what other hobbies do you have?

If someone comes at you with a weapon, will your martial arts training help you?

Depends how proficient you are and how you apply what you've learnt. Most people I used to train with would apply what they'd learnt so rigidly that the slightest variation in the attack would confuse them.

One of my favourite exercises is when one person gets attacked, one after another, by the rest of the class. They don't know what attack each attacker is going to use. Usually people could deal with a roundhouse punch, straight punch, roundhouse kick etc. when it was performed in the way they'd been taught to do it - as soon as you tried anything slightly unusual they'd be unable to defend themselves and would take the blow. Most people weren't adaptable enough and wouldn't fare well in a "real life" encounter.

I was never particularly good at adapting, wasn't particularly bad either.

When you reach a high level though, as ninja has already suggested, a knife isn't going to worry you at all.

If someone comes at you with a weapon, will your martial arts training help you?

I've read, heard etc. that martial arts are the wrong thing to do if you want to learn how to defend yourself. Martial arts are often offensive systems as opposed to defensive, and also they are often a sport in their own right. If you want to learn how to defend yourself, the best thing is to do a self defense class. I recently got a self defense book from the library - very interesting reading. Basically, punch/kick your attacker in the knackers, and get out of their like **** off a shovel!

I have never done a martial arts, but i used to watch taekwondo b4 volleyball training, and i do go to boxercise

Depends on what you do really. The kung fu I learned was very traditional, but also very self-defence based. Everything we did in forms had to work in practice. But yes, alot of classes are sport-based, although most systems can be taught either as sport or self-defence. When I teach self defence, it's pretty much a case of learning how to survive when attacked - i.e. by out-violencing the violent attacker. My classes generated many complaints about the violent techniques I taught, but people who have been to my/our classes and been attacked have got out without injury - regardless of whether they damage the opponent or not. And yes, I teach people to rip, gouge, tear, pull, twist, prod, stab and poke - not a single punch! I also teach the first rule, which is avoidance: ie make sure you aren't out alone in dodgy areas, and you get a lift if you can etc, you cross the street if you see trouble, and don't broadcast what you know. That's normally enough to save your bacon.
As far as weapons goes, it's a funny one. The average hooligan attacking you with a weapon is actually pretty good if you are trained - since you know they will attack you with the weapon - they are using it to intimidate you. However, if someone skilled attacked you with a weapon, you probably wouldn't know too much about what happened - you'd see the knife when it is in you. but then again, if it was someone that good, then you have probably got yourself in deep, deep trouble, which is bad self-defence :p If someone attacks you and fails, then you are the winner, and that must be your goal.

So as far as learning martial arts to defend yourself goes, take it on a club-by-club basis - not even style by style. I've seen some appaling kung fu classes where people cannot fight, but then I've seen classes from systems renowned for not being applicable to self-defence full of double-hard b**t**ds who I would NOT mess with.

Then there's the rise of MMA - mixed martial arts, like Jeet Kune Do, Keysi, Vale Tudo, Pancrace, Krav Maga etc, which are quite simply applied violence. Go there to learn to defend yourself! But for some reason, the classical grounding in traditional MA will always help you out - studying your posture and getting grounded in the longer stances does wonders for the legs and the root, and helps in generating power. I always find people with a classical base do better in those systems for that reason.

Long answer - but that's my opinion.

WOW!

There you have it J - 3 simultaneous answers!

I've done a fair bit of eskrima where they do alot of knife defences - don't f**k with a knife-wielding Philippino would be my advice! :LOL:

Depends how proficient you are and how you apply what you've learnt. Most people I used to train with would apply what they'd learnt so rigidly that the slightest variation in the attack would confuse them.

One of my favourite exercises is when one person gets attacked, one after another, by the rest of the class. They don't know what attack each attacker is going to use. Usually people could deal with a roundhouse punch, straight punch, roundhouse kick etc. when it was performed in the way they'd been taught to do it - as soon as you tried anything slightly unusual they'd be unable to defend themselves and would take the blow. Most people weren't adaptable enough and wouldn't fare well in a "real life" encounter.

I was never particularly good at adapting, wasn't particularly bad either.

When you reach a high level though, as ninja has already suggested, a knife isn't going to worry you at all.

Thats my worry - someone comes and you, and your too busy tring to remember what the book said to do!

I think that an aggressor with a knife should worry even the highest skilled martial artist!

The no.1 rule though is always - only engage in combat when there is no other option. If you can, run away from the attacker, no harm in losing an ounce of pride for 5 seconds. If you can't run, try and negotiate in a calm yet assertive way.

