my journal 3

Whoa... they added four new exercises, I did all of them, plus I did three of them on derivatives (but I went too fast and now I am confusing the rules), plus all the review exercises they threw at me today... and now I am finally done for the day:

Snap1.jpg

7 exercises to go, 256 done, and 97% of work done.

Last edited:
weekly update (forward-testing)

As mentioned before, the 50 systems we were trading and stopped trading on September 26th, the lowest day during the drawdown, have resumed their rise:

Snap1.jpg

I might monitor them for another month (of course I know exactly which ones they are, so I'll be able to check on them at any time in the future), until I resume my real trading (with a different portfolio), but this is probably the last update on it I'll post on this journal, because there's no point. My hypothesis is being confirmed (nothing is sure or final in this field of course) and that is that we wrongly assessed, by far, the potential drawdown, but those 50 systems are by no means unprofitable. Enough has been said about the causes of the wrong assessment of potential drawdown (curve-fitting in the evaluation of the historical performances of potential portfolios).

Four exercises done today (they added two new ones), five more to go, for a running total of 260 done in the last two months:

Snap1.jpg

Whether by understanding all the implications of the formulas (as I'd like to do), or by understanding just how the formulas work (memorization I'd like to avoid), I have now developed the confidence that I'll be able to finish all the exercises (the last 5 are the hardest, because I postponed the ones I couldn't do). Then I will need to spend weeks reviewing, because before moving on I want to make sure I understand much more, about the cartesian coordinate system in particular (and derivatives, and related matters). Whenever possible, I don't want to just understand how to use the formulas, but also why the formulas work.

Then I'll probably move on to probability. I don't know on which web site yet, because there's no other places such as khan academy. But what mattered was building up some confidence in my math skills. Still working on that, but I definitely got started.

I went from an attitude of fear and rejection for formulas (I didn't have problems with excel's simple functions of course, nor with the simple visual basic and easylanguage i needed to code my systems) to an attitude of "I'll understand it little by little". As long as there's no phobia, by studying, your understanding can only improve. So what matters is getting rid of that fear, that makes you feel from the start that you will not figure it out. Because that's when you stop reasoning, and no improvement can happen (self-fulfilling prophecy).

Removing that fear for math and formulas can only be done by practice - it doesn't matter if you start by doing 1 plus 1 equals two. And khan academy was great at providing, simultaneously, practice and theory, in small doses, so to build up my confidence. It made me restart at elementary school and then brought me to the end of highschool, which is what I needed not just in terms of knowledge but also in terms of confidence. I have figured out how to do a lot of things, but especially I have figured out that if I practice I get better, and if I apply myself I can figure things out. So it taught me things, and in the process it also taught me that I am capable of learning things, which is maybe even more important than the things it taught me. Also, the charts were very useful, because they remind you, when you're stuck with a difficult problem today, that you've managed to do at least one new exercise per day in the previous weeks, so this automatically tells you that if you try, you'll be able to figure it out. In a disorganized curriculum, you'd say "this is too hard, I can't do it" and quit. But with 260 exercises on your back, you say "if I did the previous exercises, I'll be able to figure out this one as well".

[...]

The good thing I find with Khan Academy is that they stop right when things become useless for me, and abstruse. I was watching the video about L'Hôpital's rule, here, and found myself wondering first of all "what the **** does this mean?" and second of all "what the **** do I need this for?". And the answer is "little by little I will understand it" but also "it doesn't matter". And this is the good point about khan academy: it is my last exercise, or rather it is one of the last (five) exercises, and the material already covered is more than enough to build solid foundations for my portfolio theory (though not enough yet, because I need more knowledge in probability and statistics). The moment you start wondering what things mean and what they are for, is the moment you should stop studying, especially if, like me, you're not in school and no one is making you do this, and the great thing about khan academy is that they made me think this way ("what do i need this for?") very little and the abstruse and useless material is very little. Of course this khan guy aced all this material at MIT and before even, maybe by the age of 15, and he went on to be a fund manager, and all that he became, but all this doesn't matter: I know that i don't need this for my purposes. What i have is enough. But for some better portfolio theory, in order to manage a portfolio of several systems more effectively, I want to build some solid math foundations. I want and I need to do so, in order to be effective and not do things by rule-of-thumb. This doesn't mean I have to cover L'Hôpital's rule, and similar. I will cover it just to complete the material covered at khan academy, but most likely I will never need it. So all i am saying is that I am glad that I am almost done with all the material as I realize that I could not have gone much further in terms of learning things without knowing the purpose. Other things are sine and cosine and the unit circle, and anyway... they manged to make it as pleasant as possible, certainly much more than in highschool, but I am glad that I am done. Not that I won't review everything until it's all perfectly clear, because I will, despite not loving the unit circle. But even with my best efforts I could not have taken much more of this.

