Best Thread Capital Spreads

Juanbyte

I have traded with all the SB's, and was attracted to D4F by their advertising. I checked them out and saw they had a big range of stocks and indices that are daily, with good spreads. NO ONE ELSE OFFERS THIS.

The point I was making to Capitalspreads is that they need to identify the reasons why D4F are so successful compared to their competitors and aim to at least match that to atract customers rapidly.

I appreciate they have to start somewhere, but that somewhere should be with something special if possible.

Unlike many start ups, Capitalspreads are in a unique situation that would be the envy on most new businesses, ie. the main player in their market has many, many (maybe the majority) of it's customers waiting for an alternative company to come along so they can jump ship. The other players obviously do not provide the Daily products or they would have D4F's customers by now. If Capitalspreads don't seize this golden opportunity then someone else will - it's being handed to them on a plate if they open their eyes. I just fear they wont and will end up as a look- a -like of the other 5. Hey - theres nothing wrong in being a look-a-like as long as it is of the most succesfull and not the rest. That is Basic Business - not rocket science.

No one is knocking Capitalspreads - just querying their offering.

Personally, I do not think they will seize the opportuinty staring them in the face - and if in six months from now I am proved wrong I will happily give a grovelling apology - honest.

Darren

we will do daily shares ,not on day one and we will only offer this in the more volatile shares (I dont think I would get much interest in daily Vodafone)... but reasonably soon afterwards..... but not rolling ones. The daily market will expire at the end of the trading day.
You will of course be able to roll the position over the phone should you so wish.
But, to be honest, day trading shud be just that 'Day Trading', if you havnt got the move you were looking for on day one do not go looking for it on the next.

Simon

Capitalspreads

That's a good start.

I agree completely that Daily shares are only applicable to volatile shares (which is why US shares are so popular).

Cap

I think Darrren is right that u have a golden opportunity & a shed load of potential custom already there & waiting. I also think he is right about having something special to attract these customers.

I believe there r many disgruntled traders at present with the above mentioned company, but we have to admit they do have the edge over everyone else.........this is probably why they have such a complacent attitude with clients sometimes.

just look at their platform & c why they do so well...........but their attitude has severally let them down.

u could take the SB market by storm..if u want to.........but I think u will have to do something radical as people have said.

A Few hints: charting, real time , Real prices!.... however u do it.
fairness & consistency of orders
Reduced 'new order tolerance from market'
customisable dealing interface for speed & ease of use.

just a few idea's.

p.s. I am fully behind U & hope u really push the boat out & succeed , U certainly have the right attitude

Regards

jay

Thank you JayGE for your comments,

you can create your own dealing sheet by clicking on the 'book' icon at the end of each market. A tick will appear on the book icon then if you look in the My Portfolio link along the top row choices -next to Orders- you will see your choosen markets are in here.

Simon

capitalspreads

since your pricing is independent of the underlying (although derived from) - there seems little point you supplying the underlying data to customers - who can get that from a charting company if they really want it - but there is a value in you supplying your own data in chart form since that is the price that people are trading

since you are a derivative of a derivative - it would make more sense for you to supply your own data which of course is unobtainable else where

Stevet,

why deter them from doing this if this is want they want to do, they will know if it is feasable for them to do it & then it is down to the customer which he trades on & where he gets the data from.

this also has a lot to do with what instrument an individual trades, how their prices track the underlying & how their 'new & stop ' orders are filled against the underlying........I do not know this yet so I am not pressuming anything.

I take yout point, but if they want to supply both & they manage it then I cant see a problem

the main thing is that what ever they supply it is 'real time' & consistant with prices, so it does nor alter when refreshing, as I know others do

Jay

Hi Darren

Thanks for your last but one reply.

I am sorry if you thought I was having a go at you, but there just seemed a lot of negative posts.

CS have given us a contact through this board and I think we have a great opportunity to put across what we would like to see from a spread firm.

Maybe we should change the thread so that everyone could put down what services they would like to see or things that are important to them.

I do not think CS will be the market leader as they do not seem to want to attrack institutional investors, I do think that they could easily become the best firm for private traders which this website is all about.

We have the opportunity here to put our veiws across and hopefully build a spread firm to our liking.

It must be said you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time

stevet

you are quite right, there has always been the oddity that forward spread bet prices on shares/fx can often bare little relationship to the underlying 'spot' price. Especially if there is a big dividend coming up.

But as the man says 'you pays your money and you takes your chance'. As long as you look at the charts on a consistant basis a fifteen minute delay should not affect long term chart levels.
A trader can see that support levels are at 'x' or resistance at 'y' etc

Simon

Dear Capital Spreads,

It would be much important to me to have real time graphing of the actual data that can be traded. So that I can complain when you don't fill a limit order!

