Corrupt configuration! Help!

Problemcompy

Hi there,

computer restarted because of a power outage, now I'm getting this message:

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
windows\system\32\config\system
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up using the original set up cd rom. select 'r' at the first screen to start repare"

I've tried starting in "safe mode" and from "last good configuration" but it hasn't worked.

I tried the hard way by booting from the cd, but my biggest problem is that the computer won't boot from it, and keeps going to the same error message above. I've already checked my BIOS and it's set to "removable device" I'm not sure how else to proceed.

Please HELP! :(

Note: I'm using a Dell, windows XP Home Edition

I've already checked my BIOS and it's set to "removable device"
It really should specify the drive that you want to boot from.

The only other thing I can think of is to try booting into safe again, but with command prompt, when the boot stalls identifying the problem try typing chkdsk /r and hit enter. Not sure that it will give you time to type this, or that it will work, its basically an instruction to the computer to run a full test of the disc and file system, in theory if it does this it will ask you to insert your windows cd when it locates the problem. It can take some considerable time to run depending on the size of your HD

Alright...I manged to finally get the right thing in BIOS for it to boot from the CD

However when I'm in the recovery console it asks:

"1: c:\WINDOWS

Which windows installation would you like to log onto <To cancel, press ENTER>?"

I go to type in "1" and than "ENTER" and then it freezes and I can't do anything.

You're going to need to be able to start it either from the CD or from a bootable CD such as Knoppix (linux on DVD) or if you know someone who has a bootable version of Windows such as Windows PE. The files that you need to replace are system files and the only way it can be done is if those files aren't in use.

This file can be damaged during power-offs during boot, power cuts and so on. It's one of several files that Windows can't boot without. If you can't repair it then your only option is a reinstallation, but that's a shame because the rest of the installation is probably fine.

If one of the above options isn't available, take it to a local PC shop (NOT PC World imo) and get them to fix it. Shouldn't be more than an hour's work, as it's a ten minute job for a competant repair facility.

EDIT: when you say it 'freezes', how long are you waiting afterwards? Normally after you select the installation there is a pause of a few seconds or more, and you'll eventually be presented with a DOS prompt.

Alright...I manged to finally get the right thing in BIOS for it to boot from the CD

However when I'm in the recovery console it asks:

"1: c:\WINDOWS

Which windows installation would you like to log onto <To cancel, press ENTER>?"

I go to type in "1" and than "ENTER" and then it freezes and I can't do anything.

Sorry, that would be me out of my depth, fallen by the wayside.
When you do get it fixed I would consider spending a little money on an adequate recovery setup, one of the most overlooked aspects of computing imho.

Hmm..I will probably end up having to get it repaired by a friend of mine who fixes compys, but thank you for your help.

I waited an hour or so to see if it would unfreeze, it never did.