All I actually needed was to build stronger foundations on equations, and Cartesian geometry, but also reviewing everything and building confidence in my willingness to work and ability to study math was important. Pretty soon I'll be able to move on to probability/statistics and then later to portfolio theory. I don't even know exactly what I am lacking to be able to understand the formulas (and the concepts) on this paper by Markowitz. But I know I am going in the right direction.

Last edited:
Ok, mechanically and by memorization, however reluctantly, I finished it. The one about L'Hôpital's rule.

Now I only have 4 to go:
Snap1.jpg

There'll be time later to figure out all these abstruse things in detail and what they mean. I'll read up on them from other web sites.

Ok, 2 more exercises to go. Now that I am practically done, I will take a few days off to review all material, and understand it fully, trying to avoid memorization. I will try to figure everything out, so that I don't need to remember formulas, or as little as possible.

Snap1.jpg

So it might take me more than two days to finish these last two exercises. Also because one of them comprises about 100 problems (rather than the usual 9 problems per exercise). And besides, I deserve some rest.

Last edited:
Interesting movie (somewhat trading-related), even though not too engrossing:
Watch Margin Call online - download MarginCall - on 1Channel | LetMeWatchThis

Very good performances by almost all actors, unexpectedly, for a big budget movie like this one. Meaningful and realistic dialogues. It makes its points, without abusing stereotypes. This is just as good if not better than Wall Street. Better. It doesn't set out to say/show too much (no romance, for example), and does it clearly and coherently. Its only flaw is that it wasn't too entertaining. Maybe that's what happens when you don't overdo things, as you would if Tom Cruise was acting in it.

Last edited:
etymology of "sine"

No wonder the word "sine" didn't make any sense to me... in my efforts to understand the relationship between its etymology and its meaning:
History of trigonometry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Our modern word "sine", is derived from the Latin word sinus, which means "bay", "bosom" or "fold", translating Arabic jayb. The Arabic term is in origin a corruption of Sanskrit jīvā "chord". Sanskrit jīvā in learned usage was a synonym of jyā "chord", originally the term for "bow-string". Sanskrit jīvā was loaned into Arabic as jiba.[1][2][clarification needed] This term was then transformed[2] into the genuine Arabic word jayb, meaning "bosom, fold, bay", either by the Arabs or by a mistake[1] of the European translators such as Robert of Chester (perhaps because the words were written without vowels[1]), who translated jayb into Latin as sinus.[3] Particularly Fibonacci's sinus rectus arcus proved influential in establishing the term sinus.[4]

Similar mistakes happened for the words "zero" and "algorithm":
0 (number) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Online Etymology Dictionary

That's because all these words and concepts came from India or Persia, passing through the arabs. It's like when you go to the States and they talk about pastrami and pepperoni and in Italy we don't have anything like that:
Pastrami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pepperoni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ok, definitely done for the day:
Snap1.jpg

I managed to finish yet another exercise (which consisted of over 50 questions), so now there's only one missing before finishing all 268 exercises, and this is the hardest one for me:
Kinematic equations | Khan Academy

Last edited:
Damn.

