Why is life suddenly so cheap?

grubs50

408 0
Blair, genuine? wow!!! personally i think he is a big time glory hunter who is trying to pre-empt his place in history. He had the opportunity to become a great PM but has blown it IMO. I voted for him cos i believed in his sincerity but he has now succeeded in putting me off voting forever.
Coming back to the original topic, i think the various media of communication have also contributed to making life seem so cheap with their utterances in their quest to have the biggest impact. Even the great 'internet' (which has served me and other people so well) has been a source devaluing life........a typical example is a website said to be promoting (and giving tips on) sucide (as reported on BBC radio 5 live over the weekend)....how low can people get?

neil

Legendary member
5,167 747
Stevet
repeating yourself is a sign of advancing age !
:D

Yes - I fear houses prices to revert to some sort of mean or fall as the owners creak under the strain of paying off their debt.

The trick is to get out before you are swept along by crashing prices. Some trick.

trader 333.

We are not engulfed by one parent families, who could not afford to buy in any case. Biggest problem is 2nd home owners and retirees causing a local market to become National but without the accompanying increase in wages .

I've seen these property market frenzied feeding spectacles in the past. When the party stops every one concerned steps off except the houseowner.

The sharks move on.

grubs50

408 0
here we go again, 4 bombings in Turkey, good money making opportunity (going short) but same old story............lives been taken away cheaply

stevet

Established member
917 5
grubs50

well, there you go - there was as much chance of me voting labour as i dont know what - and i was convinced all the blair chat before he came in was just a cover up and once in - it would just revert to the old labour ways of destroying capital and enterprise

but here we are years later - with one of the best and most respected leaders in the world and considering our base - one of the best economies - pity we are covering up unemployment by massaging the numbers with public expenditure - but there you go - some labour stuff is hard to eradicate

people dont remember or want to remember what a toilet this country used to be and how far we have come on

stevet

Established member
917 5
neil

yep - you are right about advancing age - another sign is hanging out at the latest london night spots - but in this case - its more to do i think with T2W - seem to be some access probs

house prices will drop below mean at first -- but could take 10 or 20 years to revert to mean - same for the stock market - cant be long before the dow hits 5000 and stays there for 10/20 as well

grubs50

408 0
I am not saying all Blair's policies are bad but my major prob is with his decision to join Bush's war under false pretence and his seeming inability to admit it was a mistake. he is probably the only person that still believes that weapons of mass destruction would be found in Iraq.

stevet

Established member
917 5
grubs50

it was saddam who made it clear by his actions that he had WMD - he even threatened to use them on the troops and told his own generals they woudl be used - his own people were waitng for him to use them

this is the guy and who up and invaded kuwait - if he acted as if he had WMD and says he has WMD and would use WMD - i would believe him - wouldn't you?

the fact he and his lot were so inept that they probably forgot where they put it or killed all those who knew for secrecy - but forgot one person should know -is neither here nor there

grubs50

408 0
where do you get all your info from, Stevet?.....how can he admit having WMD's when he had UN inspectors in his country. you should learn to back your arguments up with logical facts.

stevet

Established member
917 5
grubs50

sorry -not sure what you mean

he played a cat and mouse game - basically saying i aint got it - have a look - but then not letting them look - all his actions indicated he had it - and he had to appear to have it to control his people and neighbours - but of course he didnt say it outright

but his own generals have reported that they were told it would be used and was going to be used in the war - and that loony pr guy they had basically intimated it twice - once as the troops were on their way to bagdad and again over the airport

thats how bullies operate

jonnyy40

Experienced member
1,329 11
I don't think life is cheap.It must be several thousands for a Kidney or an Eye.Now that face transplants are looking more likely,how long before the parents of a pretty third-world child sell its face?

madasafish

470 5
Life cheap 2 day?

I have been watching the TV programmes on WW1.. Fascinating real cine footage of the Battles of the Somme, Verdun etc.. In the last 1918 Greman offensive, the German army lost over 1 million dead in some 6 weeks! French and German losses in the earlier battles were often of the order of 10,000s per day!

Now we complain when 100 soldiers are killed in Iraq..

No life is not cheap today.. we do not spend it as recklessly as we did then as WE have more to lose.

Suicide bombers feel they have little to lose and lots to gain by fighting what they see as a just war to gain certain ends. So life for them is cheap.. whether their friends and relations agree with that view is perhaps more difficult to judge.

jsd

232 3
Now what if you have millions of people who do not FEAR DEATH, I know life as i am living it is what it is to me, I know that I am aware of my thinking, therefore i am.
heres an exercise sheet of paper number 1-20 ask yourself 20 times 'WhaT am I "

see what answers you come up with, be honest, just what comes to your mind.

grubs50

408 0
you can't compare the statistics of one major war with what is happening in our daily life in different situations. People are putting their lives on the line 4 next to nothing, taking peoples lives without great regard for the consequence and this is now part of our daily life.................i think there is a big difference in both scenarios........think of the number of students that have gone on shooting rampages (in schools/colleges)in the past few years or road rage incidents that have ended up in killings, ideological killings,etc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock