moderator deletion and stealth editing

TheBramble

Legendary member
The last thread with this title about posts deleted and edited was closed without notice or reason...LOL

So, on the off chance this sticks around for more than a few minutes before a mod finds their worry muscles tensing too much for them to bear....

===========================================================================================

Ahhh…that’s better. A few days R & R rejuvenates the spirit, relaxes the mind and puts t2w-life into a more distant, blurry and less significant perspective. Wonderful. I’d like to thank Dr. Mod for the prescription.

It seems one of my comments on a thread was taken as insulting to another member or members. (Memory may not serve me totally correctly, but I think my being given a 2 day ban based on an alleged “two insults in a row” thing is stretching reality a little, but no matter, this is Wonderland so anything can be true, after the event).

I can’t repeat the comment I initially made for the obvious reason that somebody found if offensive. After all, an insult is an insult, even if true. Probably especially if true. I mean, if you said I was really, really stupid, it would be true, but I’d still feel you had insulted me. Or more likely, I probably wouldn’t have realised I’d been insulted if you were clever about it.

Perhaps what I should have more correctly and properly stated at that time and at that point was my personal view that anyone just joining the site, pretty much immediately finding their way around the site and its facilities sufficiently confidently to start a new thread and almost immediately be engaged by another member who has vendor status and in a matter of two posts draw out the necessary interest by implication in that vendor’s products (and to have a mod highlight and facilitate the means by which traffic could be routed to that vendors site) and for vendor to rep an otherwise unremarkable post and further to have that (so far) be the solo offering of the newly-registered member, a total of 4 posts all in one thread and with obvious proficiency and experience in using on-line BB, and you’d be hard pressed to find a more exemplar profile of a stooge-vendor, ever-so-subtle spam setup containing one or more or all of the elements described above.

However, it seems admin feel this wasn’t the case and this was all pure coincidence and random chance and no such relationship exists or ever existed or ever will exist and no such intent was ever held by either party, and therefore it was inappropriate of me to suggest, if rather bluntly, that such a situation does exist.

While we’re all at this juncture, it might be a wonderful opportunity for the admin/mods to provide a link to that part of the site which is for over-18s. Where people exist in the same Universe as do I, where unpleasant things do happen, slippage on your fills, stops are run, trades end up in negative territory, spikes take out both your initial and auto-reverse trades, people die horribly, scams and spams occur etc.

However, from this point on, I do solemnly promise in future that in this other, delightfully unreal, part of the site, to discuss only smiley-faced, sunny blue skies, happy rosy tinted people type things, where truth is only acceptable if pleasant and where it doesn’t hurt when you fall over, and when you do, people pick you up and give you money, all your orders are filled at better than expected prices, SBs follow the underlying without deviation, hedge all their clients bets and applaud them when they do well.

In seriousness though, the real irritation with this situation for me, and I’m sure I’m in a minority, if not the only one, is that in Real Life, you don’t get retrospective editorial review and amendment/deletion of your comments by a ‘higher power’. You say what you say and some folk will agree and some will not. And in each of those camps there will be some who liked what you said, the way you said, the point you made, and some will dislike it. And then can be any number in each of these camps from zero to one to all. But regardless of their disposition to what’s been said and the way it’s been said, and the numbers in each group, none of them have the ability to go back and change it or delete it – it just stands for what it is. Good/Bad. Popular/Unpopular. Rubbish/Genius.

That’s where tw2 Life differs. The same situation pertains as above, except here, there are individuals who do have such power to unilaterally override reality and repaint it or make it unhappen. Out of 100,000 members they unilaterally exercise it largely for the good of all and I am sure with good intent most of the time and their efforts enhance and enrich the site, but sometimes, they enact their powers to the detriment of some, or possibly all. They can’t be all-seeing, all-knowing and all-wise, nor do we expect them to be. But there’s the thing, we all have a choice. In all areas of life we can choose to do more of things we do enjoy and less of things we find irritating and pointless. And so the solution is clear. Spend less time putting yourself in a position where irritation and frustrations are potentially going to arise and more time putting yourself in situations that more strongly correlate with your version of Reality and where pleasure becomes eye-squintingly intense and frequent.

