Swing and Position Trading

1-2-3 Reversals

In my opinion the signal line is the most important and points to better reversals. The histogram does print divergence but i only take triple histogram divergence seriously. I found that the histogram can print divergence for a long time before the market turns. I only use the MACD to hint me towards a reversal.

I'll then use the 1-2-3 Reversal method to show me the entry zone. Not many traders realise that this technique is rooted in Dow Theory. I mostly use closing prices for this method. Some traders would wait until the intraday resistance was broken aswell. But my trendline and support and resistance line run through the prices at their close. This does help me avoid being stopped out as it's clear using this method that the trend has changed.

1. Downtrend broken
2. Retest of low
3. Break out above previous resistance

Result=trend now upwards

Check the example of a previous trade on RIO picture below.

Tech.

Attachments

• riochart.JPG
    riochart.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 357
Sorry for this almost infinite post!

techst said:
In my opinion the signal line is the most important and points to better reversals. The histogram does print divergence but i only take triple histogram divergence seriously. I found that the histogram can print divergence for a long time before the market turns. I only use the MACD to hint me towards a reversal.

I'll then use the 1-2-3 Reversal method to show me the entry zone. Not many traders realise that this technique is rooted in Dow Theory. I mostly use closing prices for this method. Some traders would wait until the intraday resistance was broken aswell. But my trendline and support and resistance line run through the prices at their close. This does help me avoid being stopped out as it's clear using this method that the trend has changed.

1. Downtrend broken
2. Retest of low
3. Break out above previous resistance

Result=trend now upwards

Check the example of a previous trade on RIO picture below.

Tech.

MACD is one of my favourite indicators. Actually I don't use indicators as my main tool, I still can't get a better reading than a classical and very conservative dow theory. I'm very old fashioned in that sense, I print my charts and I use pencil and ruler. But I've been studying indicators that feel to me clearly close to this kind of charting. I like very much a paragraph that Schwager writes in the new market wizards, (it's long, if you have it go to p.429). Basically it is something like: we're seeing the same, but through different instruments. When I like an indicator I enjoy finding the 'translations' between the indicator and my way of interpreting the market chart. It teaches me a lot. So I thought I'd share with you what I found about this one. Probably it's really obvious stuff, so forgive me if my contribution it's not very useful, but it's the kind of thing that once I understood I find 'beautiful'.

