do it and then come back and we will discuss it.

Or one could examine all the threads you've hijacked, Albert. So what?

Stop playing Poor Lil Ol' Me, Albert, and behave like a grown-up.

Or one could examine all the threads you've hijacked, Albert. So what?

Stop playing Poor Lil Ol' Me, Albert, and behave like a grown-up.

Yes....we are going to find out who the bullies really are aren't we ?

All in good time we are going to see who behaves like a grown up and who behaves like a brat, aren't we ?

And the 70,000 members will clearly find out at last.

And Barjon, since you are looking, please do not close this thread so that the members and visitors can finally see who the bullies really are.

All in good time we are going to see who behaves like a grown up and who behaves like a brat, aren't we ?

All the questions that were asked on that thread were perfectly reasonable...you chose as usual not to answer any of them....where is the evidence that these trades took place eh....where?

For those who care:

do a search, for starters, using "socrates" and "dunce".

And don't forget "dunces" . . .

Have fun! :)

The first 40 pages...

So, you kick it off Socrates by saying EVERYONES STUPID...

It is time to put an end to all the nonsense.

This thread is dedicated to the topic of writing plain vanilla options on the FTSE 100 INDEX, and logging of results, in series.

The number crunch having been completed this evening, on Thursday 25th January I shall write the following naked options:~

_______

With no initiation for 'detractors' you START IT with...

Is this enough notice for you ducatti ?

I am even willing to take bets at even money except in the case of Profitaker

_______

Then ahhh... PEOPLE BEING NICE...

Socrates, you amaze me! This must be the first time that I have ever seen you stick your neck out. Makes me decidedly suspicious but warms me towards you, somewhat, provided that there is no hidden trap for little sparrows.

Personally, I am quite sure that you are right, for reasons that I have, already, expressed i.e writing is the name of the option game, but naked on the index is a move that I would not have expected from you.

I would not do it for the risk argument but I wish you luck and the odds are that you will win.

and...............

At last!!

I think you will earn more kudos for this than for anything else.

Go for it Socrates, and best of luck.

EDIT: I vote a big fat W

_______

Profitaker has DOUBTS....

I think somebody needs to look up the word "guarantee" in the english dictionary before it's used in the context of writing naked puts. The statement is categorically wrong !

________

and dashing blade asks a very reasonable question...

But there is no guarantee that at no point during the trade there will be a notional loss.
Would be helpful if you also posted the margin requirement.

_________

Oh look, more PRAISE...

W !!!
Good on you, Socrates ;-)
Richard

_________

Then one of your group step up and INSULT ALL by saying T2W is not worthy...

Originally Posted by CYOF
And Socrates, please do not show them how to hedge correctly, for they do not deserve it, and that edge is indeed only kept for another place - you know what I mean of course.
Socrates staed in his first post that "This thread is dedicated to the topic of writing plain vanilla options on the FTSE 100 INDEX, and logging of results, in series."

A dashing blade just confirms for all....

So, to my mind that means no hedging. This is a plain vanilla write unless Socrates says different.

Followed by you, having a POP AT those you blame who have hardly said a word in the thread...

Yes......you watch.......there is no such thing as luck in trading,......... but there is know how and nerve........all this just to show ducatti and profitaker and any other detractor who dares to pop his head above the parapet to me for that matter.....lets rock and roll....let me have your vote asap...also thanks for your good wishes....and since you wish me well I advise you not to bet against me..... ....incidentally the Thursday trade as announced last night is still on.

Oh and of course, you are better than everyone else....

And don't be rude and personal to your elders and betters while you are at it.

Which ones, no one has said anything yet?!

Yes exactly. Watch me proceed to wipe the floor with my detractors...

**** me, more PRAISE....

W

Good luck Socrates.

paulf

Profittaker asks/suggest something regarding CYOF earlier comment....

Originally Posted by Profitaker
Hedging "from the off" with short futures has the effect of turning the position into a short straddle. Short Puts + Short Futures = Short Straddle.

and.... CYOF starts with the abuse...

Aha, and did you cast your vote yet Wizard of ODDS -let me check?

And what about my post#411 - is that now gone by the wayside?

Socrates, remember "happy are those who have not seen yet believe".

If you keep this up we will have to call you -SOCRAMIDAS

And not one bit of Buying - hmm, makes you THINK, NO

_________

Another supportive post....

Socrates,

Nice thread - good to see a philosopher also happy to demonstrate practicalities By the way, my vote is unequivocally W, but only in the sense of it being the lesser of two evils. To my mind buying options is a mugs game, but writing them is only marginally less so if done in small scale. A bit like offering insurance policies really - all very well if you're Norwich Union, less sensible if you're doing it yourself for the neighbours in your street.

Assuming these are unhedged, I can see a range of scenarios that pushes FTSE down 3% plus your premium between now and June 15th... They may be unlikely, but 'guaranteed' not to happen? Hmmm. I wouldn't be buying your puts... but I wouldn't be selling them either. Just can't see the risk/reward stacks up.

So there you are Soc. I read the first few pages and looks like you were already knocking your pint over on purpose and looking for someone to blame it on....

If people cannot see who initiates the arguments, your all blind, blind I tell ya!

Now, excuse me as I have trading to do! :D