Dow Intraday charts 02/06 - 06/06

I use the free Quotetracker software with Stockwatch real time feed. It works out at $15.99 a month. It took a bit of time to set up and the data seems be half a second behind lycos live charts at times but it is fine for my purposes. There are more expensive real-time feeds that might be a bit faster.

Here is a screen shot

http://www.s-rees.co.uk/temp/dow.GIF

and the Quotetracker website

http://www.medved.net/quotetracker/

Thanks BB -- I should have asked over on the proper board -- Don't want to clutter this one up too much.

Oatman,

hiya m8, honestly forgot what I faffed about im me own posts - classic innit.... feel a bit like Trigger from Only Fools and Horses..... :)

Cheers

chartman

I've been watching the DOW on and off all day and this curving uptrend seems to be extremely powerfull - is there a proper name for them and how common are they (is it the handle of a cup and handle?)

Not a cup and handle.... they're very rare on the DOW.So far, today is a "messy " day....

Sorry, just another quickie tonight.... Tricky start with the DOW wandering around with no conviction. Having closed above 9027, we must be looking to hold the 9K break... RS Switch was a good long call and an out on the nd top just bofore the close.
The channel dropped a bit today, but returned to broadly up... 9020 is still in there as an RS point.

Attachments

• dow 05-06-03 1 mina.gif
    dow 05-06-03 1 mina.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 379
Well, had been an ok week for me until yesterday. Thurs action chewed me up and spat me out - lost all the gains I had made the days before - a case of learning to avoid chasing a whippy market I guess :(

here's a quick observation. When you get a nice trending day (up or down) like Wednesday then the following day is more often than not choppy as the market catches it's breath. If you have a trend following system then just take the day off and spend your profits from the day before, else you'll end up giving them all back. When I noticed this fact and felt comfortable not looking at trading for a whole day I doubled the overall return from my system. Not trading is a position when the market conditions aren't right for your particular system. It's all about probabilities, nothing else.

another thing, Mondays are usually (about 80%) good trending days. Thursdays and Fridays are the chopiest.

sidinuk,

An interesting observation and I agree with it in the current market. But looking back a bit, a large trend day is quite often followed by another one. There are lots of times in the past where the Dow goes up a lot one day and down a lot the next. There are also lots of times when the trend continues for several days. At the moment the Dow is in a narrow range and doesn't seem to be acting in a typical fashion.

Since the 7/4/03, I can't find a day with a range over 200 points. When the Dow breaks out of this narrow range, it might pay to trade every day again.

Thx chaps. Was expecting a selloff yesterday - my first mistake was going short at the bottom and then spent the rest of the day chasing. Might implement a policy of two losing trades in a row and I give up on the day.

Pleased to hear that.
I've just got set up with IB, twiddling me thumbs for a week waiting for ££ to go through, I've watched some lovely moves go by and now I've started finding my way around the thing stops! Still it's only cost me a few $ in my impatience.

Good luck

ARRRRGH - Mombasa, not pleased to hear that. Your post appeared while I was doing mine. We were referring to similar.
Cheers

Ok CM, What's the entry strategy in this situation - go long asap or sit and wait until a pullback or ?????

I hate these kind of premarket moves.

Looks like the INDU might hold on to 9100- the market Tracker suggests that the next short term move is up. ( 1min)

Lines on chart are optimised indexia short averages. Notice how they cross and the 121 av goes above the price action while the market Tracker is at +100( Thus intimating that it has a 100% chance of heading South- just wait for the confirmation from other indicators & Hey Presto!!

Attachments

• dow jones.jpg
    dow jones.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 314
Also have the 14 day RSI for the INDU up at c. 72 the S&P 500 looks to have produced a shooting star candlestick with the top at 1010, could be a top for a while. Comments please.

!4 Day RSI also up near the 70 mark.

Attachments

• s&p 500 index.jpg
    s&p 500 index.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 309