I'm posting the same chart, but I took it from metastock. I understand MACD as a special case of a big class of indicators, the 'price oscillator'. This consists of subtracting two moving averages, the fast and the slow. I don't know if you know about Raschke's system 'first-cross'. If you do, you'll notice that she uses a 'macd' with parameters 3 and 12 (I think). A price oscillator then is measuring the distance between these two moving averages. I'll take the case of a downtrend as an example, like in the rio chart posted by techst. So, to start we have a downtrend. This means fast ma below slow ma. If price changes down too fast, this is going to get reflected in the fast ma quite strongly compared to the slow ma, as the slow is making the average taking more periods, and for small swings that go more down than up you end up with the 'difference', that it went more down than up, but not the details of how it did it. During a trend we have secondary rallies and reactions, these appear in the fast ma. The slow ma is going to show the natural rallies and reactions (the grade of the reaction-rally will depend on which set of periods you choose). I'm looking now at what happens between points 1 and 2 of the chart. In point 1 of the chart we reached the top of the swing. The prices slows down, and before it starts going up we know that in normal market conditions is going to go down. The down swing starts. The fast ma moves quickly down following the price. This means, the distance between the fma and the sma increases. How much? A healthy much. It's not going to go down for ever. When the price goes back up, the fma takes this into account fairly quickly, and it first slows down starting to change direction, slows down and then starts going up. Now, what happens with the distance between the two ma's is clear from the chart. It starts to increase, it reaches a maximun, and then starts to decrease, (all this as a negative number because the slow ma is above the fast ma. In an up trend the same happens but in the positive side). So this translates in the macd as exactly that. Now, how do I translate a divergence? I'm looking now at the divergence techst signaled, this is, 2 and 5. In a price chart, the indication of a change of trend is a breaking of the pattern lower highs lower lows in a signficant way. This means, by the same kind of swings we're using to define the trend (same kind means same time scale I suppose). From the chart to me is clear that the swing 2-4-5 is something else. But, how does that 'something else' expresses itself in the language of the macd? The higher high 4 broke above the previous high 1, and it wasn't just a 'blip' of the chart, it was a proper swing that was built by consecutive bars going up. The fast ma now is including in the average bars that are higher than usual. So the distance between the fast ma and the slow ema, again goes from a minimun at the top of the swing (4) to a maximum at the bottom (5) of the swing. But now the absolute amount this distance changed it was smaller, because the fast ma is included this prices that are abnormally high compared to the previous swing, and to the other previous swings respect to each other. So this maximun separation distance that before was coming bigger and bigger or at worst staying the same, now is becoming smaller. So in the macd chart we're going to see a divergence appearing, and what it means is: this swing is different than the other, be alert.
Now about the signal line: I see the signal line of the macd just like an indication of 'curvature'. I hope I can explain my point. The signal line is a moving average of the macd line. So, it's an smoothing of this line, but it's basically the same line shifted that doesn't take into account the small blips. When the macd is going to turn, first slows down and then it starts to go up. The fast line reaches a minimum, and the ma is not there yet. If it is really a minimun, the macd (fast line) it's going to start going up, but the signal line doesn't know it yet, because it's averaging this only point with all the previous points. So the ma just keep going, and there you have the crossing, and that's the macd buy signal. (This is basically the same kind of thing that explains how dead and golden crosses work).

Now, I hope I didn't bore you too much, I just get into this stuff and I love it so much than I can't help talking and talking and talking! Well, anyway. After I understood this I found that I can choose very well different periods for the ma's and different periods for the signal line, and I know what that means and what I'm exactly generating by doing it. I also know when a signal is more of a false signal, and I can even see signals that would be there if I was using a tiny faster signal line but they don't show in my choice of ma's. I also can see how some signal can be generated and shouldn't be taken into account. I think it is a powerful tool. I still find it easier to look at the chart, but macd reinforces what I see.

So, sorry again if this is most basic for all of you, I think is worth posting because it wasn't obvious to me, may be someone else can benefit from this. And I can't shut up when I discover something, even if it is something that most people knew from the beginning of times!!!

Have a nice weekend guys,

Silvia.

Being a trader IS a solitary pursuit, can you imagine how happy I am of being able to discuss these things with you guys??? I can't discuss this stuff with anyone I know!

Attachments

• rio.jpg
    rio.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Really interesting post, Silviac.

Your chart rang a few bells so I scrolled back and here it is with a similar conclusion from a different perspective.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• rio.JPG
    rio.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 343
looks OK

Here's a chart of FP. ( it's not the best I've seen) but may interest some of you - it fits in quite well with the methods that's been discussed over the last couple of weeks.

- I'm waiting for an entry signal from the weekly ( sometimes watching the 3 day, to pre empt the weekly change) - I'll be interested in entering once the weekly macd ticks up twice.

then switching to daily for the breaking of the downward trend.

Will be watching FTSE carefully before making any decisions though -

Anyone seen anything else interesting ? - must be some good opportunities with the recent slump.

PS .. good post silviac

Rex

Attachments

• FP weekly.gif
    FP weekly.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 272
  • FP. daily .gif
    FP. daily .gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 309
Rex79 said:
Here's a chart of FP. ( it's not the best I've seen) but may interest some of you - it fits in quite well with the methods that's been discussed over the last couple of weeks.