Snap1.jpg

This on kinematic equations is really the toughest exercise I've come across so far, and it's the last one, too:
http://www.khanacademy.org/exercise/kinematic_equations

I spent two hours trying to finish all 9 questions or more, because if you get one wrong, it doesn't let you through unless you are correct on 15 out of 15 questions in a row (what I call "exercise" is actually a set of 9 exercises or more, depending if you make mistakes). This one requires a level of comprehension and abstraction that I am far from having. Despite watching the explanatory videos, and helping myself with excel, I could only complete 7 exercises in a row (after getting some of them wrong), before having to give up because now I have to go to bed.

Of course I won't stop at the 268th exercise of 268, so sooner or later I will finish it and complete this "math course". Then I'll start reviewing things until I am really confident about everything that I covered. Then later, I'll try to approach the branch of probability and statistics and all that crap that hopefully will enable me to understand portfolio theory.

Last edited:
difference between probability and statistics

I was wondering if these two overlap or what. Since I will soon have to study them for my purposes, I want to know exactly what I have ahead of me.

So here's my little web search.

What is the difference between probability and statistics
Probability deals with predicting the likelihood of future events
Statistics involves the analysis of the frequency of past events

Probability is primarily a theoretical branch of mathematics, which studies the consequences of mathematical definitions
Statistics is primarily an applied branch of mathematics, which tries to make sense of observations in the real world

Probability theory enables us to find the consequences of a given ideal world
Statistical theory enables us to measure the extent to which our world is ideal
This is one awesome link, right there. I think I will need both, but for portfolio theory I will need more probability, because I want to know how likely is the goddamn risk of ruin, which keeps on persecuting me (because I push my risk, because I want money).

Another important distinction they make is theoretical (probability) vs applied (statistics) mathematics. In a way we could sum it up by saying that you use statistics to verify if you had your probability right. And I could say that from my statistics I had my probability theory wrong.

But let's keep browsing, even though the link above says it all.

Now some quotes from here:
What's the difference between probability and statistics?

In probability, we start with a model describing what events we think are going to occur, with what likelihoods...
[...]

The statistician turns this around:

1. Rules ← data: Given only the data, try to guess what the rules were. That is, some probability model controlled what data came out, and the best we can do is guess — or approximate — what that model was. We might guess wrong; we might refine our guess as we get more data.
  2. Statistics is about looking backward.
  3. Statistics is an art. It uses mathematical methods, but it is more than math.
  4. Once we make our best statistical guess about what the probability model is (what the rules are), based on looking backward, we can then use that probability model to predict the future. (This is, in part, why I say that probability doesn't need statistics, but statistics uses probability.)
[...]
Rule 4 describes what my job as a system trader should be. To identify the the "probability model" based on past statistics, and use it to predict future probability. Of course I've been doing these things all along (badly), but it helps to know where I am standing, and what I am doing, objectively. So I know where to find help.

John Kerl, the author I just quoted, also says:
Here's my favorite example to illustrate. Suppose I give you a list of heads and tails. You, as the statistician, are in the following situation:

• You do not know ahead of time that the coin is fair. Maybe you've been hired to decide whether the coin is fair (or, more generally, whether a gambling house is committing fraud).
  • You may not even know ahead of time whether the data come from a coin-flipping experiment at all.

Suppose the data are three heads. Your first guess might be that a fair coin is being flipped, and these data don't contradict that hypothesis. Based on these data, you might hypothesize that the rules governing the experiment are that of a fair coin: your probability model for predicting the future is that heads and tails each occur with 50% likelihood.

If there are ten heads in a row, though, or twenty, then you might start to reject that hypothesis and replace it with the hypothesis that the coin has heads on both sides. Then you'd predict that the next toss will certainly be heads: your new probability model for predicting the future is that heads occur with 100% likelihood, and tails occur with 0% likelihood.

If the data are “heads, tails, heads, tails, heads, tails”, then again, your first fair-coin hypothesis seems plausible. If on the other hand you have heads alternating with tails not three pairs but 50 pairs in a row, then you reject that model. It begins to sound like the coin is not being flipped in the air, but rather is being flipped with a spatula. Your new probability model is that if the previous result was tails or heads, then the next result is heads or tails, respectively, with 100% likelihood.

