What do you do?

I had such a massive crush on her ... sexy older woman, very quick with digits, readily laughs at lame jokes, what was there not to like.

I didn't know it was a work of fiction, but it's not a book I would ever recommend for someone looking to find their way in trading.

Ok, Livermore had elephant sized balls but do people really think this is a template of how to trade?? To make a fortune, squander it, claw it back, generally take ridiculous levels of risk and then commit suicide .. ? This book is entertaining, but does it actually inspire or guide people??

Yup - despite all the 'traders' that laud the book as if it were real... it is not...

What you have there is Edwin Lefevre's adaptation of Livermores life. As with all works of fiction based on reality, we can expect a fair amount of embellishment to keep things interesting.

It speaks volumes about people who say they are profitable, claim that Livermore is an inspiration yet have such a lack of attention to detail to spot the book is a story.

One can only presume that lack of attention to detail is a desirable attribute in trading.

Jeez - Phil Schofield has grey hair !!!!

When did that happen ?

Has to be said - that's fkin funny - good job it wasn't pork...

Yup - despite all the 'traders' that laud the book as if it were real... it is not...

What you have there is Edwin Lefevre's adaptation of Livermores life. As with all works of fiction based on reality, we can expect a fair amount of embellishment to keep things interesting.

It speaks volumes about people who say they are profitable, claim that Livermore is an inspiration yet have such a lack of attention to detail to spot the book is a story.

One can only presume that lack of attention to detail is a desirable attribute in trading.

Despite all the 'traders' that jump the gun, making silly posts that stem from either a complete lack of knowledge or the need to be so pedantic it borders on the asinine, let's clarify that most of us are fully aware it's a story.

We all know Reminiscences was an adaptation of Livermores life. And I am sure there was a good degree of embellishment.

So let's turn to something that Livermore actually penned himself:

"On many occasions I have gone to bed wondering why I had not been able to foresee a certain imminent move, and awakened in the early hours of the ensuing morning with a new idea formulated".

"This sense of knowing when you are wrong even before the market tells you becomes, in time, rather highly developed. It is a sub-conscious tip off. It is a signal from within that is based on knowledge of past experiences"

"...after the market closed, I would become restive. That night I would find sound sleep difficult. Something would jog me into consciousness and I would awaken and begin thinking about the market...something sinister would seem impending. But perhaps I would find everything rosy and my strange feeling apparently un-justified. The market might open higher. It's action could be perfect. It would be right at the peak of it's movement. One could almost laugh at his restless night. But I have learnt to supress such laugher.

"I believe many operators have had similar experiences with that curious inner mind which frequently flashes the danger signal when everything market wise is aglow with hope. It is just one of those peculiar quirks that develops from long study and association with the market.

"The fact remains that on many occassions I have benefited to a high degree by giving atttention to a feeling of great uneasiness"

I'll leave it at that for now or I will be here all day. Those who wish to read more, can find those extracts in "How To Trade in Stocks" by..

Yes, you guessed it ;-)

I believe this post certainy speaks volumes about people who like to have a go at others without doing their due diligence.

Livermore supressed his laughter. I'll supress mine.

Remember: acting before you have the facts is not a desirable attribute in trading.

Last edited:
Tom - which chapter is it that Livermore mentions waking up on the steps of his brokers because he got a 'feeling' one night?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Tom - which chapter is it that Livermore mentions waking up on the steps of his brokers because he got a 'feeling' one night?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't know but if you take a ouija board to the Sherry-Netherland in NY you can ask him yourself.

I've got some Euro's to sell.

Dont worry dante. You didnt really expect anything different did you. just remember the Lord Flasheart thread on Rogue Traders and how that deteriorated to you and then female rape!!!. Both you and I are the dreaded "vendors". Thankfully we have a few decent ones on here but that's the problem.I dont blame them so many scam experts have totally ruined the levelheaded and sensible approach and people who actually have something good to offer.