I think i also read recently that if you do run from an attacker, if you sprint at a good pace for maybe 30 metres, keeping the distance between you and them, the attacker is statistically likely to stop chasing you any further.

Interesting banner!

Wish you what? Is that another hobby?

Wu Shu

roughly translated: martial art.

It is traditional Chinese kung fu forms performed and judged as demonstration - i.e. choreographed routines etc, judged a bit like gymnastics. Sort of thing you see the Shaolin Monks doing. Very impressive, very exciting to look at.

I think someone told me that Wu Shu might make it into the Olympics pretty soon? Unfortunately, not in China which would have been ideal.

Thats my worry - someone comes and you, and your too busy tring to remember what the book said to do!

I think that an aggressor with a knife should worry even the highest skilled martial artist!

The no.1 rule though is always - only engage in combat when there is no other option. If you can, run away from the attacker, no harm in losing an ounce of pride for 5 seconds. If you can't run, try and negotiate in a calm yet assertive way.

I think i also read recently that if you do run from an attacker, if you sprint at a good pace for maybe 30 metres, keeping the distance between you and them, the attacker is statistically likely to stop chasing you any further.

J do you think about what the book told you when the market comes to you? Or do you just trade the plan, same as every day.....

Depends on your skill level. I'm too fat to sprint anyway :p

I think gumping made a good point on this one. If they're not skilled they're likely trying to intimidate so you'll know the knife is there. It's fairly straightforward to deal with in that case. If they're skilled you'd be full of holes before you knew what had hit you.

Agree with you there. Avoidance is the first option as, again, gumping has said better than I could.

Sounds pretty plausible to me.

Last edited:
Depends on what you do really. The kung fu I learned was very traditional, but also very self-defence based. Everything we did in forms had to work in practice. But yes, alot of classes are sport-based, although most systems can be taught either as sport or self-defence. When I teach self defence, it's pretty much a case of learning how to survive when attacked - i.e. by out-violencing the violent attacker. My classes generated many complaints about the violent techniques I taught, but people who have been to my/our classes and been attacked have got out without injury - regardless of whether they damage the opponent or not. And yes, I teach people to rip, gouge, tear, pull, twist, prod, stab and poke - not a single punch! I also teach the first rule, which is avoidance: ie make sure you aren't out alone in dodgy areas, and you get a lift if you can etc, you cross the street if you see trouble, and don't broadcast what you know. That's normally enough to save your bacon.
As far as weapons goes, it's a funny one. The average hooligan attacking you with a weapon is actually pretty good if you are trained - since you know they will attack you with the weapon - they are using it to intimidate you. However, if someone skilled attacked you with a weapon, you probably wouldn't know too much about what happened - you'd see the knife when it is in you. but then again, if it was someone that good, then you have probably got yourself in deep, deep trouble, which is bad self-defence :p If someone attacks you and fails, then you are the winner, and that must be your goal.

So as far as learning martial arts to defend yourself goes, take it on a club-by-club basis - not even style by style. I've seen some appaling kung fu classes where people cannot fight, but then I've seen classes from systems renowned for not being applicable to self-defence full of double-hard b**t**ds who I would NOT mess with.

Then there's the rise of MMA - mixed martial arts, like Jeet Kune Do, Keysi, Vale Tudo, Pancrace, Krav Maga etc, which are quite simply applied violence. Go there to learn to defend yourself! But for some reason, the classical grounding in traditional MA will always help you out - studying your posture and getting grounded in the longer stances does wonders for the legs and the root, and helps in generating power. I always find people with a classical base do better in those systems for that reason.

Long answer - but that's my opinion.

Yes, i've watched a fair bit of MMA (cage fighting) on TV, and you do pick up quite a good insight into the techniques used to - fend off, ground and then pound, remove the attacker who has grounded you etc. It seems simple logical stuff - but its only simple if you know the answer!

Yes, i've watched a fair bit of MMA (cage fighting) on TV, and you do pick up quite a good insight into the techniques used to - fend off, ground and then pound, remove the attacker who has grounded you etc. It seems simple logical stuff - but its only simple if you know the answer!

Yup!

Always!

Even MMA as it's shown on tv though, think about it: barefoot on mats. It favours grapplers since your feet cannot grip the floor. When you permit footwear that grips the mats, boxers begin to do well.

