8,613 939
stevet,

It was a purely mathmatical statement I was making ie
99% = 1 in 100,
99.9% = 1 in 1000
99.99% = 1 in 10,000

So to quote your figure of:
99.999999999999999999% = 1 in 100000000000000000000

As we only have 6 Billion people on the planet your quoted percent just happens to be 16 Billion times more than the entire population of the planet.

In fact if you had said that only 1 brain cell on the entire planet is bad you would have been more accurate than quoting the above percentage. (I know am I am just splitting hairs and I know where you were coming from)

Paul

oatman

2,879 22
I think integration and common identity are inevitable but I don't want to be pushed/rushed towards it because it suits a political ambition.

stevet

Established member
917 5
Trader333

you know i rely on you for this maths stuff

but u lost me a bit on this one

"As we only have 6 Billion people on the planet your quoted percent just happens to be 16 Billion times more than the entire population of the planet. "

dont you mean multiplying the real number of bad people to arrive at the number of good people would mean that there were 16 billion times the world population of good people

and if so, where did you get your figure for bad people

and i can see that you have not added in the poplulations of the other dimensions, running paralell to our own - which of course, if your underlying bad people number is correct, i was adding into my own calculation

other dimensions - by a strange quirk based on physical laws of the universe- dont support bad life forms - they are all goody two shoes over there

neil

Legendary member
5,167 747
I like JSD's point of "Americanisation or Greed is good."
Many years ago I was surprised to be told by an American tourist that in the US most couples worked whereas in the UK it was the man who was breadwinner.

Today most UK couples have to work or work to grasp more goodies.

Is this why UK people bugger off to France etc for "quality of life" purposes. To avoid Americanisation ( The French soon told US firms what they thought of US attempts to interfere with the "Lunch Break").

We seem to have less time for each other whilst keeping the treadmill going, and it saddens me to see young couples unable to buy their first home, or forced to leave their county etc.

Once upon a time home prices were linked to local economics (wages etc). Now with the advent of second homes and retiree movement, that economic regulator has been broken. Even the French are beginning to protest at the number of second home owners and rising property prices.

No prizes for guessing which country will try to do something about house prices first.

In Cornwall I am aware of a growing feeling of being crowded in as greenfields are turned into housing. There are not the jobs to support the number of houses, nor can many locals afford them.

Retirees and second home owners maybe?

Go to Mousehole or Fowey or many other seaside towns and you will find them almost deserted due to the high number of second homes.

I have my property, I was born here but worked away for many years. But the feeling of being stifled by the encroaching estates and subsequent loss of countryside makes one look at France and its' open spaces and greater sense of community.

Now crime has always been with us. Consider the iron anti strangulation collars worn by persons out for a night in London town in the 18th century. The media reports more, it's not necessarily true that there is more serious crime but maybe true that anti social behaviour ( Drunkeness, damage to property, noise, general loutish behaviour) has increased.

Consideration for other people is on the decrease and the family unit is not given the support or recognition it deserves. The newspapers report dysfunctional people, families and general yobbery because it makes news. People doing good works or happy families are not what sell newspapers or get the voyeurs to sit in front of the box.

Maybe it is because I am older that I think thus, perhaps it's an over fifties male mid life thing?

Apologies for the rant.

I feel better now.

Last edited:

jamus

46 0
Grubs is right, more and more people are becoming more and more desensitized to violence. What could have shocked us a few years ago, now seems like an everyday occurence. Even though atrocities have always been committed, I mean you only have to look at the world wars in the 20th Century, what is different this time is that the cancer of terrorism has no end in sight. There wont be a treaty of versailles or an official silencing of the guns. There will be people out there who have no respect for human life and distorted beliefs who will promote carnage everywhere else. I can honestly say the world at large is a less safer place than before and this current campaign against terror will define our lives for many years to come. And that is a freigtening prospect!

stevet

Established member
917 5
neil

america has historically led the world in freedoms for the individual - is it americanism that has caused capitolism or is it freedom sweeping the world that gives people a shot at capitalism

i once went to work in paris, and after a few months of fitting into the french way, set up an appointment at 9.00, but turn up at 11.00, then go out for a coffee and then make your way to a nice restaurant for a nice long wine fueled lunch and then maybe pop back to the office to catch up on your friends before organising dinner

it was great for a while - but i got a real fear of what kept the whole system going - and everyones attitude that they want but why should they work for it

and i promise you that system is falling apart - dont worry about second homes and all that - we are at the start of a huge down turn cycle for europe

america will not be able to bail europe out - nor have the inclanation to do it - the US and the US people have had a huge wake up call about how people think about them in europe - and thats gonna affect stuff for a long time and at exactly the wrong time in europes economic cycle

Trader333

8,613 939
stevet,

I forgot about parallel universes,

Neil,

We live in a market economy and that is what is driving house prices. An attempt to buck markets has been proven to always ultimately fail. The reason you are being encrouched by new housing estates is that we live on an Island with a relatively large population and there is a massive increae in 1 parent families and they need to be housed. If you compare the number of people per square KM with that of France then the UK is very much higher.

Paul

neil

Legendary member
5,167 747
No - lots of houses but no wealth generation albeit big drain on infrastructure.

Stevet...big down turn. Would this reduce House prices in France/UK ?

And

If Europe crashed surely that would effect the USA who export to Europe?

I see we have moved away from crime :)

Kilnside

92 0
Neil

It would have an impact on everyone including the US. However I understand the trade balance is strongly in EU favour ( 2:1?) - so incidentally go figure the outcome of a serious Trade War.

stevet

Established member
917 5
oatman

i definetly support the theory that most politicians are ego maniacs or crooks or both - but Blair seems to be a real guy to me - and i come from totaly distrusting him at first - purely as it was hard to believe that he believed what he was saying -

but over time he has shown himself to probably be exactly what the ideal politician should be - level headed, even handed and genuine, direct and with a moral concious

stevet

Established member
917 5
neil

house prices on the whole in europe dont tend to do what they do in the UK

but anything which becomes an investment which is supported by the public will inevitably come crashing down

house price inflation is fueled by there being more buyers than sellers - but in this current case the underlying fuel is cheap money - and the use of estate agents who are able to pump up prices by - well - pumping up prices to gullible buyers - but the contiued pumping becomes a self fulifilling thing and prices move higher so everyone thinks they are on a winner

we talk about getting filled in trading on here and liquidity etc

houses are very very illiquid - it takes 3 months to complete a sale

house price values are tied to the interest rate - rate halves - prices double - rates double i prices......!!!!

the steam went out of the london market ages ago - that with full employment and the lowest interest rates

whats your guess about what will happen....!

either way property is screwed - either inflation will drive down property values or deflation will cause people to question why they should have a mortgage round their neck when they can rent more cheaply anyway

stevet

Established member
917 5
Mr Chill

yep - thats what stopped the troubles in ireland - they came up with amazing tax perks which caused international companies to set up their european bases there - they trained up the kids - the kids said - hang on - we want ferraris and swimming pools - screw fighting some egotistical old people's war - result - end of troubles - hopefully!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock