The Journey from the Basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
china white said:
Unfortunately I am seeing some rather rude posts on this thread again..... Unfortunately because I enjoy this thread enormously and in all honesty think it is one of the best threads on our Forum.

Let me emphasise here my strong support for Socrates, Skim and other dark-siders who put their sterling effort into keeping this discussion highly professional. I wud be grateful to all if they cud contribute to keeping the thread that way in a professional (rather than rude) manner.

My dear China, I am reluctant to contribute any further on the basis that the audience want what you and I can achieve, but they do not want to have to do what we do. I have tried repeatedly to elevate the discussion to a higher level, and everytime it begins to lift some idtiot flattens it again. What is not understood because it is not accepted is that there are much higher levels
above what is mechanical, that ultimately make this a doddle. I am now bored with trying to make water run uphill, and you know as well as I do and(I have 2 star chamber members right here nodding) that you can take a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink. Have you got any ideas ?

darktone may i comment on this?

ppl do sometimes say unintentionally silly and rude things - and that is fine when u r on the floor. On the floor u can see the reaction before u finished what u r saying, and u can always patch things up straight away. even if something gets said, u can always come back to the desk an say something like "sorry mate that was silly of me, i'm buying u lager at lunchtime" etc.... u will actually score more points with the "lads" if u r capable of doing that on the floor and don't c*ck up again.

HERE it is very different. What is said actually gets printed. AND u don't have the luxury of patching things up on the spot.

Just be a tiny bit wiser. probably the biggest lesson i learnt on the floor is how to keep my gob shut when u have nothing to say. It is very easy indeed, however amazingly most ppl cannot do it. Those who can though become head of desks or "excellent traders" or at least "very nice lads to have on the desk". U c my point? Cheers

I too am fed up with the way that Socrates is being prevented from imparting his valuable knowledge on this thread. Therefore, take note, that any more attempts to disrupt this thread by rude, aggressive and spiteful comments will ensure the posts are removed and the posters banned. Please go and play elsewhere and leave this thread for those people who wish to move their trading up to the next level.

china white said:
probably the biggest lesson i learnt on the floor is how to keep my gob shut when u have nothing to say.
Hi,

After reading that, it reminded me of the following comment.

"According to Bill Lipschutz, out of 250 trades, three will lose you money, two will make you a fortune; for the rest, you should have been sitting on your hands."

SOCRATES said:
My dear China, I am reluctant to contribute any further on the basis that the audience want what you and I can achieve, but they do not want to have to do what we do. I have tried repeatedly to elevate the discussion to a higher level, and everytime it begins to lift some idtiot flattens it again. What is not understood because it is not accepted is that there are much higher levels
above what is mechanical, that ultimately make this a doddle. I am now bored with trying to make water run uphill, and you know as well as I do and(I have 2 star chamber members right here nodding) that you can take a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink. Have you got any ideas ?

Socrates,

There are many of us more silent ones quietly going trough your (and others) material and learning a lot from it. I have allready made observations in the last few days that I would not have been able to do just a week or two ago. And oddly enough, many of my observations have proven to be correct. My whole perspective of the market is changing and I feel like I am slowly beginning to see "into" the chart instead of looking "at it". No doubt there is a long way to go, but the most important thing for me is that there is progress.

Please do not get discouraged by some unfortunate comments. Thanks again to you, China, Skim and all others contributing to this thread.

Bungle

I have made my views known privately as seems appropriate. From a public standpoint I echo Bungle and deplore this behaviour. China - you are a wise bird as I have said b4. Skim - 100% behind you. Thank you Socrates for your knowledge, time and patience - I hope we may see more of it..

I have just come in because I am doing electrical maintenance in the
Star Chamber myself. I am not an electrician. And I have to do it in daylight.
I never trade on Friday afternoons, therefore I devote Friday afternoons to
odd jobs. It happens that the British Workman, bless him, has many very
worthwhile attributes, therefore I am willing to accomodate any minor fault.
I can tell all of you I am overwhelmed by your messages of support and
encouragement. I am truly astonished at your responses. I am truly lost for words.
But I can tell you this, nothing of what I post is nonsense, even if some of you do not
understand it fully. My most sincere thanks to all of you.
I make the committment that if you are ready to work ~
I am prepared to help you.

Oops, today is Thursday, not Friday, but in any event it does not matter, since opportunities present themselves daily, hourly, and by the minute. It is then for us to choose. We have the ability to choose. We spoil it if we abuse this ability by doing things we should not be doing as a consequence of not acting according to our reason. Reason is the result of the application of correct thought.
The application of correct thought is everything. Darktone, thank you I posted before I looked.

Ah ! I have just realised that if I have muddled the days and thought today was Friday,
then tomorrow is a Holiday ! Ha ! Ha! Ha!

Last edited:
Prepare Yourself for Trading Heights

THE PROMISE OF SUCCESS AS A TRADER IS INSIDE YOU.

Wot does this exactly mean? It means that in order to suceed as a trader, you HAVE TO FIRST UNDERSTAND YOURSELF, NOT THE MARKETS.

This begins with your personal goals and mission. In other words, you have to have an overall guiding purpose in life. Most people without any kind of purpose in their life wander aimlessly like a ship without a rudder and are blown around every time the wind changes. If this describes you, your chances of sucess as a trader are limited by your lack of defining mission in your life.

Your mission as a trader is totally and completely impacted by your life's mission or your life's purposes. Determining your overall life's mission is, undoubtedly, one of the most powerful and significant things you can ever do.

