what other hobbies do you have?

:LOL:

Getting back to the whole 'having a fight vs. running away' thing.....

I was jogging the other night, and as I threaded my way through some railings, I caught my forearm on one of them and smacked the bone pretty hard against it while running. I now have a massive graze about 3 in. long down my forearm, and a bruise surrounding it that is the size of an apple. I can't rest my arm on the desk because it's too painful. I never got anything like that from martial arts, but the art of 'running away' leaves me bruised and bloody :p

I ve done some ju jitsu for about 2 years now and must say it depends of the club you go to.
Mine is rather socially oriented (lots of strange looking girls and beers (familiar looking) after each session)
But I prefer smth more yojimbo style (actually be able to perform some self defense), so I can enjoy more rather than being thrown by girls and trying to smile to them while barely walking.

So for now I av decided to stay at home and gain some fat

watching football, eating crisps, chips, korean noddles, and home making bread.

done get me wrong - jitsu is so far best I have seen from martial arts its just all those japanese names of the throws you have to remeber,

Interesting how similiar the hobbies of the people on the forum are. I used to do BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and switched to mma after a few years.

I competed on an amateur level but hurt my back doing powerlifting whilst at uni and have been out of action for nine months till it improves- herniated disc in l5-s1. I am waiting for the all-clear from the doctor and then hopefully I can return to that- if my back does not allow it want to do something fun but also exciting so I will either do escrima, rock climbing or anything else that is dangerous.

I also learn languages (Mandarin, Arabic) and read books on ancient history.

In addition I am also interested in:

read books (use to be on ancient history as well), watch movies, learn japanese, travel, philosophy, music, economics, fine art, etc etc almost everything

I used to go amateur treasure hunting.

There was a prog on TV about a treasure hoard once found by the priest at Rennes-le-chateau in France. I put a tent on the back of my motorbike and rode there. Had an interesting holiday but didn't find any treasure.

I am more into healthy living so I do yoga in my free time. I meditate with dim lights, relaxing music and scented candles.

EG01169.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus Electric Guitar Translucent Black

I just bought myself one of these to play around with. Nice!

I play it through one of these

1621-large.jpg

Marshall JVM410C, Guitar Amplifier, Electric Amplifiers

T'riffic!

I ve done some ju jitsu for about 2 years now and must say it depends of the club you go to.
Mine is rather socially oriented (lots of strange looking girls and beers (familiar looking) after each session)
But I prefer smth more yojimbo style (actually be able to perform some self defense), so I can enjoy more rather than being thrown by girls and trying to smile to them while barely walking.

As an aside, it's interesting to hear the word "ju-jitsu" being used again.

I used to do Judo when I was a teenager (long time ago), and my understanding then was that Judo was a development of the older ju-jitsu, really designed to make it more popular to a general audience. I forget now what the difference was between them. Perhaps judo was seen more of a sport than a "martial art".

So, has there been a "Campaign for Real Ju-Jitsu" in recent years then, or what?
What is your take on this?

BTW, I find I can still remember some of the japanese names for the throws, e.g. seonage for shoulder-throw; tomeonage for stomach-throw (my favourite in those days - so dramatic).

I think 5 minutes on the Judo mat nowadays would kill me.

Sorry, make that 1 minute.

Another expedition I went on with the bike and tent was to the island of Terschelling off the coast of Holland. I also had a metal detector. The Lutine sank there in Napoleonic times. It carried the entire pay for the British army fighting in Europe !

As an aside, it's interesting to hear the word "ju-jitsu" being used again.

I used to do Judo when I was a teenager (long time ago), and my understanding then was that Judo was a development of the older ju-jitsu, really designed to make it more popular to a general audience. I forget now what the difference was between them. Perhaps judo was seen more of a sport than a "martial art".

So, has there been a "Campaign for Real Ju-Jitsu" in recent years then, or what?
What is your take on this?

BTW, I find I can still remember some of the japanese names for the throws, e.g. seonage for shoulder-throw; tomeonage for stomach-throw (my favourite in those days - so dramatic).

