Lebanese food

good food

Hello everyone,

I am looking into opening a restaurant in St Albans and have noticed that there is a successful restaurant for every single kind of food in that area except for lebanese food.
I have experience in Lebanese food from a previous successful restaurant I owned abroad.
I would just like to see what people think of Lebanese food, do english people know what it is? and if so is it popular?
For those who don't know what it is, does it sound appealing? would they be willing to try it?

It would be very helpful if you can all give me your opinions.

Thank you!
Good food

This is not a general business site. It's about financial trading only. However, I love Lebanese food. There was one near Hyde Park and I got to try their dishes.

Erm, OK. I think you might be lost. This is Trade2Win, not-flog crap-food-to-mugs-2-win.

As you can probably tell, I am not a fan. I went to what was supposedly a very good Lebanese restaurant in Oxford, and honestly I would not have given the meal we had to a pig, unless I wished to make said pig violently ill.

Nor would I inflict upon the pig the weird, slightly sweet Lebanese red wine we had, which would have stripped the ceramic lining off a cast iron bath and was madly over-priced at 30 quid.

All in all, if I never encounter Lebanese food again, it will be a damn sight too soon for my liking.

Good luck with your venture though :).

Yes I know I realised this is a financial trading sight but I also noticed that a few people have posted threads about restaurants in London which they received many replies for so I thought it could be for businesses as well.

Thank you for replying though.

I'm sorry about your bad experience Pazienza, I have personally tried many lebanese restuarants in the UK and I don't like any of them. The food never tastes anything like original Lebanese cuisine, which is meant to be one of the best cuisines in the world.
If you want a real taste of lebanese food I recommend trying one of the Mroushe restaurants or Al-Hamra in London. They are acceptable but still don't do it justice.

Good food

Hello everyone,

I am looking into opening a restaurant in St Albans and have noticed that there is a successful restaurant for every single kind of food in that area except for lebanese food.
I have experience in Lebanese food from a previous successful restaurant I owned abroad.
I would just like to see what people think of Lebanese food, do english people know what it is? and if so is it popular?
For those who don't know what it is, does it sound appealing? would they be willing to try it?

Thank you!
Good food

I would say most English people have no idea of what food is apart from if it is some kind of leathery meat contained in a soggy pastry.
Lebanese food is excellent.

I would say most English people have no idea of what food is apart from if it is some kind of leathery meat contained in a soggy pastry.
Lebanese food is excellent.

I'd have to taste it to believe it. My friends raved about the place I went, and frankly, the best I can say is it wasn't as bad as the food in Istanbul (and that was the real Istanbul, none of your tourist crapola). That said, being poisoned whilst being gang-raped by randy oil-rig workers wouldn't have been as bad as the food in Istanbul.

Now, on the subject of the English, it is true that they hate food, almost as much as they hate art, education and achievement.

I'd have to taste it to believe it. My friends raved about the place I went, and frankly, the best I can say is it wasn't as bad as the food in Istanbul (and that was the real Istanbul, none of your tourist crapola). That said, being poisoned whilst being gang-raped by randy oil-rig workers wouldn't have been as bad as the food in Istanbul.

Now, on the subject of the English, it is true that they hate food, almost as much as they hate art, education and achievement.

By the way do you allow women to cook in Lebanese restaurants or just men? I spent a lot of time in the middle east and never saw a female cook in a hotel or restaurant, though I tended to be in the more backward parts of the region I suppose.

Isn't "The Foyer" a place to post non-trading related stuff? Don't understand why everybody is up this guys' back.

I always try and get to Maroosh when in London, good luck fella, I love Leb grub :)

Hello everyone,

Thank you!
Good food

A decent fish and chip shop would be welcome:clap:

The food in Istanbul is Turkish which is very different and nowhere near as good as Lebanese food. Try one of the restaurants I recommended earlier and get back to me.

By the way do you allow women to cook in Lebanese restaurants or just men? I spent a lot of time in the middle east and never saw a female cook in a hotel or restaurant, though I tended to be in the more backward parts of the region I suppose.

It is not the case of not allowing women to cook in restaurant but more of a case of Lebanese women not wanting to work in such an environment where unfortunately their opinions and demands will not be respected by the men assissting them. It is a completely different culture and beliefs that I do not entirely agree with.
As Lebanese food is very fidley and hard to make however, you will find women in restaurant kitchens in the middle east doing things like cutting up the parsley for the tabouleh (which must be very fine), stuffing vine leaves or making kibeh (arabic meat balls that are made of meat pastery from the outside and stuffed with seasoned minced meat and pine nuts) which is then passed onto the chef to be cooked. Jobs like these are considered to be performed better by women who have the patience to do them as accurate as possible.