ODL Markets

Problem Rectified. If this happens just clear out your internet Cache. Prompt and fast resolution from ODL.

A lot of people have been asking on here for a demo account. To be honest at 50p a flippin point on the FTSE you aren't going to hose money whilst trying it out. I find that the difference between a demo platform with play money and then loading your own money on to an account for the first time and trading for real are so different the Demo account is largley pointless.

I would rather ODL focus on improvements to the actual platform where I am using my own money, than to waste resource building a demo platform so people can play. If you can't afford 50p a point to test something out then maybe spreadbetting isn't for you
Well, I don't agree, people must feel at ease with the platform before trading any kind of real money. The SB industry is heading for the mainstream, a demo account is a must as I see it if you want to compete.

Last edited:
Well, I don't agree, people must feel at ease with the platform before trading any kind of real money. The SB industry is heading for the mainstream, a demo account is a must as I see it if you want to compete.

Have you tried any of these demo platforms ?? IG do a start at 20p a point deal before they jump it up to £2 once the trial period is over. Surely it is better to trade the actual platform than some crappy demo like capital spreads have.

IF you used a capital spreads demo you would never use the real platform, difference is VAST.

Let's be honest, if you get it wrong you get it wrong, it isn't the platforms fault, it's your own for calling the market wrong.

I believe a lot of the people who sign up to demos never get off them.

Have you tried any of these demo platforms ?? IG do a start at 20p a point deal before they jump it up to £2 once the trial period is over. Surely it is better to trade the actual platform than some crappy demo like capital spreads have.

IF you used a capital spreads demo you would never use the real platform, difference is VAST.

Let's be honest, if you get it wrong you get it wrong, it isn't the platforms fault, it's your own for calling the market wrong.

I believe a lot of the people who sign up to demos never get off them.
I still don't agree, ha ha! I said, for getting to know the platform a demo account is of value. I agree, on one thing, too much paper trading can in fact hurt your trading when moving to a real account. I use demo accounts constantly, when setting up my strategies. For example, trading CFD's on a MT4 platform, a demo account is essential.

How about reducing the spread on the Dow to 2pt, to be in line with A N Other SB co? Better still, make it 1pt and then you'd take everyone else's business immediately!

I guess you got tired paying IG's wide spread.:D

IG Excellent platform.....far better than you know who !! GLE :) In my opnion of course.

However, every now and again when you see an offer that smacks you in the face you have to give it a try. So far I'm impressed add the fact that the spread on the Russell has been clipped from 5 to 3 points thats even better and I am getting a 0 point spread on the russell. I would also add Customer service is very good and the guys there are very friendly. Please note I am not on commision......:) just giving my honest opinion.

Are the fills as fast as IG ?? No....but no requotes/no fills and I am paying a 0 point spread compared to a 2point spread over at IG. Must say I do use IG Charts still, the charts with ODL are pretty basic, but functional.

If you want 10p a point go to Finspreads.....:whistling. You'll see why their platform has 10p punters...Never seen a platform that takes 60 seconds to give you a deal ticket and if you don't act upon it in 180 seconds it CLOSES and you have to go through the whole debacle again.

I would rather have resource spent on getting more markets, improving the platform and THE CHARTING than spent on creating a platform for people to play with. I'm probably opening myself up to a barrage of abuse.

In my opninion 50p a point is next to nothing and if you don't want to risk that small size when trading with a ZERO point spread then you maybe in the wrong game. You are talking account size of less that £100.

IG Excellent platform.....far better than you know who !! GLE :) In my opnion of course.

However, every now and again when you see an offer that smacks you in the face you have to give it a try. So far I'm impressed add the fact that the spread on the Russell has been clipped from 5 to 3 points thats even better and I am getting a 0 point spread on the russell. I would also add Customer service is very good and the guys there are very friendly. Please note I am not on commision......:) just giving my honest opinion.

Are the fills as fast as IG ?? No....but no requotes/no fills and I am paying a 0 point spread compared to a 2point spread over at IG. Must say I do use IG Charts still, the charts with ODL are pretty basic, but functional.

If you want 10p a point go to Finspreads.....:whistling. You'll see why their platform has 10p punters...Never seen a platform that takes 60 seconds to give you a deal ticket and if you don't act upon it in 180 seconds it CLOSES and you have to go through the whole debacle again.

I would rather have resource spent on getting more markets, improving the platform and THE CHARTING than spent on creating a platform for people to play with. I'm probably opening myself up to a barrage of abuse.

In my opninion 50p a point is next to nothing and if you don't want to risk that small size when trading with a ZERO point spread then you maybe in the wrong game. You are talking account size of less that £100.
Yes very good, do give us a ongoing report on how it is to trade with ODL. I myself trade the FTSE quite a lot and are very interested to hear how it is working out. 0 point spread will probably not be around that long, but 1 point spread is ok if the platform performs satisfactory. Keep the reports coming.

To GLE101
Unfortunately ODL are unable to fix the problem of constantly being logged off throughout the day and the charts stopping.

Emess said back in FEBRUARY
"The platform locks me out after awhile. Got to close the browser and start all over again. I can imagine problems closing out position in a fast moving market."

Last edited:
To GLE101
Unfortunately ODL are unable to fix the problem of constantly being logged off throughout the day and the charts stopping.

"The platform locks me out after awhile. Got to close the browser and start all over again. I can imagine problems closing out position in a fast moving market."
I am sure ODL is working full time on solving this problem. The platform is quite new so there is bound to be some initial problems with it. Is it possible to be logged in on two different browsers? If that is the case, it might be worth a try.

To GLE101

Another suggestion. Try using Opera browser and set page update to once every minute. There is probably some server time out inactivity procedur, that is causing you to be logged out.

Last edited:
Another suggestion. Try using Opera browser and set page update to once every minute. There is probably some server time out inactivity procedur, that is causing you to be logged out.

Good idea.....Will give it a whirl.....

ODL say there is no inactivity timeout

I believe the problem is the following:

Your internet connection drops for a split second and the platform just logs you out. When I say the internet connection drops I'm not talking for long. But a for an extremely short period that you would not notice on your charts, email . However, the platform just logs out as soon as that connection is disrupted.

I don't seem to have too much of a problem when hard wired to my router. I get glitches when my gfriend first connects her laptop to the wireless network but after than it's pretty smooth. Largest problems are coming from my 3G Vodafone Data Card.

I would add that having used Capital Spreads, IG Index and Finnspreads I have not encountered this issue with them. In fact with both IG and Capital Spreads my connection could go down for about 4 minutes on the data card and I would still be active when the connection came back.

I will say this for ODL, whilst the problem is not resolved the customer service has been second to none and when you manage to stay logged in to the platfform the execution speed is excellent.

The big worry for me is that for the moment you cannot put a stop on the trade apart from the generic stop that's set automatically when you open the position. If the platform logs you out you are left with an extremely large stop order. You are hanging in the wind and literally anything could happen and it's totally out of your hands. Hence for the moment I am reluctant to try the platform at any size.

Hopefully this issue gets resolved sooner rather than later. The comfort I did have from using Capital Spreads and IG Index was that stop orders could be set and I didn't have A SINGLE occasion when either of them stiffed me on one. There were times when you I thought there is no way that stop has been taken because the market gaps but yes it was filled.