John.

Ouch

all our secrets are out !! Our trading systems automatically announce limit orders to the dealers (unless there is an out trade) so there should be no arguements over missed levels, I hope at least.

Simon

capitalspreads

you might be the greatest spread bet company owner - but your other secret is out - if you think that someone can trade off 15min delayed charts and make money on an ongoing basis - you are not a trader for sure!

a good analogy would be getting you to cross a busy road and you would be seeing the traffic that passed 15 mins ago and not the traffic that was really there - just how spreadbetting customers feel when the market turns against them!

and its not the difference between the spot and the futures - its the difference between your company's bid and ask and the bid and ask in the real underlying market -

effectivly you are issuing you own options on the underlying ( and by extension you can price as you want ) - so for spreadbetting customers to have a trail of your pricing maybe valuable for them - i doubt it wil help them to trade - but it will give them something to look at while they work out where they went wrong!

I actually said that the charts were useful for identifying support and resistance levels. Which are not something that gets built up over a fifteen minute period. And i would actually disagree with you about a trader who is interested in the last fifteen minutes and a trader who considers his/her position taking, and places orders in the market consistent with whatever his/her long term charts are telling him/her. This would mean that the trader takes short term influences out of their dealing strategy.
That type of trader is much more likely to make money than one who is being pulled this way and that by an immediate market move, especially in spread betting where, you are quite correct, the spread does not suit the very short term trader.

Hedge funds are actually making decisions on data probably hours or days old because they are not interested in the noise of any one days movement.

Simon

I agree , trading on a day basis with delayed charts would nigh impossible

Capital spreads

A Charting package like u have already would great & a massive improvement over your competitors, if it was 'realtime', whether from underlying or your quote.........'Both' would be marvelous

jay

capitalspreads

i wish trading was just down to support and resistance and stops etc etc - but if that was what it was about - there would be no one working in spreadbetting companies or brokerages to take the bets - they'd all be trading!

and hedge funds etc make small percentage returns on capital due to having to trade large volumes of money - and those small returns mean they can go negative real easy - but those small returns can arise for hedgefunds etc without having to worry so much about trading - but thats a whole nother story!

ps - please do not take any of my comments as negative towards you - as i think its great you are on the forum to answer and correspond - you might be doing it to market your company - but most just sit on their **** and wait for the punters - so good for you!

The chart package has a massive array of different charting tools... hardly any of which depend upon short term moves .

Every trader has his own pet trading system. All I am saying is that live data charts are not the be all and end all of a traders armoury.

The question is moot anyway as we are working on a live data package which I admit will not be available on day one. But I assume that those of you for whom live charts are a vital tool must be looking at them already. So the small delay should not be too much of a hardship.

To be honest I am more concerned with making sure the system is as robust and bug free as possible before launch. As I know that fond of charts as you all no doubt are, what would really get up your wick would be an unreliable trading platform !

Simon

Simon

Fair play to u for that

the charting package is very good, when it is real time it will be the best SB charting facility

keep it up

Jay

Well actually, for those traders that are on here trying to get something for nothing, I'll tell you why real time charting is almost a non-starter: it costs a lot of money. If you'd like to open an account with a spread firm, where it costs upwards of 1000 pounds per annum, then I'm sure you'd get a Bloomberg type display and you'd be happy. But spread firms are there to make money for themselves, their backers and for their future in terms of investment. Data feeds, especially real time ones, are very very expensive. There are also legal implications - Reuters for example are very hot on stopping people re-distributing raw data without it being wrapped up in a spread first.

At the end of the day, biggest is not always best, but CapitalSpreads will have to attract some big players somehow or other in order to survive. Penny betting is profitable, but only when you have a lot of them. As for D4F, well clearly nothing has changed in the last 6 months or so. Funnily enough, in case anyone lurks here from D4F, I have my green shirt on today, the same one in fact when we had our very public disagreement on them re-quoting prices at a Shares show a year or so ago...

I'm a bit dubious about some of these comments about limit orders being announced to the dealing team, and you only being able to rollover on the 'phone...why and why I wonder?

Simon (Clark that is)

SJC

I should think most people already realise how expensive datafeeds are , as we r already paying their fees!.....also it was CAP's idea initially about the free charts & I dont know how they would manage it & if they will , but if they want to have a go who r we to deter them from doing somehing 'new & radical'.........that could always prove a good idea.

u r right ' biggest' is not always best, but I think for most Sbetters this just represents a bit more competition & choice which is a good thing & it is down to Capitalspreads to pull out the stops to succeed.

Jay

Last edited: