Spell Checker

counter_violent

Legendary member
Spell check button ABC is located above the smilies.

Please use it when making a new post (y)

Persistent offenders will simply have posts deleted ( it's quicker for us to delete than to correct ) :)

Attachments

• Spell Checker.doc
    1.2 MB · Views: 317
"Please use it when making a new post "(y)
This is a request. A reasonable one.

"Persistent offenders will simply have posts deleted" This is a rule. if implemented, one of the thread that I followed would have been decimated. Yet thread starter is a very helpful and thanked many times for the posts that had spelling mistakes in it.

Searchlight

:cheesy:
A tricky issue. I routinely use the spell checker function but, unfortunately, that doesn't mean that my posts are free of spelling errors. As for grammar - let's not go there - please! The site attracts many people from around the globe for whom English isn't their first language. I'm sure I'm not alone in welcoming them wholeheartedly and being willing to overlook poor english and sometimes dreadful spelling. The site is better and the community is stronger with their input than it would otherwise be without it. As Searchlight implies, trading knowledge and skill don't necessarily translate into grammatically correct and error free english. That said, I can't stand reading posts that are written like phone text messages, where no punctuation is used and the few complete words that exist are riddled with basic spelling errors. I'm going to sit on the fence regarding this issue, with one foot in each camp. It would be hypocritical for me to side completely with C_V, as I know my posts contain all manor of errors that those members who enjoy a better command of the language than me would regard as elementary and, perhaps even, unacceptable. Now, what must I do before I hit the 'submit reply' button . . . ;)
Tim.

"Please use it when making a new post "(y)
This is a request. A reasonable one.

"Persistent offenders will simply have posts deleted" This is a rule. if implemented, one of the thread that I followed would have been decimated. Yet thread starter is a very helpful and thanked many times for the posts that had spelling mistakes in it.

Searchlight

Exactly. VERY STRANGE "RULES". Especially since the spell checker won’t really no weather I mean two right whether or weather eye meant to right whether. Do ewe sea what I mean?

Mugabe :rolleyes:

Those with decent browsers on decent operating systems don't need a spellchecker, of course :)

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 247
Spell check button ABC is located above the smilies.

Please use it when making a new post (y)

Persistent offenders will simply have posts deleted ( it's quicker for us to delete than to correct ) :)

Your not really going to enforce you're new rule are you CV ?

dd

:cheesy:
A tricky issue. I routinely use the spell checker function but, unfortunately, that doesn't mean that my posts are free of spelling errors. As for grammar - let's not go there - please! The site attracts many people from around the globe for whom English isn't their first language. I'm sure I'm not alone in welcoming them wholeheartedly and being willing to overlook poor english and sometimes dreadful spelling. The site is better and the community is stronger with their input than it would otherwise be without it. As Searchlight implies, trading knowledge and skill don't necessarily translate into grammatically correct and error free english. That said, I can't stand reading posts that are written like phone text messages, where no punctuation is used and the few complete words that exist are riddled with basic spelling errors. I'm going to sit on the fence regarding this issue, with one foot in each camp. It would be hypocritical for me to side completely with C_V, as I know my posts contain all manor of errors that those members who enjoy a better command of the language than me would regard as elementary and, perhaps even, unacceptable. Now, what must I do before I hit the 'submit reply' button . . . ;)
Tim.

Hi Tim,

I just think the spell checker will aid those members who's first language may not be English...may even help with the grammer !

Your not really going to enforce you're new rule are you CV ?

dd

7. Posting Guidelines

7.10 Please keep your posts as constructive as possible and avoid making a post that adds little or no value to the discussion, for example "That's so cool." Poor grammar, spelling and misleading titles, make it harder to read the forums.

So when I get bored of correcting posts and particularly with repeat offenders...then yes I will be deleting posts.

What would you do ?

What would you do ?

I would use spelling, grammar, layout, spacing, paragraphs ( or lack of ), overuse of certain words or phrases etc as a sort of fingerprint to identify multinickers.

I thought that was one of the many methods you guys used...

or have I been watching too many movies and need to get out more ?

dd