Forex Trading - December 2003

Newtron Bomb said:
A stop is only good if the price trades at a given level so if the price gaps the stop order wont usually be triggered

In such circumstances you may start thinking about phrases which include "a chocolate canoe" and "condom machines in the Vatican"

Regards
NB

Not quite...FXCM gaurantee your stops etc...I just spoke to them on "chat"

http://www.fxcm.co.uk/

:D

I waited and waited. Then got in on the up :cheesy:

Happy to say did not do my usual thing and wait for it to go further - got out with 50 pips on eur/usd and 40 pips on usd/chf.

Makes a nice change to control my greed :devilish:

cmc SB just confirmed that the stop would have fired at the first available price. Only way to control this type of risk is a CRB (controlled risk bet) :rolleyes:

i have to admit that im wary of holding over the weekend if i dont have a profit cushion :eek: even though 9 times out of time 10 its ok.

Last edited:
Guys

I'm new to forex and I thought one of the advantages is it never closes( 24/7 ), hence no gaps... Wrong...!!

A question for the experienced: are gaps that common.?

Cheers Snip

neil
fair play but i was speaking generally.

snip
it will be relevant to the market and economic conditions.
The weekends event is a one off and therefore will be unusual for it to happen.

Regards
NB

DT
I wouldnt take cmc's word for it. I have seen the price trade 20 pips past my stop order level... no gaps it traded gently down... with no execution.

regards
NB

No probs Newtron - your point is still very important to bear in mind.

neil
i'm curious now, did you add the condition "in a gap like at todays open?" because if the market doesnt trade at a level how can they execute your order? other than at market, which in a gap like today could have been 100pips away from your stop trigger

Regards
NB

Newtron
Use the fxcm link above and then the chat function. The guy should settle any outstanding matters for you. Be interesting to see if two "chat" representatives agree.

To clarify the stop order question this is the transcript from fxcm
in short they provide a service to protect against this type of eventuality.
However, no ne else does,so you are back in the chocolate canoe in the fiery rivers of hell with someone else when the **** falls out the market like it did.

FXCM-: Welcome to FXCM's Live Chat feature. You are now chatting with an FXCM representative. How can I help you?

You are now chatting with 'FXCM~'
you: hello, curious about stop orders on a gap like todays open
you: will i get filled a stop price or market which could have been anywhere upto 100pips
you: away
FXCM~: we are the only market maker
FXCM~: that actually guarantees stops, limits and entry orders,
FXCM~: even when the market gaps
you: right
FXCM~: and also executing you at that EXACT level
you: so for example
FXCM~: which is actually pretty unrealistic
you: if my order was with a competitor my statement would be true
FXCM~: well at another market maker your stop or limit simply would not be honored at all
you: i do appreciate the loose term of at my stop order price
FXCM~: if the market gaps it technically never passed through your price
you: thank you this is as i thought
you: you have been very helpful
you: so you and only you will guarentee a stop at best when triggered, but it would be fair to say that competitors do not offer this service
FXCM~: indeed

Conclusion - dont guess and do your homework

neil
we are both correct ;) lol :LOL:

I hope his clears up the debate

Best wishes
Newtron Bomb

Newtron

Chirac might hire us to write a new Euro constitution
:D

NB

Thanks for your help.. I am currently using both FXCM and Oanda's demo platforms and was thinking of going with Oanda because they have no minimum position size, also there spreads are better. But after reading the above I just might change my mind..:)

Cheers Snip

NB RE cmc stops etc

Sure i can imagine it can happen. No smoke without fire as they say :rolleyes: . I guess the point could be argued with them, a friend of mine has just got money back from IG when their platform froze as he was bailing flat. After a bit of "It must be your end its not our fault" from IG he told them "well everything else was working at the time (charts etc)! If your dont close me at X price ill close my acc and go back to fins"! :mad:

They closed him at the price he wanted :D .