- I'm waiting for an entry signal from the weekly ( sometimes watching the 3 day, to pre empt the weekly change) - I'll be interested in entering once the weekly macd ticks up twice.

then switching to daily for the breaking of the downward trend.

Will be watching FTSE carefully before making any decisions though -

Anyone seen anything else interesting ? - must be some good opportunities with the recent slump.

PS .. good post silviac

Rex

That looks a good one below 170. How are you going to play that- wait until it comes back to 170 and buy then?

I bought PRTY this morning because it is trying to break up. The spread on Fins is only 0.4 and I am slightly in profit already, although Wall St. might put the knockers on that!

Split

Attachments

• PRTY.gif
    PRTY.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 267
As you'v already pointed out will wait for a drop back towards 170, its currently at 172 - I'll keep watching at the minute. - and my PC is playing up - badly - reinstall windows tonight - not good

another one thats looking good is SHP - this may be worth entering once it closes above the recent resistance level.

Attachments

• SHP.gif
    SHP.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 289
Rex79 said:
As you'v already pointed out will wait for a drop back towards 170, its currently at 172 - I'll keep watching at the minute. - and my PC is playing up - badly - reinstall windows tonight - not good

another one thats looking good is SHP - this may be worth entering once it closes above the recent resistance level.

With Wall St looking so gloomy you'll need strong nerves to buy! I'm not too optimistic about PRTY now, as I was at lunchtime, although I see a promising pattern there in a happy DJ and Footsie atmosphere, which does not seem to be the case this week.

Good trading

Split

Rex79

With the dow and the ftse see-sawing your comment relating to ftse direction is key.

Would suggest that you are careful about false breaks but once the direction appears clear whether it be rise or fall - good fortune.

Regards

bracke

Rex79 said:

Good for a long or a short? That's the question! :D

I'm staying out at the moment, I don't know what way to run! SHP could be a good short just where you draw the resistance line, because you can get in with a very tight stop loss. At the same time, I think a rally is due after this big reaction, and the market is so volatile that I feel the risk of getting there is higher than what it seems... :confused:

Good trading guys!

Silvia.

Rex79 said:

Hi Rex79,

I'm not too keen on Shire but your FP choice is showing the same kind of bottom formation that PRTY did, yesterday. In fact, the picture looks nicer. A pity it did not go below 170, then you would be committed!

Nevertheless, one never knows how Wall St will go and it is Friday! I think that FP is one to watch. BARC is, also, looking a possibility. Haven't looked at all banks but, maybe, financials is a good sector to be in.

In any case, good trading and keep the stop where a loss doesn't hurt much!

Split

I recently was eyeing up FP. myself. But I decided that this one was to be left alone. It's easy to get carried away about what indicators are pointing to. And often find yourself just seeing what you want to see.

If you take a look at your first FP. Chart REX79 you'll notice triple MACD line divergence! That's what made me move on to the next stock on my list. Shorting stock is where the profits have been made for last couple of weeks now. I'd be waiting til the 12 EMA points up on your chart. I try to keep to the Elder rules on trading. Obviously i have my own rules too. But I find when I break these rules, I end up losing money.

Rex79 said:

Hi Rex,

after my previous post on SHP, I reconsidered the chart this morning. I posted here:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=214510&postcount=1251

Good trading!

Silvia.

a possibility for the Elder Fans

I was looking at the weekly LLOY chart, and have noticed some divergences existing in OBV and MACD Histo - could be interesting ( I'd be watching the resistance closely at the 4.70 mark).

Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• LLOY.GIF
    LLOY.GIF
    47.4 KB · Views: 288
Rex79 said:
I was looking at the weekly LLOY chart, and have noticed some divergences existing in OBV and MACD Histo - could be interesting ( I'd be watching the resistance closely at the 4.70 mark).

Any thoughts ?

