Wallstreet1928 Analysis & live calls on FTSE,DAX,S&P...aimed to help New traders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like your FTSE chart Geofract

weekly chart

50.0% fib retrace at ............5112

61.8% fib retrace at....... 5502

Trendline @ 5400

Goodo - not everyone is fan of extensions, but they can be useful IMHO.

I have those same weekly fib levels drawn in as well, We haven't seen much of reaction to the 50% fib level so far, but perhaps we will soon. If not, then I guess 5500 is the next level to watch.

Subjective channel subdivided.

Attachments

• ft_channel.jpg
    ft_channel.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 165
Marks and Spencer

If we resume this uptrend and it shows no signs of abating

Potential target Target 415 & 436

Geofract do you have access to Volume

Attachments

• Marks & Spencer Group Plc (18-SEP-09).png
    Marks & Spencer Group Plc (18-SEP-09).png
    18.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Yep same principle, can be a head boiler at times , trying to relate the different TF to each other , esp when they start twisting and turning.

One thing I meant to say was , I use a 'split screen' , M15 & H1 side by side on the workspace, or H1 & H4 , H4 & Daily etc really helps to keep things in perspective.

Not sure they must be divisible by 4 , I use M10 and H1 on FTSE, have tested with M15 , doesn't really make a difference. Sometimes M10 will show up stuff that M15 doesn't , sometimes it's the other way around. Think mainly it comes down to personal pref after testing various TF combo's. (with MT4 you haven't got a lot of choice really , just the preset TF's , not really it's best feature)

What's this Lucky21's you both mentioned? Haven't heard of it , I'll read anything once , you never know, maybe provide some ideas.

I think there's a script available for MT4 so you can have alternative TFs - google would be a good start I guess. Personally I don't enjoy using MT4, as I find it a bit clunky. I like to watch 4 TF's at once, and also like to flick through pairs quickly. I much prefer pro-realtime, even though I have to pay for it.

I've been looking at fxsolutions accucharts recently, and they're much better than MT4 IMHO, but still I am sticking with PRT. Anyway, all this guff is off topic.

Have a read of HWSteele's Lucky 21 timing method in his forum if you're interested. The most basic description is; If you measure 21 bars into the future from a previous pivot, it will give you a new turning point... but, it can be out by 1 or 2 bars at times. However, I think if it is combined with candle reversal patterns, you can make good use of it. Either way, it is a curious and fascinating observation.

I only have EOD volume WS, via Pro-realtime - it's free for EOD data though.

I only have realtime data for FX with PRT unfortunately.

Some M&S Volume for you WS.

21's For Mas - Each blue line on the chart is 21 bars long - by measuring into the future we can project TPs. Sometimes perfectly, and sometimes within a couple of bars. If I understood more candlestick reversal patterns, i think I could make good use of Lucky 21.

edit: understanding HW's defintion of pivots is quite useful too.

Attachments

• M+S21s.jpg
    M+S21s.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Some M&S Volume for you WS.

21's For Mas - Each blue line on the chart is 21 bars long - by measuring into the future we can project TPs. Sometimes perfectly, and sometimes within a couple of bars. If I understood more candlestick reversal patterns, i think I could make good use of Lucky 21.

edit: understanding HW's defintion of pivots is quite useful too.

can you please give me the link for this HW steele chap, I must learn what the currency king has learnt

can you please give me the link for this HW steele chap, I must learn what the currency king has learnt

There you go Mr. WS, FTSE King! :) http://www.trade2win.com/boards/market-timing/ not sure, but it may be a private forum, if so, pm HWSteele, and he will send you an invite. You can find him in the members directory. He's a good guy too :)

edit: HWSteele uses this Lucky 21 method to scalp Cable. It's ideal for scalpers IMHO.

Subjective channel subdivided.

Close , but those subs look like the drawn to price ? Draw subs at fixed percentages 50'tent and, the others to what you think you see the market reacting around most often, Fibs, fractional subdivisions etc. (remember I only ever use 'TA' stuff as a 'gauge' , never to trade off in themselves)

thanks for the lucky21 info , didn't know it was HWSteels stuff, like I said I'll have to get around to going through it now its started moving a bit.

Yes agree MT4 can be a bit Hmmmm (still prefer TS) , my absolute fav 'feature' on MT4, is the 'delete all arrows' menu item , right next to the normal delete menu item. Oh how I love it when I click that by accident :mad::mad: Yea seen the lower TF Time script, doesn't update in real time I believe ? hence never bothering.

Cheers for the heads-up on accucharts , I'll check it out this week.

