FAT32 File System

johnk49

Need some help please!When I start up my computer I'm getting a message on the screen saying my disc needs to be scanned because there are corrupted files on something called FAT32 File System.What is that?

I'm using Medved QT and IB's TWS,have these got anything to do with it?my computer is fairly new and has Windows XP.I would appreciate any advice.Thanks.

Click on Start, then Run.

type :

chkdsk c: /r

(where "c" is your hard drive).

Windows will give you a DOS box saying Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time the system restarts? Y/N

Hit "Y" and press enter.

Then reboot the PC. THe next time it starts, Windows will scan and repair any damaged sectors of the hard drive.

It's nothing to do with the applications you're running - more likely just that Windows didnt shut down properly at some point.

Then I would recommend running convert c: /FS:NTFS if your system is important to you...

JonnyT

Fat32

Jonny,when I type in what you suggested,under Command Prompt,I get the reply"The type of file system is FAT32.Enter current volume label for drive C:"

What do I do here?Thanks.

Fat32

It's ok,cracked it.Thanks rossored and JonnyT.Took me quite a bit of time to find the volume label,apparently it's ACER.Once again thanks.

Why don't you install recovery consol? You'll find more info here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

If you have a problem, then you should be able to deal with it outside WinXP, i.e. you can run CHKDSK /r or whatever before you start WinXP.

FWIW, while hear what JonnyT says about NTFS I much prefer FAT32 because it's much more transparent than NTFS.

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Mayfly said:
FWIW, while hear what JonnyT says about NTFS I much prefer FAT32 because it's much more transparent than NTFS.

Mayfly
But a lot less resilient and reliable....

JonnyT