Help!!

sgrech

17 0
I recently purchased a new computer and it had been working fine until a couple of days back.
This is what happened. (n.b. I have emailed the company that I bought the computer, but as yet they have not responded).

When I switched on the machine and started to boot it up, i noticed that the system reported that the processor was 1.25ghz (instead of 1.66ghz).

Then the following information was displayed

Auto-detecting Primary Master IDE Hard Disk
Auto-detecting Primary Slave not detected
Auto-detecting Sec Master ATAPI CDROM
Auto-detecting Sec Slave ATAPI CDROM

Primary Master A93.05 Maxtor 6L060J3 Ultra DMA Mode - 5, Smart Capable but disabled

Sec Master : 1.05 Aopen CD-RW CRW4048 1.05 20020605
Sec Slave : 43 DVDROM

CMOS Settings Wrong
CMOS Memory Size Wrong

Press F1 to run set-up or load default values and continue

Upon seeing this I selected load default values and continue. Windows began to load and then the screen went blank.

I restarted the computer and experience the same messages.

This time I went into set-up (not that I know much about this sort of thing!), and noticed that the date and time was set incorrectly. This was the only thing that I changed and then saved these changes.
Windows began to load then I received another message saying that a problem with loading windows had been experienced. I was given several options to choose from. i selected the option to load windows with the last known working setttings.

Windows successfully loaded but I was then told that the system had recovered from a serious error. I check under my computer and the processor still is being shown as 1.25ghz instead of 1.66ghz.

The pc is currently working, but obviously there is still a problem.
My brother suggested that is probably a problem with the motherboard.

Anyone else have any opinions??

Simon

ChartMan

Legendary member
5,580 46
The CMOS battery is faulty/low voltage, causing the CMOS memory to lose it's settings. The CPU speed has defaulted back to 100Mhz and needs to be set to 133 Mhz. IF this is a new motherboard, I would insist it is changed. The cmos battery should last at least a few years. You can set the bIOS to "default" but you will stiil need to set the CPU speed.
There is an outside chance that this is just a one off glitch, but I doubt it.

sgrech

17 0
thanks Chartman for such a quick and useful response.

do you think I can continue to use the PC, until I can return to the supplier?

simon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock