Trump Presidency and the Consequences

Call it what you want but the average worker has a retirement plan that invests some percentage in the stock market and many retirees hold stocks too. Rising stock market is good for these people. Time to sell a portion of your holdings, or in retirement plans, reallocate your holdings. As much as we want it too we know it can't go up forever :(

Peter

BBC and Nigel Lawson has been promoting Trumps idea of putting up border taxes on imports of endogenous companies goods manufactured in other countries.

This should entice them to shift production US.

If the plan does work then it'll be a REAL feather in Trumps cap imo. (y)

Tories may do the same? Let's hope so. I never thought call centres going to India was a good idea. Simple jobs that can be done anywhere in the country. Ooops hang on a minute!!! That's a service industry. How will they be handled?

Anyhow should work for manufactured products! (y)

Putting up tariff barriers will make all manufactured goods much more expensive.

BBC and Nigel Lawson has been promoting Trumps idea of putting up border taxes on imports of endogenous companies goods manufactured in other countries.

This should entice them to shift production US.

If the plan does work then it'll be a REAL feather in Trumps cap imo. (y)

Tories may do the same? Let's hope so. I never thought call centres going to India was a good idea. Simple jobs that can be done anywhere in the country. Ooops hang on a minute!!! That's a service industry. How will they be handled?

Anyhow should work for manufactured products! (y)

The tariff thing has been tried before, but the result is usually a trade war. Then we begin the cycle again.

As far as Indian call centres, companies will go where costs are lowest. If the UK wants to compete with India, they'll have to be competitive on costs, including wages. Requiring citizens to work for low wages may be great for the companies in question, but it won't be great for the citizens or the country.

The shock to me was the way Trump called out Carryn Owens, widow of the Navy SEAL, Ryan Owens, who died in the raid in Yemen that Trump authorized during his first week in office. He spoke of her husband’s bravery and sacrifice; she naturally broke down in tears; and the camera stayed on her as the Congress stood and gave a prolonged ovation.

The pundits I saw on TV were calling the moment “powerful” and “presidential.” I disagree. For Ryan Owens’s own commitment and sacrifice, I feel only respect, honor, and admiration. His wife’s grief must be bottomless—like that of Ryan Owens’s father, who is so bitter about the raid that he refused to acknowledge Trump or shake his hand when Ryan Owens’s body was returned to Dover Air Force base.

But the public use of a widow’s grief in this ceremony seemed all too close to the spectacle that was the heart of Ben Fountain’s unforgettable novel Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, or the phenomenon I called “Chickenhawk Nation” in my cover story two years ago. In that piece I defined a chickenhawk nation as one “willing to do anything for its military except take it seriously.” Raise military budgets, sure. “Salute the heroes” at sporting events—and big presidential speeches—yes, as well. But thinking seriously about where and how Americans will be asked to risk their lives? About exactly how the defense budget will be spent? About how the burdens of service can be more fairly shared? These topics are not so interesting.

On the very same day in which Trump had tried to deflect blame for Ryan’s death and other problems of the Yemen raid, saying (incredibly) of military leaders “they lost Ryan”; on the very day after he said publicly that the nation’s military “doesn’t win any more” and “we don’t fight to win”—at that moment, Donald Trump thought it suitable to use a grieving widow in this way. And then to say, as the applause finally died down, that the cheers had “set a record.”

If you thought this “presidential,” fine.

For me, it was too easy.

--James Fallows

The shock to me was the way Trump called out Carryn Owens, widow of the Navy SEAL, Ryan Owens, who died in the raid in Yemen that Trump authorized during his first week in office. He spoke of her husband’s bravery and sacrifice; she naturally broke down in tears; and the camera stayed on her as the Congress stood and gave a prolonged ovation.

The pundits I saw on TV were calling the moment “powerful” and “presidential.” I disagree. For Ryan Owens’s own commitment and sacrifice, I feel only respect, honor, and admiration. His wife’s grief must be bottomless—like that of Ryan Owens’s father, who is so bitter about the raid that he refused to acknowledge Trump or shake his hand when Ryan Owens’s body was returned to Dover Air Force base.

But the public use of a widow’s grief in this ceremony seemed all too close to the spectacle that was the heart of Ben Fountain’s unforgettable novel Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, or the phenomenon I called “Chickenhawk Nation” in my cover story two years ago. In that piece I defined a chickenhawk nation as one “willing to do anything for its military except take it seriously.” Raise military budgets, sure. “Salute the heroes” at sporting events—and big presidential speeches—yes, as well. But thinking seriously about where and how Americans will be asked to risk their lives? About exactly how the defense budget will be spent? About how the burdens of service can be more fairly shared? These topics are not so interesting.

On the very same day in which Trump had tried to deflect blame for Ryan’s death and other problems of the Yemen raid, saying (incredibly) of military leaders “they lost Ryan”; on the very day after he said publicly that the nation’s military “doesn’t win any more” and “we don’t fight to win”—at that moment, Donald Trump thought it suitable to use a grieving widow in this way. And then to say, as the applause finally died down, that the cheers had “set a record.”

