what other hobbies do you have?

you and i both, i always end up looking at the classifieds of any forum i join, and end up buying crap that i don't need, the latest gadget was a nixie clock that i was close to buying but stopped at the last minute. ( they are so cool)

you and i both, i always end up looking at the classifieds of any forum i join, and end up buying crap that i don't need, the latest gadget was a nixie clock that i was close to buying but stopped at the last minute. ( they are so cool)

Well, that's what i'm talking about!! Sure, martial arts "were" a hobby, but , after jiu jitsu, karate, judo, shootfighting and some kung fu /aikido, it occured to me fighting is kinda silly.
After a broken jaw, broken legs, broken ribs, fractured skull, dislocated hip&shoulder, fractured wrist, being shanked in the kidney, fractured eye socket, broken collar bone, it occured to me people who are "inclined"to fight are retarded.
Consequently, the genteel art of buying junk on ebay seems somewhat civil, for mine.

And you wouldn't beleive the bargains i have picked up, sure there were some failures, but-dang, well, no way could you pick up the stuff i got for the price.

Well, that's what i'm talking about!! Sure, martial arts "were" a hobby, but , after jiu jitsu, karate, judo, shootfighting and some kung fu /aikido, it occured to me fighting is kinda silly.
After a broken jaw, broken legs, broken ribs, fractured skull, dislocated hip&shoulder, fractured wrist, being shanked in the kidney, fractured eye socket, broken collar bone, it occured to me people who are "inclined"to fight are retarded.
Consequently, the genteel art of buying junk on ebay seems somewhat civil, for mine.

And you wouldn't beleive the bargains i have picked up, sure there were some failures, but-dang, well, no way could you pick up the stuff i got for the price.

i've never liked fighting ( simply because i can't and would get the cr*p kicked out of me) , i pay for most things on ebay by dreaded paypal- i hate the service but no choice, if i could buy shares in paypal i would :)

About are 2 years ago I was looking into martial arts to choose. I used to do a bit of judo, but now i do some kickboxing (might change a bit more to the thai side). But for self defence with knifes and guns etc. (and if your being pinned on the ground being punched), i think the MA to choose is krav maga (it was a long time ago i looked into this).
One of the classes i saw only focused of getting yourself out of "street fighting" situations.

Some of the stories i've heard are quick scary (street fighting matches).

If all else fails, poke the guy in the eye with your finger then leg it.

Eagle; i've been a bit worried about paypal after a certain chatlog was posted :)

hahaha :)
well i was refering to spanish89. Search the site for "detective" and you should find the thread i think.
also there's a site called Welcome to PayPalSucks.com, PayPal Lawsuit, PayPal Alternative, PayPal Complaints, Fraud & Evil behind the PayPal system! or something.

Back on topic: Hobbies: running, gym, football, webdesign (and a bit of the kickboxing occasionally). OH yeah, guitar.

Can any of you lot play instuments?

Clicking on the above link brings up this message on my av software:

"The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

IP Address: 69.64.89.67"

bargepoles etc etc.......

I like buying junk on ebay.............and drinking..........

:LOL: You know I have this thing where I buy junk on eBay, in charity shops etc, and then sell it on Amazon at a profit. It's usually books, which I am completely obsessed with. I started putting it all in an Excel spreadsheet a while back, and I've made about £400 profit in the past year doing that.

Crack out the Bollinger? :cool:

All started when I realised I had more books than a man could read in his lifetime, and decided to sell them on Amazon. Taught me what has a price and what doesn't. I keep thinking of bidding for job-lots on eBay, but I reckon I might end up divorced if 1000 books arrived on the doorstep one day.........

Strange hobby....but it pays more than the trading! :LOL:

All started when I realised I had more books than a man could read in his lifetime, and decided to sell them on Amazon. Taught me what has a price and what doesn't. I keep thinking of bidding for job-lots on eBay, but I reckon I might end up divorced if 1000 books arrived on the doorstep one day.........

Strange hobby....but it pays more than the trading! :LOL:

i know the feeling certain things i wouldn't be able to sell, my books and Music collection. I could never sell my CDs or records means way too much to me. But everytime i pass a charity shop i can't help but stick my head in the record collection and always walk away with a few records.

