Sticky Introduce Yourself

FWIW, DLJdirect now provide stoplosses and limit orders as well - whether this will survive now they're being taken over by TDWaterCloset I dunno - I plan to move to comdirect.

Morning All,

First posts today, hopefully the first of a few, nice to find a thriving traders colony.

As an Intro - TBS "The Blind Squirrel", have been trading futures mkts for about 10 years, mainly commods and indices. Speciality PnF charting, but a pure TA when it comes to it. Very much trend/sup/res orientated.

Other than that, run a private hedge fund, teach TA at City Uni, run private investor courses and write websites - quiet life really [:)]

welcome

This could be a Motley Fool migration route .

Welcome Squirrel.

Neil

new to you

hi, been day trading futures and the very odd option or usf for about 9 months now , use gni at the moent but am considering my options now that the new year is with us , am particuarly interested to join discussions with other traders re uk and euro futures on indexes.

been moderately succesful but would appreciate any tips or comments on how to get the best from the markets - or indeed the brokers.

quite active, 15 /20 contracts a day , so would be interested in any suggestions re brokers and commission rates etc.

will go and have a browse and see what i can find on this site.

happy trading

Hello all T2W folks, just registered today.

Its been a busy day - I also started to receive Level II data this pm. I understand the basic principles but would anyone with more experience like to say how they ae using it? (successfully I mean, of course)

Me - Been buying shares about 3 years after short unsuccessful and costly period of traded options (never to be repeated, believe me). Short-term trading only in last few months as a way of getting something out of a falling market - ARM and Barclays traded regularly - also trade shares on TA buy signals and results announcements but usually stick to FTSE350 stuff to cut spreads and reduce risk to bad news.

Anyway, enough woffle.

Hope to speak with more traders soon.

Tomorton

Get into the chat room and talk to GOLD about L2. I think there is also a lecture planned for L2, but have no details at this time.

Hi tomorton, welcome...

Effectively using L2 in one's favour requires both basic knowledge of the order book and the way orders work and handled, as well as experience...

You can get the basic knowledge on the following link:
http://www.advfn.com/cmn/help/level2.php

Then as ChartMan says you can discuss certain issues in the chatrooms or post spesific questions here...hope this helps

Riz

Thanks Riz and Chartman

Will do as you say, looking at the ADVFN source first, then probably a bit of studying the L2 moves when market re-opens next week.

Have a nice weekend.

Hi Folks, another new member. Searching for the holy grail like everyone else, knowing it's unattainable, determined to find a reliable low risk (and high return obviously (Ha!)) method of non-directional trading, having had disastrous failures with judging direction in the past with commodities. Recently had a splendid run fixed-odds betting with Market.com on "double-no-touch" figures for FTSE 100, then they dicscovered they'd cocked up the odds, so now its not worth the risk. Looking for something as easy as that again. Any ideas welcome.
Rick

Hi all. Registered today and looking forward to finding what's where in the coming weeks.

Like Tomorton I have access to L2 data (at advfn) but need to get better at interpreting what it shows - including the placing and pulling of real/fake/disguised orders on SETS, and the tactical antics of MMs on SEAQ stocks.

I make my living from investing/trading/spreadbetting UK shares. Been doing so for over 4 years since quitting the day job. Not easy, but surviving. I mostly avoid highly liquid FTSE100 stocks, preferring mid-range ones so I get time to think between each price change! Tend to avoid mining/oil/exploration stocks - just not comfortable with those. Cantor's recent introduction of weekly bets on shares (much tighter spreads than quarterlies) has made intraday bets viable. I typically have holdings in 10-15 stocks and bets running on 10-20.

I'm focussing on improving my performance within the areas I already deal (a Zulu Principle approach, if you like), rather than widening my activities beyond UK shares. I would rather become good at one or two things than average at everything. So I'm not likely to get involved in non-UK stuff or in sophisticated derivatives. I use charts a lot but still have lots to learn there. I also need to get a sounder grip on risk/reward ratio calcs to help avoid taking on trades I shouldn't have!

Just joined 31/12/2002

I'm starting from absolute scratch, no knowledge whatsoever. (Maybe a good thing, mind uncluttered by pre-concieved ideas!). I've done so much reading today, my brain has turned to soup, there's so much to learn! It's all very exciting though, I'll take it a step at a time. I currently make a good living selling on Ebay, but I'm always reliant on finding stock, so share trading etc to me seems a logical step up.
I'm looking forward to learning something new, with the idea that in the future, it will become my main income generator.

Andrea

Hi All,
What a welcome relief to find a site where so many knowledgable people hangout. Been spending the evening reading up about CFD's as I wish to actually make some money from the financial markets rather than just keeping my head above water for the last 3 years. Going short will be a novelty for me! It will be a sea-change going from a medium term investor (with the odd occassional day trade) to a short term trader.
Have also been spending time recently looking into the various financial packages such as MetaStock.

Great Site

Gadget

Welcome to T2W Gadget, and it's a pleasure to have you sailing with us.

MetaStock doesn't have a wide following around here, although I'm sure my comment will probably draw a few MetaStockers out of the woods.

Remember, we're all friendly round here (if they're not I'll swipe 'em with my handbag), so please feel free to post any questions and you should get a variety of replies.

....well Helen...know you from e mail by Max on other TA site...

used sherescope...good package but indicators were not too accurate...used indexia...for some time until died a death...currently use Updata TA..which is still being finished by Updata...the best of the lot has been Metstock...

I believe that it is not what package you use...but how you use it and how do you engage your brain while doing it that counts...

So if there are not many on this site who use Metastock then fine...common puropose is to beat market and make money in the process...

zambuck

...oops...posted on wrong thread still learning and getting around the site

Hi Zambuck

You can delete a post by clicking the edit button at the bottom right of your post, and ticking delete :)

I can verify it works, I've used it often enough :D

FTSE Beater - didnt notice that little edit button.............

Does that mean I can delete all those sad posts about Liverpool and enter some good ones about Chelsea :))

LOL Splurge.

There is a very clever system on T2W that delete's any bad stuff said about Liverpool - well if there isn't, there should be. Sharky your task has been set ;) :D

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and thought I'd say howdy.

I actually started trading UK/US shares holding for days/weeks but this was before the war (I sound like Albert from Only Fools ...), and the shares were going ape with no rhyme or reason. And when you go short on a share and a few days later an analyst upgrades the stock, as happened, I thought it was time to change tack.

I now spreadbet the Dow Jones Daily through IG using charts from eSignal as my guide. Still learning and making silly mistakes (like now cutting losses or being too quick to crystalise a gain - I'm sure we've all been there). Anyhow, hope to pick up tips/advice here and it's great to see so many intelligent people.

Keep up the good work T2W and good luck everybody.