Powerful trading is almost all between the ears. That is, trading sucess is about 10% mechanical in nature and 90 % psychological. Anyone can learn the mechanics of trading.

MASTERING THE PSYCHOLOGICAL IS THE TRUE CHALLENGE.

I am v.v. keen, as well i'm sure are many others, to move onto price/volume analysis, but i hope the above helps people to understand the route that Socrates is taking....so pls,pls be patient

Finirama said:
THE PROMISE OF SUCCESS AS A TRADER IS INSIDE YOU.

Wot does this exactly mean? It means that in order to suceed as a trader, you HAVE TO FIRST UNDERSTAND YOURSELF, NOT THE MARKETS
That 's right - but it is not easy. That is why it requires work, I will come back later.

DrBungle said:
Socrates,

There are many of us more silent ones quietly going trough your (and others) material and learning a lot from it. I have allready made observations in the last few days that I would not have been able to do just a week or two ago. And oddly enough, many of my observations have proven to be correct. My whole perspective of the market is changing and I feel like I am slowly beginning to see "into" the chart instead of looking "at it". No doubt there is a long way to go, but the most important thing for me is that there is progress.

Please do not get discouraged by some unfortunate comments. Thanks again to you, China, Skim and all others contributing to this thread.

Bungle

Many thanks for your support. It is very much appreciated.

china white said:
Skim fully support it. Also, my full support to Socrates. Cheers.

Many thanks for your support, China. It is very much appreciated.

Rognvald said:
I have made my views known privately as seems appropriate. From a public standpoint I echo Bungle and deplore this behaviour. China - you are a wise bird as I have said b4. Skim - 100% behind you. Thank you Socrates for your knowledge, time and patience - I hope we may see more of it..

Many thanks for your support. It is much appreciated.

Skimbleshanks said:
I too am fed up with the way that Socrates is being prevented from imparting his valuable knowledge on this thread. Therefore, take note, that any more attempts to disrupt this thread by rude, aggressive and spiteful comments will ensure the posts are removed and the posters banned. Please go and play elsewhere and leave this thread for those people who wish to move their trading up to the next level.

Skim, many thanks for your intervention and support. It is much appreciated.

bracke said:
The Bramble

Thank you for finding the relevant post, namely 826.

SOCRATES

I have read post 826 which I understand ( I think you must have added a large part of it after I had originally read it ) I fully appreciate your approach.

Regards

bracke

Very good Bracke, well done, we will take this higher.
Many thanks for your support. It is much appreciated.

Bramble many thanks for your help in finding the post . Your cooperation and support is much
appreciated. Thank You.

Finirama said:
Powerful trading is almost all between the ears. That is, trading sucess is about 10% mechanical in nature and 90 % psychological. Anyone can learn the mechanics of trading.

MASTERING THE PSYCHOLOGICAL IS THE TRUE CHALLENGE.

I am v.v. keen, as well i'm sure are many others, to move onto price/volume analysis, but i hope the above helps people to understand the route that Socrates is taking....so pls,pls be patient

Finny, many thanks for your help and support. It is much appreciated, thank you.

It has come to my attention that the disgraced but able former Court Jester to the Star Chamber has engaged in a coverup. As a budding contrarian I say this is laudable - er sorry - laughable:LOL:

Attachments

• darktonecoverup.JPG
    darktonecoverup.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 336
GirlPower said:
I've been away for a week and it's taken me all morning to catch up with this thread.

What I can't understand is that with the exception of a very, very few, nobody seems to be getting it. Not really.

Or if they do, they're not letting on.

I'm way behind all of you in experience, but I can't believe there are so few who can or will post.

For a real newcomer like myself, I could do with all the help I can get.

There's a lot of meandering off into side issues and pop-art of Blake and Escher (which is nice), but it's completely lost on me in the context of trading. Lots of ego stuff which is boring and also in the context of trading, I would have thought quite dangerous. Some fairly flaky, airy-fairy stuff which would be OK on a New Age site, but not here.

Am I so clueless that these meanderings aren't making any sense as part of the overall picture, but should be, and are in fact vital in developing my trading skills?

There have been a number of posts by a few relating to what Socrates calls the 'mechanical' aspects of trading. These sort of make sense from a basic, trading point of view. And I find them quite useful, if worryingly simple. Worryingly in that if I find them simple, surely everyone else does and if so, why aren't they all already using them effectively?

And the lessons from Socrates which I'm trying really hard to master have taken me along many new avenues of research and introspection. These are clues to personal development of an extraordinary nature (if I'm reading them correctly) and appear to border on if not make deep incursions into what we currently feel are the comfortable boundaries of out existing and commonly held view of the human psyche and mind.

But in truly Socratic style, don't the students have equal responsibility to provide a basis for the teacher to teach?

This one thread has had over 1000 posts - over 50,000 views and apart from the few, the vast majority seem either unable or unwilling to put in the effort to sensibly contribute.

I know I stand the very real risk of being shot down for being new, inexperienced and perhaps a little cheeky in posting this. But if it's left up to the lowest in the t2w food-chain (me) to help in developing this thread to where it should be going, I think it's a real indictment of the more senior and experienced members and traders. Not to mention the fact that it will take an amoeba like me a million years trying to work things out alone.

Socrates has mentioned those on the sidelines or viewing from the balcony - please, come on into the discussion and help us all get to the highest level we can go.

Look, a novice, and she is pinning it .

Felicity, Well Done !

Very Good Indeed !

Many thanks for your support ~ it is very much appreciated, Thank You Felicity.

You are likely to go further than you imagine you can go. I perceive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.