To much of this platform freezing goes on at critical times imho., hard to believe its 'all coincidence

FX Thoughts for the Day - 16/12/03
> Morning Edition
> 1200 IST or 0625 GMT
>
> Euro @ 1.2335/40....Targets 1.2375-1.2400
> R: 1.2357 / 1.2375 / 1.2425-35
> S: 1.2300 / 1.2261-52 / 1.2234-20
> Strong upmove in the US session. Assumption of profit-taking correction proved wrong. Target of 1.2375 and 1.2400 seems feasible for the day. Supports as above. Yet, there's a sense of foreboding that a medium term top should be forming soon. The way the market played out in the 27-May to 16-June period this year (it stalled after hitting 1.1935) may give an idea of how things might turn out this time.
>
>
>
> $-Yen @ 107.71/6...Sideways?
> ----------------------------------
> R: 107.87 / 107.98-108.00 / 108.15
> S: 107.64-54 / 107.30-25 / 106.90-85
> The Yen has been more stable. Expect Support above 107, near 107.30. Chances of small rally towards 108.15-25 looks possible. Bearish only on break of establisghed low of 106.73. Sideways between 107.50-108.50 for now.
>
>
>
> Euro-Yen @ 132.92/7....Holding Long
> --------------------------------------------
> R: 133.50 / 134.3 / 135.18
> S: 132.25 / 132.13-03 / 131.81 / 131.68
> 200-day MA Support now at 131.81. The market has consolidated near it over the last 4 days and now seems likely to move up further towards 135.
>
> Our earlier Long (131.25) was squared at 131.70 in yesterday's early morning trade. We've gone Long again at 133.00 today. Forecasting 135 is easy. Trading for it is more difficult when stupid volatility takes you out of a good position.
>
> Holding:
> EUR 20K Long at 133.00, SL 132.00, TP open
>
>
>
> $-Swiss @ 1.2591/6...Can fall to 1.25
> ----------------------------------------
> R: 1.2630 / 1.2654 / 1.2662-69 / 1.2680
> S: 1.2588-78 / 1.2550 / 1.2500
> According to the 4-hour Chart, we should either see a sharp fall towards 1.2550-30 or a sharp rise towards 1.2650 during the European session. A 30-50 point follow-through in the direction of the move may also take place. The downside looks more probable than the upside.
>
> Order:
> Sell $25K at 1.2570, SL 1.2615, TP 1.2510
>
>
>
> Cable @ 1.7459/64....Staying out
> ---------------------------------
> R: 1.7470 / 1.7497 / 1.7512
> S: 1.7453 / 1.7442-39 / 1.7417
> Not advisable to take fresh Longs. Looks like the oxygen is getting thin now. Levels above 1.7550 may be difficult to achieve and sustain. At the same time, see decent Support for the day near 1.7420-15. Buying on a dip towards 1.7350 (if seen) might be good. Not now. Can we sell? No. Staying out.
>
> Happy Trading!

Kshitij Consultancy Service

MACD Divergence?

The MACD on 5min and 15min charts appear to have neg. divergence. So my question is," do you think macd Div. is a useful tool for forex TA ?"

Attachments

• asidiv.jpg
    asidiv.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 483
Neil
If you have faith in what you do consistently over a long period of time you should do well given that you have all the elements of a winning strat.

MACD is a good tool if you know how to use it as is cci rsi and all the other tools of the trade.

Understand one tool well enough to use proficiently learn its strengths and weakness etc etc.

Changing from one tool to the next as soon as it fails wont help your trading both physically and mentally.

Stay with a few things that you are happy with or you like and do them well.

Happy trading
Newtron Bomb

Newtron
Sorry - bad phraseology on my part. I meant that I like the macd divergence signals - are others followers of the macd?

I see the price has dipped as per neg macd but might bounce from 2315 the nearby 5 min low.

i think then you have answered your own question about its usefulness ;)

personally i dont trade them but i have followed them in the past to see what all the commotion was about

Horses for course i suppose

sorry its not much help to you
NB