Updata

I bought Downdata on it's release. It was advertised as compliant with any DDE feed. I had Tenfore Sat. Trouble was, that if you crashed, you lost all data, as Downdata wouldn't auto save as Indexia did. Their answer eventually(they ignored the complaint for months) was to use their feed, when they released it, which would download the gaps. They emailed me last week saying they had increased support for Tenfore.
I told them I don't use either now :cheesy: They love to sell you something.
The P&F charts are the best. DuPlessis always reckoned other systems calculated them wrongly. I had Tenfore P&F as well but they only did "close", and I prefer Hilo.
As already said, it's a good programme....now, but there's cheaper out there.
Pity they didn't beta test it properly in the first place. I also wasted months trying to trade with it.
Be lucky

GruntnoWay

afternoon Gruntnoway.

I was using the realtime version. I have no comments on the EOD version, although their is a very obvious difference in running the two.

I am not sure on UD subs for their LIFFE FEED, however my experience suggests that IB and SIERRA are the perfect combinaton for this.
IB = £20 LIFFE FEE per month
SIERRA = £24 per six months (T2W Store)
TOTAL = £24 PER MONTH.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your comments. I have tried Sierra. It really not that good. I will look at IB

GruntnoWay said:

Perhaps I shouldnt say anything, but there seems to be a hidden anti-Updata agenda here. Perhaps there is something I don't know about

There's no hidden anti Updata agenda here . A lot of us are full time traders who try to find and use the best data and charting service available for our money.

My dealings with Updata have always been difficult cos they frequently delivered far less than they promised............nothing personal, just a series of unsatisfactory experiences.

Thanks. My experience has been good. I just didnt want to get involved in a slanging match. I guess its the same story with anything. If you are happy with what you have don't look elsewhere. Trading is the most important thing for me and I tend to be quite successful. Faulty computers, software, modems just get in the way.

"Trading is the most important thing for me and I tend to be quite successful. Faulty computers, software, modems just get in the way"

couldn't have said it better.

If you've only recently bought it you won't be aware of the problems early users had. DuPlessis from Indexia developed it and is well respected.
The IB £20 fee is the Liffe charge not IB's.
£25 for DOM

I've only used Sharescope and Updata as subscriber programs. I prefer Updata but have found their support to be fairly poor. I'm not a trader so my life doesn't hang on it and I would probably hold a stronger view if it did.
In Updata's favour, they are constanly improving the program and its a lot better in itself and easier on the hardware than it was even six months back.
I use it daily.

I have been a UD customer for 3+ years and the current product bears no resemblance to the original. It is now an excellent product for people who wish to tradeUK & US equities or LIFFE qouted products. However I would need som persuading that it justififies the additional cost of a third party feed and exchange fees to get access to say European or US futures

What sticks in my throat though is that myself and a number of early users (the "pioneer corps") spent a great deal of money on kit that initially just did not deliver and so funded some of the development costs. OM knows just what I am talking about in terms of frustration and sheer length of time wasted

Hidden agenda -
I am happy to hear Updata have improved, genuinely. My experiences were from a year ago (and prior to that as an Indexia 2 owner) which is the period when a lot of this unhappiness originated. Updata took Indexia over, produced a Windows comaptible version (which was well overdue, and welcome) and then tried to sell it out outright. In no time flat it halved in price, then it went monthly fee... early adopters from this period have tended to be unhappy as Updata changed their business model - leading to much comment on various boards.
Personally I believe early adopters should be treated well, they're the people who fund further development.
It certainly sounds like Updata now have a good product, and it would be nice to think the tech support was also firing on all cylinders, I don't think you've got a hidden agenda here - just people remembering the bad times which weren't all that long ago,
As I've said before - a good program, that has been let down by poor support - if the support is now anything like as good as the program then it'll be worth signing up to.
It actually does a different job to my own program - I doubt many people will buy both, but then if you want to scan on P&F you'll buy my effort, if your prime interest is in chart drawing and finding your own patterns you'll go with them. Equally, as I don't include datafeed, my program is one that you'd take to add to an existing TA program that was weak in scanning or P&F, rather than paying for a datafeed that duplicates existing data supplies.
Horses for courses.
Dave

I guess you learnt your point and figure from Indexia as well. they were the best, but tbh its better now. I use the scan to find breakouts on my 1 minute charts. It runs every 15 minutes. Great for day trading.

"Horses for courses."

I think that sums it up pretty well. Iwould not deter anyone from exploring either the UD product (which now has optimisation on all its indicators) or the Dave JB product which scans lists of instruments for p+f patterns - which UD cannot do.

Dave's product is of course limited to P&f but fills a niche for those who already think its a pretty good method of judging supply and demand or are still to be converted.

Personally I think the two would fit together well for the p+f afficionado. Its the users' choice and they must assess their needs & evaluate for themselves.

GruntnoWay said:
I guess you learnt your point and figure from Indexia as well. they were the best, but tbh its better now. I use the scan to find breakouts on my 1 minute charts. It runs every 15 minutes. Great for day trading.

You do'nt work for them by any chance ?

improved updata????

just had free trial of technical analyst.just as bad as before try to put in or remove share from quote screen=crash,try to draw tick chart =crash.
portfolio would not work at all.keep in mind this free trial is a showcase of the "new"updata service.
to judge from my free trial ,not much has changed. :(

Re: improved updata????

dunlop said:
just had free trial of technical analyst.just as bad as before try to put in or remove share from quote screen=crash,try to draw tick chart =crash.
portfolio would not work at all.keep in mind this free trial is a showcase of the "new"updata service.
to judge from my free trial ,not much has changed. :(

! ! ! Either I have got a different program from you or you need a new computer. I haven't had any crashes at all. Slightly puzzling, I must say.

dunlop

Did you try and contact the customer service / help desk?
if they couldn't get you back on track within a reasonable period of time you have re-enforced my worst fears.

I have to say, their responses have been excellent. That's my experience. Emails I have sent have come back with replies within 20 minutes and they have always been polite on the phone. What can I say, my experience is different from yours. I don't understand why. Do they have agents? Maybe you dealt with an agent?

agents?

no. you always got through to the same three/ four people.

if my memory serves me properly their names were Mike, Andrew and an African fella.
If you got through to Mike you could guarantee your problem would escalate, the other two weren't to bad.

if Mike picked up I'd put the phone down and start again, he was that bad!!