So , hows the learning/trading coming along ? or you still a bit snowed under with work stuff.

asia overnight
Asia/Pacific Last Trade Change Related Information
^AORD All Ordinaries (Australia) 4,677.20 5:19am -16.50 (-0.35%) Chart, Components, more...
^BSESN BSE 30 (India) 16,741.30 18 Sep 30.19 (+0.18%) Chart, more...
^HSI Hang Seng (Hong Kong) 21,668.30 5:24am 44.85 (+0.21%) Chart, Components, more...
^JKSE Jakarta Composite (Indonesia) 2,456.99 17 Sep 17.63 (+0.72%) Chart, Components, more...
^KLSE KLSE Composite (Malaysia) 1,176.90 27 Aug 4.34 (+0.37%) Chart, Components, more...
^NZ50 NZSE 50 (New Zealand) 3,155.65 5:00am -0.81 (-0.03%) Chart, Components, more...
^N225 Nikkei 225 (Japan) 10,370.54 18 Sep -73.26 (-0.70%) Chart, more...
^NSEI S&P CNX NIFTY (India) 4,976.05 18 Sep 10.50 (+0.21%) Chart, more...
^KS11 Seoul Composite (South Korea) 1,696.00 5:19am -3.71 (-0.22%) Chart, Components, more...
000001.SS Shanghai Composite (China) 2,927.89 5:24am -34.77 (-1.17%) Chart, Components, more...
^STI Strait Times (Singapore) 2,647.91 18 Sep 0.00 (+0.00%) Chart, Components, more...

Usd /yen

potential break out opportunity looming

nice bottoming pattern put in

I WOULD LIKE THE 20MA TO CROSS OVER THE 50 MA

91.7 looks like the trigger line

strategy

> 91.7 ...........go long

< 91.7 ..........keep following the trend down

Nice break on USD/YEN as expected chaps

lets see how many pips we can squeeze out of this

Last edited:
RBS in talks on "modest" equity placing

LONDON (Reuters) - Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS.L) is talking to investors to gauge support for a 'modest' equity placement of 3 billion to 4 billion pounds, a source familiar with the situation said on Sunday.

The share issue would be used to replace a small portion of the government's economic interest in RBS, the source said.

He said RBS, led by Chief Executive Stephen Hester, had been holding talks with institutions to test the appetite for such a placement.

RBS declined to comment.

RBS is due to hand over non-voting B shares to the government in payment of the fee for participating in its asset protection scheme, thereby increasing the government's stake in the bank from the current 70 percent.

On Friday RBS rival Lloyds Banking Group (LLOY.L) said it may scale back or cancel its own participation in the government's asset protection scheme.

But analysts say an outright withdrawal from the programme would be difficult for Lloyds as the bank would have to raise up to 20 billion pounds of fresh capital -- representing the biggest cash call on record -- to satisfy regulators that it could absorb further credit losses on its own.

(Reporting by Kate Holton and Steve Slater; Editing by Greg Mahlich)

G-20 Push on Banks Threatens Profits From Goldman to Barclays

Sept. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Global leaders meet this week seeking to deliver the broadest financial regulation overhaul since the 1930s, potentially threatening profits and stock prices of banks from Goldman Sachs Group Inc. to Barclays Plc.

President Barack Obama and his Group of 20 counterparts convene in Pittsburgh on Sept. 24-25 to cement a plan to force banks to curb leverage, hold more equity capital and keep a greater pool of assets that can be easily traded. Bankers’ pay will also top the agenda as officials try to hammer out an accord that will prevent a repeat of the worst crisis since the Great Depression.

By limiting the scope of banks to invest and trade, governments may check this year’s 22 percent gain in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Financial Index. That may be a price they’re willing to pay to prevent a repeat of the risk-taking that sparked the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. a year ago, a worldwide recession and taxpayer-funded bank rescues.

“Regulation will make banks less profitable by increasing the cost of doing business,” said Andrew Clare, a professor at Cass Business School in London and a former Bank of England official. “If banks are going to benefit from taxpayer largesse then they need to act in a way that doesn’t hurt taxpayers or the economy.”

The summit, which will also be attended by U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown, French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Chinese President Hu Jintao, will also discuss how to sustain the economic recovery, avoid protectionism, improve accountancy and revamp governance of the International Monetary Fund.

Voter Disquiet

Leaders travel to the Steel City amid voter disquiet after governments used public money to bail out banks only to see many of them quickly return to profit and resume setting aside billions for bonuses. Seventy-three percent of U.K. voters polled this month by YouGov wanted a tax imposed on all bonuses over 10,000 pounds. A Gallup poll in June showed that 59 percent of Americans wanted action to curb executive pay.

Under consideration: forcing banks to augment their capital buffers to better account for risk, retain more earnings and satisfy a leverage ratio, which measures equity as a proportion of total holdings. They may also consider a proposal to tie pay to capital levels from Financial Stability Board Chairman Mario Draghi.