So, it’s Sharky’s site and he can do whatever he likes with it. Assigning moderators and advisors and giving them whatever roles, responsibilities and powers he chooses. Quite rightly. And for you, me, anyone else, we too get to decide the degree to which we participate or not in any of the site’s various facilities and forums. I’ve spent considerable time and effort on this topic (moderator behaviour and the moderation of that – LOL) over the last 5 years and it was important to me as I like the site, I like what it offers and what it can mean to those with the wit and intelligence to use it for good purpose. But after butting up against these admin ‘issues’ and ranting about them for so long, I no longer feel it’s worth the effort. There’s certainly nothing in it for me on a personal level any longer, so somebody else can take up the torch for democratic representation in an undemocratic, and quite unreal state, if they’ve a mind to. LOL.

I’m off to travel the far reaches of the site where struggling newbies need assistance, mid-term traders have hit the wall and old doddery experts realise they know less now then when they started and appreciate the cosmic humour in that, and all of this. See you there.

In the meantime, good trading, and I hope you all find your Rabbit. For those that need a clue, ask Alice, I think she knows…

"But after butting up against these admin ‘issues’ and ranting about them for so long, I no longer feel it’s worth the effort."

That's the longest example of "not worth the effort" I've ever seen but its good to see you letting it go now Bramble.

"But after butting up against these admin ‘issues’ and ranting about them for so long, I no longer feel it’s worth the effort."

That's the longest example of "not worth the effort" I've ever seen but its good to see you letting it go now Bramble.
Thanks for your comments. How about you, are you going to let it go and stop following me around now? Or are you going to have one of your mod buddies delete my stuff for you?

Nine's resignation was pretty good news. The man was in the wrong job as he was thinking his role was to impose and protect his own personal taste and opinion of how things shoud be.

Good to see you back Bramble. You certainly are an interesting read.

ROTFL Bramble.

OK. Seeing you started a thread to continue one of your whinges let me say it all once. Maybe you'll get something from it but I doubt it.

1. You chose the name TheBramble and that says something.

2. You have a huge problem with people deleting your posts - you might ask youself why?

3. You get banned for pushing it too far - something that's happened to me after which I went "ok, such is life, lets get on with it". So did MP. Then you seem to have sulked for a few days after the ban finished. Then you come back. And guess what:
a) you start a thread to say how you were wronged and you've got over it.
b) you start attacking Mathemagician again trying to figure out what side of the line will get you banned and which side will just let you feel clever.

and,
4. You think I'm following you around. There is a name for that.

That certainly went past the amount of effort I was prepared to devote to your games post moderating so I'll leave you to your fun. I'll even ignore poor old fxscalper. Let it go Bramble - get into the direct knowing.

LOL. Mods, should you feel the need to delete this post you may be assured that I won't be holding any grudges. Just admiration for the difficult task you're performing for the community.

The last thread with this title about posts deleted and edited was closed without notice or reason...LOL

So, on the off chance this sticks around for more than a few minutes before a mod finds their worry muscles tensing too much for them to bear....

===========================================================================================

.....................Out of 100,000 members they unilaterally exercise it largely for the good of all and I am sure with good intent most of the time and their efforts enhance and enrich the site, but sometimes, they enact their powers to the detriment of some, or possibly all. They can’t be all-seeing, all-knowing and all-wise, nor do we expect them to be...............

Tony,

I've been away for a few weeks so missed the first thread - and with around 8000 new posts facing me it'd be a bit of a chore to plough through to unearth it. So forgive me for being late in the game and unaware of what went on (although I can make a shrewd guess :)).

I've picked out the above bit of your post because, yes, mods do try to act in the best interests of T2W or, more accurately, its members. That membership is a broad church though and it's no surprise that we come in for stick from some who see the modding as "too soft" whilst being beaten by others who see it as "too hard". From all the feedback we've had the vast majority do see modding as a necessary feature, albeit that, for some, it is seen as a necessary evil.

In finding the "right" balance we are heavily influenced by reported posts, both with regard to the specific post reported and to the sort of thing that is reported, even though the number of members who report posts are relatively tiny set against the total membership. Much of it also comes from our own personal sense of what is "right" and although we don't always agree we're not too far apart as a whole (nor, I might add, from the majority view when modding is aired on the boards).

