Is it really this easy?

cheers rossard
i thinking more along the lines of currency's
do you have any details on them
i had a quick look at ib it didn't seem to offer the imformation.
thanks

Doh! :( Sorry didnt see the title of the thread before I replied.

Sorry one/two I know less than nothing about the FX side of IB.

Sorry couldnt be of more help.

JonnyT,
Thx for info. on FXCM,good website.Am following demo version, but have not dipped toe in water,as I know little about currencies.However, anybody following your advice this morning would have done well on pound/usd. At about 10.30 am our time, a definite trend downwards started at actual price of 1.5710, and at time of posting is at 1.5630. Gain of actual 80 points less of course spread.Still, even if it panned out at net 50 points by midday,I would be happy!
Only one fly in the ointment.After 30 days trial finishes, where would I find intraday charts, to trade on s/b with Fins.Can't afford large deals at present, and would consider up to £3 per point.
Many thanks
Kevin

Kevin,

FXCM do free intraday charts from the front page on their web site.

Just click on the contract prices and you get the chart...

JonnyT

www.oanda.com has the best spreads, good simulator, facility to open an account of any size and trade very small for as long as you want.

Charts are far from perfect but still...a happy profitable client!

Thanks Jonny, didn't realise that,just found it!
Will try oanda.com as well, haven't heard of them.
Cheers Kevin

Confused over this pips business.
Is the term pips interchangeable with points ie. I am used to dealing with so many £ per point on the Dow, with a s/b company.
Oanda have a demo web-site,which I thought I'd try to get to grips with forex.
Start off with a notional $100,000.
I traded gbp/usd 1000 units (whatever that is)
The trade went against me ie.Sold @ 1.5709
Buy at 1.5729
In my book a drop of 20 points times - what?
Virtual a/c now showing $99,998 - a drop of $2
Can anyone explain this,please

Hi Mercury,

You only traded $1000. Therefor each pip was worth 10 cents.

i.e. the market moved 0.0020 * $1000 = $2

If you traded $10,000 then each pip is $1
If you trades $100,000 then each pip is $10

Get the picture?

JonnyT

In the FX market, currencies are always priced in pairs. The quoted price is the level where we, acting as the market maker, are willing to buy/sell the currency pair. In the wholesale market, currencies are quoted out to four decimal places, with the last placeholder called a point or a pip. A pip in most currencies is one /10,000th of an exchange rate (in USD/JPY, it is one /100th).

FXCM does not charge commissions or any other fees to trade or maintain a Regular (100K) Trading Account. This arrangement is available to ALL accounts regardless of account balance or trade volume. In foreign exchange, there is an immediate cost in establishing a position. For example, USD/JPY may bid at 103.40 and ask at 103.45, this five-pip spread defines the trader's cost, which can be recovered with a favorable currency move in the market. The value of a pip is determined by the pair of currencies being traded, the rate at which the currency pair is trading and the size of the position being traded.

For example:

JPY is a two-decimal-place currency. Here is how to calculate the value of 1 pip.
Currency Pair Price Lot Size
USD/JPY 125.00 $100,000

To find the value of one pip with this exchange rate use
0.01 x $100,000/125.00 per pip. Each pip is worth $8.00.

CHF and CAD are four-decimal-place currency. Here is how to calculate the value of 1 pip.
USD/CHF 1.7545 $100,000

To find the value of one pip with this exchange rate use
.0001 x $100,000/1.7545= $5.70

USD/CAD 1.5274 $100,000

To find the value of one pip on this exchange rate us
.0001 x $100,000/1.5274= $6.55

*Note that these three currency pairs are USD based.

The following currency pairs have a fixed value of $10 per pip ($1 per pip on the Mini):

EUR/USD
GBP/USD
AUD/USD
NZD/USD

The following cross currency pairs are calculated in the following manner:

EUR/GBP... Take the rate GBP/USD is trading at and move the decimal over.
Ex. GBP/USD=1.4151 then each pip of EUR/GBP=$14.15

EUR/AUD...Take the rate AUD/USD is trading at and move the decimal over.
Ex. AUD/USD=. 5178 then each pip of EUR/AUD=$5.18

EUR/JPY.... same as USD/JPY
EUR/CAD...same as USD/CAD
GBP/CAD...same as USD/CAD
GBP/CHF...same as USD/CHF
GBP/JPY...same as USD/JPY
AUD/CAD...same as USD/CAD
AUD/JPY...same as USD/JPY
CHF/JPY....same as USD/JPY

Please note that one of the key features of the FX Trading Station is live P/L tracking. The key information for every account is re-calculated and updated every time the exchange rates change. Upon logging into the account, clients have immediate access to key information. The Account Balance and floating P/L in dollars are` displayed in the Account Information window. In addition, detailed information about every open position, open order, and a summary of account holdings can be seen on the main page of the Internet Currency Trading Platform. To illustrate this point please click on the following link to “Walk Through a Trade”: http://www.fxcm.com/software_preview.html

At FXCM, under normal trading conditions, traders receive a spread of four pips on the EUR/USD pair and a spread of five pips on the other major currency pairs (USD/JPY, USD/CHF, and GBP/USD). FXCM provides competitive spreads on a total of 17 currency pairs, including USD/CAD, NZD/USD and AUD/USD, at rates, which accurately reflect where the market is trading. During non-peak trading hours when the market is less liquid, FXCM still maintains 4-5 pip spreads.

FXCM deals with counter parties on the FX Prime Brokerage Desk, including major banks, such as Citibank, ABN-AMRO, Royal Bank of Scotland, Commerzbank, and Deutsche Bank. Using such credit worthy clearing firms, FXCM is capable of providing competitive market prices. Since the FXCM trading platform displays prices to all clients on one screen, there is no shading of prices to individual clients. Therefore, clients can be assured that they are receiving fair and accurate pricing at all times when they are trading with FXCM.

I havent traded currencies for a while, but it looks an awful lot easier to use deal4free. Their spreads tend to be smaller too.

H.

Hi Henry,

The spreads are less on www.fxcm.com www.oanda.com and there ilk.

Deal4Free spreads for cash prices are OK for daytrading, but twice there competitors for overnight. I think the margin requirements are much greater as well. But of course they are Tax Free for most.

JonnyT

jonnyT

have you had a look at the futures market through a broker like IB

is the spread tighter?
are the costs cheaper?

any information appreciated.

The futures look like there is not much volume with plenty of scope for slippage.

Unlike indices FX is decentralised so its horses for courses.

In this case I think the likes of FXCM / Deal4Free look OK.

Both, FXCM and OANDA have a free demo facility (fxcm is limited to 30m days I believe).

I tried them both and made my choice based on costs/spread.

Others might have different criteria.

MINI ACCOUNTS

echo of jonnyt's question for the fxcm guy....why doesn't the uk office have a mini account?

Hi all

Can anybody tell me if the spreads quoted by FXCM are a fair representaion of the market place or are they a rip off.

Cheers

spreadbet

The market is decentralised. FXCM guarantee the price you see is the price you pay. So no requotes. Stops are likewise guaranteed.

I have seen tigher spreads but the price moves around a lot more. The price also moves around a lot more on Deal4Free.

Horses for courses