Why is life suddenly so cheap?

grubs50

sorry -not sure what you mean

he played a cat and mouse game - basically saying i aint got it - have a look - but then not letting them look - all his actions indicated he had it - and he had to appear to have it to control his people and neighbours - but of course he didnt say it outright

but his own generals have reported that they were told it would be used and was going to be used in the war - and that loony pr guy they had basically intimated it twice - once as the troops were on their way to bagdad and again over the airport

thats how bullies operate

I don't think life is cheap.It must be several thousands for a Kidney or an Eye.Now that face transplants are looking more likely,how long before the parents of a pretty third-world child sell its face?

Life cheap 2 day?

I have been watching the TV programmes on WW1.. Fascinating real cine footage of the Battles of the Somme, Verdun etc.. In the last 1918 Greman offensive, the German army lost over 1 million dead in some 6 weeks! French and German losses in the earlier battles were often of the order of 10,000s per day!

Now we complain when 100 soldiers are killed in Iraq..

No life is not cheap today.. we do not spend it as recklessly as we did then as WE have more to lose.

Suicide bombers feel they have little to lose and lots to gain by fighting what they see as a just war to gain certain ends. So life for them is cheap.. whether their friends and relations agree with that view is perhaps more difficult to judge.

Now what if you have millions of people who do not FEAR DEATH, I know life as i am living it is what it is to me, I know that I am aware of my thinking, therefore i am.
heres an exercise sheet of paper number 1-20 ask yourself 20 times 'WhaT am I "

see what answers you come up with, be honest, just what comes to your mind.

you can't compare the statistics of one major war with what is happening in our daily life in different situations. People are putting their lives on the line 4 next to nothing, taking peoples lives without great regard for the consequence and this is now part of our daily life.................i think there is a big difference in both scenarios........think of the number of students that have gone on shooting rampages (in schools/colleges)in the past few years or road rage incidents that have ended up in killings, ideological killings,etc

"you can't compare the statistics of one major war with what is happening in our daily life in different situations. "

I can and have:)

Seriously life is NOT regarded cheaply...

"think of the number of students that have gone on shooting rampages (in schools/colleges)in the past few years or road rage incidents that have ended up in killings, ideological killings,etc"

not in the UK. Maybe in the US - yes.. but they have a gun thing there.. and always people with guns let idiots aquire guns and some idiots can't or won't control their use. We have had the Hungerford massacre and little else.
The US has always had several nutters massacring people for the past 200 years.. How may Presidents have been shot? Reagan, Kennedy, in recent history.. How many PMs have been shot? Well Spencer Percival was assasinated in the early 1820s (give or take 10 years)..

How many suicide bombers in the UK so far? None thank goodness..

Road rage killings and a lot of drug related killings but the numbers are realtivley very small. Not wishing to be complacent but imo life is NOT regarded cheaply by most Brits or most Europeans or most Americans..

There are other countries in the world besides US and UK cos i was referring to the world as a whole. Read your local newspaper and you would read about so many 'senseless' killings that don't even make it into the national media esp old age pensioners.

grubs50 said:
A lot of the worst cases in the third world don't even get reported despite better communications . IMO, i don't think the developed world has been this bad in terms of total disregard for life.

well, i've got all of last weeks Trinidad Guardians in front of me and here are some of the headlines (note: Trinidad & Tobago has a population of only 1.5 million or so)

monday: "Man Hangs 2 Year Old Son, Commits Suicide"

thursday: "Murder Most Brutal" (baby chopped to death)

friday: "Bomb Threat Shuts Down Piarco (that's the airport) and also "Businessman's Son Kidnapped" (for ransom)

yesterday's headline: "Teenager Raped In San Fernando Night Club" (this was a gangrape by 8 guys on a 17 year old gurl)

today's headline "Kidnap Victim Escapes!" :D

this kinda stuff goes on the world over, not just in 3rd world countries and developing countries like Trinidad blah

and as Trader333 states, it is being reported blah, i've read the full stories about the two Trini baby murders (which were unconnected btw, both babies were killed by their respective dads, the second one by accident, the guy was chopping his wife to death unaware that his baby son was lying across her breast)

so this stuff dies get reported, but usually it's confined to the local media

if yuor beef is that the Trinidad baby murders or whatever, are not being reported by mainstream sources like FOX/CNN/BBC/blah in the USA/UK/western world/blah, well, what do yuo expect? how can a news network cover every single murder/mugging/crime/blah that's going on in the world?

