Is it really this easy?

JonnyT

Hi folks,

Over the past few weeks I've been trialling FX via FXCM and trading once sometimes twice per day.

What I have noticed is that trends in GP/US EURO/US tend to start around 09:00 and change at 13:00

Using this it has been pretty easy to make 50 pips per day on the demo platform. Whats more it is so much more slow paced than Futures.

Is it really this easy? Or am I deluding myself.......again.

JonnyT

I`ve heard that forex is the best trending market, so maybe it is that easy.

Where can we get intraday charts from to check any ideas?

Steve

GBP/USD tends to trend trade very easily for day trading or overnight positions.

A good starting point is a 100ema on any time frame, I personally use 15 min charts with occasional trading on 1 min charts to satisfy the gambling side of me while day trading.

Simply put am looking for longs above and shorts below ema. Chart patterns for pretty well although am out of sync with cable ATM manly due to not putting the time to Analyse the chart.

I started off looking at a BO of the overnight ranges as lot of the time there is little movement.

Incidentally, noticed that if a move starts at 7:30 am UK time its usually a larger move and most likely to trend for a while.

To answer you question, it can be easy as pattern setups form pretty well support and resistance levels are also a lot easier to identify. But then if it really was easy we would all have a crack at it ;)

I'd say it is definitely a market worth looking at to make your own views on it as a tradable market onyour watch list.

JonnyT, Have you seen Saxo Bank and currencies4less.com.
I somehow signed up for their reports. you may find them useful.

Cheers

JonnyT,

I set up the demo accounts on FXCM last night and the chart feeds appear to be down, are you finding the same? I guess it could be to do with the outages over there.

.....ah, just seen the announcement on the FXCM site, re the power outages.

Last edited:
Hi all

I don't like passing on advertising, but this might be useful to some people.

[This email is sent accordance with the terms of your subscription to Forex-Newsletters.com and/or theFinancials.com. Removal instructions below.]

More and more traders are becoming foreign currency traders everyday. There must be a reason. Trading currency online with the RefcoFX Demo is easy, simple and risk-free. Here are just a few of the benefits:

Pay ZERO commissions and NO exchange fees
In other markets, you have to pay commission and exchange fees that can really begin to add up. In the currency exchange (forex) market you pay NONE. Imagine how much more profit you would earn with commission-free trading.

Increase your buying power
Trade with up to 7x more leverage than futures and up to 100x more leverage than stocks. It's great to have the option of placing the big trade when the right opportunity strikes.

Guaranteed limited risk
Set a stop-loss on all forex trades and those stop-loss prices are guaranteed on orders of up to $1 million! RefcoFX offers you a 100% absolute guarantee on its stops. This important feature allows you to limit your risk on any trade to the exact guarantees amount that you decide in advance.

Instant execution and firm prices
The stock market and the futures markets do not offer instant execution or price certainty. With RefcoFX currency trading, in contrast, you get instantaneous execution and price certainty.

With your free demo account, you'll also receive live quotes, currency market news, and real-time charts. In just minutes, you could be up and trading. What are you waiting for? Why not give it a try.

30-day demo of our trading platform

About Refco
The Refco Group is the largest non-bank derivative trading house in the world, with over $20 billion in assets.

Currency trading has been an essential part of Refco’s services for hedge fund and institutional investors for twenty years. Until recently, technology and regulatory barriers has prevented Refco from offering this amazing market to retail traders. You can now trade currency with RefcoFX, a part of the Refco Group.

To learn more, visit our Web site at http://www.refcofx.com.

Sign up for a risk-free $50,000 demo account and experience the benefits of currency trading. With your free account, you'll even have a chance to compete for $5,000 in monthly prizes without spending a penny or taking any risk whatsoever.

FAO: Of the moderators - If you want to delete this post - feel free.

OK if you want a Cowboy outfit for Christmas. :cheesy:
I worked for them years ago, they even screwed staff on the exchange rate.

Currency Futures?

Some folks say that currency futures are a better way for the small guy to trade Forex?

Not sure I understand why.

Anyone one with experience care to comment ?

:?:

One/Two

I don't know.

But I would still like to know if one's money and chances of a successful trade would be higher if one used Futures via Interactive Brokers and the like ratrher than a forex broker like Oanda etc?

:?:

neil are you looking to scalp currency's or try and take trend positions
i was interested in scalping but it seems the spreads are 4-5 pips
which make my particular system a little bit to high risk for me.
I have being looking on the web about itwww.moneytec.com have a quick look there is a great deal of imformation on currency's.

Last edited:
Forex

Thanks One/Two....

It seems scalping is out with a 5 pip spread.

The Moneytec site helps a little but seems heavily weighted towards forex brokers as opposed to Financial Futures.

I will search it some more in case I missed anything.

Found this link re a journal of someone who has recently taken to forex.

He gives nowt away though :D

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18902

OOPS ! Might have answered my own question here:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20698&perpage=6&pagenumber=2

:eek: :eek:

Regards and thanks for your replies,

The FX market is known for being the best trending market to trade with tech analysis, especially in the majors such as USD and EUR - so keep looking for trends like Johnnys :)

re - futures vs spot
If you spread-bet then it is the currency futures you are trading. So you don't have a choice in the matter but the spot chart can still be used for doing the analysis.

The futures market is tiny compared to the spot market but I doubt any of us are in a position to be worrying about liquidity.

When interest rates change the effect on the futures market can be different than the spot as the futures "prices" in the interest rate.

A decent intra-day chart can be found on www.gcitrading.com under resources.

hi all
could anyone give me the value of a contract per pip on the futures in any of the majors.
also
what is the general initial margin requirement on these contracts.

appreciate any help.