textsize too small !

F

ford

Hi,

I have a suggestion or a problem to report. In internet explorer there are options in 'view' and 'text size' to resize text, well I have tried 'smallest' and 'largest' on T2W and they are both the same size.

I am finding the text too small to read, especially when there are long and detailed posts. It would be nice if you could edit the html to allow different text sizes, even if it makes the layout a little iffy! I'd appreciate it a lot, as I'd prefer to be able to read posts clearly instead of view a pretty layout. :cheesy:

If I were able to read T2w in this text size it'd be a lot easier on my eyes! :cheesy:

thanks in advance, keep up the good work.. it's a great website.

hi trader333,

Thanks I will look into that browser. I dont think its an IE specific problem, as I cant adjust the text size in Opera either!

Zooming is really a quick fix, the problem with zooming is that all the images become zoomed in too.. :(

Heres hoping that Sharky can fix it!

It's your font size on your PC then!!!

Change your font size on your Graphics adapter...(or screen resolution)

JonnyT

the font size on the site will be set by the CSS pages which are used to define the font sizes and styles for the entire site. Sharky can change the CSS code at will if he so chooses and up this font by as little as one pip, but I find it fine personally.

Fordy, I use IE2 as my default browser (although have Opera, IE6 and Mozilla installed too for web design testing purposes) and find it not only a teeny bit more stable but offers a few more features too.

I can't remember whether IE (standard version) has it but IE2 has a zoom page option that should, along with font size adjustments allow you to read the pages at a size that is ok for you. IE2 is a free download
from

http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

I changed my font size to 'large' in 'appearance' and the text here is still the same size while everything on my desktop exploded. ;)

I think rosso must be right about the css, because when I scroll through the text sizes in IE the font which I increased in size in my original post changes in size in relation to whether I select 'small, medium, large' etc but all the other text stays the same.. what a mouthfull!

Downloading IE2 now.. thnx for recommendations

Just spotted this thread. Rossored is quite right, the size of the text is set in what we call a "cascading style sheet" or CSS for short. Currently we use fixed sizes, so changing the text size in IE or whichever browser you use will make no difference. On my 1024x768 screen, I find the size of the text fine to read - but I can imagine on a larger resolution or for people who find it difficult to read off the screen, that it could be a problem. I'll schedule in a bit of time to see whether we can switch the size of text used in posts from being fixed to being variable (so although it will appear just the same by default, you can make it smaller/bigger using IE's size options).

That'b be excellent Sharky, thanks a lot.. looking forward to the changes.. I'm using 1280x1024 myself and I just find it too small. :(

Ford, I've now updated the stylesheet to use a relative font size rather than an exact one. If you set the text size in your browser you'll now see it changes the text size for bb posts, as well as thread titles and some other areas of the forum.

If anyway is using an older or non-standard browser and finding this makes the text look different to before (when size is normal in the browser), then please let me know. Otherwise it may be possible to roll this change out to other elements of the site.

Sharky,

Thanks for this new feature. I too was beginning to squint a bit at times. Perhaps the old age is creeping in. :eek:

I've found that the basic text size is now smaller than it was before. So the text beneath the Nick is larger than the text size of the posts.

Are you using IE6 Skim, if so what's your View -> Text Size via the menu set to? If it's smaller or smallest, it will appear like that, otherwise if not, I'll have to revert back by the sounds of it.

Hi,

The basic text size still looks the same to me, but the message text is now much larger and much easier to read. Thanks a lot.. :)

I'm using IE6 and my View is smaller. This is the one I use for all the websites, and only very occasionally do I have to change the View to medium (usually only on government websites) to be able to read text.

If I change the View to medium, then I see the text size on T2W the same as it always used to be, and it makes other websites look huge! LOL

I thought I knew IE6 until I discovered this option :Tools_General_Accessibility tab (at the bottom) and then under formatting ensure that "Ignore font sizes specified on web pages" is checked.This makes the largest even larger, for instance !

Just when you think you fix one problem, you end up creating another! I think the ideal solution is to offer two "styles" to members. I'll probably revert things back to the way they were so people can continue with the existing style if they so choose. The new style will be more concerned on readability than aethestics. I'll probably make the text default to large, and the width of the page stretch to fill however big your screen is. Users then have the choice of which they prefer.

I've reverted it back to the way it was, but we'll be working on getting the style chooser working this weekend - and that will hopefully provide a more robust solution.

Skimbleshanks said:
I'm using IE6 and my View is smaller. This is the one I use for all the websites, and only very occasionally do I have to change the View to medium (usually only on government websites) to be able to read text.

Skim, eat more carrots. Shouldn't have thought I'd needed to tell you that... :LOL: