Introduce Yourself

ronjw

Hi. Ron here. I just happened onto this site looking for some reviews on a certain site and got lost. I'm glad I did get lost. I am 68 and retired and want to learn about trading. I haven't done anything like this before and want to try just to keep myself busy. I will try in demo account first and see how I do. I can imagine the outcome and hope I learn quickly.

Good luck Ron. Personally ( and as trading teacher) I think demo accounts only lead to dashed hopes. Without the phycological stresses from trading with your own money, a demo trading account add's nothing of any value

Without the phycological stresses from trading with your own money, a demo trading account add's nothing of any value

Under other circumstances, I'd feel a longer post coming on, listing all the numerous advantages of practising on demo accounts before funding a live one.

But not today, as I don't have time <space for sighs of relief all round>. Not even for the otherwise mandatory wisecrack about algae.

So I'll confine myself to saying simply that I'm shocked to see someone who teaches trading offering this opinion, and that I hope Ron appreciates that it's a very unorthodox, unrepresentative and "extreme minority" perspective. :(

yeah, that's me a wild, crazy unorthrodox, & extreme guy! :D
I really do believe that demo accounts lead to a false sense of security, they don't "stress test" the individual, and there isn't any sense of loss when a trade goes wrong- it's just a video game effectively!

Under other circumstances, I'd feel a longer post coming on, listing all the numerous advantages of practising on demo accounts before funding a live one.

But not today, as I don't have time <space for sighs of relief all round>. Not even for the otherwise mandatory wisecrack about algae.

So I'll confine myself to saying simply that I'm shocked to see someone who teaches trading offering this opinion, and that I hope Ron appreciates that it's a very unorthodox, unrepresentative and "extreme minority" perspective. :(

I really do believe that demo accounts lead to a false sense of security, they don't "stress test" the individual, and there isn't any sense of loss when a trade goes wrong- it's just a video game effectively!

Only if one does it wrong.

Db

Hey welcome and hope you can get the adrenaline rush that a lot of us get when getting a huge profit. :)

-Sam

Hi. Ron here. I just happened onto this site looking for some reviews on a certain site and got lost. I'm glad I did get lost. I am 68 and retired and want to learn about trading. I haven't done anything like this before and want to try just to keep myself busy. I will try in demo account first and see how I do. I can imagine the outcome and hope I learn quickly.

Welcome Ron.

Trading's a fascinating game. Be prepared for it to try to take over your waking life. Just some very broad-brush tips I would humbly offer -
* trading isn't just daytrading
* there are no shortcuts to competence through mass seminars or expensive academy courses
* money management (partly through risk management) is key
* in the early days, keeping in the game is your objective, not profits: always use stops to limit your risk
* make a trade plan, keep it objective and simple, but always follow it
* be aware of news but ignore news commentators
* be guided by what you could lose in a trade over what you could win

I hope it goes well, that you enjoy it and that you will visit back here as you develop your trading.

Hi, I'm Marco. I'm new to investing and so am glad to join this forum with the aim of learning how to invest or trade in stocks for moderate gains. Glad to be on board!

Hi Ron, I am glad that you have joined this forum to learn Forex. Yes you can learn here with the experience of fellow members of this forum with asking questions here.

Hello beautiful people....
Warm greetings from this enthusiast
Actually a newbie here but have been into trading for about 3 years now. Really glad to come across a forum like this and wish to grow in my trading knowledge. Looking forward to gain a lot from here and equally be of help too.

Denis