hell, FOX/CNN don't even cover all the murders/crime that occur in the USA, never mind 3rd world and developing countries blah. It's impossible from a pratical point of view. It would be like trying to read and absorb every single financial/company news story that's reported in any given day

U all seem to have misinterpreted me to suit your various positions.............all i am saying is that in our everyday life, there is a total disregard for life in the way people get killed for the most inauspicious reason and that the shock value of the result of these incidents has been greatly reduced cos they are now part of our daily life.

Lads/lasses

Read this if u r travelling to CA and intend to drive on a UK license!

As part of Scwarzie's crackdown on "illegal" immigrants in California apparently, u can now legally drive in CA on ANY foreign driving license only within 30 days of your arrival, not 3 or 6 months as it used to be all along. U will find NO advice on this change of law anywhere in the airports or on CA motorways.

I already know a cupl of Brits whose vehicle was "impounded" since after 30 days they had no license valid for CA and had to pay 400+ bucks for recovering the motor - plus the driver got a misdemeanor and now has to turn up in court.

Same was about to happen to me y'day when me and me g/f went to CA from Mexico again. However, if u SAY to the copper u r within 30 days from crossing the border, they HAVE to believe u. So - the msg The Grand State of Kahlifornia is giving out is quite simple - LIE..... :)

The case of the German cannibal (on all the News reports today) who advertised for victims (and a few ppl turned up, even one from England) further proves my point about life becoming so cheap. How can a normal person turn up to be killed and eaten by another person. And according to news reports, he was able to advertise for victims on Cannibal websites( how wierd!).
And he even videoed himself eating the eventual victim and yet some ppl still claim that life hasn't become very cheap!!!!

so on the basis of one report of 1 nutter we must believe evryone thinks life is cheap...

Now on the same logical basis , the Labour Party supports Saddam Hussein as George Galloway does...

It is a general observation of our everyday lives and not a political one even tho a lot of ppl seem to be tying my observation to d war in Iraq. the war is just one of many examples and no loss of life is insignificant in my humble opinion, no matter the circumstances!

lads a 3rd opinion if I may call it that way. I am currently in Mexico, went for 2 weeks on hols back in July, still here :) u know what every1 tells me here? "why did u lads have to go fight in iraq when women round r so foxy, tequila is so strong, salsa is so hot and the ocean is so blue?" LIFE IS STILL VERY PRECIOUS and will always be IMHO just because thez so much to enjoy in it. It is just us plonkers that make it sh*t. My opinion of coz.

170+ killed in Madrid Bombings
Another example of how life is now so cheap.............How would killing so many innocent people help resolve a cause? Messrs Bush and Blair must be satisfied with the results of their war against terrorism........it has made the world very safe indeed!!

WMD?

strange how fixation with WMD still goes on.

IRA used bombs and bullets - available OTC realtively speaking
Ditto Al Quaeda
Ditto Basques

So although WMD are a threat, real danger is current arms and explosives.. oops sorry I forgot who are the major manufacturers.. US,UK, France, Eastern bloc..

That's OK then:-(

Quote:
IRA used bombs and bullets - available OTC relatively speaking

Yea - and who funded the IRA? good old usa citizens. So much for their hatred of terrorism.

Lets not forget Nelson Mandela. Wasn't he found guilty of blowing up a train - TERRORIST!

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

Is there right and wrong, or are there just different sides of the fence?

I read something like 3000 people died in the Twin Towers. 12000 children die each day in the 3rd world from starvation and curable disease. Thats 4 twin towers EVERY DAY of children. Needless deaths. Don't get me wrong, I'm no red, but it makes me think how sick we are becoming when we make such a fuss over 9/11 when worse is happening every day due to the greed and selfishness of a corporates, governments, you and me.

I found the film "Bowling For Columbine" gave some very interesting insights into the mindset of the average American and the climate of fear that 24/7 multi-channel news coverage generates.