Here's more from another web site (it's a physics forum, physicsforums.com):
difference in probability and statistics?
I think the distinction you want is that probability theory is pure math, while statistical theory is applied math. Statistics is the application of probability theory to the real world; It's a science, like physics, where you gather data, perform experiments, make predictions, and so on. So just as a physicist might use calculus to predict the path of a moving object, a statistician might use probability theory to predict the weather.

Very good. It repeats the concept of theoretical vs applied. Statistics is the practical use of probability. I'll need both. It's getting clearer and clearer.

I like these replies, too (from the same web site - always the case unless I provide a new link):
Simply put, probability deals with what SHOULD occur, statistics deals with what HAS occurred. It's simply a matter of when.

In a certain sense, probability and statistics are opposites. Probability starts from a given probability distribution, with given parameters, and gives the chances that a specific outcome with happen. Statistics start with specific outcomes (the sample) and gives the parameters for the probability distribution.

New website:
What's the difference between probability and statistics?
In these notes I view Probability as a predictive science analogous to Physics.

The focus of Statistics (as an intellectual discipline) is on using quantitative data to try to answer questions you don't know yet know the answer to.

Another website:
teaching - What's the difference between probability and statistics? - Statistical Analysis - Stack Exchange
...the problems considered by probability and statistics are inverse to each other. In probability theory we consider some underlying process which has some randomness or uncertainty modeled by random variables, and we figure out what happens. In statistics we observe something that has happened, and try to figure out what underlying process would explain those observations.

Amazing. This point keeps getting made: we use statistics to look for probability model that produced those statistics, in order to make predictions about future statistics.

In fact this is what I've always been doing with my trading systems. I look at the back-testing, see how well they did, look at the out-of-sample, look at the forward-testing (three different types of data from the past, in order of increasing reliability: in-sample, out-of-sample, forward-testing), and then assess, by rule-of-thumb, the probabilities for the future. By rule of thumb, I've always noticed and said that they will perform a bit worse, but I have always been far from knowing a formula that defines how far they will be.

Anyway, let's keep searching for more quotes on the web, regarding the difference (and later the relationship) between probability and statistics.

Main Difference Between Probability and Statistics? - Yahoo! Answers
There is a lot of overlap. They are both studies of randomness, but they approach it from different perspectives. Probability generally deals with simple random events, statistics deals with complex real-world events that aren't completely understood. Probability is more math-flavored, statistics is more engineering-flavored. I also think statistics is a little more difficult, but that's just an opinion.

A simple probability problem would deal with uniform distribution, such as drawing a card from a perfectly shuffled deck. A simple statistics problem deals with random numbers that more difficult ( or impossible) to predict, such as the average height of a group of people.

I think a big part of the fear and confusion of these subjects lies in notation difficulties. You are required to use parameters, constants, and more than one type of variable all at once. It's easy to get confused if you don't understand what's happening very clearly. And teachers unfortunately tend to give formulas instead of explaining in clear language. But that's only a part of the reason...

Don't forget that these sciences are studying the future and hypothetical situations, which are always tinged with emotion and confusion. Consider gambling and investments.

There are also some mild controversies over probability and statistics. How can you know for sure that a deck is perfectly shuffled? What does that even mean? How can you measure the amount of randomness in an event? Can you claim that a certain event has a certain probability distribution, if you never actually measure it an infinite number of times?

Here's another one from another Yahoo! Answers thread:
What is the difference between Probability and Statistics? - Yahoo! Answers

This is the "best" answer (chosen by Voters):
Probability is an assumption theory based on some fact or data which may not be necessarily true.
Statistics contains authentic data through which a fair analysis can be made as to the chances of getting things done.

But this is even better:
Probability is the foundation of inferential statistics.
There are two branches of statistics - descriptive and inferential.
Descriptive statistics does not require a working knowledge of probability.
The concept of probability is well defined, more so than that of statistics.

Statistics is descriptive and inferential.
Probability is neither.
So I definitely will have to cover inferential statistics.

