Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

the spread issue only really affects very short term trades or the wrong entries

Yes, well said MC! So if a spread of 1.6 on EUR or 2.4 on EURJPY is an issue, SB just ain't the right tool in the first place. Moon, stick.

EDIT: and now you have SLM on iPhone so it's just getting better all the time.

Last edited:
I%20Want%20the%20Moon%20on%20a%20Stick%20Badge%20-%201%20fist%20of%20fun.jpg

Watch out !!!!

If your trading tonight I would use only mental stops or very wide stops.

Seems the Interbank are Stop Busting and that is not SLM. Bigger things going on behind the scenes so retail traders buckle up.
:sneaky:

Re: Watch out !!!!

If your trading tonight I would use only mental stops or very wide stops.

Seems the Interbank are Stop Busting and that is not SLM. Bigger things going on behind the scenes so retail traders buckle up.
:sneaky:

Eurozone crisis, Japan falling apart, Middle East falling apart, New Zealand earthquake recently, commodities surged lately, poor going hungry, well off feeling the pinch, the world's falling apart... and it's only March! It's really mental out there. :eek:

Actually I do have a moral conflict with trading somewhat... as people die and suffer and the poor get poorer we retail traders calmly try to make a few quid betting on the misery. I just hope people who win big in this game give something back. :(

Re: Watch out !!!!

Eurozone crisis, Japan falling apart, Middle East falling apart, New Zealand earthquake recently, commodities surged lately, poor going hungry, well off feeling the pinch, the world's falling apart... and it's only March! It's really mental out there. :eek:

Actually I do have a moral conflict with trading somewhat... as people die and suffer and the poor get poorer we retail traders calmly try to make a few quid betting on the misery. I just hope people who win big in this game give something back. :(

FX Traders for Japan Disaster Relief Donate at http://bit.ly/hwXBsq $$

Was that supposed to be directed towards me because you feel I was trying to ask for too much? I was merely sharing a concern, if theres something you need to say towards me, please feel free to tell me straight up or just PM me whatever you need to say :)

The reason why i posted MY personal concerns/opinion about the spread issue is because when you are trading with 10-12pip stops, EVERY small increase potentially increases your risk factor. Atleast for me it does. I understand about mt4 thats its fab being able to trade with this, but then thats not an excuse either for any broker to increase the spreads as some sort of premium just for using a platform thats a recognized standard with retail brokers.

ANYWAY, im not looking to get into a different discussion, I only wanted to know if anybody else was disappointed with the increased spread.

To pineapple: Trading IG has been fine as ive been with them for just over 2 years, I liked the idea of being able to simply pop open a web based ticket window and the ability to overlay this to the left of my Metatrader, and when its ready to place my trade, I can basically have ONE-CLICK trading :) and...On EU...I was able to get 1pip spreads most of the time which is awesome...With mt4, as nice as this is to use, its also a problem to take trades quickly because of the order window being large and bit tedious...(Yes, im also aware that scripts and stuff can be used to speed this up)

Anyway I think this will be my last post here as I dont feel anybody will understand where im coming from or agree with me on anything and I dont wanna end up in long debates.

Thanks for sharing experiences so far in the thread guys, much appreciated. But i think i'll take my leave and just keep things to myself now, was probably a bad move to try and share my concerns and opinion here in this thread. Sorry gents, please continue the discussion. Have a good evening fella's.

Last edited:
Was that supposed to be directed towards me because you feel I was trying to ask for too much? I was merely sharing a concern, if theres something you need to say towards me, please feel free to tell me straight up or just PM me whatever you need to say :)

The reason why i posted MY personal concerns/opinion about the spread issue is because when you are trading with 10-12pip stops, EVERY small increase potentially increases your risk factor. Atleast for me it does. I understand about mt4 thats its fab being able to trade with this, but then thats not an excuse either for any broker to increase the spreads as some sort of premium just for using a platform thats a recognized standard with retail brokers.

ANYWAY, im not looking to get into a different discussion, I only wanted to know if anybody else was disappointed with the increased spread.

