Updata

I ran updata for 3 years pro 1 and 11 and TA and I got so frustrated with the freezes and terrible support etc that I chucked the lot out with time left on my sub. I took on sierrawith a mytrack feed and haven`t looked back

RESULT

Kind of,

Updata are allowing me to use their /my software ( 'cos I bought it out right) with a real-time feed of my choice. Just got to tell 'em who Iam going to use & their developers will make sure that it's compatible & it works- that's where the assistance ends.

Kat,

Agree with you whole heartedly, but you'll find that TA has moved on since it's inception & I would say is definitely worth looking at again IMHO.

I doubt it Jon,

Will try & swing that one when I next talk to Miss Mullins.

Re: Downloading data re PM. Even though Updata switched me off, I was able to downloadf EOD data, + intraday snapshot data.

Don't why they just don't say . Right we'll provide the data , this is what it will cost, if you want any assistance, that will be £ xx extra. End of story- they get a some additional revenue, I get my feed. Everyone's happy.

Jon,

You can download at anytime the latest version & choose to either overwrite or just add to the present data, the latter takes longer though.

Cheers Ls

Updata TA

Lockstock

Did you need to send a solicitors letter to convince Updata or was the threat enough.

DaveG

Dg,

Hi,

Updata had actually switched off the DDE facility enabling you to import your own data, by doing so it left me in a corner.

Mentioned the fact that I had sought professional advice on the matter.

Next day - switched back on & the olive branch of the offfer of me
being able to use any data provider & their developers would ensure that it would be compatible & would function.

Not much of a climb down- if any . still not happy with what has taken place- but unless a whole crowd of us turn on the heat- it's probably the best we're gonna get.

Why do you ask?

Cheers Ls

Last edited:
I see you survived the weekend :rolleyes:
Did you manage to get the feed working? I want to try it myself.
Need a "name" for IB's feed.

Got to go for a beer now, see you later.

great weekend,

Just drying out, (inside & out)

ended up doing the obligotary 200 mtrs in Barton broad after a skinful :LOL:

All participants joined in with the theme- stock question was what's the occasion?

Stock answer - gay wedding :-0

Re: feed - done nothing -yet. Will be getting in touch with Updata this week. Will let you know as soon as.

Cheers ls

UPDATA TA

Loskstock

Re:- Your response on the 26th

I've used TA since it's release with the S&P RT feed but have recently been drawn to the conclusion that I've wasted enough of my time and will be switching to TS over the next couple of months. However, there are bits of TA that could be usefull if the package were standalone with an indipendent feed. Hence the question regarding the solicitors letter. However, the fact that Updata can enable or disable the DDE feature (as you mentioned) means the package will never be truely standalone, but will still seek authentication with Updata servers.

But thanks for the response.

DaveG

:idea: Is this worth a try :?:
Find out which markets their feed doesn't cover and then tell them you want to trade these contracts :cool: .
They'll have to release the programme......or will they.
I want to try and feed it off IB.

O'man
I'm still with UD and am finding increasing gaps in what the feed covers - ng at all for intraday futures unles you take the LIFFE at (D)EXtracost for UKX
Am in the middle of a survey of feed and have currently about 8 o/s emails with support over data gaps and trying to pin them down on what we are entitled to exactly in feed terms
Ron

I could see the complaints about the feed being down all the time. When my computer crashed and wiped my data they said I should use their feed. They did not support other feeds and the programme did not "save as it went"(Indexia did). When it appeared to be more stable I enquired about it and discovered they couldn't provide markets I asked for. I've lost the emails now. You can't keep Updata Support emails, you'd need a new hard drive. :LOL: In the end I pissed them off once too often and they locked me out of the Forum :LOL:
As I said, I want to DDE feed IB into Updata and/or Indexia.

Good luck

ps. How's it going Lockstock :?:

Hi, I am new here. Been lurking for few weeks though. I subscribed to updata technical analyst in September and have to say it is really a great piece of software. I am quite knowledgable on technical analysis having used metastock prior to this. Point and figure is what attracted me to it and now it has full indicator optimisation which i am still getting my head around.

Hi Grunt

Welcome to the boards.

We have just launched T2W Guides and I have volunteered to edit the Software and Feeds guides.

I would be pleased to discuss the UD software in ,ore detail for our own benefit as well as for others if you want to.

Like you I haven't really got my head around the indicator optimiser but the p+f charting is very good

I'll be posting the guides soon and will be pleased to hear from you

The problem's seems simply to be that Updata didn''t sell enough of UTA, and decided to go for a rental version instead. Existing 'bought outright' customers got a bit of a shaft - when you think, a rental customer could download, swap to DDE, and never pay another penny... free program! I can't help feeling there must have been a middle ground in this, I can sympathise with Updata not wanting to release a version that wasn't locked to their datafeed, they seem to have adopted an unfortunate attitude to those who paid outright which I'm not sympathetic with.
As for feeds - I only trialled it, and the list of markets seemed pretty good for the price, but I'd agree you ought to know what you get for the fee, eSignal pricing (for example) is fairly straightforward and a similar prices chart for UTA ought to be simple to access so people wouldn't feel aggrieved.
There is a lot to like about UTA, and if it suits you then you tend to be a happy bunny - they DO seem to annoy some people greatly at times, which is unfortunate. There's no requirement for Updata (or anyone else) to make their program compatible with the user's choice of feed, did I misunderstand this part of the complaints? (I appreciate that those having bought outright should be able to run the data in that they originally used with it - I'm saying you can't expect them to add feeds, not that it isn't wrong to turn existing feeds off and leaving customers in the lurch).
Dave

updata

updata is a nice piece of equipment. I certainly found it very useful and USE TOO enjoy using it.

USE TOO?

Well as much as i enjoyed using it, it ended up being a thorn in my side.

Updata completely loses any credibility when it comes to customer service and CORRECTING PROBLEMS.

I lost count of the days and often WEEKS it took to get problems solved.

some of these problems had very little effect on day to day trading but some problems would mean I had to cease trading for many days!!

trading is an extremely demanding job that requires determination, extraordinary patience and confidence in your consistency.

updata tested these things to the absolute extreme I couldn't tell you about the energy wasted on it.

some of these things stemmed from the software itself, something time will obviously solve, however all to often it was the poorly trained people on the other end of the phone.

at the end of the day it boils down to what you are doing. If you are actively trading, UPDATA in my opinion will not be for you, however if you are breaking out into the world of TA then maybe!
but I am confident there are far cheaper options!!

I have not used UD for five months.
esignal forever!!

Last edited:
I use updata and I have found them to be really quick at solving problems, usually had a response within the hour.

if you ring them up you get through in about 20 / 30 min
of course the response doesn't always meets your expectation.

I not going to get into the in and outs of UD. all I know is, their is far better equipment out there. of course IMHO

Well my experience is completely different. I have found their support and customer service to be very good. My emails are replied to almost immediately and the telephone wait is about 5mins max. As I have said, I think the software is the best there is and I have had many years of using Tech Anal software. I started with Indexia in the 1980's and when they didn't produce a Windows version I went to Metastock, but have since dumped that for Updata because I have my old Indexia indicators back again. I pay £27 per month and it gives me daily data for every exchange in the world - its almost too cheap. I am converting to real time next week because I need LIFFE. Is it worth taking a Nasdaq feed too. Does anyone trade Nasdaq? Perhaps I shouldnt say anything, but there seems to be a hidden anti-Updata agenda here. Perhaps there is something I don't know about