Here's one more question I searched for: what is the relationship between the two. I only found this good link:
Probability and Statistics

Probability can be viewed either as the long-run frequency of occurrence or as a measure of the plausibility of an event given incomplete knowledge - but not both.
Statistics are functions of the observations (data) that often have useful and even surprising properties.
[...]
From the observations we compute statistics that we use to estimate population parameters, which index the probability density, from which we can compute the probability of a future observation from that density.

Last edited:
done

Done. I finished even the last exercise on kinematic equations.

done.jpg

Yeah. I'm impressed with myself. I've been very consistent. The chart above only shows the last 30 days, but my 2 months at khan academy show on this other chart:

consistency.jpg

I didn't watch too many videos, as few as possible, on average one video every two exercises. I get impatient. Instead I find it easier to learn from the exercise itself.

Who would have ever thought I'd have made myself do all these math exercises: practice does help your skills and confidence (which are two related but different concepts, as the confidence itself helps you solve problems, given the same level of skills). I used to fail math courses. It took me over three extra years to graduate from college, because I wouldn't finish those two damn math requirements (a lot of money wasted on half a dozen summer sessions, six weeks each time, as I kept enrolling and failing those same two math classes). The difference as far as I'm concerned, besides khan academy being student-friendly, was between others trying to make me do something vs. me deciding to make myself do it.

Now, counting for each exercise (considering those I got wrong and had to repeat) over 10 questions, it's about 3000 questions I've processed, not counting those I did before getting on this website (khan academy).

Now I can take a break, before moving on to probability/statistics, and while continuing to complete all the review exercises they feed me on a daily basis (I don't know if they'll ever stop, but it's ok because I want to ace this material).

I wish I could continue to study everything on this website all the way to portfolio theory, and a lot more videos are there (including over a hundred on finance), but without exercises I don't like it. And there are no exercises left - there's videos, but without corresponding exercises. They've got exercises only for math.

Last edited:
Looking ahead: probability

After finishing all the exercises two days ago, and spending the last two days doing the review exercises they automatically assign on a daily basis, the situation looks like this:

Snap1.jpg

The limited activity shown by the chart in the last two days, caused by the progress I made (there are no new exercises left), explains why I am feeling restless and looking for new tasks.

Given that I plan to resume real trading in one month (with my own very limited savings), in the next few weeks I want to do these two things:

1) stop monitoring (on the weekly update) what we would have done had we kept trading (with the investors) the previous combination, as I did until here, and start monitoring how well I would be doing if, week after week, I were trading what seems the best combination (with the limited funds I have), which is the four systems I've kept mentioning for the past two months (2 ZN, 1 NQ, 1 GBL system). I will start doing this tonight, with the usual weekly update, which will therefore go from "previous combination we stopped trading" to "future combination I will start trading in a month". I say this to remind myself that I need to write a note explaining why the chart looks so different all of a sudden. This new weekly update will make me aware of potential new problems.

2) Since the review exercises are showing that I still have not fully understood all the material covered (I still make mistakes in about 20% of the exercises, mostly due to distraction, but also due to errors in logic and lack of complete understanding), I will keep working on khan academy, and that will require some effort, but, since it won't keep me busy all the time, I should start looking for what seems to be the next step: a course in probability and statistics.

Khan has probability videos right on his web site, but there are no exercises, so I want to find one that has exercises, and the only one that I have found so far is here:
MIT OpenCourseWare | Mathematics | 18.05 Introduction to Probability and Statistics, Spring 2005 | Home

It's not as student-friendly as Khan's material for math, so before I start doing, I'll keep looking on the web for something better. But if I don't find anything, I'll probably start with that. And even though the material is not student-friend, it will be easier to do statistics than it has been to do trigonometry and even the long division (since I started from 1+1=2 to go all the way to calculus), because it has immediate utility for me.

One question that comes to mind immediately and that I hope I'll be able to address if not answer is the following. I often think: if I trade this combination with this capital, it will be very unlikely that I blow out my account, and it will be very likely that I will make money. But how do I go about defining how likely is "very unlikely" and "very likely"? I don't expect a precise answer from a probability course, but it will probably give me a better background to address the issue. Until now I've proceeded by rule-of-thumb, and it would be nice to know how far I can go in defining risk and return.

