Spread Betting Firms Rankings

E*trade have tighter spreads than IG or ETX for everything I trade. Plus their order entry and execution is far superior in my opinion. Best SB broker I have used and I have an account with every single one.
Hi T_D,
Im currently looking to move away from my current SB broker. Would you recommend E*Trade to trade fulltime with? Any info appreciated.

Thanks

E*trade have tighter spreads than IG or ETX for everything I trade. Plus their order entry and execution is far superior in my opinion. Best SB broker I have used and I have an account with every single one.

Out of interest, which is the worst? Finspreads?

Out of interest, which is the worst? Finspreads?

Definitely, unless they've improved in the the two years since I stopped using them.
I'd also nominate CMC for having helpdesk operatives who apparently don't know how their order system works, ODL for Slowest/Most Unstable Platform, while Worldspreads and GFT share the Consistently Ignoring E-mails honours.:clap:

Thanks T_D,
Are you using E*Trade for all your trades?
Also who would you recommend 2nd and 3rd after E*Trade?

Thanks

Shorts and longs let you use unrealised profit as margin which very few companies allow you to do and which is a very, very powerful weapon for the trader. Also, all stops are guaranteed which is good - particularly as it means margin requirement is minimal. Nice simple platform and excellent execution. Major downside is no order entry system. Limited markets (e.g. no cash FX) They also have no charting or news etc

IG were OK. However, they didn't have some of the markets I wanted (e.g. US 10 year and Wheat) plus I hate the fact that you have to define your stop in number of pips / ticks rather than a specific price when you first place your order.

VDM Spreads have got some good account features (e.g. they chart your P&L equity curve) and have tight spreads and a good choice of markets. Little features were impressive (such as the automatic conversion of your stake size into contract/cash equivalent - somewhat useless as far as I'm concerned but interesting) They have a good order entry system too. Major disadvantage for me was the slippage I got on almost every trade at even very low stakes (e.g. £1 a point) in markets that you would not expect slippage on. (e.g the Bund). Slippage ranged from 1-2 pips/ticks on most trades down to 33 pips on one. (it was news but I absolutely know they could have got me out faster). Also, had a stop disappear once. Alarming stuff. However, good customer service in their defence.

ETX were good. Didn't have any problems with them at all.

Finspreads were pretty bad. Slow execution. Orders disappeared a couple of times. Their charts work off the mid-price which annoys me greatly. Margin requirements are very high.

Just testing CMC now. I already have a major problem with them in that they won't let you place orders near to the market. (e.g. several full points away in Corn which I find ridiculous) I really like their platform though. It's the most professional looking one I have used.

Also testing Tradefair. Looks and feels like E*Trade (Capital Spreads). Love it so far.

Last edited:
I have a lot of time for S&L also. Tight spreads on oil I noticed, alhough not checked recently.

As far as I can tell, Interactive Investor also allow you to use unrealised profit as margin.
Stops are not all guaranteed, and guaranteed stops are at a premium.
So far though (early days) I have nothing to complain about there.

Last edited:
Shorts and longs let you use unrealised profit as margin which very few companies allow you to do and which is a very, very powerful weapon for the trader. Also, all stops are guaranteed which is good - particularly as it means margin requirement is minimal. Nice simple platform and excellent execution. Major downside is no order entry system. Limited markets (e.g. no cash FX) They also have no charting or news etc

IG were OK. However, they didn't have some of the markets I wanted (e.g. US 10 year and Wheat) plus I hate the fact that you have to define your stop in number of pips / ticks rather than a specific price when you first place your order.

VDM Spreads have got some good account features (e.g. they chart your P&L equity curve) and have tight spreads and a good choice of markets. Little features were impressive (such as the automatic conversion of your stake size into contract/cash equivalent - somewhat useless as far as I'm concerned but interesting) They have a good order entry system too. Major disadvantage for me was the slippage I got on almost every trade at even very low stakes (e.g. £1 a point) in markets that you would not expect slippage on. (e.g the Bund). Slippage ranged from 1-2 pips/ticks on most trades down to 33 pips on one. (it was news but I absolutely know they could have got me out faster). Also, had a stop disappear once. Alarming stuff. However, good customer service in their defence.

ETX were good. Didn't have any problems with them at all.

Finspreads were pretty bad. Slow execution. Orders disappeared a couple of times. Their charts work off the mid-price which annoys me greatly. Margin requirements are very high.

Just testing CMC now. I already have a major problem with them in that they won't let you place orders near to the market. (e.g. several full points away in Corn which I find ridiculous) I really like their platform though. It's the most professional looking one I have used.

Also testing Tradefair. Looks and feels like E*Trade (Capital Spreads). Love it so far.

TD

IG has all these markets but u should contact the helpdesk so they add all soft commodities and US t notes to your account , they have cotton , rice , orange juice , Arabica C , wheat and others and they offer the whole session ( Electronic and open outcry ) . But they have wide spreads on the T notes = 8 decimalised points ! . Also they have have wide spreads on the un popular commodities . But i like the idea that they offer the overnight session for these commodities ...

Tradefair: Had been using this quite satisfactorily for the past few months. Got a shock today when I saw they have put min ticks away rule (30 ticks for FTSE!!!!) for putting in stop/limit orders..

Ridiculous!

Taking my money out... think will give Etrade a try next....

re. VDM, some of the slippage seems to be the result of their variable spreads. Interestingly (and confusingly), GFT has just announced a similar system; eg, cash UK100 spread now quoted as 1-6, DAX 1-10, which looks like an excuse to give the worst possible prices.

'Please note, these indices have always offered variable spreads and have not changed. We have simply updated the way in which they are displayed on the MIS. Typically, we offer tighter spreads when the underlying corresponding futures market is open.'

There was never any mention of variable spreads before!

Update on Interactive Investor (iii): Now I do have a complaint: the platform went AWOL half-way through the morning and is still not back. And now I think, this happened last week in the afternoon one day.

hm...