Cheers and good trading

jon

ROTFL Bramble.

OK. Seeing you started a thread to continue one of your whinges let me say it all once. Maybe you'll get something from it but I doubt it.

1. You chose the name TheBramble and that says something.
Erm, what does it say to you? I chose it pretty randomly to be honest. But if it’s significant to you, may it enhance your powers thricefold.

2. You have a huge problem with people deleting your posts - you might ask youself why?
I only have a problem with people deleting my posts if they don’t have the basic intelligence to understand them.

3. You get banned for pushing it too far –
No, not really. I get banned on a mods whim.

Then you seem to have sulked for a few days after the ban finished. Then you come back. And guess what:
Sulked? It’s a long weekend, it’s hot & sunny – I wasn’t sulking. Sorry I wasn’t around to immediately respond…LOL

a) you start a thread to say how you were wronged and you've got over it.
Eh? I started another thread because the first one was closed, very quietly....

b) you start attacking Mathemagician again trying to figure out what side of the line will get you banned and which side will just let you feel clever.
So there IS a line with jj – thought so….

LOL. Mods, should you feel the need to delete this post you may be assured that I won't be holding any grudges. Just admiration for the difficult task you're performing for the community.
Ah yes, signal and cue mods to delete….plus ca change….

In finding the "right" balance we are heavily influenced by reported posts, both with regard to the specific post reported and to the sort of thing that is reported, even though the number of members who report posts are relatively tiny set against the total membership. Much of it also comes from our own personal sense of what is "right" and although we don't always agree we're not too far apart as a whole (nor, I might add, from the majority view when modding is aired on the boards).
Well said indeed Jon, as jj immediately jumped in to say. But when you consider who is doing the bad post button pushing and their potential aims, perhaps some context needs to be observed.

After all, a vendor is a vendor ,even if, especially if, they’re an Advisor.

b) you start attacking Mathemagician
[...]and,
4. You think I'm following you around.
I'll just invite those with any interest in this to just check out the sequence of posts yesterday. While I wouldn't suggest you and jj were 'lying in wait for me', you both certainly got stuck in pretty quickly.

Is that the problem, did you spend the whole weekend on the boards waiting for me to appear to gave a go? LOL. Sorry mate, I was out having fun....

Ahhh…that’s better. A few days R & R rejuvenates the spirit, relaxes the mind and puts t2w-life into a more distant, blurry and less significant perspective. Wonderful. I’d like to thank Dr. Mod for the prescription.

It seems one of my comments on a thread was taken as insulting to another member or members. (Memory may not serve me totally correctly, but I think my being given a 2 day ban based on an alleged “two insults in a row” thing is stretching reality a little, but no matter, this is Wonderland so anything can be true, after the event).

I can’t repeat the comment I initially made for the obvious reason that somebody found if offensive. After all, an insult is an insult, even if true. Probably especially if true. I mean, if you said I was really, really stupid, it would be true, but I’d still feel you had insulted me. Or more likely, I probably wouldn’t have realised I’d been insulted if you were clever about it.

Perhaps what I should have more correctly and properly stated at that time and at that point was my personal view that anyone just joining the site, pretty much immediately finding their way around the site and its facilities sufficiently confidently to start a new thread and almost immediately be engaged by another member who has vendor status and in a matter of two posts draw out the necessary interest by implication in that vendor’s products (and to have a mod highlight and facilitate the means by which traffic could be routed to that vendors site) and for vendor to rep an otherwise unremarkable post and further to have that (so far) be the solo offering of the newly-registered member, a total of 4 posts all in one thread and with obvious proficiency and experience in using on-line BB, and you’d be hard pressed to find a more exemplar profile of a stooge-vendor, ever-so-subtle spam setup containing one or more or all of the elements described above.

However, it seems admin feel this wasn’t the case and this was all pure coincidence and random chance and no such relationship exists or ever existed or ever will exist and no such intent was ever held by either party, and therefore it was inappropriate of me to suggest, if rather bluntly, that such a situation does exist.

While we’re all at this juncture, it might be a wonderful opportunity for the admin/mods to provide a link to that part of the site which is for over-18s. Where people exist in the same Universe as do I, where unpleasant things do happen, slippage on your fills, stops are run, trades end up in negative territory, spikes take out both your initial and auto-reverse trades, people die horribly, scams and spams occur etc.

