Trading the E-mini

So the ones I use most commonly are:

RTH - Regular Trading Hours (this is the the timing for the US equities session for me (14:30 to 21:00 BST)
VPOC - Volume point of control (the price at which the most volume traded in the previous RTH session)
NVPOC - Naked Volume Point of Control (this is a VPOC where price has not been near since it established the VPOC = liquidity)
LVN - Low Volume Node (where few/no contracts traded)
HVN - High Volume Node (where lots of contracts traded)

ok cheers. Naked VPOC that could be misinterpreted lol

Complete ****-up today. Knew it was building for a trend day but the low volume going into the session made me suspicious.

Long within the first minute as soon as it tagged 77.50 (in at 78.50). The when it struggled to make it above 78.75, scratched the trade and reversed. This ended up being a 1.5pt loser. Then when it struggled around 81, went short again, only for it to build and take-off. Another 1.5pt loser.

Three losers and I'm done.

So that's how you ****-up a trend day.

0, -1.5, -1.5, net -3

Complete ****-up today. Knew it was building for a trend day but the low volume going into the session made me suspicious.

Long within the first minute as soon as it tagged 77.50 (in at 78.50). The when it struggled to make it above 78.75, scratched the trade and reversed. This ended up being a 1.5pt loser. Then when it struggled around 81, went short again, only for it to build and take-off. Another 1.5pt loser.

Three losers and I'm done.

So that's how you ****-up a trend day.

0, -1.5, -1.5, net -3

unlucky mate. The way I read the fundamentals today is that the markets didnt look especially weak after BB yesterday and he is likely just to confirm what he said yesterday hence bullish. We are currently hovering around the R2 and top of the IB so we are at a real decision point here. Will be interesting to see now if we continue to build above or inside the IB.

GL.

unlucky mate. The way I read the fundamentals today is that the markets didnt look especially weak after BB yesterday and he is likely just to confirm what he said yesterday hence bullish. We are currently hovering around the R2 and top of the IB so we are at a real decision point here. Will be interesting to see now if we continue to build above or inside the IB.

GL.

It was 150k contracts going into the session - that's not a market that shows conviction IMO. I can't see those sat on the sidelines pouring cash into equities today tbh. Vol is 675k contracts right now - you'd be lucky to see 1.5m by EoD.

It was 150k contracts going into the session - that's not a market that shows conviction IMO. I can't see those sat on the sidelines pouring cash into equities today tbh. Vol is 675k contracts right now - you'd be lucky to see 1.5m by EoD.

now looking like we could ride back down to R1.

-1.5, +3, net +1.5

Could see prior to open that 82.25 was an LVN worth watching, especially as it had been rejected in the European session. Conversely there was no sign of a sell-off emanating. Missed 2 opportunities to go short around 82. Then realised it was building for a breakout, probably for the NVPOC at 84.25 as a likely target.

Long at 81, bailed as it went offside. Long again at 80 and took it to 83. Didn't feel confident it would make it to the NVPOC.

Could have been a very good day had I been a bit sharper.

Good weekend folks.

+1 and probably done now.

Opened in and around 87/88 area but with a short term selling bias. Rejection at open around 90.50 gave me the signal to go short at 88. Watched it rattle around and then had a little sell-off. Seemed to struggle around 86 and had little confidence it was moving further. Was looking for more sellers to step in with a target in 81/83 area. Nobody stepped in, so I stepped out with 1pt in the bag.

ES Wednesday, there is a danger, of course, in fact it's highly likely, that even if price does drop to 1690 (daily pivot) it might bounce up from there
but i'll be looking to short from there with a first target at 1686 and then second target at 1683

alternatively, after two rather tight days, there's also a chance that 1694 might prove a springboard for a nice juicy long. If that happens, i hope Momentum carries it past 1703, so I could put my Stop there in the hope of catching a bigger ride.

well, that happened quicker than expected, which was nice :)

I'll risk a long from here now, 1683, with a bail-out at 1676 if I'm wrong

So long at 73 but it looked like it had further to go (there was an NVPOC at 71.25) so closed out for -1.5pts.

Long at 71.25 and got out at 76.00 as I thought this would be a safe place to get out on the basis it is an auction rotation upwards before it tries to go further south again.

Had it not pushed lower that 71.75 then I would still be long.

-1.5, +4.75, net +3.25.

Have a good weekend folks.

Seems like it has more legs on it that I anticipated. Ah well, that's the way it rolls some days.

Entered at 95.25 on what looked very much like an OTD that seemed to then stall at 98. Bailed at 97 for 1.75pts. Now looking for other set-ups to form. It may well run further but I don't trust it.

Two trades today:

-1.25 - went short around 97 thinking it was distributing downwards. Then realised it was T&P and should have been long. Folded. for a small loss.

+2.00 - went long at 97.50 when it tested down there for the 3rd time. Sellers looked like they had dried up. Just missed getting filled at 97.25. Out at 99.50 as it seemed to be struggling around 1700. Assertion for the trade was that it was going to go for the area where it was trading when NFP printed (return to the scene of the crime). but did not feel comfortable with this.

Net +0.75 for the day

Have a good weekend lads. Off on hols for a month now. See you in September.

Last edited:
So the one thing I don't like doing is playing catch-up after a holiday. After a month off, there was quite a lot of activity to trawl through and it took me a couple of hours this morning. Prognosis is that ES is on it's way back up on the long term now. Will be looking to get a suitable entry long when RTH opens.

Have created a dumping ground on the internetz for trades I take and can be bothered to write up. Just click on the date and it will take you to an uber-large screenshot with rantings....

robster970 trading

Not sure how long I will keep this up tbh....previous track record is not good on such things.

So the one thing I don't like doing is playing catch-up after a holiday. After a month off, there was quite a lot of activity to trawl through and it took me a couple of hours this morning. Prognosis is that ES is on it's way back up on the long term now. Will be looking to get a suitable entry long when RTH opens.

Since the 18th August, the market has been in an expanding range.

I wouldn't say at this point that the upside - ala poke up thru 1710 is assured by any means.