Doing that sort of thing (tackling people to the ground) is well and good in a cage with a single fighter in front of you, but on the street it would get you a good kicking when you take down a guy and his 3 mates rush in start stamping on you. Best keep on yer feet - easier to run away on 2 legs!

Best keep on yer feet - easier to run away on 2 legs!

Even easier on three!

hoyle1.jpg

Wow!

I'm officially declaring this thread a 'fast market'. Spreads are not guaranteed, but slippage is........

Good thread guys! (y)

Yup!

Always!

Even MMA as it's shown on tv though, think about it: barefoot on mats. It favours grapplers since your feet cannot grip the floor. When you permit footwear that grips the mats, boxers begin to do well.

Doing that sort of thing (tackling people to the ground) is well and good in a cage with a single fighter in front of you, but on the street it would get you a good kicking when you take down a guy and his 3 mates rush in start stamping on you. Best keep on yer feet - easier to run away on 2 legs!

True.

What do you think of professional MMA in terms of physical damage - worse than boxing or less so? its a trickyone as MMA seems more violent on the surface as you see someone sit on someone and start punching them in the head! But they might only hit them 20 times before the ref stops it. In boxing a boxer might receive 100+ punches to the head with possibly worse cumulative damage....

True.

What do you think of professional MMA in terms of physical damage - worse than boxing or less so? its a trickyone as MMA seems more violent on the surface as you see someone sit on someone and start punching them in the head! But they might only hit them 20 times before the ref stops it. In boxing a boxer might receive 100+ punches to the head with possibly worse cumulative damage....

Don't watch enough of it to be the judge. I assume that most martial artists would roll with a punch ( I do!), and limit the damage, since they would usually be laying down. Boxers, however, maintain a rigid posture and neck because they are stood up. I reckon the MMA damage would be more painful immediately, but they would recover more quickly, whereas boxing can lead to more permanent damage owing to the 100's of punches being taken with a rigid posture. Look at Ali.... or James Toney nowadays. Gerald McLellan, Michael Watson, Paul Ingle....the list goes on. Those MMA guys would probably not end up like that, but may well have a slight limp/frozen shoulder/gammy elbow from joint damage etc.
Horses for courses......

Don't watch enough of it to be the judge. I assume that most martial artists would roll with a punch ( I do!), and limit the damage, since they would usually be laying down. Boxers, however, maintain a rigid posture and neck because they are stood up. I reckon the MMA damage would be more painful immediately, but they would recover more quickly, whereas boxing can lead to more permanent damage owing to the 100's of punches being taken with a rigid posture. Look at Ali.... or James Toney nowadays. Gerald McLellan, Michael Watson, Paul Ingle....the list goes on. Those MMA guys would probably not end up like that, but may well have a slight limp/frozen shoulder/gammy elbow from joint damage etc.
Horses for courses......

All in the name of entertainment :rolleyes:!

Having a look on the web for local martial arts clubs I stumbled across this. Damn that looks fun!

I've found a club that teaches JKD, Fillipino Kali, Thai Boxing and Brazilian jiu jitsu. Might have to make some further enquiries into that. I've been interested in learning Brazilian jiu jitsu as I'm a small guy (5'6" or 5'8" ish) and enjoy grappling so it would probably suit me quite well.

They teach the jiu jitsu without a gi which gives me the impression they're focussed more on teaching people things that are useful rather than for competition.

If I trained in all 4 disciplines I'd be training 4 hours a week over 2 nights as well as the swimming I'm doing each week:eek: Think I need to build my fitness back up before I think too seriously about doing that...

Having a look on the web for local martial arts clubs I stumbled across this. Damn that looks fun!

I've found a club that teaches JKD, Fillipino Kali, Thai Boxing and Brazilian jiu jitsu. Might have to make some further enquiries into that. I've been interested in learning Brazilian jiu jitsu as I'm a small guy (5'6" or 5'8" ish) and enjoy grappling so it would probably suit me quite well.

They teach the jiu jitsu without a gi which gives me the impression they're focussed more on teaching people things that are useful rather than for competition.

If I trained in all 4 disciplines I'd be training 4 hours a week over 2 nights as well as the swimming I'm doing each week:eek: Think I need to build my fitness back up before I think too seriously about doing that...

Sounds like a good club, if ur gf will allow you to do it :LOL:

Indeed. Mind you 2 evenings a week training, about an hour or two out of my week whenever it fits for a quick swim shouldn't be too much of an issue; it'll be all the other things that could suffer. Still, my fitness is nowhere near good enough to handle all that exercise at the moment so it's not really worth fretting about at the moment.