Best Thread Capital Spreads

Simon

Thank you again nice to know you will be keeping to a conventional chart.

If at any time your site experiences problems do you have the facility to advise clients on the webpage, if so where would you display such a message. For example on another site the prices were still changing which gave the appearance that all was ok, but the site was not and the prices were out of time and had no bearing on what was reall happening. It was only apparent from the charts that things were not all that they should be.

Kevin

kevin

i am sorry but i am not sure what you are describing...can you give us a call and i will try to answer your query...

simon

Simon,

Why is it that your market for Silver is only open from 13-25 to 18-25?
Silver trades much longer hours than this and IG for instance quote Siver for about 12 hours during the day.

Many Thanks,

Denis.

capitalspreads said:
kevin

i am sorry but i am not sure what you are describing...can you give us a call and i will try to answer your query...

simon

Simon

When making use of real time streaming data for your order decisions it is important to know when things are not working properly. At some point all companies making use of the internet experience the odd problem as it can be out of there control. i.e. exchange or the internet provider among others.

Obviously in most cases when something goes wrong you become aware quickly because the price quotes stop updating and where the site provides real time charts, then they also stop plotting correctly. In these circumstances it is evident there is a problem and you can take the necessary action.

However in the case where maybe just one section of the site is affected such as one instrument where for one reason or another the pricing is not correct. Again if it just freezes then you become aware very quickly. The problem I was trying to describe is where a problem occurs so that the instruments continue to stream price changes or plot the chart but are doing so with prices that are not correct. I have experienced a situation (not with Capitalspreads) where the price quotes were updating so everything appeared ok but they had fallen behind the real position due to an earlier break in the exchange feed. I only found out when I attempted to place an order and got a completely different quote, and this was during the session not out of hours. Had the situation of been reversed and I was attempting to close a position then I could have found myself losing much more than I would have wanted to.

Unless you have another source of data to back up the SB quotes then if a problem occurs where the site continues to plot wrong or delayed prices for an instrument/s then at present there does not appear to be any back up on your trading platform to notify customers of such a problem. On some sites I have used both Spreadbetting companies and conventional internet brokers have a facility to transmit a message to clients who are using the online trading platform, normally at the top of the screen with a short message and highlight's this message with a different colour flashing background. Also some display a constant reading of the connection time and processor load, if these start to continually produce static readings below normal levels you become aware of problems. I was just wondering if this might be something you could consider adding to your own trading platform as a way of safeguarding clients who would have chosen to close a deal if they were aware of site problems or that they did not miss a chance to close due to wrong or delayed price data.

I an not suggesting this is a regular occurrence or that it happens with Capitalspreads, just that it could at some point in the future and it would be nice to be ready for it when it happens. It would only affect people who tend to trade short term such as intraday, but it does leave you with a bit more confidence. Just a suggestion, nothing more.

Kevin

IG quote silver on the electronic exchange as well as the open outcry.

whilst the open outcry is open the electronic exchange closes.

the electronic exchange is much more illiquid than the open outcry and is thus subject to possible manipulation (shock horror) ...at the moment we only quote during open outcry for all of our commodity products.... this may change in the future but not short term..

simon

kevin

as soon as we become aware that there is a problem we turn the market concerned to telephone only (with the relevent tel number) you can just call us and ask the price. Before monday i would have said that we had not had any problems about slow prices for about 3 to 4 months but on monday morning we had a slow feed on our Liffe line so i cannot be too smug.

as i have said we do our best to offer our clients a great trading platform with proffesional trading capabilty but as with all things problems do occur... we monitor our competitors down times etc and can assure you that we (currently) have far fewer problems than any of them. Famous last words, I bet i will regret ever making that statement !!

good trading guys
Simon

Simon

One would expect to revert to the alternative telephone back up in such cases. Like I said things can be out of your control and it is nice to know you have achieved a good record. I take it that you do not feel the support systems I mentioned are warranted at this time.

By the way do you know the time frame for launching your rolling cash on the FTSE at a 2 point spread; so I know how long I have to work my way round your trading platform.

Kevin

Simon,
Most of your main competitors regularly put in whole page advertisements in 'Shares' magazine. I haven't noticed any for Capital Spreads over the past few weeks, although you are at least listed in the directory at the back. Any plans for stepping up the advertising? Or does it all depend on keeping costs down and taking a different approach?

Pete

My marketing manager 'Rachel' is answering this one

Yes our competitors all take out full page advert in shares magazine and that I suspect is how the magazine continues to be in business! Spread betting companies are supporting a great deal of good causes through their advertising!

Capital Spreads is a privately owned company for whom vast marketing budgets are kind of new. Huge spreads mean big marketing budgets... Small spreads ( as per CS) mean good value for clients but not such vast profits for us !!

You have spotted that we are at the back of the magazine and our feeling is that most people won't believe everything they read in the adverts, they will take the time to do some research and check out what every company has to offer.

We do run full page adverts as and when we are offered the right deal, but for now, we would rather invest our buget and energy in providing a top service to our clients.

rachel

i think this might be a small plea to up the ad budget !!

Simon

I hear that T2W advert rates are the best around..... quality target audience too..... :cheesy:

Simon / Rachel.....

Are you suggesting that some of the other spreadbetting companies make false claims in their advertising ?

Steve.

steve

i am pretty sure i said that people will not believe everything they read in an advert.... not that the advert is not true..... why ? do you believe every advert you see

Chartman

which is why rachel has just recently booked a sizable slice with them !!!

on another note I see that IG has had to close the book on house prices ...they are only taking 'closing' bets.... obviously everybody and his dog has sold the various house price indices and have gone through the risk level acceptable to IG. We were asked by a reporter recently why we didnt quote house prices and this was exactly the reason i gave for not quoting...there is no hedge.(i suppose i could ask all my staff to sell their houses !!)...

Simon

When CS get the realtime data feed up and running, as it will be compiled in-house, how will it differ from a data feed supplier in terms of price accuracy, if at all any ? or any other differences.

Also, it would be really handy to have the net change in line with the 4.30pm snapshots, as its sometimes confusing to see the FTSE at +17 when infact it is +25 or whatever...

Also, do you have any plan to update the net change faster, like every second or so ?

Perrington

capitalspreads said:
i suppose i could ask all my staff to sell their houses !!

A hard man to work for, obviously ... (Just trying to give Rachel some moral support :) )

Simon

Recently you mentioned that you intend to launch rolling cash bets on the FTSE and that this will have a 2 point spread. Will this also apply to other indicies such as the DAX and will it have a similar affect on the current spread reducing to 2 points like the FTSE.

Do you feel reducing the spread on your FTSE price will increase the number of price changes compared to the present 3 point spread.

Tight Spreads?

Simon

I have read a lot of good things about Capital Spreads on this forum and heard that they were amongst the tightest spreads around, so I created a simulated account from which to practice trading from and today the Wall Street Dec was quoted at 10216-10224 and Wall Street Oct as 10223-10229 making spreads of 8 and 6 respectively.
Would you consider these sort of spreads as 'tight'? :cool:

Probably about as tight as you'll get spreadbetting.
I've also noticed that CS prices are very close to the underlying market when compared to some other firms.
Best of luck with your efforts.

Simon

You have a glitch in the system tonight!!!!! What ya doin about it????

John

Capital spreads.

I thought it was too good to be true... Their website is well and truly stuffed and no communications from Capital Spreads at all, either by phone or e-mail.
Never mind, back to the drawing board.... :devilish:

Oh dear!!!!!! Still nothing from Capital Spreads and the site is still down. Looks like C S is going the way of other S B Companies.........................S***!!!!!

John