However, from this point on, I do solemnly promise in future that in this other, delightfully unreal, part of the site, to discuss only smiley-faced, sunny blue skies, happy rosy tinted people type things, where truth is only acceptable if pleasant and where it doesn’t hurt when you fall over, and when you do, people pick you up and give you money, all your orders are filled at better than expected prices, SBs follow the underlying without deviation, hedge all their clients bets and applaud them when they do well.

In seriousness though, the real irritation with this situation for me, and I’m sure I’m in a minority, if not the only one, is that in Real Life, you don’t get retrospective editorial review and amendment/deletion of your comments by a ‘higher power’. You say what you say and some folk will agree and some will not. And in each of those camps there will be some who liked what you said, the way you said, the point you made, and some will dislike it. And then can be any number in each of these camps from zero to one to all. But regardless of their disposition to what’s been said and the way it’s been said, and the numbers in each group, none of them have the ability to go back and change it or delete it – it just stands for what it is. Good/Bad. Popular/Unpopular. Rubbish/Genius.

That’s where tw2 Life differs. The same situation pertains as above, except here, there are individuals who do have such power to unilaterally override reality and repaint it or make it unhappen. Out of 100,000 members they unilaterally exercise it largely for the good of all and I am sure with good intent most of the time and their efforts enhance and enrich the site, but sometimes, they enact their powers to the detriment of some, or possibly all. They can’t be all-seeing, all-knowing and all-wise, nor do we expect them to be. But there’s the thing, we all have a choice. In all areas of life we can choose to do more of things we do enjoy and less of things we find irritating and pointless. And so the solution is clear. Spend less time putting yourself in a position where irritation and frustrations are potentially going to arise and more time putting yourself in situations that more strongly correlate with your version of Reality and where pleasure becomes eye-squintingly intense and frequent.

So, it’s Sharky’s site and he can do whatever he likes with it. Assigning moderators and advisors and giving them whatever roles, responsibilities and powers he chooses. Quite rightly. And for you, me, anyone else, we too get to decide the degree to which we participate or not in any of the site’s various facilities and forums. I’ve spent considerable time and effort on this topic (moderator behaviour and the moderation of that – LOL) over the last 5 years and it was important to me as I like the site, I like what it offers and what it can mean to those with the wit and intelligence to use it for good purpose. But after butting up against these admin ‘issues’ and ranting about them for so long, I no longer feel it’s worth the effort. There’s certainly nothing in it for me on a personal level any longer, so somebody else can take up the torch for democratic representation in an undemocratic, and quite unreal state, if they’ve a mind to. LOL.

I’m off to travel the far reaches of the site where struggling newbies need assistance, mid-term traders have hit the wall and old doddery experts realise they know less now then when they started and appreciate the cosmic humour in that, and all of this. See you there.

In the meantime, good trading, and I hope you all find your Rabbit. For those that need a clue, ask Alice, I think she knows

Brilliant.

I'll just invite those with any interest in this to just check out the sequence of posts yesterday. While I wouldn't suggest you and jj were 'lying in wait for me', you both certainly got stuck in pretty quickly.

Is that the problem, did you spend the whole weekend on the boards waiting for me to appear to gave a go? LOL. Sorry mate, I was out having fun....

It appears that we can add paranoia to the syndrome now. I guess everyone will feel sorry that poor defenceless Bramble is getting picked on so unfairly. :cheesy:

This is just pathetic bollox. Makes the place look silly. Let's move on, shall we?
You are free to move if you wish. However, unless you've got some remit from god to speak for the rest of humanity, I'd suggest you allow others to do as they wish.

Based on your comments we probably shouldn't expect to see any more posts here from you. Should we?

The only time i've experienced stealth editing is if it could be interpreted as i've criticised T2W. Which is probably only once, and i wasn't criticisizng T2W in that instance.

But u can pretty much post what u want on T2W with regard any topic, as long as the content isn't sexual in nature, so it seems to me. I've not tried posting sex stuff mind.

I really would not care enough about the issue though to protest, even if my post was edited for some reaon, unless it was done in an abusive way that made me look bad.