I think 5 minutes on the Judo mat nowadays would kill me.

Sorry, make that 1 minute.

---------------------------------------

You right. Judo is the `sport version` of ju jitsu, very entertaining (especially while conducted by Japanese Judoka`s), more over the shoulder techniques (the names of the throws are a bit diffrent I guess, but similar).
Traditional Ju Jitsu is focused more on self defense, with useful arm-, head-locks, especially when attacked by someone who carries weapons; strikes, kicks. There are many Jitsu schools nowadays, more socially rather than technically oriented, with so called `brazilian jitsu` paving the way (I am not a fan of this stuff).
My hint for someone looking to train Jitsu is to look for a traditional Ju Jitsu school mentored by Japanese Sensei, who will teach you the proper technique (it is all about technique), and eliminate the risk of too many injuries.
I am out of Ju Jitsu for now - have been diagnosed with `scheuermann's disease` recently - I dont know if I could continue with this condition. started litening to lots of classical music (discovering Mozart especially and then his informal disciples Bethoveen, Chopin, Mahler, Rachmaninoff), however not a musician myself. Interesting, but difficult to remember - like Jitsu throws names.
I also think that Judo might be more safe than Jitsu with plenty of groundwork, but never tried it :)

hope it helps

Last edited:
Thanks Blancspa.

BTW, you have to check out JS Bach. I happen to like classical guitar, and there are some amazing transcriptions of his stuff for the guitar. I recently got a CD of Segovia's American recordings (I only got one of quite a long series), and another with both Segovia and John Williams, who apparently studied with him at one time.

His stuff done on organ, piano, or strings is also something. It even works jazzed up (e.g. Jack Loussier, or the Swingle Singers).

Another expedition I went on with the bike and tent was to the island of Terschelling off the coast of Holland. I also had a metal detector. The Lutine sank there in Napoleonic times. It carried the entire pay for the British army fighting in Europe !

Interesting. We once travelled by train, ferry and bus to the island of Texel in Holland; didn't have bikes though.

Once upon a time we did a cycle tour of North Germany, starting at Cuxhaven, and following the coast (as far as it was possible) along the dykes. We ended up at Nordeney, one of the German Friesian islands, and a holiday resort for the Germans (spa place). Our trip was actually inspired by the book "Riddle of the Sands" by Erskine Childers (a pre-WWI spy story), which takes place in that area. I'd hoped we might get as far Holland then, but it was a bit too far in the time we had available. In those days, there was a ferry from Harwich to Cuxhaven, which was how we got there, but it can't have been profitable, as it didn't run for many years. These days, you'd have to go to the Hook of Holland and cycle quite a long way through Holland before getting to Germany, to do that sort of trip.OTOH, it's slightly easier now to take a bike on Eurostar than it used to be, which offers some other possibilities.

My other interests include languages (e.g. German), walking and swimming.

I am too old now to go on another treasure hunt but there are targets out there that are worth a look.
Whatever happened to the Reichsbank ( stolen off the Jews ) gold. Some was recovered but much still remains.
Probably still in the Bavarian Alps.
A drone with a big metal detector could cover many square miles in a day.

I have a full-time job but because I do shift work I actually have access to the market I trade for more than 75% of the trading hours (overall). Sometimes I have a full week of trading. I sometimes think it's no different to saying I am a full time trader with a part time job! I train at the gym most mornings and get home ready for the afternoon opening of the US market. I am also learning to play the piano.

Have you seen this video!
Extreme RC Helicopter Flying - MSN Video
after 12 years how good have you become at piano ?

Still relevant
Lots of good ideas beside trading.
Now that I have given up tennis and golf I have to find other things to fill my day.
I get lots of sex spam inviting me to....but alas I have had to give that up too.
Gardening takes some of my time.

I assume most people will either trade for a living or as a hobbie that hopefully makes them money, but out of curiosity what other interests do you have?

To be successful at trading you have to live and breathe it .......look at the best in the business ....they all live it