“There has been a culture that rewards short-term thinking, that used leverage to take exorbitant risks that were unsustainable for the system as a whole,” Obama said in a Sept. 14 interview with Bloomberg Television. “That’s the culture I think that we’ve got to reverse.”

Crackdown

The crackdown could lower profitability by a third at Goldman, Barclays and Deutsche Bank AG’s investment bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co. analysts led by Kian Abouhossein said in a Sept. 9 report.

Deutsche Bank’s return on equity will probably tumble the most among the world’s largest investment banks, falling to 6.7 percent in 2011 from 10 percent today, the analysts said. Goldman’s return on equity will decline by 4.4 percentage points and Barclays’ by 4.3 points.

“The amendments to capital requirements will clearly affect the activities of banks in their trading books and securitizations,” said Alessandra Mongiardino, a London-based analyst at Moody’s Investors Service.

Spokespeople for Goldman, Deutsche bank and Barclays declined to comment.

Stock Drop?

Investors may suffer if financial companies have to issue more equity, said Charles Goodhart, a former Bank of England official and now a professor at the London School of Economics.

“Banks will have to raise more capital by issuing more equity so existing stocks will generally go down,” Goodhart said. The IMF estimated in April that U.S. and European banks would need $875 billion in extra capital.

To be sure, Goldman has demonstrated that higher capital and lower leverage don’t always mean reduced profits.

The company, which set aside a record $11.4 billion for compensation and benefits in the first half, cut its ratio of assets-to-common equity to 16 times in the second quarter from 26 times a year earlier. Goldman still set a new Wall Street profit record this year, making $3.4 billion on $13.8 billion of revenue in the three months that ended in June.

The new rules will probably also take years to go into effect, with U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithnerproposing that new capital requirements be in place by the end of 2012.

Lehman Demise

Since the demise of Lehman, some banks have already cut leverage, boosted capital by selling stock, and set aside a larger pool of easy-to-sell, or “liquid,” assets.

Morgan Stanley, the sixth-biggest U.S. bank by assets, raised $6.92 billion through stock sales in May and June and cut its ratio of total assets-to-common equity to 18.3 times at the end of June from 30.9 times a year earlier. Barclays’ so-called surplus liquidity jumped to 88 billion pounds ($145 billion) at the end of June from 36 billion pounds six months earlier.

“Banks have already changed so substantially that it’s unlikely the G-20 can impose a further pinch in terms of beefing up liquidity or reducing leverage,” said Simon Gleeson, a regulatory lawyer at Clifford Chance LLP, the second-biggest law firm, in London.

Any agreement on capital buffers could see European banks as the biggest losers, which could provoke the ire of Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who faces elections on Sept. 27. The region’s banks may have to sell more stock than U.S. rivals to satisfy new capital rules having relied on so- called hybrid securities to meet the current requirements.

European Penalty?

“It would be paradoxical if European banks were to be penalized in terms of competition against U.S. banks, given that the crisis originated in the U.S.,” says Baudouin Prot, chief executive officer of BNP Paribas SA, France’s largest bank, at the French Senate Finance Committee in Paris on Sept. 16. He said a leverage ratio would be “extremely difficult” to introduce.

Merkel and Sarkozy have campaigned for the G-20 to focus instead on bonuses, arguing excessive executive pay played a role in triggering the crisis. The summit may fall short of “high expectations,” Merkel said Sept. 19.

The risk for politicians trying to persuade voters they haven’t let bankers off the hook is that the financial industry eventually finds a way around the regulatory revamp.

“We aren’t doing anything significant so far, and the banks are pushing back,” said Nobel laureate Joseph Stiglitz, a professor at Columbia University. “The leaders of the G-20 will make some small steps forward, given the power of the banks” and “any step forward is a move in the right direction.”

The G-20 accounts for about 85 percent of the world economy and the Pittsburgh talks will the third summit of its leaders in the past year. Its members are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the U.S., the U.K. and the European Union.

Breach alert ..............

Call security

dax - europeAN leader is a laggard

i am short dax 5735 ..stop loss 5755

target 5650 (YES 85 POINTS.....RISK 20 )

DAX is still a european laggard but FTSE is still very strong and i will be buying on dips

Nice bounce from 50MA and may prove to be support for teh remainder of the day

can BP break the 560 level, if it does then this market fly higher

Attachments

• Germany 30 Daily (21-SEP-09).png
    Germany 30 Daily (21-SEP-09).png
    21 KB · Views: 130
Dollar Advances as Federal Reserve May Signal Stimulus Exit

Sept. 21 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar rose to a one-week high against the yen and climbed versus the euro on speculation U.S. policy makers will this week signal they may withdraw economic stimulus measures, boosting the appeal of the nation’s assets.

