Best Thread Capital Spreads

New charts are poor.

Cumbersome, complicated, jerky aspects and DOW keeps freezing.

If the situation does not improve I will move to another sbet company.

I am well and truly fed-up!

i emailed cs and they said they arent going to go back to the old charts, so i guess its get used to the new ones or go elsewhere, which is a shame as im new to spread betting, was happy with cs in all other aspects, but unless i can set up charts easily, my way, its a major problem, screws with the mind etc etc ... not good for trading, or anything else really, am trying to find how to set up an EMA but havent yet ???

Actually, if you liked the old Caps Spreads charts, Finspreads still use the same format, just they use the mid-price, not the bid price.

I'm happy with Caps and I'm sure their charts will get back to 'live' prices tomorrow or soon.

I appear to be in the minority here but I actually much prefer the new charts to the old ones which I always thought were far too limited.

There seems to be some teething troubles on implementation but I'm sure they'll be more popular once the probs have been ironed out and people have got used to the new format.

I think the new charts look very clear and clean, but the zoom method is cumbersome. And how about a line for price, or better still, lines for both bid and ask?

Today we had issues with the price updates on the new Capital Spread charts. We have been working round the clock to address these issues and have now deployed new streaming technology. You should now see green bars on the top right of your chart, with each bar representing a different type of connection.

If you are on a '4 bar' signal you should now see that every tick updates the chart in real time, in synch with your Capital Spreads trading platform. You can also watch each individual tick update in real time by selecting 'ticks' from the interval drop down menu on the top of the chart. So far the new streaming technology looks stable and the timetotrade engineers will be on standby to tune the new servers and tweak the code should any issues arise tomorrow.

Looking forward we will be working with Capital Spreads to roll-out a series of upgrades in rapid succession over the coming weeks and months. The next set of upgrades, which I hope Simon doesn't mind me sharing with you, will be the provisioning of 150+ indicators including the ability to write your own with an Excel type expression language.

To address some of the comments:

----

Addison20 - to add an EMA to the charts, click on the "open settings" cog button that is positioned next to the interval drop down. This will open the Chart Settings window.

From here, select 'Exp Moving Average' from the 'Chart Overlays and Indicators' drop down list, adjust the EMAs parameters to suit you and click the "refresh" button to update the chart. To add additional moving averages or indicators, click the "add" button. You can add any number of MAs and EMAs to the chart as you wish.

To save the indicators and parameters as your default chart settings that you will see every time you open a new chart, click the Chart Settings "save" button.

---

twinj - you can adjust the default view on the charts to your own preference. Click on the "Open Settings" button as described above and under the section titled "Default Chart View" select your preferred view and interval period and click the "save" button. Each time the charts are opened, your default chart view and interval will be used.

----

Ross Spur - regarding zooming there are two methods, mainly the +/- zoom buttons at the top left of the chart, or using the mountain view time bar at the bottom of the chart. Try dragging the mountain view time bar drag points, or dragging the time bar left or right. In addition you can step the zoom left and right by clicking on either side of the mountain view zoom bar. As for changing the view to 'line', click on the open setting cog and change the 'Price Display' drop down menu, in the 'Chart Display' section, to 'line' and click on the save button. With regards to being able to display the bid and the ask lines, this is on our development schedule.

---

tim3 - please let me re-assure you this is not a cost cutting exercise; to the contrary this is the first phase of a roll-out that will see a number of significant upgrades over the coming weeks and months.

---

I will be watching this thread to hear your feature requests and if enough people want a specific feature I will make it happen.

It has been a very long day.

Dary
MD, timetotrade

Thanks for the clarification Dary - I have 4 bars signal and price is visibly updating live: it is in synch with the platform. Chart overall appearance and usability seems fine to me so far.

I think i will revisit my CS demo account to check out the new charts. Part of the reason for me using SLM is the MQL language and the ability to create custom indicators and EAs.