To pineapple: Trading IG has been fine as ive been with them for just over 2 years, I liked the idea of being able to simply pop open a web based ticket window and the ability to overlay this to the left of my Metatrader, and when its ready to place my trade, I can basically have ONE-CLICK trading :) and...On EU...I was able to get 1pip spreads most of the time which is awesome...With mt4, as nice as this is to use, its also a problem to take trades quickly because of the order window being large and bit tedious...(Yes, im also aware that scripts and stuff can be used to speed this up)

Anyway I think this will be my last post here as I dont feel anybody will understand where im coming from or agree with me on anything and I dont wanna end up in long debates.

Thanks for sharing experiences so far in the thread guys, much appreciated. But i think i'll take my leave and just keep things to myself now, was probably a bad move to try and share my concerns and opinion here in this thread. Sorry gents, please continue the discussion. Have a good evening fella's.

9951712.jpg

HEY LEAVE THE LIGHT ON ! :p

WilteredFire: never once meant to offend you! IG one click is ok but I get that on MT4 using a simple script I drag onto chart - bang, filled. The slightly higher spreads you talk of are very very good still in the world of retail FX trading. Your stops of 10-12 pips are probably too small, but I dont know your method so I cannot say for sure. Certainly for trading retail FX spot 10-12 stops are very small. Considered futures? 1 pip spreads normally and no bad ticks taking you out.

Please do discuss and join in! The more we discuss the more we open our minds and find what we want and help others who havent had experience of anything.

JD has a wicked sense of humour thats all its his way LOL :p

No one is trying to shout you down. It is never a bad idea to share ideas and concerns.

Pine

I have a small account with smartlivemarkets which was severely dented after what we witnessed with the CHF volatility yesterday evening. I had a call from my account manager this morning advising me that several of my trades had been stopped out at a price lower than the offical low and hence offered to credit my account with all of the trades that were stopped out lower than the official low.

If your looking for an 'honest broker' then based upon my experience of smartlivemarkets you won't be dissapointed. A very prompt call this morning and account balance corrected. How many spreadbetting companies can match that for integrity and customer service?

Last edited:
Had last two pending orders filled then immediatelty deleted with comments no money, got the balance to cover stops so why , on eur/usd

Had last two pending orders filled then immediatelty deleted with comments no money, got the balance to cover stops so why , on eur/usd

Contact them and ask why, then come back and post if you are happy or not with their answer. Nobody here can answer your question especially with the details given.

worked out margin required not enough funds, used to ig index and was displayed clearer, understand minimum balance needed now , only using 10 p a pip so was just a bit confused what was happening

worked out margin required not enough funds, used to ig index and was displayed clearer, understand minimum balance needed now , only using 10 p a pip so was just a bit confused what was happening

If your trading live open a Demo account on your platform under add account. Then you can open & close trades that you plan to do live to see your margin requirment plus any ideas try there first :smart:

Just thought i'd warn people off using 'Smart Live Markets'

I've been using them for several months now to test systems. Why? Because their a spreadbetting UK company that uses MT4, has good spreads and allows bets from 10p (ideal for testing strategies).

So whats the problem? Re-quotes........dozens of them.......re-quotes on re-quotes........and if it's not re-quotes it's 'invalid price'............an example; today i enter a trade and decided to exit while still in profit, after 4 'invalid prices' and then 3 re-quote I ended up having to adjust a pre-set stop loss to exit (for -12pips). Thing is this isn't a one off. It happen's almost every time now. Yesterday I stopped trading because I had so many 'invalid price' quotes i couldn't enter or exit. To top it off i've moved my spread deviation to +5, still no use.

Anyone who wants spreadbetting with MT4 should open a free MT4 demo account to use for charting and open a Trade Fare, IG index, finspread.....i've used all with NO re-quote/invalid price problems

If you see this post on other forum's I'm not doing it out of spite (well maybe a little), i'm also not a competitor. I'm not after an arguement or a debaite. I'm just giving my an honest account of my experiences. Smart Live Spreads is crap!