I have recently started giving aways my DVDs, it annoys me that after buildinga fairly decent collection on DVD they have changed the format and i am quickly running out of space, and I just can't be bothered to start again in a new format .

i know the feeling certain things i wouldn't be able to sell, my books and Music collection. I could never sell my CDs or records means way too much to me.

This is a problem also - It required a great deal of ruthlessness and discipline. I got rid of some CD's too, and i'm very attached to my music collection. But on the other hand, I used to have a friend who worked in a Cash Converters store, and used to keep anything related to my musical tastes for me, so I had masses and masses of CD's that I had never listened to, that were in my favouired genre, but not exactly the sort of thing I like. I sold some, but I still have more than I can comfortably store and cannot part with them.
So it's mostly books, which I do buy more of every time I pass a charity shop - but now I only buy the ones I can sell on at a profit - so it fulfills my need to purchase loads of books, but stops my bookshelf being filled :)

Reactions: BSD
it' does get ridiculous, i have 3 copies of the Dark Side of the Moon - one on CD, 2 on Vinyl - 1 which i keep wrapped up, 1 i listen to.
I've lost count of the number of Doors albums i have.

I also have the "Top Gun" sound track on record, CD and minidisc :eek:

it' does get ridiculous, i have 3 copies of the Dark Side of the Moon - one on CD, 2 on Vinyl - 1 which i keep wrapped up, 1 i listen to.
I've lost count of the number of Doors albums i have.

I also have the "Top Gun" sound track on record, CD and minidisc :eek:

Go and stand in the corner! :cool:

Don't watch enough of it to be the judge. I assume that most martial artists would roll with a punch ( I do!), and limit the damage, since they would usually be laying down. Boxers, however, maintain a rigid posture and neck because they are stood up. I reckon the MMA damage would be more painful immediately, but they would recover more quickly, whereas boxing can lead to more permanent damage owing to the 100's of punches being taken with a rigid posture. Look at Ali.... or James Toney nowadays. Gerald McLellan, Michael Watson, Paul Ingle....the list goes on. Those MMA guys would probably not end up like that, but may well have a slight limp/frozen shoulder/gammy elbow from joint damage etc.
Horses for courses......

I know Paul Ingle well, I remember my dad telling me he was worried about him going in the ring when his last fight happened. Paul was over weight before the fight and went on an intensive 2 day diet to get him weighed in ok. Unfortunalty his body was weakened by that decision. My father has always regretted not kicking up more of a fuss at the time, but he didnt have the final say in the matter.

As for MMA, I dont rate that much.Its far too tidy. Keysi is based in Hull round the corner from me, again dont like it. I used to train at Andy Normans' (co-founder of Keysi) gym in Brough as it happens. Got private lessons twice a week there during my youth. Mainly sparring. Andy is a hard bast***d. I remember him giving me a detailed explanation on how to create super strong bones. He used to go round the world stick fighting in tournaments where people would die and had arms so tough you could feel very small 'lumps' on the bones that he said was through conditioning. A walking weapon in the truest sense.

Wing Chun is something I find fascinating, especially watching my friend on a wall bag. Tommy Carruthers who did Wing Tsun, and developed his own JKD style is seen as better than Bruce Lee was. His punches hit faster and harder than bullets!

Oh yeah. I love rock climbing, got into it in january. Hot chicks are there every time I go. Most excellent.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I love rock climbing, got into it in january. Hot chicks are there every time I go. Most excellent.

The problem comes when they can climb harder than you. Not so useful for pulling if you're climbing 6a top ropes and they're doing 7c leads.

Yes, its funny. Looking cool has to go out the window when your a noob. But on the other hand theres all these friendly females there to offer you advice :) Generally though, there are pretty decent people who do rock climbing, its a good sport that really tests you mentally, which is what I love most about it.

Yep, I love the social aspect, too. Bouldering's the best bit cos you can talk to anyone there about the problems* and they're usually friendly.

*-bouldering problems, not personal, medical or trading problems.