Heads Up - Tips & Recs

You can also look at all that money that is getting puked out of Apple. Investors will want to put it somewhere, probably another tech company. If RIMM starts climbing that money may "pile on" and give a nice boost.

Peter

Yes very valid point. No matter how bad the markets are money has to be invested, stashed or cleaned somewhere ;)

Even my friends who were hyped up on Apple are wondering about the Nexus 7 and Android now. Apple Fad is fading fast... Three Fs could be followed with another
F ailure :eek: Scary. :(

Ah...same company, different class of stock. My bad!

Company was rebranded with new ticker symbol last week = BBRY

Don't mind me. I'm a week behind apparently. :)

Peter

Last edited:
Ah...same company, different class of stock. My bad!

Company was rebranded with new ticker symbol last week = BBRY

Don't mind me. I'm a week behind apparently. :)

Peter

I heard aobut the name change some time back and forgot me self.

Anyhow, they had so much press last year about excess old stock and technical issues but all the bad news is out there and new prod in pipeline. So I'm in.

Here is a bad write up fwiw.

5 Toxic Stocks You Should Sell in February - Stockpickr! Your Source for Stock Ideas

So without further ado, let's take a look at five "toxic stocks" you should be unloading in 2013.
BlackBerry

Don’t let yesterday’s price action (or the new ticker symbol, changed from Research In Motion's RIMM) fool you, BlackBerry (BBRY) is still the same stock it was last week. The $6.8 billion cell phone maker spent most of the last year in a downtrend, dropping like a rock as competing handsets shoveled market share away from the firm. And even though the oversold stock bounced hard in the last quarter, it still looks toxic at this point.

Great thread, thank you Atilla.

I just wish I understood more of what isatrader has shared. Time for a new book I think.

I've had my eye on the 3D printing space (additive manufacturing). The technology is getting closer to mainstream but my sense is that it is a bit over-hyped at the moment and Gartner seems to agree - whether you value Gartner's opinion is another matter entirely ;-)

Here's a link to the Gartner hype cycle graphic: 3D Printing Hits the Peak of the Gartner Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies - Shapeways Blog on 3D Printing News & Innovation
I'd suggest that there are a lot of on trend investment opportunities within this lot that just need to be uncovered :smart:

Anyway, back to 3D printing, there seems to be two plays on this; SSYS - Stratasys and DDD - 3D Systems Corp. both Nasdaq listed. They have done extremely well over the last 12 months and corrected a little. I am planning to buy and hold in my SIPP and potentially top up on any further pullbacks (or after a crash if the Elliot Wave guys are correct).

Last edited:
Great thread, thank you Atilla.

I just wish I understood more of what isatrader has shared. Time for a new book I think.

I've had my eye on the 3D printing space (additive manufacturing). The technology is getting closer to mainstream but my sense is that it is a bit over-hyped at the moment and Gartner seems to agree - whether you value Gartner's opinion is another matter entirely ;-)

Here's a link to the Gartner hype cycle graphic: 3D Printing Hits the Peak of the Gartner Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies - Shapeways Blog on 3D Printing News & Innovation
I'd suggest that there are a lot of on trend investment opportunities within this lot that just need to be uncovered :smart:

Anyway, back to 3D printing, there seems to be two plays on this; SSYS - Stratasys and DDD - 3D Systems Corp. both Nasdaq listed. They have done extremely well over the last 12 months and corrected a little. I am planning to buy and hold in my SIPP and potentially top up on any further pullbacks (or after a crash if the Elliot Wave guys are correct).

One of my consultant colleagues was thinking of buying such a printer for around £3K but not sure if he did and then he subsequently left.

I was thinking along the lines of this sort of thing for my son. LEGO.com Products

He goes online to buy special pieces for silly money like £5. For the amount of plastic it is a lot. However, with handling and postage I'd say it was fair value.

I know spectacles are silly money. I wonder weather with something like this it may be possible to have 1000s of Elton John style specs. I'm thinking Swatch perhaps. Could well become a big hit but then again may flop.

I always like to htink of value in terms of real benefit; things people need and features which are nice to have.

Yep certainly very interesting technology but I was thinking of the functional uses and mass take up. Nothing comes to mind in a big way but then again it could be down to my lack of imagination.

Be interesting to see how it progresses and be interested in updates. :)

Someone much smarter than me has already laid out what seems likely to happen. Simon tends to be right with these kind of calls: Bits or pieces?: Spoiler Alert ... 3D printing

In theory you could manufacture just about anything. Break a plate -> print a new one, need a part for the car -> print a new one. There is also a slightly darker side - BBC News - Plans to print a gun halted as 3D printer is seized

The Lego link is interesting because that throws up the whole thorny issue of copyright, IP and patents. I think this will be a major battleground. By the way, Lego was never that cool when I was a kid.