Although EAs are not in the pipeline the idea of being able to create my own indicators intrests me a lot. I always liked the execution i was getting with CS but the platform and charts were too basic. It looks like all that is changing.

Since CS are making a big effort to move to some really functional charts can i make a suggestion. If we could have other chart types (besides time based bars) like range bars or renko that would really make CS stand out from the crowd. With Renko and custom indicators i (and probably a few others) would have no use for things like MT4 for example :) and would be back tomorrow.

As for changing the view to 'line', click on the open setting cog and change the 'Price Display' drop down menu, in the 'Chart Display' section, to 'line' and click on the save button. With regards to being able to display the bid and the ask lines, this is on our development schedule.

Dary
MD, timetotrade

Thanks, but I meant a horizontal line to show current price (on candlestick chart), instead of just the highlighted value on the rh axis.

i see the new charts have raised a few comments.

Unfortunately (even after several months of testing and client liason on the demo platform) there were a few glitches on the actual launch day. These have been largely sorted and our clients now have a far better charting package at their fingertips than those previosly available.

We will continue to roll out further functionality as it arrives and cclients can see how fast we can move when asked by the fact that MACD histograms were not available on launch but were added (on client request) within a day.

I realise that 'change' is always difficult but i can assure all our clients that this is definately "change for the better". At first i did not like them but after just a few days I was using the 'demo' charts while they were in test in preference to the live ones. The new charts also update far more frequently than the old ones (which were generally set at 1 update per second). the new charts, while still only indicative, display nearly every price tick made on our systems.

I tend to like the simple chart functionality so i have my preferences set at the basic level but for those who like to work on trading strategies the back testing functionality and alert ability make our charts, truly, amongst the best anywhere.

Simon

I like the look of the charts, but why are they still 'indicative'? Why can't charts just show every tick, with bid and offer?

ross

as you may be aware no charts can show every single 'quoted' price since price activity can be extreme especially in volatile periods. Charts from exchanges will show every traded price as they have this data (a trade has been made at this price) but in general most charting products (outside of market maker charts) just show this data.

our price engines will record every single quoted price on which orders and trades are made but there are limits to the amount of data that can be sent from our pricing engines to the charting servers.

The charts must also be termed 'indicative' as there are occasionally mis quotes from the exchanges which are not tradable price levels and also times (in particular with equity products) where due to low liquidity the spread widens considerably (normally at the start and end of each trading session).

If we do not say that the prices are 'indicative' we would have to execute all stops on these widened spreads ... which i am sure you would be the first to say was totally unfair.

be careful what you wish for!

Simon

ross

as you may be aware no charts can show every single 'quoted' price since price activity can be extreme especially in volatile periods. Charts from exchanges will show every traded price as they have this data (a trade has been made at this price) but in general most charting products (outside of market maker charts) just show this data.

our price engines will record every single quoted price on which orders and trades are made but there are limits to the amount of data that can be sent from our pricing engines to the charting servers.

The charts must also be termed 'indicative' as there are occasionally mis quotes from the exchanges which are not tradable price levels and also times (in particular with equity products) where due to low liquidity the spread widens considerably (normally at the start and end of each trading session).

If we do not say that the prices are 'indicative' we would have to execute all stops on these widened spreads ... which i am sure you would be the first to say was totally unfair.

be careful what you wish for!

Simon

I take your point, but as you're the MM why can't your charts at least show exactly your quoted prices? The effect of widened spreads and the way SB prices are derived has been discussed here before. The problem from this side of the fence is that we can only trade at the prices offered, not the 'real' prices

ross

but what are 'real prices' ?...our prices are directly derived from the real market (indeed frequently our prices are tighter and more liquid than the 'real market'). We cannot show exchange prices on our charts or trading platform as these prices 'belong' to the exchanges.

our prices are always the same versus the underlying market with spot FX taken from the our own FX liquidity . indices from the futures exchanges ditto commodities and interest rate products and finally Equities taken from the various equity exchanges.

our prices in effect are as 'real' as 'the real' price

Simon