Another example. It is clear that the fact that a system has worked for ten back-tested years and for two forward-tested years is not a guarantee that it will work in the future. However, I wonder if I can get a framework, logic, mental structure, for understanding how to go about making estimates of how reliable past statistics are in predicting future statistics (which in my case can be called "results" as well).

If at the end, nothing will still be better than rule-of-thumb and guesstimates, well, then too bad, but it was worth checking. For sure it's better to use rule-of-thumb than unreliable formulas. As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so if I find that formulas are not effective, then I'll go back to rule-of-thumb, because the objective is to make money and not to give lectures on statistics.

Also, let's not forget that when in doubt, you can just underbet (but then the problem is relative to what), and you will simply make less money, whereas if you overbet, then you will blow out your account, no matter how small your mistake. So it's better to be ignorant, and, knowing it, to proceed by guesstimates and underbet, than to think you've got it all figured out, push your risk too far with supposedly scientific methods, and then blow out your account, because you were slightly off. This reminds me what we did in the past year. The scientists told me what to do, a scientific method, I blindly followed them, implementing with enthusiasm their portfolio recipe, and we were all wrong. As mentioned, we used curve-fitting of historical performances, and selected an over-optimized portfolio, that delivered great returns with little losses, but worked that well only in the past. It was not an unprofitable portfolio but its drawdown was much higher in the future than what it was in the past, and this because we selected it by testing hundreds of potential portfolios (using Palisade's RiskOptimizer, which at the time I considered a great idea).

Probability might help me notice these mistakes we made recently, which I didn't even notice, maybe because I was working too hard to be thinking. But in general my handling of risk has always suffered from too much optimism. I've always pushed risk too far, whether on my own or with others. So, a course in probability can't hurt. Now I need to find something I can afford to complete. I don't want to get started doing something I will not end. I am not sure about this MIT course. It doesn't look friendly enough. On the other hand, a course is better than gathering material here and there, because in that case, I'd be missing out on things, but also I might get lazy and not finish the task and study the things I have to study.

Last edited:
This is probably the hardest exercise around, right after kinematic equations:
Functions 3 | Khan Academy

Not because it's really that hard but for a mix of attention required, together with a full understanding of the logic. Try doing not one of them, but nine in a row, without making any mistakes, because then you'd have to start all over again. Among the other things, this exercise clarifies once and for all the order of operations and that -2^2=-4, to all those cocksuckers who have been telling me otherwise (computer programmers, including those who programmed excel, physics majors, and other scientists).

Last edited:
probability and statistics course found

After sifting through the web for an hour in total, I have discarded about 9 out of 10 online tutorials and came up with my choice:
Statistics and Probability Tutorial: Introduction

Stat Trek seems to be the best overall. It has exercises. It has simple language, but not too simple. It is complete. For doubts and details, I can always go wolfram, wikipedia, youtube, brightstorm.com. Or the other courses I discarded.

So from now on, I'll do this course, and keep doing all the review exercises from khan.

Last edited:
weekly update (forward-testing)

Stopped monitoring the previously traded combination, monitored until here:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/140032-my-journal-3-a-13.html#post1753196

I will start monitoring the new combination, which I'll start trading with real money in a month:
Snap1.jpg

No money made this week, nor the previous week. But a lot of money made in the past 2 months, ever since I've singled out these four systems as the best: 3500. So this would seem to confirm, as expected, that systems that made money in the past (in back-testing and forward-testing) tend to repeat that performance in the future. And, speaking of probability, which I am about to study, I have no idea how probable that is. I just know that it tends to happen, and that's the whole basis for using trading systems to make money.

