This is labour government

arabiannights

I am not going to waste my time here commenting on your comments....And that is it....

...Just keep at it...!

It would not be possible to make such a speech now in the UK.

True, but it would be a stupid mistake to judge his speech by the standards of our time. We need to judge it based upon when it was made. Much of the language would be highly inflammatory - to say the least - now. But look upon it from the point of view from when it was made.

I am certain there was no racist intent.

You can see the speech at: Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech - Telegraph

Anyone with a brain will see he was condemning neither any race nor immigration per se. He was slating what was occurring at the time.

Incidentally one can disagree entirely with his viewpoint without believing him to be remotely racist.

.....Anyone with a brain...?

....So are you saying that you have conquered the brain market...?

....??

True, but it would be a stupid mistake to judge his speech by the standards of our time. We need to judge it based upon when it was made. Much of the language would be highly inflammatory - to say the least - now. But look upon it from the point of view from when it was made.

I am certain there was no racist intent.

You can see the speech at: Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech - Telegraph

Anyone with a brain will see he was condemning neither any race nor immigration per se. He was slating what was occurring at the time.

Incidentally one can disagree entirely with his viewpoint without believing him to be remotely racist.

What I am saying is that freedom of speech no longer exists in the UK and here is a short speech by the former PM of Australia:

"This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have
sought freedom"

"We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you
wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!"

"Most Australians believe in God This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture."

"We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us."

"If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this
planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others.

"This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,

'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'."

Try repeating that little diatribe in Great Britain and see how long you remain free.

....AN

...Do not for one minute think that people are stupid or brainless, and that they cannot read between the lines.......as to what the whole issue regarding the speech was all about.....

...You may want to justify it....But it reeking with hate and racism....and that cannot be questioned or very conveniently - as you are trying to do - brushed under a carpet....

What I am saying is that freedom of speech no longer exists in the UK and here is a short speech by the former PM of Australia:

"This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have
sought freedom"

"We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you

"Most Australians believe in God This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture."

"We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us."

"If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this
planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others.

"This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,

'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'."

Try repeating that little diatribe in Great Britain and see how long you remain free.

There has NEVER been free speech in the UK. The only country who has ever come close is the US. But it's not ever been very close.

Honestly I'm not too worried about not being able to impose christianity on people, given it's obvious bull****.

....AN

...Do not for one minute think that people are stupid or brainless, and that they cannot read between the lines.......as to what the whole issue regarding the speech was all about.....

...You may want to justify it....But it reeking with hate and racism....and that cannot be questioned or very conveniently - as you are trying to do - brushed under a carpet....

This is the major problem. If you get a sense of Powell's other speeches you'll see he wasn't one for between-the-lines thinking.

Were some stranger to make that speech now you would be valid in drawing the inferences you're getting from it. I promise you in this case they are invalid.

There has NEVER been free speech in the UK. The only country who has ever come close is the US. But it's not ever been very close.

Honestly I'm not too worried about not being able to impose christianity on people, given it's obvious bull****.

The point is that he is able to say it without recrimination.

sought freedom"

'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'."

You are talikng rubbish..

The Law was made by Europeans, not by Aborigines....

...Who were the original people...and what right was given to them to make any form of declration..??

...**** all

...Stop writing ****...!!

This is the major problem. If you get a sense of Powell's other speeches you'll see he wasn't one for between-the-lines thinking.

Were some stranger to make that speech now you would be valid in drawing the inferences you're getting from it. I promise you in this case they are invalid.

....I indulge in more enlightened kind of speeches...

...He does not even appear on reading list....!

....I indulge in more enlightened kind of speeches...

...He does not even appear on reading list....!

I'm not suggesting you read speeches back from then except when you are insulting one of the best politicians of the era.

I cannot emphasise the last three words of that sentence enough. They are so essential to understanding.