The dollar advanced to a two-week high against the pound and strengthened versus 13 of the 16 major currencies before a U.S. report economists said will show an index of leading indicators gained a fifth month, backing the case for the Federal Reserve to wean the economy off support. The yen fell to a three-week low versus the euro after Finance Minister Hirohisa Fujii edged away from comments last week that were interpreted to mean he would let the Japanese currency rise.

“There’s a risk the FOMC will indicate at some point they will start withdrawing their stimulus to the economy,” said Joseph Capurso, a currency strategist in Sydney at Commonwealth Bank of Australia, the nation’s largest lender by assets. “The catalyst for the dollar strengthening on a sustained basis is likely to come from the FOMC.”

The dollar rose to 92.17 yen as of 7:45 a.m. in London from 91.29 yen in New York on Sept. 18, after earlier reaching 92.19 yen, the highest level since Sept. 10. It climbed to $1.4645 per euro from $1.4712. The U.S. currency advanced to $1.6143 per pound from $1.6271, after earlier touching $1.6135, the highest level since Sept. 2.

The yen fell to as low as 135.07 per euro, the weakest level since Aug. 26, before trading at 135.04 from 134.33 last week. Japan’s currency declined 0.3 percent to 79.38 versus Australia’s dollar.

Dollar Index

The Dollar Index, which the ICE uses to track the dollar against the currencies of six major U.S. trading partners, rose 0.6 percent to 76.878.

The Fed will keep its target rate for overnight loans in a range of zero to 0.25 percent at its two-day policy meeting starting tomorrow, according to all 91 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News. Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said in Washington on Sept. 15 that the worst U.S. recession since the 1930s has probably ended.

“That’s why there might be a little bit of nervousness going into the FOMC if they start signaling any potential unwind of quantitative easing,” Tony Morriss, senior markets strategist in Sydney at Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd., said in a Bloomberg Television interview. “There is a bit of risk over the next couple of days of the dollar starting to recover a little bit of ground.”

The Conference Board’s gauge of the U.S. economic outlook for the next three to six months rose 0.7 percent in August, after a 0.6 percent gain in July, a Bloomberg survey showed before the New York-based group releases the report today.

Yen to Weaken

The world’s biggest banks say the Japanese currency is likely to weaken.

While the yen gained against all but one of the 16 most- actively traded currencies since early August as the Democratic Party of Japan became the likely winner in national elections, forecasters say it will decline 5.7 percent against the dollar and 1.2 percent versus the euro by year-end. The economy is too weak to support a stronger rate, based on the median estimate in a Bloomberg survey.

Japan will be the only Group-of-10 nation that won’t raise borrowing costs in 2010, keeping its benchmark interest rate at a record low 0.1 percent, the survey showed. The economy will expand 0.8 percent next year after contracting 6 percent in 2009, according to median forecasts, putting assets in the world’s second-biggest economy at a disadvantage to those in countries with higher borrowing costs.

‘Deteriorated Significantly’

“Everyone is seemingly buying the yen, which I think is ridiculous,” said Jim O’Neill, head of global economic research at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. in London. “The true underlying fundamentals for the yen in my book have deteriorated significantly.”

New York-based Goldman Sachs, which earned more than $100 million from trading for a record 46 days last quarter, predicts the yen will weaken to 98 per dollar and 142 per euro by the end of the year.

The pound may weaken further against the dollar and the euro on speculation the Bank of England will keep borrowing costs low, according to BNP Paribas SA.

BOE Governor Mervyn King last week told lawmakers in London that cutting the deposit rate paid to financial institutions is “something we’re looking at.” Banks are currently paid 0.5 percent on the deposits. While the U.K. central bank is boosting its reserves by buying 175 billion pounds ($284 billion) of bonds through so-called quantitative easing, King said he doesn’t want it to go too far.

‘Will be hit’

“Sterling will be hit by the BOE keeping interest rates low, continuing to purchase gilts in the open market via an expansion of its balance sheet,” analysts led by Hans-Guenter Redeker, London-based global head of currency strategy at BNP Paribas, wrote in a research note dated yesterday. “We have revised our pound projections lower.”

BNP now expects the pound to decline to $1.57 by the end of this year, compared with $1.53 previously. The French bank also forecasts the pound to fall to 98 pence per euro by year-end, versus a prior prediction of 88 pence.

The pound dropped to 90.70 pence per euro from 90.40 pence on Sept. 18, after earlier touching 90.78 pence, the lowest level since Apr. 24.

Last edited:
Usd /yen

potential break out opportunity looming

nice bottoming pattern put in

I WOULD LIKE THE 20MA TO CROSS OVER THE 50 MA

91.7 looks like the trigger line

strategy

> 91.7 ...........go long

< 91.7 ..........keep following the trend down

USD/YEn chart fro those interested

I also posted this analysis on my blog @ benzinga.com

http://www.benzinga.com/users/wallstreet1928