what other hobbies do you have?

eagletower

I assume most people will either trade for a living or as a hobbie that hopefully makes them money, but out of curiosity what other interests do you have?

i am big fan of Remote control cars and planes. Unfortunatley due to the time required etc i haven't really flown r/c planes in a while, but have a few kyoshso remote control cars which get plenty of action!

yourselves?

Used to race radio control cars myself - Dad took me all over the country doing it when I was younger.

Now I swim, drink, play videogames, read, watch movies, play a little golf (pretty poorly) and intend to get back into martial arts again.

I have a full-time job but because I do shift work I actually have access to the market I trade for more than 75% of the trading hours (overall). Sometimes I have a full week of trading. I sometimes think it's no different to saying I am a full time trader with a part time job! I train at the gym most mornings and get home ready for the afternoon opening of the US market. I am also learning to play the piano.

Have you seen this video!
Extreme RC Helicopter Flying - MSN Video

Full time job, part time PhD and trading eats most of my life. Can I call "sleep" a hobby?

I have a full-time job but because I do shift work I actually have access to the market I trade for more than 75% of the trading hours (overall). Sometimes I have a full week of trading. I sometimes think it's no different to saying I am a full time trader with a part time job! I train at the gym most mornings and get home ready for the afternoon opening of the US market. I am also learning to play the piano.

Have you seen this video!
Extreme RC Helicopter Flying - MSN Video

that is an amazing video, the guy controlling it must be nuts! must be a few grands worth of helicopter there and he's got it going all over the place!

my job is mainly desk based ( IT) and i find myself in the evenings more now in front of the PC watching the markets- i really need to join a gym as i have noticed the pounds start to pile on (unfortunatley the wrong type of pounds not £'s:D)

I think trading should come with a health warning- WARNING - you will spend more more time in front of your PC and put on weight.

Is it wise to consider trading as a hobby. 99% of hobbies lose people money.

Anyway, sports cars (I try not to think about depreciation or running costs!), climbing, martial arts (of course), complementary therapies, playing the piano.

I've been doing martial arts in some form or other for most of my life. In the last couple of years that has stopped happening and I really miss it - I get far more stressed and feel my joints ceasing up and muscles tighten. Not good! I'd like to do more than I do at the moment.
Also play guitar and sing, read alot, do some running and absolutely love cooking and stuff to do with food. You need to be active when you have that sort of hobby :whistling

martial arts (of course)

Which martial arts do you practice? Used to do ju-jitsu when I was younger. Tried taking it up again at university but found it difficult to drop old habits and relearn things they way they taught them.

Certainly want to take up martial arts again. Not sure whether to do jujitsu again or learn more about other martial arts and pick up a different one.

V,
did yu do WJJF, BJJA or Brazilian ?

I did WJJF 3 tmes a week in London and then used to go up to Liverpool HQ two weekends a month to study under Sensei Bob

Anyway, sports cars (I try not to think about depreciation or running costs!), climbing, martial arts (of course), complementary therapies, playing the piano.

and dating young hispanic boys from Staines ??? .........:cool:

good point! hobby/investement!

Climbing, i recently started myslef, joined the Castle Club on Green Lanes, North London if you know it. Heaps of fun and gives you a really good work out.

Used to do off-roading until my better half recently rolled and wrote-off the Land-Rover. Bad accident really as she spent a week in hospital but is ok now. Looking around for another motor to thrash.

I assume most people will either trade for a living or as a hobbie that hopefully makes them money, but out of curiosity what other interests do you have?

i am big fan of Remote control cars and planes. Unfortunatley due to the time required etc i haven't really flown r/c planes in a while, but have a few kyoshso remote control cars which get plenty of action!

yourselves?

Besides trading, coronation street, eastenders, home and away, neighbours, emmerdale, hollyoaks, doctors, big brother, x factor and sky sports news, i dont really have time for any hobbies.

Last edited:
Which martial arts do you practice? Used to do ju-jitsu when I was younger. Tried taking it up again at university but found it difficult to drop old habits and relearn things they way they taught them.

Certainly want to take up martial arts again. Not sure whether to do jujitsu again or learn more about other martial arts and pick up a different one.

I used to train with a mate who did kickboxing and karate from age about 12. Started doing Tai Chi, Hsing-I and Ba Gua age about 16. anyone who says Tai Chi is relaxing should meet my instructor! Swining his sword at my kneecaps and watching me jump over it, making sure my head remains the same height, thrusting a spear at my chest to ensure it's properly concave, making me stand in chi kung positions for hours with weights strapped to my wrists....:mad:
Then I did kung fu while at Uni, with a healthy dose of cross-training in Jeet Kune Do, Ju-Jitsu and Eskrima, and I've done them all ever since. Taught kung fu in London for a bit at someone else's classes, taught self defence in the gym at work for a while, taught Tai Chi in a hall in town for a bit, but that all ended a couple of years ago when baby came along and the mrs started working. Since then I might be able to convince people I've got into sumo :LOL:

I used to train with a mate who did kickboxing and karate from age about 12. Started doing Tai Chi, Hsing-I and Ba Gua age about 16. anyone who says Tai Chi is relaxing should meet my instructor! Swining his sword at my kneecaps and watching me jump over it, making sure my head remains the same height, thrusting a spear at my chest to ensure it's properly concave, making me stand in chi kung positions for hours with weights strapped to my wrists....:mad:
Then I did kung fu while at Uni, with a healthy dose of cross-training in Jeet Kune Do, Ju-Jitsu and Eskrima, and I've done them all ever since. Taught kung fu in London for a bit at someone else's classes, taught self defence in the gym at work for a while, taught Tai Chi in a hall in town for a bit, but that all ended a couple of years ago when baby came along and the mrs started working. Since then I might be able to convince people I've got into sumo :LOL:

If someone comes at you with a weapon, will your martial arts training help you?

I've read, heard etc. that martial arts are the wrong thing to do if you want to learn how to defend yourself. Martial arts are often offensive systems as opposed to defensive, and also they are often a sport in their own right. If you want to learn how to defend yourself, the best thing is to do a self defense class. I recently got a self defense book from the library - very interesting reading. Basically, punch/kick your attacker in the knackers, and get out of their like **** off a shovel!

I have never done a martial arts, but i used to watch taekwondo b4 volleyball training, and i do go to boxercise

Assuming that statement is true, the problem is in finding a decent self defence class. The stuff normally taught purely as self defence usually relies on your partner being gentle. And it's usually someone who "wouldn't hurt a fly" so when they do the practice attacks, you might as well have a buttercup thrown at you. Anyway, most martial arts were developed for the ancient battlefield so a knife doesn't compare to a kwan dao being inserted in your face.

Knife.jpg

vs

Kwan_Dao.jpg

Indeedy. My main focus is now tai chi chuan. When I can, I use kick pads in the classes so students get an idea of how to develop power in the movements. None of that tree hugging hippy crap here, thanks.