isa's short term trading journal

Re: Watchlist Addition

I like leonarda's Dragon Oil pick (DGO.L). It wasn't in my stock list as I only look at FTSE 350 for short term trades normally. It feels like it needs to pullback a bit more yet as is long term resistance at 580 and P&F is in a pullback phase. So I'll add it to my watchlist.

glad you like it, I hope it likes me :)
I pick FTSE stocks with a mcap greater than 200M.
My style of trading is such I might hold this for 1-3 months depending on how it behaves... I use a type of parabolic SAR trailing stop once it starts trending into profit...

Re: Watchlist Addition

glad you like it, I hope it likes me :)
I pick FTSE stocks with a mcap greater than 200M.
My style of trading is such I might hold this for 1-3 months depending on how it behaves... I use a type of parabolic SAR trailing stop once it starts trending into profit...

I've started using the -1ATR line recently as my trailing stop as it doesn't seem to get hit during a bull trend most of the time until a reversal is under way.

Brewin Dolphin is now up 3.8% today. Think I might have missed this one as I don't want to chase it as is only 4 points from the old high now. Oh well, can console myself that it was an excellent pick.

Re: Talvivaara Mining Rolling Spread

I've added to my position in Talvivaara Mining (TALV.L) on the pullback the moving averages. Earnings announced next Thursday.

Trade

Talvivaara Mining Rolling Spread
Direction: Long

Entry Price: 613.73
Spread: 3.37

Stop: 579.4
Target: 700

Account Risk: 0.42%
Potential Account Profit: 1.06%
Risk Ratio: 2.51

Blimey, I had to go back to page 29 to find this trade from last Thursday. The intra-day stuff is taking over. Anyway, I've closed this additional position in TALV.L for a small loss ahead of the earnings tomorrow to reduce my risk, as BG Group has pulled back a bit the last few days and I opened the position in Barclays on Monday which has made a good 7.20% currently. The initial TALV.L position still has a small profit, so hopefully it won't be a case of sell the news tomorrow.

Closing Trade

Entry Price: 613.73
Exit Price: 603.79

Percentage Gain: -1.62%

Account Percentage Gain: -0.12%

Daily Keltner Channel Captured: -14%
Trade Grade: E

Brewin Dolphin managed +4.7% today, so I'm going to leave this one for now, and watch for a pullback when it tries to get past 180.

Watchlist Addition

I've got two stocks to add to my short term watch list tonight. I'll do a post for each to separate the charts.

GKN.L

Similar pattern to last nights pick. Looking for a test of the 240 level which is 10.6% above today's close.

Attached are the charts

Attachments

• GKN_PnF_16-2-11.png
    GKN_PnF_16-2-11.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 159
  • GKN_Daily_16-2-11.png
    GKN_Daily_16-2-11.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 152
  • GKN_Daily_Kinjun_16-2-11.png
    GKN_Daily_Kinjun_16-2-11.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Watchlist Addition

Second pick to add to my watch list tonight is:

SCIN.L

With this one I'd be looking for a test of the 530 level.

Attached are the charts

Attachments

• SCIN_PnF_16-2-11.png
    SCIN_PnF_16-2-11.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 160
  • SCIN_Daily_16-2-11.png
    SCIN_Daily_16-2-11.png
    159.1 KB · Views: 162
  • SCIN_Daily_Kinjun_16-2-11.png
    SCIN_Daily_Kinjun_16-2-11.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 124
GKN looks ready to move up to me. So I've placed an order just above today's close with a stop loss at 198.4, initial target 240.

So that should be filled in the morning if it opens around the same level as today's close.

Talvivaara Mining Rolling Spread - Exit

A bit of rubbish way to start the day. Talvivaara results came out and stock opened around 4% lower than yesterdays close. So I was stopped out, and typically they gave me the worst price of the day and filled my order almost 1% below my stop. Here's the closing details:

Closing Trade

Entry Price: 596.19
Exit Price: 573.84

Stop loss: 579.40
Slippage: 5.56 (0.96%)

Percentage Gain: -3.75%

Account Percentage Gain: -0.21%

Daily Keltner Channel Captured: -26%
Trade Grade: F

GKN Plc Jun 11 Spread Entry

My limit order for GKN.L was filled at the open at 218.

Trade

GKN Plc Jun 11 Spread
Direction: Long

Entry Price: 218
Spread: 2.03

Stop: 198.40
Target: 240 (short term), 290 (medium term)

Account Risk: 0.48%
Potential Account Profit: 1.79%
Risk Ratio: 3.7

Attachments

• GKN_30min_17-2-11_entry.png
    GKN_30min_17-2-11_entry.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 144
oooh! Down she goes.

Out of the weekly but my sb short is looking good.

DAX SHORT UPDATE: stop to 7390(+43)