Best Thread Capital Spreads

we make no bones about the fact that just under 80pc of our clients lose (in fact I lead on this at our seminars). This is not strange. slightly worse numbers lose when private clients trade using Direct Access on the various futures exchanges. (as per a report from the CME a few years ago).

simon

Wonder what the percentage would be if there were no rejections, requotes, delays or designer slippage?

as only a tiny percentage of our clients are on dealer quote (under 0.5pc) the difference would be minimal

designer slippage? another fantasy story... everyone mentions it but nobody can ever come up with a factual occurance. I have stated time and again that we never bias our prices..the only change to the underlying market is the 'Fair Value' in the FTSE, Dow and Dax and this generally stays the same throughout a dealing session. Only changing if the underlying cash alters versus the Futures.

Simon

the vast majority of our clients trade in the indices, currencies and gold and oil. Hardly sophisticated instruments! They either go up or ... they go down... 50/50.

not sure why longs are always prevelant (especially as one of the whole points of spread betting is the ease with which you can bet on the down side as easily as the up) I think that it is probably psycological people feel more comfortable receiving dividend yield than paying it out and (of course) prices do usually rally more than they fall over a complete business cycle.

we do a considerable amount of client trading analysis, in fact we asked a cambridge quant professor plus his post grad team to try to come up with a predictive 'black box' based upon the actions of our clients. The result was complete random noise with no disernable trend at all.

If you like 'chaos theory' in its purest form!

we make no bones about the fact that just under 80pc of our clients lose (in fact I lead on this at our seminars). This is not strange. slightly worse numbers lose when private clients trade using Direct Access on the various futures exchanges. (as per a report from the CME a few years ago).

simon

Simon,

Thanks for that. Although there will always be doubters, I think it does you credit that you come on here to give your take. That option is also open to all the others but ...........

as only a tiny percentage of our clients are on dealer quote (under 0.5pc) the difference would be minimal

designer slippage? another fantasy story... everyone mentions it but nobody can ever come up with a factual occurance. I have stated time and again that we never bias our prices..the only change to the underlying market is the 'Fair Value' in the FTSE, Dow and Dax and this generally stays the same throughout a dealing session. Only changing if the underlying cash alters versus the Futures.

Simon
But Simon, you do play other tricks. There are way too many trade rejections these days, rejections that give you an unfair advantage.

Simon,

Thanks for that. Although there will always be doubters, I think it does you credit that you come on here to give your take. That option is also open to all the others but ...........

IG never come here but provide superb service. Simon coming here and trying to explain his faults for years is just too clever by half.

What rubbish you are spouting .. forex instruments are 24 hours ..
Many's the time the price has been 1 point from my stop and I have ended up in profit.. that tells me they are giving me a fair deal.
If you lose money you only have yourself to blame. it's a difficult game, not everyone can succeed.

Thats not true, I used them about 6 months ago and they where rubbish! I have now been dealer filled with IG! All spread betting companies are out to get you. If anyone were to take £5k per week from them they will not want thay person for very long.

Last edited:
Thats not true, I used them about 6 months ago and they where rubbish! I have now been dealer filled with IG! All spread betting companies are out to get you. If anyone were to take £5k per week from them they will not want thay person for very long.

Move to Oanda If your making that kind of money weekly..

Do you mean by "dealer filled" referral to a dealer on every position you like to open? If that is the case, I am surprised to hear that about IG.

But do not trade the news with them.

Anyone still trading news on retail forex platforms (bucket shops) needs to be locked up for their own protection, you need to be on a DMA real broker platform, even then its a really stupid thing to be doing!!

IMHO...

Anyone still trading news on retail forex platforms (bucket shops) needs to be locked up for their own protection, you need to be on a DMA real broker platform, even then its a really stupid thing to be doing!!

IMHO...
Ha ha, yes you are probably right. Lots of news traders around though, although I am not one of them when it comes to forex.

Ha ha, yes you are probably right. Lots of news traders around though, although I am not one of them when it comes to forex.

I fought with news trading with eminis and stocks in my early newbie days, then full time daytrader for over 6 years.

Whats weird is at the end of the year, end of day trading, I make the same % of returns with 1% of the time and effort.

Admittedly DayTrading was a real rush and really impressed my friends, some months we're just unbelievable returns, then back to beakeven 12 hour days..

Oh Well, we live and learn I guess...

I fought with news trading with eminis and stocks in my early newbie days, then full time daytrader for over 6 years.

Whats weird is at the end of the year, end of day trading, I make the same % of returns with 1% of the time and effort.

Admittedly DayTrading was a real rush and really impressed my friends, some months we're just unbelievable returns, then back to beakeven 12 hour days..

Oh Well, we live and learn I guess...
Yes I agree, short term trading demands a lot of effort, at times I do myself wonder if it is really worth all the time I put in. The best trades I have done is without any doubt my swing trades.

Do you mean by "dealer filled" referral to a dealer on every position you like to open? If that is the case, I am surprised to hear that about IG.

Every single time, I thought IG where ment to be the best but it seems even that is not good enough.

simon

It remains to be seen how long you keep your winning clients on your books.
Not very long, I guess. May be a few months and then they find their service degraded or their account closed.

It remains to be seen how long you keep your winning clients on your books.
Not very long, I guess. May be a few months and then they find their service degraded or their account closed.
I'm sorry, how can this be possible?
I'm not trying to be difficult Its just all seams quit bazaar..

easily, they just make your trading so difficult that you move to someone else. They only have 20% winners because all the rest have been kicked out...

easily, they just make your trading so difficult that you move to someone else. They only have 20% winners because all the rest have been kicked out...

What your saying is a class action lawsuit looking to happen, I can't see a sane company exposing themselves to such liabilities.

I'm not saying your wrong, but if true your talking jail time for thous involved, investors right not do not have a really big seance of humor about this sort of thing right now..

They only have 20% winners because all the rest have been kicked out...
This is not the reason why there are only 20% or less winners. But I agree, they are making things more difficult due to the high volatility.