I don't think 3D printing is quite ready for consumer prime time just yet. Like you, there is nothing I would really want to 3D print but that will change quickly I suspect. Until then there is undoubtedly money in the B2B market.

Oh, and Alexander Elder has written on the subject. It's a pretty short book but worth a read if anyone is interested: Elder.com: Education for Intelligent Traders

Really getting positive vibes about the new BB Z10.

Phones 4u - YouTube

I like having personal and business phone in one. Functionality, features and look - are all great.

This one is a winner. :)

Strong buy still imo @ 16.90 (y)

Really getting positive vibes about the new BB Z10.

Phones 4u - YouTube

I like having personal and business phone in one. Functionality, features and look - are all great.

This one is a winner. :)

Strong buy still imo @ 16.90 (y)

I got in shortly after, at around 16.45, but now i'm second guessing myself!

A few setbacks have occurred. Technical difficulties during a major presentation/demonstration. And now, Home Depot drops ~10,000 Blackberry units and picks up iPhones for executives/managers.

I'm sure it will bounce back ... hopefully good news on the way.

I personally wouldn't be interested in the device based on what i've read, but i've never been a Blackberry user in the past. I just hope they can fix their problems quickly and retain loyalty from the big companies that use the phones.

The release in the US will be the true test.

I got in shortly after, at around 16.45, but now i'm second guessing myself!

A few setbacks have occurred. Technical difficulties during a major presentation/demonstration. And now, Home Depot drops ~10,000 Blackberry units and picks up iPhones for executives/managers.

I'm sure it will bounce back ... hopefully good news on the way.

I personally wouldn't be interested in the device based on what i've read, but i've never been a Blackberry user in the past. I just hope they can fix their problems quickly and retain loyalty from the big companies that use the phones.

The release in the US will be the true test.

Really need to wait past release in the US after March. Verizon has had good reviews stating it was very stable.

I've seen the product and it supports two Sims meaning it can support two numbers. Certainly is a step in the right direction.

Existing BB users will definitely want this product. I've already requested it from our company. Only a matter of time before BB handsets are upgraded.

We'll also have to see how the iphones cope and what issues they raise. This is also a sort of pilot test. Majority of BBs still maintained. If iphones throw up issues and they choose to keep BB think what message that will send out. Too early to say imo.

I'm still in and will stay that way for sometime to come. Having said that I am a heavy BB user.

Really need to wait past release in the US after March. Verizon has had good reviews stating it was very stable.

I've seen the product and it supports two Sims meaning it can support two numbers. Certainly is a step in the right direction.

Existing BB users will definitely want this product. I've already requested it from our company. Only a matter of time before BB handsets are upgraded.

We'll also have to see how the iphones cope and what issues they raise. This is also a sort of pilot test. Majority of BBs still maintained. If iphones throw up issues and they choose to keep BB think what message that will send out. Too early to say imo.

I'm still in and will stay that way for sometime to come. Having said that I am a heavy BB user.

Down 18% in three days! I apologize for bringing my bad luck to this stock. I appreciate your optimism as well as your insight. Its starting to look like i might be in this one for the long haul.

Down 18% in three days! I apologize for bringing my bad luck to this stock. I appreciate your optimism as well as your insight. Its starting to look like i might be in this one for the long haul.

Don't believe in bad luck. It has simply retraced to 38% Fib level after a good run. That's after tripling since last Sept. All the bad news is out. Need to wait and see the Z10 reception. $20 will be tested imo.

Hi Guys,

New tip from yours trully. Buy Blackberry - Research In Motion Ltd

BBRY:NASDAQ GS Stock Chart - Research In Motion Ltd - Bloomberg

Current Price = 1620 USD

I feel their new BlackBerry 10 device is going to maintain its position and win some others over from the stale Apple and new Samsung devices.

This is a product which major blue chip global enterprises currently use and I see no need to change.

Devil you know is better than the one you don't.

imho Buy now before expected March release in the US. (y)

Hey guys,

Totally got BlackBerry's new release wrong. 50% loss. (n)

However, Splunk Inc has more than made up for it with 110% gain. (y)

Just for the record Im now totally out of both shares.

Not sure if Splunk has further to go but is attracting attention and competition is hotting up. It pretty much is becoming established technology. Some word out similar stuff maybe given out as free-bees with high end services charged.

(y)