E-mini Dow or Mini-dow

HaloTrader

Established member
Hello.
I'm going to be going direct market access on the exchanges soon, i was researching the exchanges and i've noticed that on the CME exchange their is an E-mini dow and on the CBOT exchange the mini-dow...

The Dow Jones is one of the main markets i will be trading so i want to get this right... Which one is most traded? Why is there two?

I've heard most about the mini-dow so i assumed thats the main one but just wanted confirmation if possible?

Hello.
I'm going to be going direct market access on the exchanges soon, i was researching the exchanges and i've noticed that on the CME exchange their is an E-mini dow and on the CBOT exchange the mini-dow...

The Dow Jones is one of the main markets i will be trading so i want to get this right... Which one is most traded? Why is there two?

I've heard most about the mini-dow so i assumed thats the main one but just wanted confirmation if possible?

You ought to stop posting advice to people Halo, it's obvious you can't even figure out the basics.

1) Go to Chicago Board of Trade
2) Select 'About CBOT'
3) Select 'Organizational Profile'......surprise! :-0

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hello.

You're going off your head mate. How long have you been trading?

You ought to stop posting advice to people Halo, it's obvious you can't even figure out the basics.

1) Go to Chicago Board of Trade
2) Select 'About CBOT'
3) Select 'Organizational Profile'......surprise! :-0

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry, i know i'm being stupid but i looked into organizational profile and i don't see how that answers my question...
Please without sarcasm explain.

+ I acknowledge your advice :D haha

Thing is, i don't know too much about all the details in regards to the exchanges etc because i've just learnt to trade through books and then looked at charts. Now i want to take my methods of trading the 'chart' onto the exchanges and i'm yet to learn much about them yet - Which is exactly why i ask these questions...

Got to start somewhere in understanding it... Until i do i will just keep spreadbetting.

Im talking about all this trading futures straight through the exchange. You're really jumping the gun from spreadbetting demo accounts. I personally wouldnt dream of even considering such a move until I'm profitable (properly not £100 a week) for over two years and really have a sound understanding of how the market works.

Im talking about all this trading futures straight through the exchange. You're really jumping the gun from spreadbetting demo accounts. I personally wouldnt dream of even considering such a move until I'm profitable (properly not £100 a week) for over two years and really have a sound understanding of how the market works.

I've been live spreadbetting for a while now, my strategies are based on trying to get 10 pips at a time and i think this would be more effective dma.
I don't plan on going to futures until i fully understand it obviously, i'm trying to learn as much about it from the websites and futures books and forums as possible because now i've created the funds to trade direct, i would like to move my trading there as it seems more proffesional to me and i'm serious about trading :D
I'm not in a rush, its not like in the next few days i'll be moving over.... I wouldn't start without properly understanding everything or it would be like going back to my first day as a spreadbettor losing my money without a clue what bid/ask spread was! haha ^^

I want to trade futures, UK shares and US shares and forex - I feel moving on from spreadbetting, despite advantages and disadvantages. Is a more proffesional move in my trading career and will give me an added psychological edge in knowing that this is the real thing - No1 to blame but me and no feelings that i'm just 'betting'.

Last edited:
I've been live spreadbetting for a while now, my strategies are based on trying to get 10 pips at a time and i think this would be more effective dma.

Hi HaloTrader

Been there and done that! I traded 30CFD ($30 per point) on dow with a leading platform. My target was 10 points or better (usually 20points) and I consistently made profits for a certain period of time until I switched to DMA (mini-dow).

With YM futures, I started to see 1tick spread, pre-market moves, volumes and other 'sophisticated' measures that eventually took over my 'simple' 10 point profit system. The thing is I was trying to 'improve' with newly found benefits but it backfired albeit in a sneaky way. I felt I was learning a lot and started feeling like a pro. Believe me, once you are in DMA, your way of trading will change forever. But it took me years to pull together myself in order to get back on my feet. My sincere advice is don't get lost in the wonders of DMA that you'll eventually see yourself. Sometimes, it's like a magician. It can trick you do things without knowing yourself. If you stick to your winning system/method and use DMA as a tool, then it may improve your results.

lol all that chat and you're a bloody spreadbet dart-throwing punter. Yawn.

Awesome ?
1. Nothing wrong with spreadbetting if your profitable?
2. Not a punter, i don't punt or speculate. For me, its a business :) I even have a business plan.
3. I have specific entry and exit rules, money management, written psychology rules and specific setups i look for. I don't see how this is dart-throwing... Maybe i'm missing the 'secret' that all the other traders know :S
4. **** off you ********, all you say is negative sarcastic stuff. Everytime i post something you say something twatish about how crap i am ... Just get it over, seriously.

Hi HaloTrader

Been there and done that! I traded 30CFD ($30 per point) on dow with a leading platform. My target was 10 points or better (usually 20points) and I consistently made profits for a certain period of time until I switched to DMA (mini-dow).

With YM futures, I started to see 1tick spread, pre-market moves, volumes and other 'sophisticated' measures that eventually took over my 'simple' 10 point profit system. The thing is I was trying to 'improve' with newly found benefits but it backfired albeit in a sneaky way. I felt I was learning a lot and started feeling like a pro. Believe me, once you are in DMA, your way of trading will change forever. But it took me years to pull together myself in order to get back on my feet. My sincere advice is don't get lost in the wonders of DMA that you'll eventually see yourself. Sometimes, it's like a magician. It can trick you do things without knowing yourself. If you stick to your winning system/method and use DMA as a tool, then it may improve your results.

Thanks, very insightful - Do you still use DMA ? or have you moved on?

You honestly thought you could come to the forum and say 'screw all you holes, I'm going to be a millionaire' and not get laughed at?

"For me it's a business. I even have a business plan"... I remember when I was 5.

Thanks, very insightful - Do you still use DMA ? or have you moved on?

Yes I still do. Now I trade ES (emini S&P), NQ (nasdaq100), and YM depending on the set-up. They all move in a similar fashion but the degree of the move is not the same. Like I said, I have found more things but that also complicate the way I trade. cheers!