Now I have a new problem. I am negotiating with an italian friend who wants to split the capital 50-50 with me, and the expenses of the server, and the money we're discussing is a joke - 1500 euros apiece - but the problem is that it's a pain in the ass to negotiate with him all the conditions, such as:

1) he accepts that he will never see my systems: good
2) but he wants to have access to my IB account: not good
3) he wants me to stay with him for an entire year: not too good
4) he is ok with me adding more capital (or him) should I get it along the way, and then we'd split profit depending on % of capital: good

Then he gets offended that I don't accept this thing of him accessing my account and that I say "maybe we won't find a common ground to reach an agreement". He feels that he's trusting me more than I am willing to trust him. That's correct and that's the only way I'll have it. What's fair is that he's not forced to accept it. Just like I wasn't forced to show my systems as the previous investors asked, but I did, thereby screwing myself, but now I can't complain because no one forced me to accept it. You make your offer and it's up to the other guy to accept it or reject it. You can't say stuff like you're offended that the offer is not good enough. This is pure manipulation and this guy is very good at it. After I had helped him for an entire month with his systems, he was guilt-tripping me, last august, because I wouldn't keep doing it for the rest of the year. He kept telling me stuff like "oh, but i thought... oh, but now you're changing things...". What? I offer and provide my help for free for a month, and then I have an obligation to live up to his expectations by continuing to help him indefinitely?

All in all, I am not sure all the trouble and the arguments will be worth the little money he'll give me. Besides the money, one good thing is that there's someone with me, so we can monitor each other's actions. Other than that, it's all disadvantages. On top of the fact that we're working on an agreement such that I won't make any money from this, and we'll just split the costs of the server. So my profit is 150 dollars per month (from not paying half of the server) and a bigger capital, which at the start definitely helps. In return I put myself in the hands of a manipulative person, as good as berlusconi.

All in all, I hope we'll get into a huge mother-****ing argument, and abort this thing before we even start it. I am good at getting into arguments and breaking up but I am not good at negotiating and this guy is a dangerous manipulator out to screw me by guilt-tripping me. I am gonna block him right now on skype actually. There, I just blocked him.

I'm gonna abort this whole thing before it's too late. I would abort it sooner or later anyway, whether it's in one week or two weeks. It can't last longer than two weeks. I can't let people manipulate me. I can sense it a mile away. I'm gonna delete his phone number, too.

[...]

Well... you know what? I did block him and all, but if he comes through with a proposal of six months, and doesn't insist on accessing my account, then I think it would be convenient for me to accept. The problem however is that he doesn't understand it. There's no room for negotiation. It's not like we're bargaining and I make an offer to get something in between. If I make an offer, that's the only conditions i am willing to accept, but he keeps on bargaining, so we'll probably not reach an agreement. It's like when I was trying to sell my car. I could never sell it, because I knew it was worth 800 so I asked for 800, then the first guy came and offered 600 so I refused. The next time, reluctantly, I asked for 600, but the guy offered 400, so I refused. Eventually I had to give it away for free. What I was supposed to do instead was lie and ask for 1000 when I knew a fair price was 800, but since I don't lie, I can't handle bargaining with all these crooks. If I tell you a price, it's because that's what the car is worth. So this is what's going to happen with this guy, once again. I'll offer the best possible conditions (for him), the minimum I can accept, and he'll try to bargain, and then I'll tell him to **** off. Or rather, I'll block him. Actually it's already happened. And not only did he bargain, but he tried to guilt-trip me which is even worse. That's it - I am done.

Richard Galliano playing Libertango (Piazzolla Forever) NEW VIDEO !!! - YouTube

libertango in graz - YouTube

Vivaldi in Accordion - YouTube

Guido Deiro World's Foremost Piano-Accordionist - Part 1 - YouTube

Charles Magnante and his Trio - YouTube

Accordion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
getting started with probability and statistics

Ok, I am done with the first lesson at stat trek:
AP Statistics Tutorial: Variables
This was a piece of cake compared to all the equations and similar I had to do at khan academy. Sine, cosine and kinematic equations, unit circle... nothing will be as hard as that. Hopefully. Definitely: if I survived those 268 exercises, then I will survive this website, too.

