Journals

dbphoenix

Guest Author
I have no idea where my post is regarding journals since it was made months ago, so I'll ask here what progress has been made on being able to post images to journals or if the idea was dropped? Last I asked, it was supposed to be available somewhere around September or October of last year, but, as far as I know, this option is still not available.

If the idea was dropped, that's fine. But I'll then have to recommend other websites for those who are interested in beginning and maintaining journals.

An interim measure (if any is needed) would be to use the normal thread structure for posting journals.

Forum: Journals

Thread: For each member wishing to keep a journal

I'm well aware of the Journals Forum. My question -- first asked last year -- has to do with posting charts there as well as other attachments.

dbphoenix said:
I have no idea where my post is regarding journals since it was made months ago, so I'll ask here what progress has been made on being able to post images to journals or if the idea was dropped? Last I asked, it was supposed to be available somewhere around September or October of last year, but, as far as I know, this option is still not available.

If the idea was dropped, that's fine. But I'll then have to recommend other websites for those who are interested in beginning and maintaining journals.

it is possible to post images to the journals. an example would be JillyBs journal.
have you tried to post an image recently ?

trendie said:
it is possible to post images to the journals. an example would be JillyBs journal.
have you tried to post an image recently ?

I don't see any charts posted there. Can you provide a date?

dbphoenix said:
It doesn't seem to be native to t2w. Do you have any idea how it was attached?

unfortunately, no. I just happen to remember that it was unusual, when I first noticed it.
A PM to JillyB might be more productive ?

trendie said:
unfortunately, no. I just happen to remember that it was unusual, when I first noticed it.
A PM to JillyB might be more productive ?

Actually, a PM to Sharky would be more productive, but my PM option is off, and I was hoping that one of the mods might know what was going on with regard to the attachment question.

At present you can post images to journals using the
tags but obviously you need to have somewhere to host them first.

frugi said:
At present you can post images to journals using the
tags but obviously you need to have somewhere to host them first.

Yes, I'm aware of that. My question stemmed from an exchange I had with Sharky last year regarding posting attachments to journals in the same manner that one posts attachments to ordinary message boards.

What I'm asking is whether or not any progress has been made in this regard or if the idea has been dropped. If Sharky has no plans to go ahead with the idea, then I will, as I said, find some other website for people to use who want to maintain journals. Perhaps you could make Sharky aware of this thread so that he can respond to it before it gets too much longer.

Mr. B if you've got a whole bunch of people queing up to post charts in their journals why not find another website and go ahead and post them there?

You can always elect to come back to t2w at a later stage if you so choose.

Because copying out and pasting several hundred entries is a considerable task, and I don't want to ask anyone to do that unless it's necessary. And they may not want to post in two places.

As I've said, my question was addressed to Sharky and/or the mods. Your suggestions were all addressed last year.

Hi DB,

Yeah, we did actually do some work on this and the system is about 75% complete. Unfortunately for one reason or another the whole thing was put it on hold, which isn't much help to you or anyone else. I do intend to complete the work, but as yet don't have an estimated time of completion. If people are very interested in posting charts and images, then I suggest we have a temporary Journal forum. When the new system is ready we can write an import script to copy them all across (like we'll do for the existing journals section), so nothing will be lost, and everything will be in the one place. How does that sound?

Cheers,

Thank you for the reply.

A temp Journals Forum sounds just fine. However, I have no idea how many people would be interested in it or even if anyone would be interested at all. I do know that the Journals Forum at ET is very popular. However, journalists have no control over the content and journals are often hijacked or sabotaged, which is why I can't recommend the site.

In any case, I'm sure that those who've already started journals would like to be able to post charts and images (resident to t2w) to them, so I suggest that whatever work has been done to make this possible continue.

Edit: Incidentally, I'll point out again that I very much like the structure of the JF here, that one's posts can be public or private, that readers can choose to go through the journal without having to be distracted by comments, and that readers can elect to read the comments if they so choose. If ET were to adopt a similar structure, their JF wouldn't so often turn into such a mess.

Last edited:
I have attached quite a few charts in the past to my journal. I used villagephots.com, but as I haven't visited the site in a while, it seems they delete your images, hence there is no link anymore to them in my journal. Bit of a bummer really. I'm quite annoyed as I thought once you had set up an account and uploaded images they would be there permanently.

Does anyone know of a website that doesn't delete uploaded images?

JillyB said:
I have attached quite a few charts in the past to my journal. I used villagephots.com, but as I haven't visited the site in a while, it seems they delete your images, hence there is no link anymore to them in my journal. Bit of a bummer really. I'm quite annoyed as I thought once you had set up an account and uploaded images they would be there permanently.

Does anyone know of a website that doesn't delete uploaded images?

This is why it's important to have the images resident to t2w rather than only as a link to someplace else.

I assume that Sharky will be able to create the temporary Journals Forum fairly easily. Rather than start over someplace else, you may want to wait few days to see what happens.

Sharky,

One more suggestion, which may or may not be minor.

I noticed that you featured the Trading Journals forum right up there at the top of the list of the t2w boards page along with General Trading Chat and First Steps. This should draw a lot of attention from those who use that page.

However, there are many ways of accessing posts. I, for example, rarely go to the main boards page. I use the "new posts" button instead. If I never used the main board at all, I'd never see the TJ forum.

Is there some simple way you could add a box or button to the present Journals Forum itself to notify those who go straight to it that there is now someplace for them to post charts and attach files? Maybe "How to Post Charts" or "Journals FAQ" or whatever, maybe just above Journal List.

If it's not simple, just leave it until the revamp.