If you thought this “presidential,” fine.

For me, it was too easy.

--James Fallows
Oh please, it's not like you show much empathy either. Says a lot about your values you only have respect for Ryan considering children died in that SEAL raid, I have 1% disrespect for anyone involved in that raid while having 99% respect still.
Trump-Augustus.jpg

Last edited:
The tariff thing has been tried before, but the result is usually a trade war. Then we begin the cycle again.

Don't many other countries already charge import taxes for US made goods? The trade war has already begun. It's time we fight back for our own companies.

Peter

Once NAFTA is repealed and tariffs are established we will reduce the importing of waste products from Mexico and produce higher quality products while providing living wages for the American workforce.

74983_1719475314933434_5653167305283569411_n-jpg.73922

(AP) A young woman in the process of renewing her legal status to stay in the country has been arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Twenty-two-year-old Daniela Vargas had just spoken Wednesday at an immigration press conference in front of Jackson City Hall in Mississippi.

Her attorney says a friend was driving Vargas from the press conference when ICE officials pulled them over on the freeway and detained Vargas.

Her attorney, Nathan Elmore, says that Vargas' earlier Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status had just expired and that his firm had already filed to renew it. DACA immigrants are people who were brought to the country by their parents when they were young children — often referred to as "Dreamers."

So much for a more tolerant attitude toward immigrants.

“Ryan was a part of a highly successful raid that generated large amounts of vital intelligence that will lead to many more victories in the future against our enemy. Ryan’s legacy is etched into eternity.”

--Donald Trump

(NBC) The Pentagon says Navy SEALs scooped up laptops, hard drives and cell phones in last month's Yemen raid, but multiple U.S. officials told NBC News that none of the intelligence gleaned from the operation so far has proven actionable or vital — contrary to what President Trump said in his speech to Congress Tuesday.

Leopards and spots.

In a vital win for Democrats, the Supreme Court [8-0] reversed a ruling in a federal lawsuit pertaining to redistricting efforts by GOP politicians in Virginia. Challengers argued the new districts were gerrymandered to specifically target the black community.

According to the facts of the case, the Virginia State Legislature drew new lines for 12 state legislative districts after the 2010 census. The goal with this redistricting was to ensure that each district would have a black voting-age population of at least 55 percent. Voters filed suit, arguing that the new districts violated the Fourteen Amendment’s equal protection clause.

A three-judge district court originally rejected the challenge and the Supreme Court ruled that the lower court applied the wrong legal standard when it determined that race was not a factor in 11 of the 12 districts at issue. The court’s opinion was delivered by Justice Anthony Kennedy. In a concurring opinion, conservative Justice Clarence Thomas also wrote that all of the districts were unconstitutional due to racial gerrymandering.

The decision is a victory for Virginia voters, said Anna Scholl, the executive director of Progress Virginia.

“Voters should choose their elected officials, not the other way around. When politicians draw districts that ensure they can’t lose, they rig the game for special interests and the wealthy few,” Scholl said. “Politicians should not be allowed to use race or other political considerations to turn one election into lifetime tenure.”

Scholl said she hopes the decision “leads to new, fair political district lines in Virginia drawn by an independent body to ensure Virginia voters have the final say on who sits in the House of Delegates.”

--Taylor Link

(AP) A young woman in the process of renewing her legal status to stay in the country has been arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Twenty-two-year-old Daniela Vargas had just spoken Wednesday at an immigration press conference in front of Jackson City Hall in Mississippi.

Her attorney says a friend was driving Vargas from the press conference when ICE officials pulled them over on the freeway and detained Vargas.

Her attorney, Nathan Elmore, says that Vargas' earlier Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status had just expired and that his firm had already filed to renew it. DACA immigrants are people who were brought to the country by their parents when they were young children — often referred to as "Dreamers."

So much for a more tolerant attitude toward immigrants.

http://world.dailymetro.bplaced.com/latest/father-of-detained-dreamer-charged-with-immigration-crime

The father of a so-called Dreamer, whose arrest by immigration officials drew a national outcry, has been charged with entering the country illegally in U.S. District Court in Seattle....(The Seattle Times)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure but I believe this negates her "dreamer" status

Peter

Jeff Sessions.

Not difficult to imagine what Repubs would do if the roles were reversed in the same situation.

The US AG must be above reproach. Way above.

The US AG office should be pristine because at pillar of democracy itself.

The AG sets the law enforcement tone for the nation.

Last edited:
Europe would need a Trump too! Seriously, since even Juncker thinks openly about a Frexit, a Netherxit, a Grexit a whateverexit it´s just a matter that the EU consist just of a Union of the Gullible, I mean of the willingly, with Germany, Austria and Sweden. A Trump alike could increase the pussy-factor (sry hehe) of the EU and could support the renewal of the half dead moloch it has become

The US AG must be above reproach. Way above.

The US AG office should be pristine because at pillar of democracy itself.

The AG sets the law enforcement tone for the nation.

And WHO appoints the AG ?