I think in the weekly chart you're showing the trend is still a down trend. In the daily chart the price is going towards the 200-ema, what could act as a resistance. If I was to go long, I'd wait a little bit, I think...(Actually, yesterday I went short RBS, thinking that it was making a swing high. I'm still waiting for confirmation of this, we'll see). Respect to the divergence you're marking, I'm not sure I'd read that as being one...I use macd as a confirmation of what I see in the chart, so I can't say very much about doing things the other way round...

Good trading!

Silvia.

Rex79 said:

Any thoughts ?

I've been looking at the relative strength comparison with Footsie. That's quite a good indicator, if you can come to a decision on what Footsie is going to do :)

It seems to me that LLOY drops farther than the index in a fall, whereas other banks, such as NRK and III, follow it more closely.

The rule seems to be: When the FT is rising (falling) and the RS trend breaks up(down)- buy (sell)

RBS seems to follow that very well, Silvia.

Split

Splitlink said:
I've been looking at the relative strength comparison with Footsie. That's quite a good indicator, if you can come to a decision on what Footsie is going to do :)

It seems to me that LLOY drops farther than the index in a fall, whereas other banks, such as NRK and III, follow it more closely.

The rule seems to be: When the FT is rising (falling) and the RS trend breaks up(down)- buy (sell)

RBS seems to follow that very well, Silvia.

Split

What period do you use for the RSI? I think there is also different version of this indicator. For example in sharescope you can choose among wilder, exponential or simple. How are you constructing yours? (I wanted to send this as a PM because may be it doesn't follow the general line of the thread, but I found that you don't accept PMs...can I email you? I understand perfectly if you prefer not, really)

Good trading!

Silvia.
By the way: I got out of this trade when the price made a very nice higher low indicating a possible change of trend. I regretted so much not reverting my position!!!

silviaic said:
What period do you use for the RSI? I think there is also different version of this indicator. For example in sharescope you can choose among wilder, exponential or simple. How are you constructing yours? (I wanted to send this as a PM because may be it doesn't follow the general line of the thread, but I found that you don't accept PMs...can I email you? I understand perfectly if you prefer not, really)

Good trading!

Silvia.
By the way: I got out of this trade when the price made a very nice higher low indicating a possible change of trend. I regretted so much not reverting my position!!!

I don't like this idea as much as I did at the time! I don't use indicators based on back data so it would have to be based on what one thinks the FT100 is going to do. Even so, quite often shares do their own thing, i.e. RBS decided to fall in September when the index went up, quite a nasty fall, too, around 80 points. Also, on the yearly chart, RBS and Footsie started to part company with a vengeance as early as July, so maybe my argument should be left to one side!

Sorry, Silvia, we're going to have to go back to the drawing board.

Split

Splitlink said:
I don't like this idea as much as I did at the time! I don't use indicators based on back data so it would have to be based on what one thinks the FT100 is going to do. Even so, quite often shares do their own thing, i.e. RBS decided to fall in September when the index went up, quite a nasty fall, too, around 80 points. Also, on the yearly chart, RBS and Footsie started to part company with a vengeance as early as July, so maybe my argument should be left to one side!

Sorry, Silvia, we're going to have to go back to the drawing board.

Split

Well, that it didn't work once doesn't mean that in general doesn't work. I'd like to understand what you meant before and I still don't get it. May be if you give me the kind of rsi you were looking at when you notice that I can understand better :)

Good trading,

Silvia.

This has to be one of the longest threads on record....
Congratulations guys for keeping it clean and to the point, long may it continue.

I have been swing trading for some years as a further string to my bow of trading approaches never wishing to stick to one format for my income. However a book has been recommended to me from a rather suspicious source (one of those guys who insists on sending the latest trading holy grail system about), and rather than dump in my dustbin I wondered if anyone here had first of all heard of it and second had an opinion on it. The book is called 'Short Swing Trading - A Complete Swing Trading Strategy'. In my experience this means it definitely is not but thought I would post it in this discussion if any of you guys knew anything about it.

Thanks in advance.