Ok, I am now doing the second lesson and it's getting very interesting. It talks about the difference between a "sample" and a "population" and how "sample statistics are often used to estimate population parameters":
Samples and Populations: AP Statistics Tutorial

This is totally related to how i create trading systems, and it's going to be very interesting. In fact I used to use the whole (available) population (no "out-of-sample") to estimate the population to come, which is the future market data. And I did create a lot of good systems that way, but not as many, in % terms, as I created with the new method I've been using for the last 80 systems. Yeah, because the investors, with their scientific background, took me one step further and explained to me that I should verify my estimate of the (future) population, by using a sample of the present available population (the last 10 years of market data), creating the system on that, and then seeing if it worked on the rest of the population. This way you save a lot of time, because you don't have to use forward-testing to verify your estimate/hypothesis. It's like you're forward-testing it immediately, because you saved up a sample of the future (by not allowing yourself to see it).

This methodology is probably even more related to the rest of the lesson 2 of this stat trek course. I'm going to finish it and comment more on it. By the way, there's videos for every lesson, so it's so much easier for me. They're pretty much reading out loud what the text says, but it's good for me, because I find it hard to read.

[...]

There. It talks about methods of sampling, to draw inferences on the population. And it says in this tutorial they'll talk about "simple random sampling". What comes to mind is that the out-of-sample method for creating trading systems does not use simple random sampling. In other words, choosing the last third of data, or similar, which is what I do, is not equivalent to assigning a random number to each trade, and picking a third of those trades randomly. Nor is it equivalent to choosing three data sets of equal size and picking one at random. So the out-of-sample is not simple random sampling. But probably it is still the best way to go about it, in that we want to know if the system we created works in the data sample closest to now, and that is always the last part of the data. At least that's how things seem to be to me right now. Furthermore, on top of being (or seeming) the best way to go about it, it is the only practical way, because using random trades is too complicated, and picking the first out of three equal samples, or even worse, the middle sample, is not as practical (even though it's not too hard).

[...]

There. I am done with lesson 2 and for today I am done with this. I'll do some review exercises at khan academy and then I can watch movies.

No interaction with my bargaining friend. The last thing he said yesterday was "40% of negotiating is done. By January 1st we'll strike a deal". I really wonder how on earth he'll manage to convince me, when he's been bargaining on my non-negotiable offer, bringing the terms of the deal to unacceptable levels. Let alone that, in his efforts to manipulate me and guilt-trip me, he insulted me heavily by saying that I'm behaving like a shark with him, whereas with the previous investors I behaved like a sheep (how can he say that when I am not even asking for any percentage of the profits? Because he's a stupid manipulator). I'm already so not interested that I deleted his phone number and blocked him on skype. If I stick to this decision, he'll write me an email or sms, and then I'll easily reply that for now I am not interested. Then he can insult me all he wants, but it's only going to make matters worse. I think the problem is that he's so stupid that he's asking me to meet him half way, and keeps bargaining, when I've already gone too far. As I said, he wants access to my account, a year together, and in return I get nothing, except he pays for half the costs of the server. It's much easier to avoid him, so he doesn't try to manipulate me. He's a mix of manipulation and insults, and my reaction to this is not insults, but simply to avoid interaction. Or rather it should be, because no matter how rude and stupid he is, it's hard for me to disappoint him and say no, or disappear. It sucks. It's hard for me to say no to people, even when I have all the rights and reasons to do so... But I can't interact with this guy, and in the end I will stop talking to him one way or another, either peacefully or abruptly, because I can't stand to interact with people who don't respect me. I didn't explain how, but in his way of talking to me, it's apparent to me that he doesn't respect me. I don't care that it might be his way of talking to everyone. I don't like it at all, so there's going to be no interaction.

[...]

I just wrote him an email titled "the conditions aren't there". Can't translate it properly. I told him about the car I could never sell because the potential buyers kept bargaining, about the bargaining that doesn't make any sense since I had already proposed the best I could propose and I told him that I can't accept his conditions, and especially that I can't interact with someone who doesn't respect me. Basically there can't be any deal, and there never will be. Now, as usual, he'll insult me some more, but that reinforces my decision, so be my guest. Besides, I blocked his email as well, so now he can only send me text messages on the cell phone. That's how I lead a peaceful life - I stay away from people who stress me out, which means 95% of people in the long run. I let them have their way when they're around me, don't fight them at all, but then I make sure I stay away from them.

Last edited: