stock market crash on the way spring/summer 2012?

Many blue chips have reasonable P/E ratios 10-20 range.It has Been four years since 2008, many companies have figured out how to be profitable in this economy.
Why the crash mentality?

Extremely light volume on the way up over the past few months. As long as the volume stays light I wouldn't expect much downward action, but if the volume begins to explode then you don't want to be the last one out the door.

Peter

PCY.TO Current price .40 cents

52 week low .37 cents it has hit .40 cents 3 times maybe in the last 2 years or something. The company owns 2 coal mines and is working to build a powerplant.

They are just getting started. Id buy the stock at .40 if I had money to do it. But 1 position im in now needs to climb abit before I can get back into prophecy.

DML was at $1.36 pretty decent price. Ive watched for a few years and it seemed the average was $1.40 a couple years ago and then it went on a run to $5 and then the tsunami happned in japan and price of uranium went down and stock dropped to $1 and then went to $2 and then the reported bad numbers and it dropped to $1.5 and now at $1.36 but again anything under $1.40 is a good buy for me.

This is for swing trading not long term. But PCY.To I can't see going below .37 impossible

Neither of those jump at me and I'd be weary of buying shares because they are at historic lows.

I don't believe coal is in much in demand for two reasons. First it is dirty energy and with efforts to go green and carbo neutral etc., it is not fuel of the century or likely to win flavour of the month competition.

Secondly and perhaps more importantly, bio-fuels are developed by big oil companies and more likely to benefit from the rise in oil prices then demand for coal.

There are other lesser factors like many countries have huge reserves of coal and I'm pretty sure a large number can produce the stuff cheaper than the Canadians.

I'm no expert but the fundamentals are ropey. Power Plant has some mileage but burning coal may have been a good idea but how long is the shelf life likely to be before it sees return on investment. Better to invest in new technologies like solar panels.

Only factor in its favour is if oil & gas prices go through the roof but as mentioned alternative substitute technologies more favoured.

My tip for you would be to invest in either of the following or all three;

GLW:US Corning Inc,
FDD:GR Pilkington Deutschland AG
NPEGF:US Nippon Electric Glass Co Ltd

Glass is the future - not coal :smart:

And where the hell have you been? Something better to do that T2W, Atilla? I should bloody well hope not!

And where the hell have you been? Something better to do that T2W, Atilla? I should bloody well hope not!

I've been here honest guv.

Noticed you've curtailed your T2W life too - so I guess either you've got exams or your social life must be taking off eh? :)

While the energy debate has some legs I would like to offer a real alternative.
While wind and sun offer a little hope of very small quantities of electricity I would like to recommend building a hydro-electric barrage across the Severn Estuary. This I am informed would provide 1/3rd of the UK's power needs !!

3 of the b*ggers and hey presto

problem solved

"Yep good idea as long as no drought in next 10 years ???"

The Severn estuary is mainly tidal

While the energy debate has some legs I would like to offer a real alternative.
While wind and sun offer a little hope of very small quantities of electricity I would like to recommend building a hydro-electric barrage across the Severn Estuary. This I am informed would provide 1/3rd of the UK's power needs !!

3 of the b*ggers and hey presto

problem solved

Unfortunately I think you will find that hydro-electric does not fit in with the agenda of the proponents of renewable energy.

bearish sentiment in the last 24 hours, spain debt not priced in, greece election called, people openly talking about the greeks planning a euro exit on the quiet, do it over a weekend with capital controls introduced. the way I see it is the market is fragile one bad news item could tip it over.

So I heard from reliable source that this kind of thing can happen on the markets and also that the US $ will not be in good situation in the second half of the year.

bearish sentiment in the last 24 hours, spain debt not priced in, greece election called, people openly talking about the greeks planning a euro exit on the quiet, do it over a weekend with capital controls introduced. the way I see it is the market is fragile one bad news item could tip it over.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and I have no long-term take - all my trading is intraday.

But the way I see it we're in a major bull market. The S&P has more than doubled since its 2009 lows. All along the way people have been pointing to (perfectly sound) reasons why the market shouldn't go up. The fundamentals are not good, that is perfectly true.

Those people have missed an amazing bull run - the chance to double your money in 3 years un-leveraged. If they were shorting, well, gulp.

We had a major correction last year, but it failed to break to big new low, and it has been reversed and more since then.

I see the real fundamentals as being different - rivers of money being printed, and inflation. As long as that continues, I'd be very wary of calling a new bear.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and as my trading is very short term I pay no attention to fundamentals. But just in my opinion, the chart and the fundamentals (what I regard as the real fundamentals) say there is more to come before we can expect a new bear market.

Last edited:
I'm not saying you're wrong, and I have no long-term take - all my trading is intraday.

But the way I see it we're in a major bull market. The S&P has more than doubled since its 2009 lows. All along the way people have been pointing to (perfectly sound) reasons why the market shouldn't go up. The fundamentals are not good, that is perfectly true.

Those people have missed an amazing bull run - the chance to double your money in 3 years un-leveraged. If they were shorting, well, gulp.

We had a major correction last year, but it failed to break to big new low, and it has been reversed and more since then.

I see the real fundamentals as being different - rivers of money being printed, and inflation. As long as that continues, I'd be very wary of calling a new bear.

I'm not saying your wrong, and as my trading is very short term I pay no attention to fundamentals. But just in my opinion, the chart and the fundamentals (what I regard as the real fundamentals) say there is more to come before we can expect a new bear market.

I hear what you are sayin. I suppose by stock market crash I mean I think the FTSE will retest the 4800 area (S&P 1300) by the end of the summer what will happen thereafter is anyones guess. I concur with the printing of money and the huge vested interest floating around this pushes up valuations but without sure footings. So we have this huge power struggle between poor fundamentals and the printing of money.

Isn't it company fundamentals we should focus on rather than government fundamentals? I believe companies have acclimated and adapted to this recession and are growing quite well while governments are deleveraging. Governments are the ones mismanaged with gowth in debts. Ultimately, macro economics wil create news to shake the markets with noise but if companies show growth the stock prices should quickly rebound and shrug off bad government economic policy.

Well if the companies are de-leveraging and govs are on the austerity train then what is going to drive GDP and/boost consumption spending? Personally I think that outside of rip-off utilities and oil, growth is only going to occur if companies can adapt to the new spending habits that I reckon we're gonna see over the next 4-5 years.

Possibility of a repeat of last year's performance? Strong uptrend up to Spring, starts to get wobbly, then excessive bearish sentiment in June, record July bull, then out-of-the-blue events get people jittery and one bad decision (US downgrade) makes everyone panic in terror.

It's like deja vu...

Well if the companies are de-leveraging and govs are on the austerity train then what is going to drive GDP and/boost consumption spending? Personally I think that outside of rip-off utilities and oil, growth is only going to occur if companies can adapt to the new spending habits that I reckon we're gonna see over the next 4-5 years.

smart chap you is. you think too much to be a tarder, it's enough to go with the flow.

Nah. I don't like risking money. I'm not sure whether I have a capital spreads account but it's my birthday at the EOM so I'll have a bash if I have and they credit me. Or if anyone else does. I have a lot of bucket shop accounts.

Nah. I don't like risking money. I'm not sure whether I have a capital spreads account but it's my birthday at the EOM so I'll have a bash if I have and they credit me. Or if anyone else does. I have a lot of bucket shop accounts.

alright sunny check this:

ETX Capital | Welcome

open an account, show them you have tarded and they will credit £50 after your 1st bet. you could just do a sitter on the euro init.